Aetolian Combat

Comments

• Malok said:
    The last 2-3 months I've been playing again, I've noticed you have the Leyline system now, then you have Sect of Blades, then you have Delosian Brawl, then you have Liasons. It's great. It's obvious they(because the players seem to want it) want to push combat.

One of you guys with all this investment need to come down off the mountain and realize that not everyone starts at your level, and if you don't want things to get stale you have to make changes to the way things work. The only reason the Administration do any changes drastic, or not so drastic, is because the vocal minority of the 'elite combatants' say it's a good idea to. And hey, if you guys don't think it's a good idea to change the way things work, then don't complain about a lack of new blood in the system.

Well. To be fair, the Admin are pushing -content- out, not just combat. There's all that stuff you mentioned (though the Liaisons have been around for several RL years now, and are for more than just combat-related stuff), but they've also released the Epicurean cooking event thing, a slew of new gods have appeared and changed and whatnot, there've been city events and random idle RP with mobs and crazy world events all over the place. They're putting out combat-related stuff, yes, but that's just because combat is a major part of this game. It's not the only part of this game, not by a longshot...but that's why Admin have been giving us other things, too. Stuff for the combat-oriented players, and stuff for the non-combat-oriented players. One big giant giftbasket of awesome.

I'm just starting to get into combat, myself, and I'd hardly consider myself near "top-tier". Maybe lower-middle tier. The important (and fair) thing to point out is that each and every combatant, be they newbie or lower-middle tier or top tier or level 80s or endgames or poor or artifacted or whatever...everyone from me to Daskalos, we ALL started at the very bottom. Seriously. The curve may be steeper or more shallow for others depending on how good they are at coding or what friends help them or what they're given or what their characters already have in place beforehand...but we all started at the bottom, and we all got stomped (and still do, no matter who we are) by people of all shapes and sizes.

Malok said:

The only reason the Administration do any changes drastic, or not so drastic, is because the vocal minority of the 'elite combatants' say it's a good idea to.
    I'm singling this out because I can say, with absolute certainty, that this isn't true at all, and it's not fair to our admin. They don't just slap stuff in the game cause a few dudes say "lol gimme this", they do EXTENSIVE testing, research and consulting (liaisons, forums, admin from other IRE games, etc) before anything is put in. Yes they rely on Liaisons for major skill changes...but that's because the Liaisons are people (appointed by Admin) who absolutely know the skills of the game the absolute best, and are the best authorities on the subject beyond the Admin themselves.

I get that things can get frustrating, especially where combat is concerned...but let's not shortsheet the one group of people consistently busting their collective asses for us.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

(The Front Line): Daskalos says, "<-- artifacts."

LiancaMoireanAngweIllikaalInfin
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    I think it should be acknowledged that there is a large power creep that has been building over time. A few years ago, Tekals were rare and many of us were content to PK our way towards eventual, maybe someday endgame. Over time, obviously, players eventually reach endgame and eventually gather artifacts - and while this may seem like a very gradual process for us, it's hugely daunting for someone who is new.
    RivasHavenMalokEdhain
  • Oh man I remember when 80 was the goal, so you wouldn't have to eat or sleep anymore. That or having your own name showing up in your shouts.

Good times.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

(The Front Line): Daskalos says, "<-- artifacts."

MoireanHavenIllikaalMastemaEsperInfinTeaniTzaLianca
  • IllikaalIllikaal Pray Area
    edited April 2013
    Ezalor said:
    Xiuhcoatl said:
    Little bit off topic, but I do notice that 90% of the artifacts people buy are defensive or misc based. Am I the only one who buys artifacts based sheerly on offensive potential and the cost v benefit of it? I know tanking is good and all, but my mindset has always been if I kill the other person first what does it matter if I'm always always half health or next to dying. A win is a win. 

Also am I also the only person to think that the cost v benefit of ALL the artifacts is screwed to the point I don't want to buy credits unless it's one of these giftbag deals? Artifact weaponry are now next to useless due to the nature of weapons, at least from the perspective of someone without bonus strength. 
    Defensive artis are just better all around IMO. +str and +int are great, for example, but if you have say Praenomen and Sciomancer classes, just having +str is useless when you want to go to Scio form. Whereas +con, +sip, enhance, etc are great for all classes.

