Mildly Irritating: Aetolia's Pet Peeves

1242526272830»

Comments

• TetchtaTetchta Member Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24
    Elene said:

12353  Elene        5/22/2021 
     (To Becue): It doesn't really mean much to me, as per Design 29399 (i.e nipple piercings) but what is the ruling
    then, on things like thongs and g-strings being allowed through? Those are clearly not PG-13 either, because...
    they do exactly what nipple piercings do, except they parade around as 'underwear'.

I recall that I did message Becue before about it, but I never got an answer back about it. It does feel like a bit of a double standard to allow brothels and things like the above mentioned, but not actually allow 'nipple rings'. I do understand you can attire it to be on nipples without actually mentioning it on appearance, but like.. I guess nipple is a sensitive word?
    I haven't seen a g-string in ages, I coulda sworn they weren't okay
    Post edited by Tetchta on
    "We're taught Lord Acton's axiom: all power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely. I believed that when I started these books, but I don't believe it's always true any more. Power doesn't always corrupt. What I believe is always true about power is that power always reveals. When you have enough power to do what you always wanted to do, then you see what the guy always wanted to do."
    -Robert Caro
  • MjollMjoll Member Posts: 301 ✭✭✭✭

Toz says, "Dishonor on you (Mjoll), dishonor on your family (Seirath), dishonor on your cow (Bulrok)"

Why Warhound Suck:tm:
    -no other class has to play a time gated, RNG minigame to get their class skills
    -if you want to skip the minigame, it's hundreds of thousands of gold (see above re: no other class)
    -If you wanna play the minigame, its iteration time is abysmal and can't be shortened
    -The minigame is unwinnable.
    Thongs I've def seen; but I am reasonably (like 60%) sure I haven't seen g-strings. I thought they got scrubbed away in some of the de-modernizing that went down years ago.
    "We're taught Lord Acton's axiom: all power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely. I believed that when I started these books, but I don't believe it's always true any more. Power doesn't always corrupt. What I believe is always true about power is that power always reveals. When you have enough power to do what you always wanted to do, then you see what the guy always wanted to do."
    -Robert Caro
    Mjoll
    edited August 2
    I kinda hate that I can walk through cities and see shops from people who haven't logged in to meaningfully play in 6 months to well over a year in some cases. Shops are a limited resource and it blows that, if you ever want one, you have to essentially wait for someone to:

a) truly stop playing
    b) decide it's not worth the trouble and they sell
    c) get hit by a bus IRL

I don't even understand the point of logging in once every month or three just to pay IC taxes for a game you're not even playing.

edit: yes I'm aware I'm monopolizing the thread, and no I don't plan on stopping any time soon
    -Robert Caro
    SeurimasRhineSryaen
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress SwedenMember Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tetchta said:
    I kinda hate that I can walk through cities and see shops from people who haven't logged in to meaningfully play in 6 months to well over a year in some cases. Shops are a limited resource and it blows that, if you ever want one, you have to essentially wait for someone to: a) truly stop playing b) decide it's not worth the trouble and they sell c) get hit by a bus IRL I don't even understand the point of logging in once every month or three just to pay IC taxes for a game you're not even playing. edit: yes I'm aware I'm monopolizing the thread, and no I don't plan on stopping any time soon
    I've tried sending messages to people to see if it's possible to just map out their stockrooms (they really shouldn't count towards exploring, but they do), and there are some in Bloodloch who haven't been around for over a RL year. It can be pretty ridiculous. 

As for logging in to just pay taxes, in some cases it's a matter of investment. In this scenario,  you might just see yourself on a break for the time being and want it to be there when you get back to playing again. 

In other cases it's just because there are no other ways to store certain items that you might not want to let go of. I understand the players not wanting to lose sentimental stuff, but at the same time I understand that IRE doesn't want to make it too easy to create permanent stuff that take up space. At the same time, these items still take up space, and annoy people who want to use the shops for something more rewarding and game-enriching, so maybe IRE should consider an alternative so that shops are not used for that. 

I'd dump quite a bit of credits into a Vault Room type.
    -Robert Caro
  • LinLin Blackbird The MoongladeMember Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Teani said:

I've tried sending messages to people to see if it's possible to just map out their stockrooms

Pick up the Burrowing racial. You can dig under the stockrooms and get exploration credit.

