Ylem Aura Toggle On/Off

I have a proposal for an idea revolving the ylem aura. The idea is to add a toggle which will prevent you from gaining the aura but also would prevent you from using refining skills entirely while toggled.

The reason for this is largely for those who really do not want to participate in minors/lessers/majors and do not want to unwittingly become subject to open PK against their will. You can gain the aura simply by path tracking through the wrong area and often you won't be able to notice until it is too late. This wouldn't be much of a problem but there has been much talk of various characters being killed on this basis which is entirely within the rules but still completely sucks for whoever is getting killed.

Why it sucks:
Perhaps you are in the middle of a quest?
Maybe you were gathering commodities?
Possibly you had some items that simply drop on death in general in your inventory and might not get them back.

Why else it sucks:
Maybe the player in question entirely avoids PK due to the real-life stress and frustration it can cause.

While I know these are all risks that everyone generally acknowledges within the game, it can always be improved upon in order to create a playing environment that can cater to all types of players without causing them anxiety, frustration, and other things generally unwanted when playing a game that should be about fun and community.

Another idea for the path tracking issue could be to add a config for the tracker to stop a room before you would enter into an open PK zone so you can walk around it entirely.

I am just shooting ideas out here and have no idea how realistic or easy these changes are to make so bear with me. I mostly am hoping to create a discussion.

-------

Also, for those of you who might wonder, this post is directly prompted by the goings on with @Didi as well as events that have happened to many other players. Just because it is within the rules doesn't make it cool to go out of your way to target someone.
Avatar of Fyrren drawn by the amazing Sessizlik.
NebulaKonnornSryaen

Comments

• Saidenn said:

TL;DR: I adore Didi, make a path track config to go around unstable zones, ICA = ICC.

Edit: To briefly add tot his, I recall distinctly when a Spirean went to Orrery to observe and was slain on sight. They complained rather loudly and, because the character was not as beloved, they basically got told "Next time don't go into a PK zone if you don't want to die".

Let's please avoid double standards.

I think this is the most important thing said here. Make a toggle that causes path track/path find to go around unstable areas. Quit treating the situation surrounding one person in particular like it's a travesty when others, in the same situation, have been told to suck it up and avoid open pk zones. People that are less beloved are told all the time to take their open pk death and deal with it, but this situation that keeps coming up because this person in particular keeps doing the same thing over and over and over and drawing massive amounts of attention has gotten beyond crazy.

SryaenFyrrenJaamirCallidora
  • edited June 2021
    I basically agree entirely with what @Saidenn said in his reply. The idea of having the in-game pathing system work around unstable sections would be amazing to have, especially for times where there's a lesser in the Shamtota Caverns and BL's people keep walking through our location rather than taking the long way around (this happened a few days ago).

However, these 'things going on with Didi' are purely the consequences of her own actions - a spirit-classed person actively fighting alongside Shadow. As I said in a previous thread about all of this, I don't have any beef with Didi OOCly. But my character has every reason to see issue with some supposedly 'neutral' person shouting Shadow-themed things (slaughter, rip n tear, etc), attacking us at lessers and majors, and most importantly - NOT offering the same 'help' towards Spirit when we're controlling a foci point. The argument could be made that "Well why would Didi help you if you guys have been attacking her?" To which I direct that right back. Why the hell would we not attack her - or anyone else - for these actions? I've gotten so much OOC and IC grief over following the game's rules over open PK zones and ylem aura, that I'm sort of done with the backlash. Shadow's answer to this ( @Drystin mainly ) was: if you want to have open pk on anyone with hostility/ylem aura, that's fine. But you're not gonna like that can of worms you open; implying that if we wanted to take the stance of hostility towards Didi, that Shadow was going to grief us into the dirt. Further evidenced by the group of 8-10 shadow people led by Mazzion to go after Valorie and Jakarn in the fracture for agreeing with a forum post of mine where I.. basically said all of this. Again.