I think there's also a skill factor perception involved; the thought that "I can kill you through superior coding and affs as long as you can't autobash me to death."
    Defensive arties are the most BROKEN artifacts in the game. I've been singing this song for years, which is why I just load up on them. This is my artifact list: 

6932    A bag of seeds                          Being held by Illidan
     * seeds
    8262    A reinforced tower shield               Being held by Illidan
     * artifact_shield, resist_cold
    31713   A clay flowerpot                        Being held by Illidan
     * <NONE>
    37107   A customization certificate             Being held by Illidan
     * customisation
    45670   An ornately-carved ivory pipe           Being held by Illidan
     * artifact_pipe
    46901   An ornately-carved ivory pipe           Being held by Illidan
     * artifact_pipe
    48407   An ornately-carved ivory pipe           Being held by Illidan
     * artifact_pipe
    48408   Peripleko's Eye                         Being held by Illidan
     * see_all_exits
    52174   A bejeweled signet ring                 Being held by Illidan
     * signet
    52313   A clarion eyeglass                      Being held by Illidan
     * clearsight
    52967   A ring of the flood                     Being held by Illidan
     * flooding
    55095   A ring of parting                       Being held by Illidan
     * parting
    58373   A wyrmskin pack                         Being held by Illidan
     * <NONE>
    63715   A gardener's pair of gloves             Being held by Illidan
     * quick_harvest
    63728   An interdimensional planar wedge        Being held by Illidan
     * cache_extension(1)
    69667   A venom rag                             Being held by Illidan
     * venom_rag
    72014   A Libram of Enlightenment               Being held by Illidan
     * quicklearn
    73392   Robes                                   Being held by Illidan
     * equilibrium_recovery, intelligence(2), spirit_anchor, magic_potence(2), web_evasion, mana_boon, elusion, constitution(2), clarity(3), resolve, enhancement(2), heal_bonus(3), ally_expand(1), enemy_expand(1), stability, critical_chance(2), whitesight, xpgain(2), sustenance, hunt_lycanthrope(1), zephyr, hunt_monk(1), hunt_shaman(1), heal_mana_bonus(2), flight
    92138   A golden idol depicting a Kelki         Being held by Illidan
     * racepowers
    95381   Bracers of proficiency                  Being held by Illidan
     * all_profs
    106474  A ring of endurance                     Being held by Illidan
     * endurance, willpower
    113447  A small wooden cask                     The Champion's Barracks
     * cask
    119582  A shrunken head                         Being held by Illidan
     * namedrop
    123610  A homing pigeon                         Being held by Illidan
     * homing_pigeon
    128383  A sapphire quarterstaff of rebirth      Being held by Illidan
     * artifact_staff
    129241  A Selunic weaponbelt                    Being held by Illidan
     * weaponbelt
    132642  A compass-inlaid ilmenite bracer        Being held by Illidan
     * combined_powers
    134183  A bottomless letter satchel             Being held by Illidan
     * letter_sheaf
    153094  A snowglobe of Spinesreach              Being held by Illidan
     * blizzard
    153764  A crystal divining skull                Being held by Illidan
     * divining
    160537  The star chart of Elenina               Being held by Illidan
     * starchart
    170915  A Culling Blade                         Being held by Illidan
     * culling
    185504  A gem of cloaking of cloaking           Being held by Illidan
     * cloaking
    204436  A gem of adaptation                     Being held by Illidan
     * polymath, adaptation
    206314  A jewel-encrusted sacrificial dagger    Being held by Illidan
     * sacrifice
    214729  A venantium carving knife               Being held by Illidan
     * woodcraft_boon
    230349  A luminous eyepatch                     Being held by Illidan
     * transparent_sight
    238714  A white soulstone                       Being held by Illidan
     * soulbind(3)
    240207  A silver amulet of protection           Being held by Illidan
     * protection
    250201  An Iosai lyre                           Being held by Illidan
     * prismatic_barrier
    265650  Scintillating rainbow butterfly wings   Being held by Illidan
     * clouds_flight