• RhyotRhyot BloodlochMember Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2
    Tetchta said:

I kinda hate that I can walk through cities and see shops from people who haven't logged in to meaningfully play in 6 months to well over a year in some cases. Shops are a limited resource and it blows that, if you ever want one, you have to essentially wait for someone to:

a) truly stop playing
    b) decide it's not worth the trouble and they sell
    c) get hit by a bus IRL

I don't even understand the point of logging in once every month or three just to pay IC taxes for a game you're not even playing.

edit: yes I'm aware I'm monopolizing the thread, and no I don't plan on stopping any time soon

There's a few things that go into this event and not all of it is bad. When you have things like the tipjar to pay for city taxes on season every season, putting in 250K gold into it and you're set stops shops from being taken. Add onto the fact that you can now have people allied to your shop and give them keys so that they can sell their designs, wares, curatives, etc to keep the shop stocked and this makes it difficult for any city to remove the shop forcefully (if they even have laws in place for that). Then you have in the fact that each guild is directly "owed" a guild shop (that's three shops immediately out of circulation of being able to sell things), plus an additional "city shop" (that makes four out of circulation).... when accounting for the previous changes, yeah... you're gonna be hard pressed to find a shop within city limits.

HOWEVER... there are alternatives to this:

1) Village shop artifact auction
    2) Construction market stall artifact auction
    3) Esterport shop auction sales

While these are all auction items at this point, it is an alternative. Furthermore, if you REALLY REALLY want to run a shop, if you are guilded, ask your guild leader to appoint you as shopkeeper because you're an aspiring businessman/woman and want to learn the art of shopkeeping. You could even set the previous shopkeeper to SHOP ALLY and they can assist you as well while you learn the trade.

While I get your frustrations entirely (I spent 3+ years waiting on a shop to come up for sale in Bloodloch), there are other alternatives to the problem that is being complained about.

Just my opinion.

Lin said:

Teani said:

I've tried sending messages to people to see if it's possible to just map out their stockrooms

Pick up the Burrowing racial. You can dig under the stockrooms and get exploration credit.
    Lol Bloodloch's market has a bottleneck with a Rock Solid layer hahah, you can't do it there. It's maddening.
    -Robert Caro
  • AeryxAeryx Member Posts: 192 ✭✭✭
    Rhyot said:
    When you have things like the tipjar to pay for city taxes on season every season, putting in 250K gold into it and you're set stops shops from being taken. 
    Common misconception. Even if you have a tipjar up(and I know this from experience) you still have to login occasionally because it will no longer work if you are considered 'inactive' or dormant or whatever it is. The same status that the game shuts down your farm plots if you reach it.
    Childhood's over the moment you know you're gonna die.
    Teani
  • KerocKeroc A small cupboardMember, Administrator, Immortal Posts: 516 admin
    edited August 3
    Teani said:

In other cases it's just because there are no other ways to store certain items that you might not want to let go of. I understand the players not wanting to lose sentimental stuff, but at the same time I understand that IRE doesn't want to make it too easy to create permanent stuff that take up space. At the same time, these items still take up space, and annoy people who want to use the shops for something more rewarding and game-enriching, so maybe IRE should consider an alternative so that shops are not used for that. 

There is a treasure chest artifact that can be bought within a home that will store items without decaying.

TetchtaTeani
  • SeurimasSeurimas Member Posts: 185 ✭✭✭
    Cities should consider making inactivity a criteria for losing your shop. It really does not make a lot of sense to leave valuable, community-based resources in the hands of people who have just disengaged from the community. I imagine there are some pragmatists out there who would say "if they pay their taxes and stock their shelves, why should we care?" My answer would be "because it makes for a more fun game." Seeing the names of shopkeepers and recognizing them as people in the community you can interact with is more fun. Giving new people a chance to run shops is more fun. There should just plain be a lot more turnover in shops than there is now.
    Didi has expressed her esteem of you for the following reason: Smart organized leader.
    Experience Gained: 47720 (Special) [total: 2933660]
    Needed for LVL: 122.00775356245
    LinRhyotTetchtaRhineIesid
    My only issue with that is how do you even police "activity." But yeah I agree otherwise.
    -Robert Caro
    Seurimas
  • RhineRhine Member Posts: 102 ✭✭✭
    Tetchta said:

My only issue with that is how do you even police "activity." But yeah I agree otherwise.

