Announce post #3176: Aegis and PK

Comments

• Bulrok said:
    Apparently you guys pk'd him into the dirt even though it'd be a tough fight between him and a pincher. I wanna know if my sources are accurate.
    He got PKed for being generally insulting to a Divine order. When he posted an apology, we stopped.

Don't act like you guys wouldn't do that too. You guys did that stuff to Slyphe's order for just about the same level of inconsequential nonsense. 
    LinIllikaalSeurimas
  • edited April 2021
    Bulrok said:

Apparently you guys pk'd him into the dirt even though it'd be a tough fight between him and a pincher. I wanna know if my sources are accurate.

I only remember PKing Merek and Archelaus for bashing Jaru. The only other thing I remember in recent memory is Merek declaring war on Omei, so Iesid killed him a few times until he made him write a public apology.

Tell me how I'm doing!
    (Web): Mileta says, "Okay... Sry is an edgelord..."

(Web): Dreww says, "Sryaen just wants to be the best Dhar boi and slaughter everyone."
    LinSeurimas
  • edited April 2021

So why was Sryaen involved when he's not in the Congregation or Order of Omei? I just checked.
    LinSeurimas
  • Nisavi said:
    So why was Sryaen involved when he's not in the Congregation or Order of Omei? I just checked.
    I don't think Sryaen was ever involved in that, aside as an audience because it started and ended in a shop he was RPing in.
    LinSeurimas
  • TetchtaTetchta The Innocent
    Slyphe has an order?

LinSeurimasBenedicto
  • edited April 2021
    Iesid said:

Nisavi said:

I don't think Sryaen was ever involved in that, aside as an audience because it started and ended in a shop he was RPing in.

Okay, fair enough.
    LinSeurimas
  • HI MY NAME IS NAOS. I LIKE THIS CHANGE. 

You should not be allowed to set yourself up in an advantageous way for a conflict that has STRICT lines of beginning and ending. You do not have the right to feel affronted when the opposing team in this event tries to nullify the already sleazy advantage you are trying to take. YOU SHOULDN’T GET TO CLAIM CAUSE OVER SOMETHING YOU STARTED. 
    NisaviLinSaltzAukanSryaenValeriaBenedictoXavinRhineIllikaalArathSeurimas
  • Naos said:

HI MY NAME IS NAOS. I LIKE THIS CHANGE. 

You should not be allowed to set yourself up in an advantageous way for a conflict that has STRICT lines of beginning and ending. You do not have the right to feel affronted when the opposing team in this event tries to nullify the already sleazy advantage you are trying to take. YOU SHOULDN’T GET TO CLAIM CAUSE OVER SOMETHING YOU STARTED. 

Then the easiest solution, as I stated and would support as I stated, would be to just remove any and all aegises from Scidve at the start of rounds or just not allow them to be there. This blanket ruling basically makes it so you can't really have aegises, even non-hostile ones, anywhere and anyone with a group is allowed to sit and destroy it and you have to just take it with zero recourse.
    ArathSeurimasTetchta
  • No, the easiest recourse is to know when you’re trying to ply an unfair advantage during a situation with clear and concise rules of engagement. It takes a touch more common sense, I know, but I have faith. 
    AukanSryaenLinValeriaBenedictoXavinIllikaalRhineArathSeurimas
  • RijettaRijetta Nowhere Important
    This topic shall bear no more fruit. I'm closing this.
    A low, sultry voice resounds within the depths of your mind, "I look forward to seeing your descent."
    LinTetchtaNisavi
  • Naos said:

No, the easiest recourse is to know when you’re trying to ply an unfair advantage during a situation with clear and concise rules of engagement. It takes a touch more common sense, I know, but I have faith. 