The only two offensive ones on there are the +2 Intelligence, and the + 2 magic potence. Contrary to everyone saying "He's winning because of those two Magic based artifacts.", the sad truth is that the Magic Potence only affects Shaman's basic bashing attack (commune lightning) which i rarely ever use in combat, if ever at all. The +int increases the damage on some of the attacks by VERY minor amounts (anywhere between 60 and 100 damage). Having said that, the theory is that while using OP Shaman, my offensive artifacts aren't making that significant of a difference in the combat aspect of it. 

Of course, Magic_potence and + Int do not affect Lycanthrope or Monk attacks. But yet, when people lose to me as a lycan, they still blame it on the ar-ah-ah-ar-ah-ah-artifacts baby. 

Also, someone said that Offensive artifacts are a bonus. While this is true, in quite a few cases, they can be -way- overbearing. Going against Ilyon with his level 3 scythe and level 3 damage rune, I'm almost sure if my defense wasn't stacked up so high, he'd be able to beat me easily every t ime. Even with all the defense that I have, his damage and mana pressure is -insane-. That's just me though. 

Edit: Also, @Serrice kicks my ass all the time when I'm not careful, and she doesn't have a tenth of the artifacts that I do. Her curing is also terrible (and she knows this) which is why I'm going to dread the day she picks up Citadel ;_;. Still, that only means that -I- have to up my game, just like she does constantly when we go at it in the arena. 
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
  • I thought all the artifact weapons were removed, how does Ilyon have a lvl 3 scythe still??

• SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    What Illidan means is that Ilyon has +3 str and an l3 rune on his scythe.

• edited April 2013
    Ahh got it. ok thx Serrbutt Should we start a kickstarter for Serrice to get Citadel?

• SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    No, I have a copy.

• My manage pressure is high partially because people clot too much, ignoring passive mana-free clotting. Of course the rune helps too.

• EzalorEzalor Emperor D'baen Canada
    Moirean said:
    I think it should be acknowledged that there is a large power creep that has been building over time. A few years ago, Tekals were rare and many of us were content to PK our way towards eventual, maybe someday endgame. Over time, obviously, players eventually reach endgame and eventually gather artifacts - and while this may seem like a very gradual process for us, it's hugely daunting for someone who is new.

It's also become insanely easy to get endgame now though. Aere did it on Paris before he hit 19 and it's only gotten -easier- since those days; Tiyen, Xaanhal, chalices, !!!chocolates!!!, amulets, ylem orbs, etc etc etc etc.

If you just sat down and bashed with a couple chalices and sets of chocolates I'm sure you could go 1-100 in just 3 or 4 days.
    Angwe
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    I'm not denying that it's easier - but it's still mentally daunting, and points to a shift in perspectives. Before, fighters did not think endgame was a mandatory thing for good combat. Now, we do.
    CalipsoMalok
    Ilyon said:
    My manage pressure is high partially because people clot too much, ignoring passive mana-free clotting. Of course the rune helps too.
    ......yeah. As hard as your slash hits, someone would probably die to damage outright if they didn't. You're damned if you do, and damned if you don't. 
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
    Seir
  • MacavityMacavity Chicago, Il
    just because I am bored and thought I would display my artifacts....  Keep in mind that I have mine spread out because I do not like to come back to something decaying on me!  heh

