Mildly Irritating: Aetolia's Pet Peeves

Comments

• TetchtaTetchta The Innocent
    edited July 2021
    Elene said:

12353  Elene        5/22/2021 
     (To Becue): It doesn't really mean much to me, as per Design 29399 (i.e nipple piercings) but what is the ruling
    then, on things like thongs and g-strings being allowed through? Those are clearly not PG-13 either, because...
    they do exactly what nipple piercings do, except they parade around as 'underwear'.

I recall that I did message Becue before about it, but I never got an answer back about it. It does feel like a bit of a double standard to allow brothels and things like the above mentioned, but not actually allow 'nipple rings'. I do understand you can attire it to be on nipples without actually mentioning it on appearance, but like.. I guess nipple is a sensitive word?
    I haven't seen a g-string in ages, I coulda sworn they weren't okay

• Toz says, "Dishonor on you (Mjoll), dishonor on your family (Seirath), dishonor on your cow (Bulrok)"
    Thongs I've def seen; but I am reasonably (like 60%) sure I haven't seen g-strings. I thought they got scrubbed away in some of the de-modernizing that went down years ago.

Mjoll
    edited July 2021
    At some point in the recent past there was a change put in so that you can't CONCEAL items that can't be removed; things like Daths, tattoos, etc. I'm not sure what exploit this was washing over, but it made it really irritating as someone who has a character with a lot of tattoo items to not be able to coceal them when they'd ordinarily be concealed, so that things like my thigh and hand tattoos are always visible no matter if I'm wearing pants or gloves. Not only has it made my worn-items list kind of a cluster, but it's also breaks my immersion a bit (doubly annoying because I have a series of aliases for re-attiring my tattoos based on visibility). I hate seeing it so much rofl. ex:
    H:6739 M:4971 E:98% W:99% B:100% Bl: 0 [cb e-]default tattoos
    attire 128459 poking out over unbuttoned shirt
    attire 130601 conceal
    attire 218457 conceal
    attire 350953 conceal
    attire 380595 inked on the left side of the neck
    attire 361905 conceal
    attire 157103 conceal
    attire 347366 conceal
    You adjust a three-headed hydra tattoo slightly until it seems more suitable.
    H:6739 M:4971 E:98% W:99% B:100% Bl: 0 [cb e-]
    You can't conceal that item.
    You adjust a tattoo of a crossed halberd-and-hammer 'X' slightly until it seems more suitable.

(poking out over unbuttoned shirt) : a three-headed hydra tattoo
                             (worn on the back) : an abstract tattoo of claw marks
                   (inked upon the right wrist) : an endlessly howling wraith-like skull tattoo
                        (worn upon the forearm) : a band of tattooed emerald flames
                             (around one wrist) : a flickering elemental brand
                          (snaking up the tail) : savage crimson and black tail dath
                     (inked along the left leg) : a portrait tattoo holding the oath of slaughter
                      (on the back of one hand) : a serpentine tattoo with a centric stylized "V"
                     (inked upon the left hand) : a carved and scarified soulstone tattoo
           (inked on the left side of the neck) : a tattoo of a crossed halberd-and-hammer 'X'
                (top buttons unbuttoned, agape) : a black, formal Carnifex dress shirt
                 (rustling in an unseen breeze) : an ecliptic waistcoat of shadowy constellations
                             (claws poking out) : a pair of tipless black lambskin gloves
                            (loose around hips) : a reinforced leather weaponbelt of the Carnifex
                            (tucked into boots) : black leather soldier's pants
                                  (laced tight) : black, knee-high laced combat boots
                                    (worn open) : a steel-grey, double-breasted longcoat
                       (glittering and chiming) : delicate starry gold hair chains
                         (spiraling up the arm) : a graceful comet armband
    I hope this gets fixed some day because it's such a disappointing change.

