Mildly Irritating: Aetolia's Pet Peeves

Comments

• edited June 2021
    If at any point you joined a city or guild you lose all claim to a neutral tether and the only way to have that is to have been 100% rogue before tethers went in and -not- use a class that is tied to either tether.

In short, what MJ said. Neutral doesn't exist, and trying to play a neutral character tends to result in choices forced down your throat or being hunted by one side or the other. Game isn't designed for it, socio-political environment in the game isn't designed for it, milestones are not mechanically designed for it.

Edit: As to the class thing, I had a conversation recently where I was told even if you're rogue, Syssin defaults to shadow tether because of where the class/guild is based. If Monk doesn't default to spirit, then it makes no sense at all how the coding is done since Monk is part of Duiran.
    TeotlJaamir
  • Pet peeve of the day: Wardens cannot customise ancestors but Carnifex can customise warhounds. :/
    Qelres
  • Yeah! Wardens should be able to customize ancestors!

...And Indorani should be able to customize bone helms.
    IesidSaidennFeirenz
  • Illidan said:

Konnorn said:

@Illidan
    I really am sorry, but you must have me confused with someone else. I really don't fight. Not newbs, not lowbies. I don't gank. I don't noose. Last time I noosed someone was during a Capture the flag event (I think, atleast it was at a team contest event thingie a decade or so ago). I've never had a bounty on Konn's head. He's been enemied to organizations, sure, but I am pretty sure Illidan has been as well, so that doesn't count. I think you are aiming your anger about these actions towards the wrong person. Who? I really don't know, but it's not me. I don't do that. I leave when lowbies attack at lessers I am handling myself, because I. Don't. Fight. So if you called Konn a coward because you think I have done those things, and it was an honest mistake, well.. apologize to me and I will apologize to you. But I still think you need an attitude check in general, cause you really come off as rude both icly and oocly. Icly, you can blame on rp. Not sure what you wanna blame it on oocly though.

Also, I never said that you said "become great leaders -overnight-". Those are your words. Not mine.

I think players should stop equating in game interactions to out of character ones and learn some separation, as that's precisely what you did. Also, it was my job to keep track of people who hunted the protected cities of Enorian as Knight Marshall. It was a long time ago, yes, but never do I forget the reasons behind character interactions. Konnorn was definitely one of those people, and of course it's well known that you're not a 'fighter'. That still doesn't immunize you from consequences from real fighters based on your actions. Konnorn was always the type to do things he knew would warrant PK cause and cry afoul when those consequences came back knocking.

I will not apologize to an adult because they took being called a coward in game incredibly personally on an OOC level.
    Illidan said:

Konnorn said:

@Illidan
    I really am sorry, but you must have me confused with someone else. I really don't fight. Not newbs, not lowbies. I don't gank. I don't noose. Last time I noosed someone was during a Capture the flag event (I think, atleast it was at a team contest event thingie a decade or so ago). I've never had a bounty on Konn's head. He's been enemied to organizations, sure, but I am pretty sure Illidan has been as well, so that doesn't count. I think you are aiming your anger about these actions towards the wrong person. Who? I really don't know, but it's not me. I don't do that. I leave when lowbies attack at lessers I am handling myself, because I. Don't. Fight. So if you called Konn a coward because you think I have done those things, and it was an honest mistake, well.. apologize to me and I will apologize to you. But I still think you need an attitude check in general, cause you really come off as rude both icly and oocly. Icly, you can blame on rp. Not sure what you wanna blame it on oocly though.

Also, I never said that you said "become great leaders -overnight-". Those are your words. Not mine.

I think players should stop equating in game interactions to out of character ones and learn some separation, as that's precisely what you did. Also, it was my job to keep track of people who hunted the protected cities of Enorian as Knight Marshall. It was a long time ago, yes, but never do I forget the reasons behind character interactions. Konnorn was definitely one of those people, and of course it's well known that you're not a 'fighter'. That still doesn't immunize you from consequences from real fighters based on your actions. Konnorn was always the type to do things he knew would warrant PK cause and cry afoul when those consequences came back knocking.