Snippy responses aside, you ignored everything I just said. I said I was fine with them being removed from Scidve. I said my opposition is with how the rules are applied now. If you're going to badger someone about common sense, please at least read the entirety of my post first.
  • No, Nisavi, you don’t get to try and make me out in that light. Half of the people in this thread are already up in arms over yet ‘MORE PK RULES THAT ARE SET IN STONE, OMG ORGANIC ROLEPLAY’. I know, I can read it in the discord’s I belong to as well. Your way is just that: hard-coded stances that limit PK. All that’s been done here is an effort to keep an even playing field during something that amounts to nothing more than a track and field event. 

They’re saying that you shouldn’t go and spread spikes across your opponents lane before the race. They’re saying that if you do, you don’t get the opportunity to get mad when they pick them off the ground. They’re saying that if anyone gets to get their shit rocked in revenge, it’s the person spreading the spikes before the race - not the guys picking up the traps. 
    SaltzSryaenValeriaXavinIllikaalLinCzciennArathBenedictoSeurimas
  • Naos said:

No, Nisavi, you don’t get to try and make me out in that light. Half of the people in this thread are already up in arms over yet ‘MORE PK RULES THAT ARE SET IN STONE, OMG ORGANIC ROLEPLAY’. I know, I can read it in the discord’s I belong to as well. Your way is just that: hard-coded stances that limit PK. All that’s been done here is an effort to keep an even playing field during something that amounts to nothing more than a track and field event. 

They’re saying that you shouldn’t go and spread spikes across your opponents lane before the race. They’re saying that if you do, you don’t get the opportunity to get mad when they pick them off the ground. They’re saying that if anyone gets to get their unicorns rocked in revenge, it’s the person spreading the spikes before the race - not the guys picking up the traps. 
    You're quite literally the one being snide with "It takes a touch more common sense, I know, but I have faith". Don't drop snark if you can't handle it, I guess?

Additionally, that's -fine-. I already literally said if the problem was Scidve, then that's more than fine. I argued earlier that these rules basically make it to where any aegis, regardless of intent or whether it is hostile at all, is now subject to being attacked by a group because of how broad Rule #2 is and how easy it is to justify under it and the only response is: "Well, if you don't go fight that entire group then and there, you just have to deal with it when they all go back to their city once the deed is done."
    edited April 2021
    Does this Aegis ruling include things like shrines when they're put down in contested areas such as Orrery? Will you still get a 24 hour defile aura for taking down shrines at Orrery and other major contest spots if they might confer an advantage?

• edited April 2021
    @Tetchta You beat me to it by seconds, because i agree they look similar. I don't think we really need a mechanical enforcement for it, but below is my take.

Is the main purpose of dropping a shrine at the middle of observatory gaining advantage during a conflict event that doesn't revolve around Gods? Clearly. Is it wrong to want that advantage? No. Is it wrong to want to nullify that advantage? Also no. So if a tether wanted to destroy it and the opposite side wanted to defend it that's fine. But after that attempt, enemying those people to the order, claiming causes for defilement? I guess you could do those, because it makes sense in a RP world. But you'd look poor sports, because everyone knows the act is about getting rid of the permanent fortification in a conflict zone and that's not about defying the God. If anything, the people who put their Divines shrines there got Them involved in it.

Mjoll
  • A shrine isn't an aggressive action? But like, you can still get beat up for a shrine anyhow. Maybe do something like uh, the players can't come kill you but like, you might have to deal with an angry god at some point. That opens up possibilities for cool rp tho.
    NisaviEhtiasSeurimas
    I really think all those arguments could easily be said about Aegis, @Saltz, the only difference is that Shrines have a much bigger mechanical consequence for taking them down than Aegis does. 24 hour logged in Defilement aura--otherwise, mechanically, we're talking about the same sort of thing: a thing that takes a long time to put down that confers an advantage to one side over the other and generates PK cause by trying to nullify that advantage.

Also, @Rasani, broadly, across the game? No, it's not an aggressive action. But if you're placing it in Orrery, it absolutely is an aggressive action. It's levying a mechanical advantage over a contest spot. That's inherently aggressive.