ValorieCallidoraAyastiaRhineXavin
    edited August 2021
    I kinda hate that I can walk through cities and see shops from people who haven't logged in to meaningfully play in 6 months to well over a year in some cases. Shops are a limited resource and it blows that, if you ever want one, you have to essentially wait for someone to:

a) truly stop playing
    b) decide it's not worth the trouble and they sell
    c) get hit by a bus IRL

I don't even understand the point of logging in once every month or three just to pay IC taxes for a game you're not even playing.

edit: yes I'm aware I'm monopolizing the thread, and no I don't plan on stopping any time soon

SeurimasRhineSryaenTsarra
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    Tetchta said:
    I kinda hate that I can walk through cities and see shops from people who haven't logged in to meaningfully play in 6 months to well over a year in some cases. Shops are a limited resource and it blows that, if you ever want one, you have to essentially wait for someone to: a) truly stop playing b) decide it's not worth the trouble and they sell c) get hit by a bus IRL I don't even understand the point of logging in once every month or three just to pay IC taxes for a game you're not even playing. edit: yes I'm aware I'm monopolizing the thread, and no I don't plan on stopping any time soon
    I've tried sending messages to people to see if it's possible to just map out their stockrooms (they really shouldn't count towards exploring, but they do), and there are some in Bloodloch who haven't been around for over a RL year. It can be pretty ridiculous. 

As for logging in to just pay taxes, in some cases it's a matter of investment. In this scenario,  you might just see yourself on a break for the time being and want it to be there when you get back to playing again. 

In other cases it's just because there are no other ways to store certain items that you might not want to let go of. I understand the players not wanting to lose sentimental stuff, but at the same time I understand that IRE doesn't want to make it too easy to create permanent stuff that take up space. At the same time, these items still take up space, and annoy people who want to use the shops for something more rewarding and game-enriching, so maybe IRE should consider an alternative so that shops are not used for that. 

I'd dump quite a bit of credits into a Vault Room type.

• LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    Teani said:

I've tried sending messages to people to see if it's possible to just map out their stockrooms

Pick up the Burrowing racial. You can dig under the stockrooms and get exploration credit.
  • RhyotRhyot Bloodloch
    edited August 2021
    Tetchta said:

I kinda hate that I can walk through cities and see shops from people who haven't logged in to meaningfully play in 6 months to well over a year in some cases. Shops are a limited resource and it blows that, if you ever want one, you have to essentially wait for someone to:

a) truly stop playing
    b) decide it's not worth the trouble and they sell
    c) get hit by a bus IRL

I don't even understand the point of logging in once every month or three just to pay IC taxes for a game you're not even playing.

edit: yes I'm aware I'm monopolizing the thread, and no I don't plan on stopping any time soon

There's a few things that go into this event and not all of it is bad. When you have things like the tipjar to pay for city taxes on season every season, putting in 250K gold into it and you're set stops shops from being taken. Add onto the fact that you can now have people allied to your shop and give them keys so that they can sell their designs, wares, curatives, etc to keep the shop stocked and this makes it difficult for any city to remove the shop forcefully (if they even have laws in place for that). Then you have in the fact that each guild is directly "owed" a guild shop (that's three shops immediately out of circulation of being able to sell things), plus an additional "city shop" (that makes four out of circulation).... when accounting for the previous changes, yeah... you're gonna be hard pressed to find a shop within city limits.

HOWEVER... there are alternatives to this:

1) Village shop artifact auction
    2) Construction market stall artifact auction
    3) Esterport shop auction sales

While these are all auction items at this point, it is an alternative. Furthermore, if you REALLY REALLY want to run a shop, if you are guilded, ask your guild leader to appoint you as shopkeeper because you're an aspiring businessman/woman and want to learn the art of shopkeeping. You could even set the previous shopkeeper to SHOP ALLY and they can assist you as well while you learn the trade.

While I get your frustrations entirely (I spent 3+ years waiting on a shop to come up for sale in Bloodloch), there are other alternatives to the problem that is being complained about.

Just my opinion.

Lin said:

Teani said:

I've tried sending messages to people to see if it's possible to just map out their stockrooms

Pick up the Burrowing racial. You can dig under the stockrooms and get exploration credit.
    Lol Bloodloch's market has a bottleneck with a Rock Solid layer hahah, you can't do it there. It's maddening.

• AeryxAeryx Docking Nipsy's pay
    Rhyot said:
    When you have things like the tipjar to pay for city taxes on season every season, putting in 250K gold into it and you're set stops shops from being taken. 
    Common misconception. Even if you have a tipjar up(and I know this from experience) you still have to login occasionally because it will no longer work if you are considered 'inactive' or dormant or whatever it is. The same status that the game shuts down your farm plots if you reach it.
    Childhood's over the moment you know you're gonna die.
    Teani
  • KerocKeroc A small cupboardAdministrator, Immortal
    edited August 2021
    Teani said:

In other cases it's just because there are no other ways to store certain items that you might not want to let go of. I understand the players not wanting to lose sentimental stuff, but at the same time I understand that IRE doesn't want to make it too easy to create permanent stuff that take up space. At the same time, these items still take up space, and annoy people who want to use the shops for something more rewarding and game-enriching, so maybe IRE should consider an alternative so that shops are not used for that. 