Artifact List
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2946    A Torc of the Voidwalker                Being held by Macavity
     * voidwalker
    6102    A jewel-encrusted sacrificial dagger    Inside of "weaponbelt68558"
     * sacrifice
    10679   A deep cerulean vial                    Being held by Macavity
     * artifact_vial
    17706   A deep cerulean vial                    Being held by Macavity
     * artifact_vial
    19062   A midnight black voidstaff              Inside of "weaponbelt68558"
     * artifact_staff
    19547   A withered curio                        Being held by Macavity
     * hunt_cabalist(1)
    23352   A venantium carving knife               Being held by Macavity
     * woodcraft_boon
    27555   A glass syringe                         Being held by Macavity
     * artifact_syringe
    28513   A glass syringe                         Being held by Macavity
     * artifact_syringe
    28651   A ylem-binding gauntlet of the Parxian OBeing held by Macavity
     * <NONE>
    29429   A cloak of obscurity                    Being held by Macavity
     * obscuring_cloak
    44327   Peripleko's Eye                         Being held by Macavity
     * see_all_exits
    50612   A shrunken head                         Being held by Macavity
     * namedrop
    51127   A crystal divining skull                Being held by Macavity
     * divining
    56671   A reinforced tower shield               Being held by Macavity
     * artifact_shield
    58482   A luminous eyepatch                     Being held by Macavity
     * transparent_sight
    67391   A pair of midnight black trousers of proBeing held by Macavity
     * protection
    68558   A Selunic weaponbelt                    Being held by Macavity
     * weaponbelt
    74568   Bracers of proficiency                  Being held by Macavity
     * all_profs
    77183   A gem of adaptation                     Being held by Macavity
     * adaptation
    78867   A bottomless letter satchel             Being held by Macavity
     * letter_sheaf
    80033   A sulfurous amulet                      Being held by Macavity
     * caves_burrow
    81122   A clarion eyeglass                      Being held by Macavity
     * clearsight
    98563   A homing pigeon                         Being held by Macavity
     * homing_pigeon
    116800  A small wooden cask                     Starlight Sanctuary
     * cask
    128660  A small wooden cask                     Starlight Sanctuary
     * cask
    137669  The Libram of Transience                Being held by Macavity
     * free_transfer, quicklearn
    141135  A mobius needle of Bouchard             Being held by Macavity
     * venom_blood
    144733  The star chart of Elenina               Being held by Macavity
     * starchart
    158751  A stone tablet                          Being held by Macavity
     * darkness
    158835  A ring of the flood                     Being held by Macavity
     * flooding
    158973  A glass syringe                         Being held by Macavity
     * artifact_syringe
    161102  An ornately-carved ivory pipe           Being held by Macavity
     * artifact_pipe
    169834  An invigorating secure brass keyring    Being held by Macavity
     * keyring, heal_bonus(1)
    170556  A venantium shovel                      Being held by Macavity
     * shovel
    172200  A black dress shirt of the moon         Being held by Macavity
     * sunbane
    174280  A ring of parting                       Being held by Macavity
     * parting
    186824  An imbrued hemagogue                    Being held by Macavity
     * blood_thin(1)
    203871  A pair of whirring diffusal goggles     Being held by Macavity
     * <NONE>
    227501  A wyrmskin pack                         Being held by Macavity
     * <NONE>
    231280  A quiver of Cthalut                     Being held by Macavity
     * <NONE>
    234979  A wyrmscale moneypouch                  Being held by Macavity
     * moneypouch
    239625  A small wooden cask                     An empty stockroom
     * cask
    240019  A small wooden cask                     An empty stockroom
     * cask
    246722  An interdimensional pair of black underpBeing held by Macavity
     * cache_extension(1)
    250192  Brass knuckles                          Being held by Macavity
     * handtohand_damage(2)
    267752  A small wooden cask                     An empty stockroom
     * cask
    267838  A small wooden cask                     An empty stockroom
     * cask
    141610  A pair of black socks                   Being held by Macavity
     * stability
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
    Ezalor said:
    Moirean said:

It's also become insanely easy to get endgame now though. Aere did it on Paris before he hit 19 and it's only gotten -easier- since those days; Tiyen, Xaanhal, chalices, !!!chocolates!!!, amulets, ylem orbs, etc etc etc etc.

If you just sat down and bashed with a couple chalices and sets of chocolates I'm sure you could go 1-100 in just 3 or 4 days.
    Uh. I remember Paris not hitting Tekal until his mid twenties. I don't think anyone in history has hit tekal BEFORE they hit 19. 

