Sryaen Cardinalis

Yes, it's me. Guild-hopper, credit/RP whore extraordinaire. It's been so fun to come back and experience all the amazing quality of life changes to the game!

Despite his long history as a bad baddie, Sry has recently gone to the Spirit side. Let me know what you think of his character arc and growth!

Thanks!

Tell me how I'm doing!
(Web): Mileta says, "Okay... Sry is an edgelord..."

(Web): Dreww says, "Sryaen just wants to be the best Dhar boi and slaughter everyone."

Comments

• PhoeneciaPhoenecia The Merchant of Esterport Somewhere in Attica
    I know I've mentioned it to you a few times, but I definitely remembered Sryaen from years ago, but we had never interacted at all, and I had always felt like I had missed out on being able to RP with an interesting character. I'm so glad I've gotten that opportunity now. 

But where to even start?

You've mentioned in the past being self-conscious about being rusty with RPing, but honestly? I can't tell at all. Your writing is great, and you manage to portray Sryaen in a lot of subtle ways with body language, the things he says (or doesn't say), or the things he finds interest in. You also do it in a way that makes it easy to RP back and forth. Scenes have a good pace, and you do a lot without going overboard with walls of text. It's also been kind of fun pointing out all the neat RP tools that have been introduced over the years (the THINK command, Insight, being able to pose items) or offering advice on how to go about different things (the flower letters), and then seeing you integrate them as part of your regular RP. I also love that you like to balance SUPER DRAMATIC AND EPIC RP with calmer, more mundane RP, though from my experience you seem to really enjoy the mundane stuff. 

As for Sryaen as a character, I feel kind of honored and privileged to have been able to see his growth since he swapped sides, and even more so knowing Phoe has been a part of it.

Seeing him evolve from simply a soldier that lives only for battle to a weary veteran yearning for something more out of life, not really knowing what or how, but slowly realizing it has been a treat to watch over the course of so many interactions, and I'm always eager to see just how much has changed with each.

Phoe and Sryaen's interactions are always fun regardless of whether the scenes are short or something longer, and I've realized just how mundane a lot of their meetings tend to be, which kind of seems to reflect his desire for a simpler, more mundane life. Visiting Phoe in her shop, her teaching him about different flower meanings, exchanging coded flower letters, shooting the breeze and talking about life. Not every scene is epic and dramatic (in fact, I think very few of them have been), but I can tell each one has slowly changed Sry's world over time in large ways, and they've formed such a strong bond in such a short time that it still kind of surprises me.

In regards to Phoe's end of things, Sryaen started out as someone she wanted to help. Someone going through a massive life change, and who she thought could use some emotional support and a friendly face. But I think over time, they've started to help each other, though Sryaen might not see how he's been affecting her quite as visibly. I think part of what makes their bond as strong as it is is their parallel journeys: both of them trying to rise above a checkered past they can't quite fully escape, but try to be better anyway, and I think having that similar path has helped them develop a deep understanding. They also kind of seem to be living reminders to each other to remain on the paths they've set themselves on, and continue to help and encourage the other during moments of doubt or self-loathing. It leaves me excited to see how things further progress, and how they'll both look further down the line or if they achieve their respective goals.