There is a treasure chest artifact that can be bought within a home that will store items without decaying.
    TetchtaTeani
  • Cities should consider making inactivity a criteria for losing your shop. It really does not make a lot of sense to leave valuable, community-based resources in the hands of people who have just disengaged from the community. I imagine there are some pragmatists out there who would say "if they pay their taxes and stock their shelves, why should we care?" My answer would be "because it makes for a more fun game." Seeing the names of shopkeepers and recognizing them as people in the community you can interact with is more fun. Giving new people a chance to run shops is more fun. There should just plain be a lot more turnover in shops than there is now.
    Didi has expressed her esteem of you for the following reason: Smart organized leader.
    Experience Gained: 47720 (Special) [total: 2933660]
    Needed for LVL: 122.00775356245
    LinRhyotTetchtaRhineIesid
    My only issue with that is how do you even police "activity." But yeah I agree otherwise.

Seurimas
  • Tetchta said:

My only issue with that is how do you even police "activity." But yeah I agree otherwise.

I've done the best I can with it in Duiran. The shop policy there states that if you are two seasons behind in paying shop taxes twice in a year's span, then your shop is automatically seized and auctioned off. For a while, we were requiring shop owners to speak to me at least once an IG year, but that just got annoying so as long as Rhine doesn't have to consistently bug them about paying shop taxes then I consider it all good.
    edited August 2021
    Lin said:
    Top explorer here. Already have burrowing, but some places, like Bloodloch stockrooms for example, can't be accessed that way. (Though honestly, I think I only lack four of those stockrooms at this point, and some other large part of Bloodloch (10% or so) seems impossible to find).

Tetchta
  • Seurimas said:

Cities should consider making inactivity a criteria for losing your shop. It really does not make a lot of sense to leave valuable, community-based resources in the hands of people who have just disengaged from the community. I imagine there are some pragmatists out there who would say "if they pay their taxes and stock their shelves, why should we care?" My answer would be "because it makes for a more fun game." Seeing the names of shopkeepers and recognizing them as people in the community you can interact with is more fun. Giving new people a chance to run shops is more fun. There should just plain be a lot more turnover in shops than there is now.

Spinesreach does have inactivity as a criteria for losing a shop built into the commercial code. I'm not logged in so I can't find the exact line, but we had an issue with Bama's shop briefly due to the owner going inactive (despite taxes being paid). It does come down to the Chancellor policing it, though.
  • AxiusAxius where I am
    Teani said:

Lin said:

Top explorer here. Already have burrowing, but some places, like Bloodloch stockrooms for example, can't be accessed that way. (Though honestly, I think I only lack four of those stockrooms at this point, and some other large part of Bloodloch (10% or so) seems impossible to find).

how many layers down did you go? IIRC, outside of the solid stone building upgrade, you can bypass a lot by going down -two- layers, possibly even the full three, I think? I've examined areas by doing that once or twice. Though that was a while ago, and it involved testing something someone asked me to test.
    Axius said:
    Lin said:
    how many layers down did you go? IIRC, outside of the solid stone building upgrade, you can bypass a lot by going down -two- layers, possibly even the full three, I think? I've examined areas by doing that once or twice. Though that was a while ago, and it involved testing something someone asked me to test.
    Solid ground means you can't burrow further down or any exit other than up again. Two down is standard if you're exploring.

Tetchta
    You definitely 100% can't get past the solid rock leading to the BL market district unless there's some trick I'm missing.

Regarding @Saidenn and Spinesreach, I feel like the fact that Spines has an activity clause more or less proves that it's unpoliceable; there's def shops owned by inactive owners in Spinesreach, although I haven't done a full inventory of the shops there, but I know of at least one.

• Inactivity, unfortunately, has to come down to how long it has been since they last logged in (viewable with city lastlogin). So, if the person is keeping a stock, paying their taxes, and does not meet the threshold, then yeah, we can't decide to suddenly take away a shop because they only log in once every x number of days to remain 'active' for the tipjar and city law while their friend does all the stocking.

