The Midnight Age?

This topic may be sensitive to some and my intention is not to make anyone upset in this post but rather be transparent with my thoughts. I've played Aetolia for a long time, over 15 years and I've seen a lot of changes. I may be speaking from nostalgia here but I remember a time in Aetolia that it was dark and that darkness was attractive. I never thought that the midnight age was meant to be a land of carebears. It seems nowadays Aetolia has adopted a lot of real life politics into an RP fantasy game. When I log into Aetolia I want to bite someone neck and possibly devour their corpse because they were too kind. I feel like the polarizing nature of the midnight age is what made Aetolia, Aetolia. I introduce this topic because I want people to think about and add to the discussion on their personal views of where the Midnight Age is at currently and how we can better the authentic experience of the realms.

Personally I don't come to Aetolia to learn whats on Joe Bidens agenda or any other politician in the world. I come here to fantasize a different world. Slaves are a sensitive subject in America, but slaves are real in Aetolia. So just want to hear peoples perspectives. Thank you.
DourifMalcanthetFyrrenDrystinIadraTeaniLegynCallidoraValorie

Comments

• I completely agree. I understand some subjects are touchy for some people, that is absolutely understandable, but this is a fantasy rpg that is supposed to be dark. Back when I started playing we had people roaming the Prelatorian highway to rob innocent people passing by. Or people being kidnapped and held for ransom. We had people pushing boundaries, in the RIGHT way, and it was OK. The world was a lot darker back then and it was OK. I miss that time.

DourifMalcanthetFyrrenJhinDrystinCallidora
  • edited May 2021
    It feels that way to me as well. When I came back and slavery was being abolished from BL my first thought was "WTF?". This is a fantasy game. Of course I'm against slavery IRL but that was a part of BL culture. If you can't handle that facet of it, don't play a Bloodlochian? The game feels like it's transformed a bit. I loved it for the gritty darkness, and that does still exist to some extent, but I do see the game adopting some of the current cultural shift as stated above. I am pretty sure a majority of us are adults, so it shouldn't be hard to find a way to avoid the things/people that make us uncomfortable. 
    FyrrenDourifKonnornEleneJhinDrystinSryaen
  • When I started playing, you could get PKed by BL city/house/guild leaders for saying or doing the wrong thing and it was great because it really immersed me in that side of the game. You are playing the undead/shadow/vampires so why would you be nice? We are the bad guys. We do bad things. But at the same time, whenever I spoke with any of these players OOC they were always the nicest and most helpful people and always went out of their way to help you get into the game, be it with understanding that side of the roleplay or dealing with combat etc.

Now it is hard to play this kind of more brutal character because people get turned off from it so quickly and easily or get offended by that kind of roleplay and it feels like Bloodloch has lost most of its culture due to this. And don't get me started on how we let the living join Bloodloch now...
    Avatar of Fyrren drawn by the amazing Sessizlik.
    DourifKonnornJhinDrystinMalcanthetMjoll
  • RhyotRhyot Bloodloch
    Back when I started playing we had people roaming the Prelatorian highway to rob innocent people passing by.

2 points...

1) You mean, more conflict and less safety nets?

2) why would you rob anyone? Gold is so stupidly easy to get that people are sitting on literal millions!!! You know... the whole reason why gold was nerfed to begin with???

people being kidnapped and held for ransom.

You mean, more conflict??? Oh right, need consent for that. And that requires some OOC communication which KINDA starts a streamlined process of -exactly- where the RP is gonna go so you can have predetermined the outcome or at least talk about the outcome. And if the outcome isn't what you wanted, you issue for harassment and non-consensual RP... which may or may not be upheld. Oh, but wait... the admin have made a decision that all RP and emotes are consented upon, so why would anyone agree to this dark RP unless it reaches an outcome they desire when it's primarily conflict-centric?

I don't think we should shy away from the darker aspects of what makes Aetolia so appealing.

You mean we need to have conflict, right??

you could get PKed by BL city/house/guild leaders for saying or doing the wrong thing

So.... conflict???

Now it is hard to play this kind of more brutal character because people get turned off from it so quickly and easily or get offended by that kind of roleplay

This might be because of an AVERSION to said conflict.

Bloodlochian's should be allowed to be evil and do inherently evil things without being sniped at

So... conflict??