You're a great RPer, and Sryaen is a great character with a lot of depth, and I love that interactions are pretty laidback, though even so, you let those interactions shape the character just as much, if not more than the dramatic ones. Keep it up! I've greatly enjoyed RPing with you, and I hope others get to see the amount of depth, variety, and fun I've experienced so far. <3
    Sryaen
  • SessizlikSessizlik Muffin Mage
    I can only repeat some of the things Phoenecia wrote. You are an amazing RPer from what I have seen so far. Those subtle little things Sry does really brings him to life. And like Phoe, I have seen your name around in the olden days and always wanted to be able to rp with you, but never really getting a proper chance. I am hoping to see that change!
    Sessi sortof relates to Sryaen. Despite them being each other's opposites, they both recently started waking after a long rest and are trying their best to get aquainted with the world as it is now. I am excited to see where this friendship might lead.
    Sryaen
  • edited July 2020
    It's a bit of an odd dynamic that Sryaen shares with Elene, where the relationship of a teacher and student has changed over the centuries and through her slumber, through his own slumber, to their eventual awakenings and finally to the ironical shift in relationship: of him being an old Infernal Knight holding position in its succeeding organisation, the Carnifex, and of Elene being a Squire in this very same guild (even though the disparity of rank did not last very long).
    Perhaps it's the realization of how ill-suited Sryaen has become for the Carnifex, or that the modern world has left much more in him to desire beyond his current path; whatever it is, it certainly came across as a surprise when she found out about his decisive uprooting to seek redemption with the Templars, not just a week after their brief, but sincere conversation in the Wintersbreeze Inn.
    Nonetheless, I have found a certain kind of joy in watching how Elene has juggled with the situation, trying to balance out her loyalties to the Carnifex alongside her personal ties with the man. In fact, I think Sryaen is probably the reason why she actually started visiting Enorian in the beginning, and half of the reason why she kept it up in a selfish bid to continue fostering ties as teacher and student with the man.
    Though I knew it would happen one day, I think recent roleplay events have helped solidify Sryaen's character development as he struggles with the desire to stay true to himself, while adapting to the ideals of Enorian and adhering to the Templar code. There is no small delight here, in having Elene play the role of the eventual antagonist, dagger in hand. The way it developed beyond just two people and tendriled out to involve many more people on both tethers makes for such a fascinating story, forcing re-evaluation and change for those involved.
    As Sryaen continues to grow away from Elene's clutches, it remains to be seen whether he will keep himself to the leniency he was forced to show in Enorian, or pursue vengeance and blood from her like he has shown a desire for in Spinesreach. Stop throwing chairs at her! She was trying to be a bystander to a bar brawl! Hmph.
    Either way, you are extremely fun to roleplay with, and I hope to be able to continue finding opportunities to do so. Don't stay too far, but also don't wander too close. You know what they say about Icarus flying too close to the sun! ;)
    Sryaen
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    Even though I only experienced brief moments of RP with Sryaen back in the old days, and then as nothing but an enemy, I can still recall the mannerisms and the attitude. This, if nothing else, should be a good indicator for how much of an impact you had back then. Being able to see Sryaen again, and in a different setting, with different eyes, has been a true privilege so far, and I hope that continues.

I've enjoyed the RP so far, both as a bystander and as an active participant. RPing with you feels effortless. As has already been said, you manage to portray your character and his moods very well in your emotes, without making it seem forced. The slight hesitancy in regards to some things, contrasted by the dead-certainty in others makes the character believable, since few things are ever certain in life. It is a delight to see someone truly deliver when it comes to showing the internal struggle of someone trying something new.

In short, the way you add layers and depth to your character always makes me want to improve my own performance, which is a very good thing. I'm looking forward to seeing what comes next.

Sryaen
  • Phoenecia said:

Seeing him evolve from simply a soldier that lives only for battle to a weary veteran yearning for something more out of life, not really knowing what or how, but slowly realizing it has been a treat to watch over the course of so many interactions, and I'm always eager to see just how much has changed with each.

I hadn't really intended on going down the path of war-weary veteran when I moved Sry to the Spirit side, but it's been an interesting go of things so far. Sry really appreciates Phoe being in his life, as she's really been the sole, guiding hand from the very beginning. It's been an absolute pleasure to interact with Phoe in more mundane, day-to-day life RP and as I've said before, I've always regretted not RPing with you before. So thank you for being so willing! And thank you for the kind words!
    Sessizlik said:

I can only repeat some of the things Phoenecia wrote. You are an amazing RPer from what I have seen so far. Those subtle little things Sry does really brings him to life. And like Phoe, I have seen your name around in the olden days and always wanted to be able to rp with you, but never really getting a proper chance. I am hoping to see that change!
    Sessi sortof relates to Sryaen. Despite them being each other's opposites, they both recently started waking after a long rest and are trying their best to get aquainted with the world as it is now. I am excited to see where this friendship might lead.

My biggest regret from when I stopped playing before was that I never gave people an equal chance at RP. If I didn't feel like interacting with someone was in tune with Sry's "lol I'm a baddie" RP, I didn't give them much thought and really only kept to established "darkie" RP circles. But since I've been back, I've been very conscious of my past toxic behaviors and have opened up to any and all RP that might come Sry's way, and I have to say I am pleasantly surprised when it comes to Sessi. Total opposite of Sry, very bubbly and cheerful - her character description is adorable (and so vivid!). I'm so glad Sry and Sessi crossed paths and I'm looking forward to seeing how their relationship develops.
    Elene said:

As Sryaen continues to grow away from Elene's clutches, it remains to be seen whether he will keep himself to the leniency he was forced to show in Enorian, or pursue vengeance and blood from her like he has shown a desire for in Spinesreach. Stop throwing chairs at her! She was trying to be a bystander to a bar brawl! Hmph.
    Either way, you are extremely fun to roleplay with, and I hope to be able to continue finding opportunities to do so. Don't stay too far, but also don't wander too close. You know what they say about Icarus flying too close to the sun! ;)
    Sry has a real love/hate relationship with Elene. I'd always thought Sry and Elene had an unusually intimate relationship, mainly because of all their past history together with removing Sry's eyes, Ashmer & Co, Sry pretty much always saying "yes" to whatever Elene asked of him. Throughout the years and despite growing to be an established man, there will always be a part of Sry that is that scared little Grook Cabalist, terrified of Elene but also so willing and eager to please her. It was a refreshing change to have Sryaen tell Elene "no" for once in his life, though the consequences of such were entirely deserved on his end. Elene is that devil on the shoulder character for Sry right now, always whispering in his ear and being the temptation for him to slip back (rather easily) into his darker ways. I suppose that's why he was so willing to engage with Naos because a part of him knows that Elene will be close by, and simply by being near her, he can allow himself to engage in those darker feelings and emotions he's been working so hard to work past (read: suppress). I'm not sure how their RP will go, but I will say this: The story of Elene and Sryaen is far from over. And I am HERE for it, bby. Tysm for being an amazing constant presence in Sry's life, and it's been so fun to roleplay with you over the years. <3 I missed you greatly.

Tell me how I'm doing!

(Web): Dreww says, "Sryaen just wants to be the best Dhar boi and slaughter everyone."
    SessizlikElene

• This should be Sry's theme song as of late. 😅 An oldie but a goodie.

Tell me how I'm doing!

TeaniSessizlikNaosElene

• Sry's been feeling a bit more melancholy lately, so this song has really been ringing true as he questions the steps he's going through on his path. For those that don't want to listen to the song, the lyrics go:

'cause I've got heaven in my veins,
    But heaven doesn't numb the pain.
    I could be your doomsday.
    I could be your worst ever nightmare

Super edgy and emo I know, but I LOVE the Amity Affliction.

Tell me how I'm doing!

TeaniSaltz
  • Sausage.

Truly I am dumbfounded Sayb and Sry didn't really interact way back in the day (Even though Sry was baddie dark dark man). But boy, loving you being back and being a quirky, angsty, trying-to-find-his-new-place-in-the-world sort of thing. I will try to find more ways to interact with Sry that don't involve grinded meat secret missions. Maybe.
    TeaniSryaen
  • Stigandr naturally clicked with Sryaen for...whatever unknown reason. Outwardly it seems like Sryaen is just to cool for school, but under the surface impression, the general vibe that Stigandr get's is that he's actually down like a clown and all that's missing is the right moment to smoke some cactus weed together and talk smack about the realm.

Conversation and dialogue was seamless to traverse and none of that "dogs sniffing" each other ever happened.

There's probably a lot more to Sryaen under the surface that's just not being let off the chain to f*** off with, and it's going to be fun to see it come out one day.

Cool character, bro-ham, I approve :3
    Sryaen
  • Okay. So, Sry is one of the people I enjoy RPing with guiltily - he has so much depth and Kai is such a -dork- that I enjoy subjecting him to her enthusiasm. They've had some cute interactions and the one Very Serious interaction - which I enjoyed shamefully. It's been a -long- time since I've been anxious about roleplaying with someone, since I've wondered if I'm doing the scene right or meeting my partner's expectations. I look forward to more RP with Sry!
    Sryaen
  • AxiusAxius where I am
    Friendly, Delightful to interact with, and one of a short list of people of the Spirit Tether that Axius would straight up put trust in, simply because he's shown he is firm in his view of honor, and that if someone reaches out for help, he's not gonna change his reaction just because the person isn't "The right kind of person" in his eyes. Often helps Axi with bashing Marcello and other keystone boss types, and is generally fun. Axi owes him a good few smokes, to say the least, hah.
    Sryaen
  • Sryaen Sryaen Sryaen... Has Aya ever been more upset/annoyed by someone but still appreciative of the guidance provided? I don't think so. Everything from calling her on her unicorns and getting in her face to pulling her aside where no one will see and being a gentle, guiding hand has been very appreciated. I love the RP and the relationship that has developed between them from concerned superior to advisor to secret friends! Sryaen can't show that soft side too much after all! Thank you for all the time you have given me for RP! I thoroughly enjoy it and hope for more to come!
    Sryaen
  • Sryaen is a grumpy butt. 😐
    SryaenSaltzAyastiaLenorielReave