The only person, to my knowledge, who ever came remotely close was Clio's alt who's name started with a C (who's name I forget). He abused the crap out of Teradrim 2.0 Bashing when they first came out, because they could apparently hunt Arbothia at level 50 with no problem. He hit Azudim right before he turned 20, but Tekal I think 1-2 days prior to that. That was some years ago, so it's all fuzzy to me. 

But anyhow, a fun story for you @Malok!

The very first day I sat down to play Aetolia,  I was just some little newbie trying to learn my little newbie druid skills with Gillbert (dear god) as my instructor. Tito was also there, going on about how he could kill anyone, and how he was the best fighter ever(lol), etc. 

I recall Resiak as a Teradrim, Cambion as some sort of necromancer, not sure if Indo/Cabalist/Infernal, and Xarian striding into Duiran that very same day. They instagibbed Gillbert, Tito bailed, and I was left there. So I, naturally, was like I'LL KEEL YOU. Cambion laughed at me as I hyena clawed him like once or twice, and then started to wither my limbs. Of course, i'm like "Holy crap, what's happening to me." as I couldn't attack, cause of broken arms. After that, I was vivisected as my first death experience ever. I then came back to see my own corpse impaled with the bone, and was lightweight traumatized by it. So I'd told all three of them, "One day, I'm going to be able to kill you. And when that day comes, I hope you will know the terror that you caused me everytime you hear my name." Of course, they lol'd at me. But then Cambion was like "Holy crap, I didn't realize you were a newbie. I'll take you bashing later." 

Now, I dunno about anyone being scared unicornsless of me, but now I can hold my own pretty well. I got here by practicing, studying combat, watching fights, dying a LOT, but learning all the while. Like Serrice said, I constantly have to ask Lanira to tweak Citadel, as i'm the Iron Man suit to his Tony Stark. I don't know how to code in C++, but I know what mechanically needs to be done, and he makes it so. Of course, he's not stupid either, so we also theorycraft on different ways to deal with different situations together. I was also having a conversation with @Haedyn the other day, who made pretty awesome point. Aetolians have a habit of berating people for losing, and learning from their losses. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm always open to help people who are willing to LEARN from losing a battle. However, the kinds of people that lose a battle, refuse to learn from it, and in fact make up excuses as to why they lost instead of actually trying to get better from it(Tina/Dourif), I have zero respect for. 
  • I've tried to make my points, but only very few people seem to get it, so I'm not going to bother anymore. Still not interested in PVP in this game, at all, and won't be for the foreseeable future. Cool story, though.
    "Hell hath no hold on a warrior’s mind, see how the snow has made each of us blind. Vibrant colors spray from new dead, staining the earth such a beautiful red."
  • SeirSeir Seein' All the Things Getting high off your emotion
    Illidan said:
    Ilyon said:
    My manage pressure is high partially because people clot too much, ignoring passive mana-free clotting. Of course the rune helps too.
    ......yeah. As hard as your slash hits, someone would probably die to damage outright if they didn't. You're damned if you do, and damned if you don't. 
    This.

Your scythe slash was doing around 20% of my health. If I didn't clot, your damage would've gone up. I died against you without a single affliction, just to give you an idea at how effortless your pressure is right now.
  • That's the idea, yes. Unlike the "traditional" affliction classes, BB afflictions are not meant to be stacked. They're there to be cured, burning some mana by doing so.

SeirHadoryuXiuhcoatlIllikaal
  • Illidan said:
    Being killed as a newbie

I actually had a waaay similar experience to this one of my first times ever playing. I was in the Sentaari GH with Aviv and Clearwater, then Hazzyq prism'd in to try and raid the place. He killed both of them, then when I started trying to speak up about defending the place jabbed me with curare. Naturally I didn't have cures at all at the time, and I sat there waiting for somebody to come help >_>

Feelings, sensations that you thought were dead. No squealin' remember, that it's all in your head.
    edited April 2013
    Ilyon said:
    That's the idea, yes. Unlike the "traditional" affliction classes, BB afflictions are not meant to be stacked. They're there to be cured, burning some mana by doing so.
    I don't know where you're getting this idea that Bloodborn is somehow different from other affliction classes. Yes, I understand that you're designed to create pressure, but you were doing it without any sort of build up like every other affliction class is subject to. Also, throwing in a sarcastic quip in your signature in order to downplay the significance of how much damage you're dealing doesn't really help your case either.