----------------------------

Everything in thread, spoken by *counts the posters* 6 people are all conflict centric. I hate saying this, but y'all are the minority. You all might want conflict, less safety nets, and more dark RP.... but the majority do not. Sure, you could argue that I'm picking straws, but let's take a look at historical things:

War system was erased and to this day is both wanted and not wanted because of possible conflict griefing.
    Moghedu event with Nesventesh was complained about.
    Three Widows War was complained about.
    Mitrine War was a crapshoot of bloody complaints and skewed ambiguity on BOTH sides.
    War of Night was complained about because it gave vampires an advantage.
    The noon sun was complained about because it instakilled vampires.
    The Baelak Shipbreaker event was complained about because it blew up Enorian.
    Theft is CONSISTENTLY complained about and abhorred... and players were even blasted by admins when comms were "stolen" from Enorian. No RP, immediate admin solution.
    Tainhelm Bloodhunts were complained about.
    Orrery was blatantly ignored as a conflict point until Tiur gave rewards for it, and even then it's somewhat ignored because one side or the other has overwhelming numbers. This same lack of conflict contest extends to lessers/majors due to overwhelming numbers.
    Raids have all but been abolished after people threw themselves into guards for 5 hours to kill them all, resulting in complaints about "forced RP" and/or "impeding RP"
    Every. Single. Apocalypse level. Event is complained about (The Bloom, Chaos War, Leviathan, Ohlsana, Ati)
    Abhorash being a beast of a baddy was complained about (and still often is).
    Oh, and let's not forget my favorite thread where Bamathis was equated to fascism and Nazi-ism.

As much as I want to agree with you all, I have to point out that all behaviors are reminiscent of ever changing cultures. We live in a time and culture where people would rather RP in their own little groups than extend out of their comfort zones. We play in a time where anything that goes against the grain of being able to do what WE want with an outcome that WE desire is met with hostility, anger, and outcries of complaints.

While Aetolia might be labeled as "Midnight Age", the majority don't want that type of behavior anymore. They want to sit back, chill, sip their Starbucks coffee and roleplay to THEIR comfort levels and THEIR hearts desire. The majority of players have conflict aversion, even if they spout off about wanting said conflict.

It's very confusing, but also entertaining.

DrystinLegynLinGavramelXarian
  • I am not very in tune with the RP or metagame of Aetolia as a whole to say for sure, but I don't think RL politics is the main driving factor. A lot of it seems to boil down to what Benedicto said: there's a lot of good and innocent people in the world. Not everyone wants to be a villain. It's a tough job because:
    1. Doing villainous things IC can earn you OOC recriminations you really didn't ask for or deserve. This doesn't have to be political at all. Some people just cannot tell the difference and, sometimes, IC villainous things are legitimate inconveniences to players OOCly.
    2. Even if you take all of the above to mean "let's be villainous to NPCs and just ignore other players", you are still in trouble. Doing villainous things often puts you in direct conflict with the "heroes". The inclination to meat out immediate PK justice for villainy has probably killed more villainy than any other person's feelings or politics. Not every prospective villain is also a super capable fighter. I'm not saying it's wrong to do so, but it's a big factor, unfortunately.
    3. Because of the above, keeping allies as a villain is hard. Your city and guild are going to be cross with you for causing trouble, more often than not. This is doubly true if you're losing more fights than you're winning.
    4. Even if you're only being villainous to NPCs in your own backyard, far from the PK-starved eyes of the world, would evil RP behind closed doors actually contribute to the "Midnight Age" feel? Probably not. It's not very validating, either. Half the fun of being a villain is that other people know you're a villain and give you safe "heat" for being so, rather than actual dislike. As described above, though, "heat" translates very readily into "being PKed" because just like being a villain is your character, being a hero is someone else's.
    5. The other half of the fun of villainy is reaping its rewards. Unfortunately, villainy doesn't pay ever since theft became veritably verboten. I'd love if slave trading became a Hobby skill or something. Maybe a little risqué to cast a player as slave trader, but it would sweeten the pot of villainy.
    All in all, why bother? Why stick to your slavery roots at all, when there's not a whole lot of reward for it and a whole lot of hassle? Better to be the misunderstood villain who's actually a hero in their own way, or sit off to the sides of the issue and declare yourself above it all.
    Didi has expressed her esteem of you for the following reason: Smart organized leader.
    Experience Gained: 47720 (Special) [total: 2933660]
    Needed for LVL: 122.00775356245
    BenedictoJhinRhyotDrystin
  • Slavery is part and parcel of a lot of fantasy settings and it's a large part of most historical human societies.