What an absolute joke coming from one of the guys who primarily goes out of his way to gank people in vortex/fracture. And you know what? That's completely within his right to do so. Because he's not breaking any rules by doing so. Yeah it may seem crappy behavior, but the alternative is to simply not go in those areas. If Drystin is around, I simply wouldn't bash the fracture or vortex until he's offline. Or have buddies to back you up. So I'm really tired of this double standard of holding some people accountable for their actions, but other people get a free pass.

If someone has some sort of trigger emotion or medical issue that arises during PK, that's just as much on them to not put themselves in that situation.

Looking forward to rehashing this same non-issue in a few weeks once it flares up again.

Tell me how I'm doing!
    (Web): Mileta says, "Okay... Sry is an edgelord..."

(Web): Dreww says, "Sryaen just wants to be the best Dhar boi and slaughter everyone."
    FyrrenKaiaraJaamirXavinTetchtaDrystin
  • Thanks for all the insightful and civil answers, @Saidenn , @Xavin , @Sryaen ! I think the path tracking config would be a great solution for most of these issues.

-----

As for the fun subject many have grown so fond of:
    I didn't mean to attack anyone with this post, hence why I haven't really called anyone in particular out with it, because I am only on my own side of it all. Didi is a friend and I hate seeing her get so down to the point now that I don't know if she is going to be around for a while. I can definitely say the Shadow tether players who are friends of hers can be overly zealous with their protectiveness of her ICly and OOCly, including myself to a degree and that is definitely a fault of our own.

There has been a lot of he says, she says and my only POV is from the Shadow Tether and then whatever I see posted in the forums which generally seems to devolve into heated insults being flung from both sides while nothing really seems to be accomplished.

On behalf of myself, I apologize for any negativity I have thrown out into our community and hope that we can all work better together (Spirit and Shadow OOC) towards providing an understanding and fun community for everyone to be a part of. Then we can murder each other IC with no fear of grief :smiley:

Sorry to rehash the subject but it started to really peeve me. Let's keep Aetolia fun for everyone!
    Sryaen
  • Fyrren said:

Thanks for all the insightful and civil answers, @Saidenn , @Xavin , @Sryaen ! I think the path tracking config would be a great solution for most of these issues.

While I do think it's a good idea, this is sort of sweeping under the rug that Didi's not being killed for 'accidentally' wandering into a lesser zone and gaining aura. She's actively seeking these places out to kill eld, which does nothing for her because she doesn't have access to a pylon. And can't obtain/turn in mist gauntlet for tokens either, afaik. So there's no other reason to be there other than she wants to be.

Aisling had talked to me on discord about me not going out of my way to target Didi when this issue popped up last month, and I agreed to not put her on my target list if I was calling or to go out of my way to kill her unless 1) she entered our foci room with shadow forces and 2) attacked one of us. In that time, I have kept to my word. It was only the other day that she attacked Jaamir and then this whole thing spiraled, once again, out of control. I even wrangled some other Spirit fighters in web because they wanted to slay her and talked them out of doing so. So at this point, I'm not really sure what else could have been done on our end.

As for her getting down about this, I don't like seeing anyone upset to an OOC level that they feel a particular way about how their character is being treated, so maybe taking a step back might be for the best. And moving forward, perhaps coddling characters to the point where they feel they can do no wrong is uh, actually more harmful than helpful. No matter how beloved they might be, everyone should be held accountable for their actions.

Tell me how I'm doing!
    (Web): Mileta says, "Okay... Sry is an edgelord..."

(Web): Dreww says, "Sryaen just wants to be the best Dhar boi and slaughter everyone."
    KaiaraFyrrenJaamir
  • @Sryaen I was trying not to limit the goal of the post based only on the experiences of Didi but also many other players so as to keep the thread somewhat productive and proactive rather than going on about the subject, didn't mean to "sweep it under the rug" :smiley: The Didi stuff just prompted me to make the post at all as it gave me some different ideas.