People are presenting a legitimate concern about how much damage you're producing mostly because your artifacts are creating an outlier situation. It's a sensitive thing to balance, but considering that Bloodborn are not a "damage" class at their core, it seems a bit overwhelming when you're dishing out 1.3k damage a scythe slash on top of a venom, bleeding, and two other afflictions that will take away 150 mana per whisper due to a Bloodborn ritual.
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    What class were you in that you were losing 20% of your health each slash? o.o Syssin or something?
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    edited April 2013
    Lycanthrope, though Illidan has reported similar damage numbers as a Shaman.

Though in reality, it doesn't matter. Sentinels were downgraded due to their damage awhile back due to how much damage they were doing to Monks, Lycanthropes, and Mages. Same logic should apply. Too much damage without even utilizing the bulk of Mentis nor using Sensitivity on the scythe. I didn't have Temptation or Seduction on me, for example. Ilyon could've been doing more damage if Ilyon chose to.
  • Moirean said:
    I think Moi really hit the nail on the head here. 
    Malok
  • @Seir, more for clarifying. Is it the +3 str artifact and rune, or is it the scythe itself that is causing the issue?

After wping my scythe  it is a 150 dmg, 50 pen, 84 speed. Hacking myself I did 1497 damage to myself but I also was completely defenseless with a 10% cutting audit. With both trans weaponry and Hema.

edited April 2013
    I think it's largely to due with how +Str possibly scales with the scythe. It's hard to say as I don't have the means to test it.

In the past, the +Int artifact combined with magic potence created some ridiculous scaling because of +Int. I wouldn't be surprised if +stat was the culprit again.

Edit: I think two solutions would be for one to check to make sure +str isn't scaling out of control with weapon runes. Also, it's probably time we consider buffing the damage mitigation of Monk, Mage, and Lycan. This issue seems to be cropping up nearly -all- the time with them and it would resolve a lot of issues if they were buffed up to a reasonable audit level.
  • I do have the means. All numbers are against full BB defs and 6438 maxhealth, blessing included.

17 str is what you get with the Powerful statpack, Potence, and blessing. That's what you'd use if you had no artifacts.
    16 str is the same, except Wise statpack.
    19 str and Wise statpack is what I have.

17 Strength, regular scythe:
    You extend into a lunging arc, assaulting yourself with a gruesome crescent scythe etched with
    the name of $NAME.
    Health Lost: 946, cutting.
    Balance Used: 3.84 seconds

16 Strength, regular scythe:
    You extend into a lunging arc, assaulting yourself with a gruesome crescent scythe etched with
    the name of $NAME.
    Health Lost: 889, cutting.

16 Strength, runed scythe:
    You extend into a lunging arc, assaulting yourself with a gruesome crescent scythe.
    Health Lost: 950, cutting.
    Balance Used: 3.44 seconds

19 Strength, regular scythe:
    Raising a gruesome crescent scythe etched with the name of $NAME over your shoulder, you
    viciously slice at yourself.
    Health Lost: 1059, cutting.

19 Strength, runed scythe:
    Spinning a gruesome crescent scythe around you, you gash open yourself.
    Health Lost: 1130, cutting.
    Balance Used: 3.44 seconds

Which gives me a total of 19% damage gain and 11% speed gain over an unartifacted Bloodborn, which translates to a total of 32% gain in DPS. Not anything to scoff at, but within the line of what I'd expect from the artifacts to do.

DourifXiuhcoatl
    edited April 2013
    Then it's largely a problem with the physical audits of Lycanthrope, Monk, and Mage.

Edit: Which is fine then. I can largely justify creating reports for Thickhide/Toughness respectively given the recent downgrades to Miasma and comparing the audits of other classes to put them at a competitive level.