As for inactive people, with the semi-recent sale of one shop, we are down to 3-ish owned by semi-inactive people. But as mentioned: They pay their taxes, they do not meet the threshold of days without logging in, and they(i.e. shop allies) keep sufficient stock. Not much else can be done.
    TetchtaRhine
  • BenedictoBenedicto Tentacles Errywhere!
    edited September 2021
    Another event resolution I couldn't attend because it was at 3:30am.
    ReaveTeaniObaAeryx
  • EliadonEliadon Somewhere Over the Rainbow
    Benedicto said:

fwiw, Ictinus suffers from the same problem and has said that he wants to make more events available to EU (and other time zone) folks =)
    Benedicto
    Benedicto said:

Currently events keep only happening when it's time for me to make dinner and do bedtime for my kid, I'm sympathetic to this lol. But there's lots of stuff dropping lately, so chin up my dude!

SryaenIazamatXavin
    edited September 2021
    Tetchta said:

At some point in the recent past there was a change put in so that you can't CONCEAL items that can't be removed; things like Daths, tattoos, etc. I'm not sure what exploit this was washing over, but it made it really irritating as someone who has a character with a lot of tattoo items to not be able to coceal them when they'd ordinarily be concealed, so that things like my thigh and hand tattoos are always visible no matter if I'm wearing pants or gloves. Not only has it made my worn-items list kind of a cluster, but it's also breaks my immersion a bit (doubly annoying because I have a series of aliases for re-attiring my tattoos based on visibility). I hate seeing it so much rofl.

I hope this gets fixed some day because it's such a disappointing change.

Today's clothing changes re-mildly-irritated me about this change. Not only was it coupled with the resolution of my bug of the problem calling it an intentional decision and directing me to idea it (ideasupport 3799 if you have a soul, plz), but with the current clothing setup that forces worn items into specific spots, my hand tattoos that should be completely obscured now display RIGHT NEXT TO GLOVES, making it extra stupid LOL.
    (inked upon the left hand) : a carved and scarified soulstone tattoo
    (claws poking out) : a pair of tipless black lambskin gloves
    (inked on the back of the right hand) : a serpentine tattoo with a centric stylized "V"
    I don't know what butthole player was abusing the ability to conceal perma cosmetic items (circumenting a god punishment or something?) but for the love of Pete, plz make a separate tag for things that are, like, god punishments or something, 'cause this really sucks LOL

bug resolution:

Divine punishment tattoos should be seen as Divine brands or markings instead, glowing through any efforts of concealment. Normal tattoos or things like daths that anyone can put on should definitely be possible to conceal even partially if one wants to. Hard agree on that separation.

Tetchta
  • I don't like vagueposting, but I also don't think the specifics of this situation merit sharing, especially as I am trusting that the people involved were not doing this on purpose and just made a mistake. I think, however, it still has value as a pet peeve (and a general guideline, frankly) to post here. Please do not ask me for more details as I find the situation personally and particularly gross and have no interest in being a gossip about it.

Please, please, p l e a s e for the love of all the gods ever worshipped by humanity, do not ambush me (or other people) with specific real life RP themes either in private without checking in OOC first, or in public channels accessible by many people. I have dealt with some of these things IRL and there is no faster way to ruin my day than to bring them up in RP, where I am trying to enjoy myself by pretending to be an angry and stupid pointy-eared elf, and I am sure that is the case for many other people. I do not care what you do in private RP with other consenting adults. Please just think twice before doing or sharing that with people who you've not checked in with OOC.
    NipsyRihrinCzciennAxiusObaXavinRhineFyrrenIesid
  • It's incredibly frustrating and disappointing to see people continue to stranglehold orgs, intentionally or otherwise. Y'all know better.
    TetchtaIllikaalNipsySryaen
  • IllikaalIllikaal Pray Area
    edited September 2021
    Iazamat said:

It's incredibly frustrating and disappointing to see people continue to stranglehold orgs, intentionally or otherwise. Y'all know better.

You're absolutely right, but they'll continue to do it anyway because there is nothing stopping them, barring extreme cases, if we're being serious.
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
    IazamatSryaen
  • ArasethAraseth Where I am
    More than mildly irritating, the metagaming. Especially when 9 times out of 10 you have superior numbers. I'm done for the day, see you all tonight. Have a good one.
    IazamatIllikaalSryaenCallidora