I can understand how adult topics such as violence, sex, smoking, drug use or slavery can be sensitive topics but that is why we have trigger warnings on shows, games and books.

If you're put off by drug use or Scottish people then you know not to watch trainspotting. You don't ask for trainspotting to remove all references to drugs and Scottish people.
    BenedictoJhinSryaenDrystinMalcanthet
  • I think this is one of the reasons why expanding the concept of open PK areas would be good. Create an area that characters from Bloodloch could raid for slaves and that characters from Enorian could defend, and enforce 1v1 like the Hunting Grounds so that it doesn't turn into a numbers game like foci and the Orrery do.

The Vortex, the Fracture, the Sect, and the Hunting Grounds are a very good structure for conflict. The basic concept just needs to be developed a little more and spiced up to make it more interesting. The rewards don't need to be mechanical. Rewards that enable RP without having any other tangible benefit would be great.

MairaJhinDrystinHavenFyrrenMalcanthetJaamir
  • @Legyn The raids remind me of Ciem. Haven’t thought about that in a while. And I agree gifts don’t need to be monetary or mechanical advantages, but even fun things like colorful items to wear or colored shields/weapons etc.
    KonnornMaira
  • @Drystin all I have to say is wow. Everything you said is 100% fact. I love it. What happened to Aetolia being a place to have fun and to explore your imagination with others. Everyone has RL issues but Aetolia is a game and we’re suppose to have fun and use our imagination.

Also just a sidebar with OOC communications, I think a new precedent should be set. I find it to be tasteless to discuss in-game intentions ooc. Why not just talk about them in game. It seems that we've gotten lazy and want to plan OOC and implement IC and that way we don't have to run into any IC consequences. If all plans are made ooc then how can any character be punished, confronted or generate any conflict.

If everyone would direct people IC to talk about IC issues then we'll see small improvements imo.
    DrystinKonnornMaira
  • RijettaRijetta Nowhere Important
    Jhin said:

This topic may be sensitive to some and my intention is not to make anyone upset in this post but rather be transparent with my thoughts. I've played Aetolia for a long time, over 15 years and I've seen a lot of changes. I may be speaking from nostalgia here but I remember a time in Aetolia that it was dark and that darkness was attractive. I never thought that the midnight age was meant to be a land of carebears. It seems nowadays Aetolia has adopted a lot of real life politics into an RP fantasy game. When I log into Aetolia I want to bite someone neck and possibly devour their corpse because they were too kind. I feel like the polarizing nature of the midnight age is what made Aetolia, Aetolia. I introduce this topic because I want people to think about and add to the discussion on their personal views of where the Midnight Age is at currently and how we can better the authentic experience of the realms.

Personally I don't come to Aetolia to learn whats on Joe Bidens agenda or any other politician in the world. I come here to fantasize a different world. Slaves are a sensitive subject in America, but slaves are real in Aetolia. So just want to hear peoples perspectives. Thank you.

A low, sultry voice resounds within the depths of your mind, "I look forward to seeing your descent."
    LinAlelaSryaenNaosDrystinMjollFyrrenCallidoraSeurimasAeryxJaamirTetchta
  • SibattiSibatti Mamba dur Naya Amidst vibrant flora and trees
    edited May 2021
    Dunno where y'all are RPing at these days but I don't have this problem.

Also --- man, we've finally reached the point where we're comparing Aetolia to real-world American politics. Pack it up folks!
    Lin
  • edited May 2021
    This thread is fascinating.

Aetolia is not 'dropping RL politics into a fantasy game'. It's just that medieval policy is making a comeback IRL when it should stay firmly rooted in fantasy settings where it belongs. I think anyone who believes that the admin are shoehorning politics into the game needs to maybe question if they have it backwards.