Edit: Although, when I get home today, I'll likely see if I can grab a Bloodborn and Praenomen both to get an accurate assessment of their pressure for future reference.
  • edited April 2013
    Honestly bloodborn is what I consider a sort of gestalt class. That is to say they're an affliction-damage mix. Consider that their instakill is a mana-damage instakill, though they have feed as well if they want to try and get fancy. The idea is that they'll force an opponent to prioritize health over mana, via clotting, focus and the like, and eventually hit the point where they can annihilate.

That said, there may be some issues with the way artifacts scale to damage with the scythe, considering they're a fairly durable class with some good unique effects...I don't know. More analysis would be nice, maybe some logs and such?

Edit: I can tell you right now, though - unless there has been some steepish downgrades to their defense since I last played bloodborn, they're going to be some tanky unicorns.

• IRE combat has a huge barrier to entry. I'm pretty sure nobody actually disagrees with that. Yeah, it cost lots of time or money to get the needed credits to compete against top tier guys without getting instagibbed and it takes a TON more know-how to code up a system that prevents getting face-rolled.

Yeah, there's a lot of power-creep. The top PKers of today are collectively are way more artied out than the top PKers of yesteryear (collectively.) I say collectively, because in individual terms you still had people like Bilexius who would splurge 3200cr on just a pair of rapiers. Or people like Dourif who literally staffcasted most plebs for 60% of their health, but that was ok, he had so many arties.

Now we want everything to be nice and cozy and level, but the fact is, there are going to be tons of people who will kick your ass, no questions asked if you don't invest massively. And if you're not investing absolutely massively and are just learning PK at sort of a leisurely pace, they'll still be kicking your ass 5 real years from now. But do you really have an argument as to why these people should be denied an edge they've been cultivating over half a decade and thousands of dollars worth of credits?

And as much as power has crept, learning combat in the olden days was much harder. You didn't have forums, you didn't have free systems, you didn't have affliction view, you didn't have stable clients, you didn't have this sort of 'I'll help you learn so we can make the PK pool bigger' altruism. When I started learning, people would be hush-hush over affliction messages and over what herbs cured what or over what herb balance even meant.

The reality of IRE combat is that a ton of people have spent a ton of time and money to get really, really good at it. A fix that flattens the learning curve means flattening their investment as well, which is an obviously bad thing. They also tend to be the game's biggest-paying customers. But the brighter side of it is that it isn't really that hard to get started, thanks to the massive support and resources offered to new combat enthusiasts, so long as you're being realistic about what you want to achieve and in what timeframe. If you want quick gratification, I'm afraid you're SOL.

XiuhcoatlIllikaal
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    Sorry, Hadoryu, I had to lol at 'massive support'.

This has completely turned around in the past IRL month or so, but even in Duiran, I couldn't even get basic questions about afflictions answered when I started. There was no one who taught combat for my class around, and the few people who did understand Sentinel combat couldn't be assed to help. I had a similar experience with my first character.

Every other IRE game has at least one decent, usable system around. If not for free, it'll cost about 25USD because Vadi set the precedent. This hasn't happened here. There is no Vadi here. So people charge w/e for utter crap systems and straight-up overcharge for decent stuff.

Look, I know many people spent years becoming 31337 c0d3rz and all that, but if you're going to make it a requirement to either learn C+++ or spend half your paycheck on software, you can't really complain about the lack of new combatants coming around. Shit is unreasonable.
    CalipsoMalok
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    edited April 2013
    I dunno what it is about the game environment and the forum environment as largely the same people exist actively in both mediums but I've come to the conclusion as far as 'massive combat support' goes:

Within the game environment, quality help or even available help is all in who you know

On the forums, none of that matters. If you ask, at most you're waiting a few hours unless it's a question that doesn't have a common answer or something.

Why it's that way? I cannot explain it but that's how it looks to me! xD

Edit: Actually, they might just be AFK more often in the game environment. I know a lot of players who have Aet up but are playing League of Legends or Call of Duty or something.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2