I've done the best I can with it in Duiran. The shop policy there states that if you are two seasons behind in paying shop taxes twice in a year's span, then your shop is automatically seized and auctioned off. For a while, we were requiring shop owners to speak to me at least once an IG year, but that just got annoying so as long as Rhine doesn't have to consistently bug them about paying shop taxes then I consider it all good.
    edited August 3
    Lin said:
    Top explorer here. Already have burrowing, but some places, like Bloodloch stockrooms for example, can't be accessed that way. (Though honestly, I think I only lack four of those stockrooms at this point, and some other large part of Bloodloch (10% or so) seems impossible to find).

Tetchta
  • SaidennSaidenn Member Posts: 135 ✭✭✭
    Seurimas said:

Cities should consider making inactivity a criteria for losing your shop. It really does not make a lot of sense to leave valuable, community-based resources in the hands of people who have just disengaged from the community. I imagine there are some pragmatists out there who would say "if they pay their taxes and stock their shelves, why should we care?" My answer would be "because it makes for a more fun game." Seeing the names of shopkeepers and recognizing them as people in the community you can interact with is more fun. Giving new people a chance to run shops is more fun. There should just plain be a lot more turnover in shops than there is now.

Spinesreach does have inactivity as a criteria for losing a shop built into the commercial code. I'm not logged in so I can't find the exact line, but we had an issue with Bama's shop briefly due to the owner going inactive (despite taxes being paid). It does come down to the Chancellor policing it, though.
  • AxiusAxius where I amMember Posts: 375 ✭✭✭
    Teani said:

Lin said:

Top explorer here. Already have burrowing, but some places, like Bloodloch stockrooms for example, can't be accessed that way. (Though honestly, I think I only lack four of those stockrooms at this point, and some other large part of Bloodloch (10% or so) seems impossible to find).

how many layers down did you go? IIRC, outside of the solid stone building upgrade, you can bypass a lot by going down -two- layers, possibly even the full three, I think? I've examined areas by doing that once or twice. Though that was a while ago, and it involved testing something someone asked me to test.
    Axius said:
    Lin said:
    how many layers down did you go? IIRC, outside of the solid stone building upgrade, you can bypass a lot by going down -two- layers, possibly even the full three, I think? I've examined areas by doing that once or twice. Though that was a while ago, and it involved testing something someone asked me to test.
    Solid ground means you can't burrow further down or any exit other than up again. Two down is standard if you're exploring.

Tetchta
    You definitely 100% can't get past the solid rock leading to the BL market district unless there's some trick I'm missing.

Regarding @Saidenn and Spinesreach, I feel like the fact that Spines has an activity clause more or less proves that it's unpoliceable; there's def shops owned by inactive owners in Spinesreach, although I haven't done a full inventory of the shops there, but I know of at least one.
    -Robert Caro
  • SaidennSaidenn Member Posts: 135 ✭✭✭
    Inactivity, unfortunately, has to come down to how long it has been since they last logged in (viewable with city lastlogin). So, if the person is keeping a stock, paying their taxes, and does not meet the threshold, then yeah, we can't decide to suddenly take away a shop because they only log in once every x number of days to remain 'active' for the tipjar and city law while their friend does all the stocking.

As for inactive people, with the semi-recent sale of one shop, we are down to 3-ish owned by semi-inactive people. But as mentioned: They pay their taxes, they do not meet the threshold of days without logging in, and they(i.e. shop allies) keep sufficient stock. Not much else can be done.
    TetchtaRhine
  • BenedictoBenedicto Tentacles Errywhere! Member Posts: 863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 14
    Another event resolution I couldn't attend because it was at 3:30am.

ReaveTeaniObaAeryx
  • EliadonEliadon Somewhere Over the RainbowMember Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
    Benedicto said:

fwiw, Ictinus suffers from the same problem and has said that he wants to make more events available to EU (and other time zone) folks =)
    Benedicto
    Benedicto said:

Currently events keep only happening when it's time for me to make dinner and do bedtime for my kid, I'm sympathetic to this lol. But there's lots of stuff dropping lately, so chin up my dude!
    -Robert Caro
    SryaenIazamatXavin