Perhaps we should stop framing genocide, slavery, destruction of the natural order and etc in the trappings of heroism or as things 'good guys' do. If something is abhorrent, don't complain when other characters around you refuse to normalize it or accept it.

My character once advocated for genocide as an easy means to solving a discussion in Duiran. I don't still have him go around claiming it was the right idea and I don't get mad on the forums when Mhun characters are disgusted with him when or if they find out.
    AislingLinRihrinMatiXavinIadra
  • Mati said:

You playing a "dark" character does not exempt you from considering this other person, as much as PKing someone does not exempt you from considering that other person (hence the issue system), and as much as roleplay does not inherently staunch you playing a "dark" character or having OOC compassion! Why are these being conflated!

@Mati I mostly agree with you Mati but I feel lines are blurred in some areas. You mentioned a "dark" character doesn't exempt you from considering the other person as in showing OOC compassion. But, how often do people conflate the ideas of OOC compassion and likability. In real life not everyone will show you compassion and in real life not everyone will like you. So are we trying to build a Midnight Age where everyone gets along?

While I believe you should consider the person you're RPing or even PKing with. How far does consideration go? Some people believe if you do something that they don't like, you didn't consider them. So is the expectation in Aetolia to do what everyone likes otherwise you're not considering others? I don't think anyone would want to exist in that environment. Which honestly brings up a topic of freedom of expression. In Aetolia are you free to RP based on your imagination or is your RP restricted by what people like and dislike?

These types of issues in my opinion have made conflict in Aetolia less free. What funny to me is how someone will issue and won't ignore. If the problem is that big to where you have to involve the admin in an Issue. Why not just ignore them? Actually there's an idea if you issue someone, it forces you to ignore them for however amount of time. The two individuals obviously cant handle issues by communicating so they might as well ignore one another. :smiley:
    Iadra
    edited May 2021
    Jhin said:

Mati said:

You playing a "dark" character does not exempt you from considering this other person, as much as PKing someone does not exempt you from considering that other person (hence the issue system), and as much as roleplay does not inherently staunch you playing a "dark" character or having OOC compassion! Why are these being conflated!

@Mati I mostly agree with you Mati but I feel lines are blurred in some areas. You mentioned a "dark" character doesn't exempt you from considering the other person as in showing OOC compassion. But, how often do people conflate the ideas of OOC compassion and likability. In real life not everyone will show you compassion and in real life not everyone will like you. So are we trying to build a Midnight Age where everyone gets along?

While I believe you should consider the person you're RPing or even PKing with. How far does consideration go? Some people believe if you do something that they don't like, you didn't consider them. So is the expectation in Aetolia to do what everyone likes otherwise you're not considering others? I don't think anyone would want to exist in that environment. Which honestly brings up a topic of freedom of expression. In Aetolia are you free to RP based on your imagination or is your RP restricted by what people like and dislike?

These types of issues in my opinion have made conflict in Aetolia less free. What funny to me is how someone will issue and won't ignore. If the problem is that big to where you have to involve the admin in an Issue. Why not just ignore them? Actually there's an idea if you issue someone, it forces you to ignore them for however amount of time. The two individuals obviously cant handle issues by communicating so they might as well ignore one another. :smiley:
    I've literally never had a problem RPing any of Sib's avenues - and her avenues have taken things to some very dark places that would absolutely trigger trauma in others.

You can and should be compassionate towards the player behind the character, full stop.

If you can't get along with a person and it comes to the point of an issue necessitating a resolution, then something has gone very wrong between two people to bring it to that point - in which case, basic logic dictates that you can't communicate with that person anyways and you're better off not being involved.

If you find that you are a person constantly being issued (not sure if that's the case for you, but just saying it in general), then I would say that person needs to look inward.
    LinPilarIadra
  • give baby minion now

Lin
  • Not to discount anyone's personal experiences or their personal circles of rp, but I do believe the thread is addressing global RP and the trends happening globally.

As mentioned, Bama was driven off due to perceptions. We have had multiple events curtailed or ended early due to upset and emails directly to Matt or Jeremy. Dark roleplay with violent, dark, or twisted themes do happen, but for the most part, they are limited to specific circles of individuals and no further.

I agree that compassion should always be a consideration, however, the landing page and the "about" section of the game should bring with it a certain acceptance with it, too. That does not currently seem to be the case.