I will not apologize to an adult because they took being called a coward in game incredibly personally on an OOC level.
    You hit this one right on the nail. 90% of players tend to forget, confuse and assume that the character is the reflection of the player behind the character and that is something no one should -ever- stoop to. I know for example like, my CHARACTER is extremely vibrant, playful and poke fun at his enemies. However, myself the player-I'm not like that all because I 100% keep separate my character's actions from the real life me. So again, people need to stop associating the character as the player in any IC situation, it's just...bad roleplay skills.
    Illikaal
  • EliadonEliadon Somewhere Over the Rainbow
    What has and will always be a pet peeve of mine - people weaponizing ignore for IC actions.
    FyrrenJaamirArasethIllikaal
  • My biggest peeve is with the crafting system. On a couple of occasions I have had designs that were rejected because, while grammatically correct, the phrasing was a bit awkward. I wish to give the benefit of the doubt to the "gnome" who rejected it and say they were just trying to help, but that isn't their job. I have also had conflicting reasons for rejection in the notes of some designs. While one says to make a change, I make it, and then I'm told that it is now incorrect and it needs to be how it was originally. I would really like it if the people going over these were given a short test of 'what is acceptable to deny for' before being given the ability.
    TeaniFyrren
  • AeryxAeryx Docking Nipsy's pay
    Pet peeve - Having real good in character reasons not to offer to an active God, and can't get blessings because the God I offer to instead is inactive.
    Childhood's over the moment you know you're gonna die.
    AyastiaFyrrenSryaen
  • Oof. That's rough man.
  • BenedictoBenedicto Tentacles Errywhere!
    I'm frustrated with how empty the game feels and how little there is to do during my playing times. In twelve years of playing the game as a European, I'm used to events only ever really taking place when I'm sound asleep (usually 3am onwards) but I usually always had some PK to engage in or a relatively healthy cadre of Asia/European Aetolians to interact with.

For the last couple of months I've literally been logging in to do my milestones, the patrol for the Templar and then sweeping for lessers. When they've been tapped, they've been contested maybe 1-in-10 times (as many people in the Spirit web will know from my bemoaning my PK 'drought' that I had to chase people into the Hunting Grounds to eventually break after nearly 400 hours of nothing).

Once those activities are completed, it's time to idle. I have sound triggers for anything meaningful that happens in game to alert me if I need to come back for anything (which I do, often for yet another uncontested lesser foci).

I could sect but I don't really fancy fighting the same two people several times a day - every day - until we all just get sick to the back teeth of one another.

I find I really am struggling to find any real reason to play the game for any meaningful amount of time outside of just making credits for myself by completing milestones.
    RihrinAlelaSryaenValorieFyrrenAloliEoros
  • Benedicto said:

I could sect but I don't really fancy fighting the same two people several times a day - every day - until we all just get sick to the back teeth of one another..

Gonna echo this and add my own frustration to receiving a progression task that involves getting top 20 in sect, which means I'd have to fight the same 2-3 people over and over until I manage to scrape out a W or a draw enough for me to complete said task.

Miss me with that shit.

Tell me how I'm doing!
    (Web): Mileta says, "Okay... Sry is an edgelord..."

(Web): Dreww says, "Sryaen just wants to be the best Dhar boi and slaughter everyone."
    Alela
  • Sryaen said:

Benedicto said:

I could sect but I don't really fancy fighting the same two people several times a day - every day - until we all just get sick to the back teeth of one another..

Gonna echo this and add my own frustration to receiving a progression task that involves getting top 20 in sect, which means I'd have to fight the same 2-3 people over and over until I manage to scrape out a W or a draw enough for me to complete said task.

Miss me with that unicorns.
    I agree. Sect ranking shouldn't ever be a requirement for org progression. Maybe an option, but not a requirement. My experience with Sect ranking (overall, not seasonal) suggests the system is super busted - it doesn't reward improvement over time nearly as much as just being good to begin with. I don't mean to be rude to whoever's responsible for developing it, but I strongly suspect its statistical model is flawed. As such, asking people to achieve a certain rating or standing (as opposed to the ranks that are just related to numbers of matches) is extraordinarily unfair.
    (Web): Abhorash has joined your web.
    (Web): Abhorash says, "Nerds."
    (Web): Abhorash has left your web.