I also agree that it would be good for her to step away for a while to let things mellow down. I have been trying to convince her IC and OOC to join Spinesreach as she has been very vocal about feeling most at home there and I believe she would have a lot of the freedoms she wants to maintain as far as associations with friends from the opposite tether goes, while also being able to actually gain something from being a part of lessers if she wants to be and have all the other benefits that come with being a part of a city/community.
    SryaenArdent
  • edited June 2021
    I also agree that it would be good for her to step away for a while to let things mellow down. I have been trying to convince her IC and OOC to join Spinesreach as she has been very vocal about feeling most at home there and I believe she would have a lot of the freedoms she wants to maintain as far as associations with friends from the opposite tether goes, while also being able to actually gain something from being a part of lessers if she wants to be and have all the other benefits that come with being a part of a city/community.

It honestly is probably the best choice for Didi. I adore her but I have to agree that all this is getting out of hand. Nobody else in the game has the ability to go to a lesser and expect to be left alone. Even newbies get ganked if they travel the wrong path during one. Hell, I've been killed for logging in in an area contested. I think if people want Didi to be left alone at lessers if she is there and not participating, it is a mindset that needs to go out to everyone. In my example, I was one person who got ganked by like six or seven. Hell, even one on one I'm barely a small threat. And only if you have a power outage. The entire culture around lessers needs to change to fit everyone rather than just trying to protect one person. But I agree. Path track around contested areas instead of through! Very good!
    Konnorn
  • TetchtaTetchta The Innocent
    I'm not sure why this is suddenly being brought up now. I've been killed maybe...god, three times from running into a lesser while not paying attention? Aetolia is a violent setting, I fail to see the problem with a little PK, especially when the consequences are essentially zero. I'm not fully familiar with what is purportedly going on with Didi, as I've only been around for the past couple of days, but showing up at a lesser is like dropping into a No Man's Land in WWI. Like you're gonna have a bad time if you show up at a literal battlefield.

JaamirXavinKaiara
  • Tetchta said:

I'm not sure why this is suddenly being brought up now. I've been killed maybe...god, three times from running into a lesser while not paying attention? Aetolia is a violent setting, I fail to see the problem with a little PK, especially when the consequences are essentially zero. I'm not fully familiar with what is purportedly going on with Didi, as I've only been around for the past couple of days, but showing up at a lesser is like dropping into a No Man's Land in WWI. Like you're gonna have a bad time if you show up at a literal battlefield.

The issue is Didi started showing up to them and she has a tendency to spend more time with Shadow. Especially when she enters lesser with shadow. It started with Sryaen noosing her at an Orrery when she was there alone, and, mind you, I didn't really agree with that. But since then she has actively been supporting Shadow by blocking exits and sometimes, on RARE occasions, attacking, while saying she is there for the Elds. But ever since that first time, Shadow has taken to defending Didi like she should be exempt from it all.

Mind, I am not saying this is Sryaen's fault and he caused the issue. I am saying that the mindset of players needs to change. You cannot treat one person special while holding everyone else to the same standards.
    SryaenKaiara

I'm just saying this is a categorically silly number of times to talk about someone who isn't even participating in the thread and presumably is capable of defending themselves should the need arise.

Anyway pathing around lessers sounds good I'd 100% add it to all my bashing scripts.

Sryaen
  • Tetchta said:

I'm just saying this is a categorically silly number of times to talk about someone who isn't even participating in the thread and presumably is capable of defending themselves should the need arise.

Anyway pathing around lessers sounds good I'd 100% add it to all my bashing scripts.

It's turned into this massive thing where apparently Spirit is all terrible people for treating Didi like everyone else in the game is treated, and even giving her more leeway than anyone else but apparently it's a bridge too far to hit back when she hits one of us.

TetchtaSryaen
    edited July 2021

AlmolSryaenXavinJaamirIllikaal
  • I love the idea of having a config for pathing through unstable areas. If it is added in, it should probably default to turning off pathing through unstable areas for newbies. I can think of a few instances where there was a lesser in the Ithmias and Duiran newbies have been killed for pathing through while doing their academy tasks. When I mentioned it to the people involved I was simply told "Looks like we did your job of teaching them not to do that for you."
    KaiaraSryaenXavinFyrren
    How on earth am I supposed to get my .1% exp if we suddenly start letting newbies path around unstable areas?

IesidSryaenRhineFyrren