Should the character creation include a blurb about agreeing to themes, or more, being more explicit in what the themes may cover?

Separately, I also agree there is a general aversion to conflict. World pk outside of areas that are considered 'open' pk does not happen. Now, this is not an invitation to go on a murder spree, but I really do not see rivals or nemeses used in a way to mean anything. Even RP fights sometimes get people giving their two cents into how they are unnecessary or unfair or what-have-you.

Again, this is not discounting individual experiences. As with any game, YMMV, but on a GLOBAL level, the game is soft. And I do not blame the admin, at all. In the past year, alone, the admin have had to step in twice to two separate orgs (or more, but I am only aware of two). This is not accounting for the myriad of other times they have had to step in to stop Aetolia from shitting the bed. Please tell me I am wrong and correct me, but from what I have seen, in general, Aetolia does a pretty poor job of policing its own community and enforcing its own themes in ways that are constructive to the entire playerbase.
    RhyotAxiusJhinMairaBorminchiaDrystinJaamir
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    I don't have a lot to contribute to this thread. This feels like a prime example of how different Aetolia can be depending on the company you keep. Some of you guys are describing a completely different game from the one I play.

I guess like... if the people you're trying to tell a story with aren't vibing with you, do what the rest of us do: call it a bad match, and go try someone else?
    AlystrinePilarTeani
  • RijettaRijetta Nowhere Important
    Hold on. In the opening post, you said aetolia is a fantasy game and shouldn't have too much real life injected. In your reply to Mati, you claim that in real life, people won't always be compassionate.

Which is it?
    A low, sultry voice resounds within the depths of your mind, "I look forward to seeing your descent."
    HavenMatiIesidPilar
  • edited May 2021
    Jhin said:
    @Mati I mostly agree with you Mati but I feel lines are blurred in some areas. You mentioned a "dark" character doesn't exempt you from considering the other person as in showing OOC compassion. But, how often do people conflate the ideas of OOC compassion and likability. In real life not everyone will show you compassion and in real life not everyone will like you. So are we trying to build a Midnight Age where everyone gets along? While I believe you should consider the person you're RPing or even PKing with. How far does consideration go? Some people believe if you do something that they don't like, you didn't consider them. So is the expectation in Aetolia to do what everyone likes otherwise you're not considering others? I don't think anyone would want to exist in that environment. Which honestly brings up a topic of freedom of expression. In Aetolia are you free to RP based on your imagination or is your RP restricted by what people like and dislike? These types of issues in my opinion have made conflict in Aetolia less free. What funny to me is how someone will issue and won't ignore. If the problem is that big to where you have to involve the admin in an Issue. Why not just ignore them? Actually there's an idea if you issue someone, it forces you to ignore them for however amount of time. The two individuals obviously cant handle issues by communicating so they might as well ignore one another. :smiley:
    "So are we trying to build a Midnight Age where everyone gets along?" No, I'm trying to build a game in which players can all feel comfortable and safe exploring what they want to roleplay--nothing more, nothing less.

"How far does that consideration go?" As far as it needs to for like, basic human decency that should frankly also exist irl. Why is irl being made the benchmark when it's also pretty clear that people have the same issues there. I'm not sure why we're pretending that consideration is some kind of burden to carry when it should kind of be your basic operating mode when playing in a Multi-User Dungeon. If it's not, that's on you, not on me for wanting it. We coexist in this space. Like it or not, other peoples' enjoyment of it and engagement kind of affect your own. Again, it truly is not some huge immersion-breaking thing to just shoot a quick "Hey, are you comfortable with x?" I've done it many times. I've had it done to me. If anything, if you try it, you might actually find yourself more apt to find new and exciting lines of RP because you know the other person is down for whatever and actually having fun with it too. 

"In Aetolia are you free to RP based on your imagination or is your RP restricted by what people like and dislike?" Again, false conflation. You are free to roleplay your imagination, but other people are not obligated to like it, and they're certainly not obligated to tolerate it when it draws from IRL lines of bigotry and discrimination. Honestly, that's just lazy RP at that point. But if you're REALLY itching to roleplay that, I guarantee there are people out there for that, too, and you will probably be much happier playing with them than inflicting it on people that it distresses oocly.