Alela's Affirmations
    SryaenArdentValorieBenedictoIllikaalFyrrenEoros
  • Alela said:

Sryaen said:

Benedicto said:

Miss me with that unicorns.
    I agree. Sect ranking shouldn't ever be a requirement for org progression. Maybe an option, but not a requirement. My experience with Sect ranking (overall, not seasonal) suggests the system is super busted - it doesn't reward improvement over time nearly as much as just being good to begin with. I don't mean to be rude to whoever's responsible for developing it, but I strongly suspect its statistical model is flawed. As such, asking people to achieve a certain rating or standing (as opposed to the ranks that are just related to numbers of matches) is extraordinarily unfair.
    If it was like, brackets, I don't mind. Or if even half of the "You sense 35 sect members are in the realms currently" were actually active, I'd be willing to do it. But the way it currently is doesn't inspire a lot of participation because it's basically just Dourif, Azami and Mazzion who do it on the regular. Which, hey, nothing against them, they've definitely refined their 1v1 abilities but it's real discouraging when you will probably need to lose 100 times before you see 1 victory to even let you know you're headed in the right direction. I'm not a betting man, but those are some real god-awful odds.

Tell me how I'm doing!
    (Web): Mileta says, "Okay... Sry is an edgelord..."

(Web): Dreww says, "Sryaen just wants to be the best Dhar boi and slaughter everyone."
  • So far as I'm aware, a fair bit of the people in sect that aren't active are in for some form of requirement for an organization. Most of them probably don't drop out of sect because it's a regularly tracked progress thing or they simply forgot to leave. No telling.

Brackets could be interesting but how would you arrange them? So many wins to move up a bracket or a specific win/loss ratio? While the idea has merit, I'm going to go with it probably needs to be fleshed out, and if people are willing to, probably have it's own thread done up to discuss things with how it could be changed.
    Jaamir
  • no more killing didi she is done have a great life
    Aloli
  • I have to agree with Sryaen. Reading that log made me feel sick. I have considered a lot of you as friends and, while our interactions have died down since switching to Spirit, I didn't think I would see such vitriol spilling from your mouths. You were talking of 'people behind the screen' when protecting Didi, which I agree with, but it completely went out the window when you were voicing your displeasure. I am sorry that what has been happening has been affecting Didi so much. She is a wonderful person and I truly hope she finds joy in the game again. And I get this game will always have an us vs them mentality, even oocly, because that is the nature of the game. It cannot help but seep oocly when we put so much of ourselves into our characters. Even if all we put in is time and creativity. Hell, I used to be one of them. What I know now though is both sides have their unicorns players, the toxic ones who will go out of their way to make things miserable for everyone else, but, by the most, everyone is just trying to play their character the best they can, and to attack someone oocly for that is absolutely ridiculous and childish. Be upset for ic things icly, but do not attack someone oocly over it. It is unicorns like that that get players to quit and not come back, no matter how long they have been a part of the community.
    MjollTetchtaBenedictoAloliRihrinXavinSaidennIllikaalEoros
  • TetchtaTetchta The Innocent
    edited July 2021
    If we actually care about people, we should be empowering them to make decisions that are the best for them and will bring them the least amount of turmoil. But yeah Ayastia ain't wrong, I made it three days back and nope y'all have fun I don't wanna be near any of this with any length of pole you can measure. 

SryaenAyastiaRihrinXavinLinIllikaalIesidMjoll
  • lmfao
    Toz says, "Dishonor on you (Mjoll), dishonor on your family (Seirath), dishonor on your cow (Bulrok)"
    TetchtaRihrinWjoltyr
  • ArasethAraseth Where I am
    edited July 2021
    Completely unnecessary comment.
    AlelaRihrinKaiaraBenedictoXavinSryaenHolbrookEleneJhuraTetchtaIllikaalMjoll
  • KerocKeroc A small cupboardAdministrator, Immortal
    For the record, we'll be moving from this topic. Plenty enough has been said. Back to regular posting.
    FyrrenHolbrookTetchtaAyastiaXavinAlela
  • When admins come and make you change topic. >.> 
    But seriously: more stone production! How is stone more rare than gold or elemental ash??
    Fyrren
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    Gold and elemental ash aren't used to expand player-purchased houses.
  • Lin said:
    I know the mechanical reasons why. Just kind of an ic look. 
  • RhyotRhyot Bloodloch
    WHY ARE THERE NOT HERDS OF STAGS?!?!?!

There's groups of almost everything else... why not stags?!

AyastiaTeaniFyrrenEorosMalcanthet
  • And why is there only like 10 of them in the whole game?!
    RhyotTeaniFyrren
  • TetchtaTetchta The Innocent
    Lin said:

IesidValorieLinBenedictoIllikaalAyastiaFyrrenAolinTsarra
  • Yeah, the stone this is absurd. I didn't even want any to build a house, just to make a statue. I had such a hard time finding even TWO stone.
    TetchtaIesid