"The two individuals obviously can't handle issues by communicating so they might as well ignore one another." Absolutely! That's what I mean when I say if you're wanting to roleplay certain "edgier" themes, find other people with similar ideals for your sandbox. They exist, I promise. And it is not always a personal attack on you if your roleplay doesn't jive with mine. Unless, like, it's literally a personal attack on my identity as a person just trying to play this game and have fun. Which, also again, then we have bigger problems here. Like why are we arguing for people to be able to have fascist/racist/sexist/whetever-ist roleplay without consequence. That should always have consequence, much like irl.

Your freedom to express yourself and have fun ends when it infringes upon my freedom to express myself and have fun. 
    PilarLinEleneRhyotAolinXarianRebraZeheia
  • @Rijetta Are you suggesting that Aetolia should be a polar opposite to reality?
  • I have absolutely no problem finding people to explore dark, violent RP with. Mechanically, sure there are some things that we can't do anymore (start fires, war, etc), but you don't need to rely on global events to dive into the darker aspects of what Aetolia has to offer.

Bloodloch also just got done quelling an uprising and Elene cut off their guard captain at the kneecaps with a bardiche. Then they put the whole village to the torch and piled the bodies in a heap. So.. ????

When it comes to consequences and certain types of RP I engage in, I tend to save some of the more questionable stuff (violent, vulgar language, torture, etc) for people that I'm comfortable with. Because I know them well enough to know their boundaries and they also know mine. And I think that's perfectly okay in this day and age where we all want to have fun and enjoy the game, but also be cognizant of the players around us.

I think @Mati summed it up pretty perfectly with her closing statement and I wholeheartedly agree.

Tell me how I'm doing!
    (Web): Mileta says, "Okay... Sry is an edgelord..."

(Web): Dreww says, "Sryaen just wants to be the best Dhar boi and slaughter everyone."
    RhyotSibattiPilar
  • Xarian said:

Whose 'real life baggage' are you asking someone to put aside

Every single one of us and -all- the baggage we have. As in, don't come here to take out your frustration with your shitty job, shitty relationship, your hatred of people that don't understand why you love drinking Whiteclaw, on the people that play this game. Interesting that you're looking for a motive. We'll explore that more in a bit. That's one..
    Xarian said:

Obviously this sort of criticism doesn't apply only to slavery. So maybe you want to ask, 'Oh my god Xarian, do you and Joe Biden's cancel culture agenda..*static*

No, wrong again. I really don't want to ask any question that starts like that. I don't want to know where you stand politically, religiously, etc. In fact I want the complete opposite. I want to login to Aetolia and forget about all of that for a little while and be a part of Sapience. I want to play this game with people who I know are likely very different than me irl and still have a good time with them because we're focusing on the common ground that we have in the form of Aetolia, not our differences. That's two...
    Xarian said:

I wasn't here for any of Bamathis, but I think it's pretty easy to see how it's based on Nazism?

It wasn't based on nazism at all. The admin explained in great detail what inspired the creation of Bamathis. That's three....

'I've always considered the best RPers to be people who are playing characters that are drastically different from their real selves'
    Xarian said:

If your real self is comfortable telling other people to leave slavery, homophobia, and other forms of 'baggage' 'at the door' in the context of enjoying their hobby..blah blah blah

Interesting how you auto-jumped to those particular subjects which are constant contentious issues irl. That's four.. four times where your focus was firmly grounded on trying to make this all about some sort of real life political garbage. You just proved @Jhin's original statement. Thanks for playing.
    BorminchiaLinPilarTetchta
    edited May 2021
    Can we talk about those slurs in the shadow web tho, or is that part of the "escapism" that no one has to be accountable for them.
    MairaTaiyangXavin

• The things you are calling 'real life political garbage' or 'baggage' is something that you can easily set aside because you don't experience it. Your examples of your baggage like 'shitty job, shitty relationship, your hatred of people that don't understand why you love drinking Whiteclaw' aren't necessarily comparable to 'you are a subhuman and don't deserve to exist' which is what I'm saying I experience from members of this community. Does that get through to you? Your privilege is making this invisible to you, you're explicitly asking for minorities to sit down and shut up because thinking about them is too much work for you.
    LinMatiPilarTetchtaSryaenRhineIadra