ArathSeurimas
  • Rasani said:

A shrine isn't an aggressive action? But like, you can still get beat up for a shrine anyhow. Maybe do something like uh, the players can't come kill you but like, you might have to deal with an angry god at some point. That opens up possibilities for cool rp tho.

A shrine enables aggressive actions. You could make the same argument (and it has been made, I think) that an Aegis isn't aggressive if it doesn't have any aggressive glyphs on it.
    Copperhead of the Third Spoke says to you, "Intelligence matrix in moniker Bulrok reveals above average results when compared alongside proximal presence."
    TetchtaNisaviArath
    edited April 2021
    As someone else put it to me:

"A shrine has two purposes:
    1. To accept offerings
    2. To be used aggressively against hostiles.
    Shrines in Orrery aren't there for the first purpose, they are 100% there for the second purpose."

edit: I also think this illustrates why prophylactics such as closing Orrery off to such advantages to begin with or in some way making them impossible is a much better solution than trying to make stangely draconian PK rules to address it--one is more broad and addresses the actual problem (levying unfair advantages and weird PK drama stemming from controlled PVP scenarios) while the other just unfairly punishes one narrow case. Closing Orrery off and/or having it pop those entrenched bonuses when it opens will stop all iterances of this sort of problem, wheras these Aegis PK rules are just...well, probably going to cause more problems.

ArathNisavi
  • edited April 2021
    Tetchta said:

I really think all those arguments could easily be said about Aegis, @Saltz, the only difference is that Shrines have a much bigger mechanical consequence for taking them down than Aegis does.

Definitely. And there are even less consequential entrenchments we could look at as an example, I could drop Piety rites at observatory and a Teradrim that's passing by is unable to move because of it. Then they go ahead and attack the Rite and get rid of them*. But it makes no sense to have a cause on that Teradrim because of it, right?

They are all similar concepts really.
    You slipped in before my edit, but you're not wrong, which is why I think a more favorable solution to this general thing is to make it harder/impossible overall to do those types of entrenching maneuvers in Orrery in the first place. A more broad addressment is needed, I think, than this PK rule stuff.

Arath
  • edited April 2021
    I have to say then, that the logic there becomes a bit restrictive when you apply that same logic you have on the larger world as a whole (major hunting area which is a bulk of areas, caravan routes, frequently used paths ie. highways, etc).

Also I don't think there are ways for us to remove rites, are there?
    TetchtaArath
  • Teradrim can remove a *few* rites, and of those, some are unable to be removed unless the Teradrim is on the casters enemy list.
    Copperhead of the Third Spoke says to you, "Intelligence matrix in moniker Bulrok reveals above average results when compared alongside proximal presence."
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    Ooof. This is not going to do well in the long term and only really attempts to temporarily placate some people of two fundamentally different groups for the short term. I'm disappointed with the ruling honestly but at least the silver lining is that the rules are updated to better reflect the current dominant culture and mentality of the playerbase. Us oldbies lamenting the passing of a bygone age will eventually suck it up or leave. It is what it is.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    Rhyot
  • edited April 2021
    A couple of points I want to address.

* Comparing aegises to traps, rites, etc.
    I think there are a couple of big differences that set aegises apart. Traps only hit once. Rites only last a set amount of time. Aegises can, essentially, last forever. The only way to remove them is for some people to spend a extremely long time dampening it, during which they basically can't do anything. A single command by an enemy would be able to stop the attempt completely. They are also just a lot more powerful in general.

I think the fairer comparison for the other things mentioned is actually glyphs. Aegises are intentionally a lot more powerful because they are a necessary defence mechanism for cities. I honestly think we should just remove them from in other parts of the game tbh.

* Conflict
    So I've seen this argument many times. "More PK rules means less conflict." No, it doesn't. It means less finding flimsy excuses for PKing people who have no interest in playing your game, yes, but if that's what you're actually concerned about then just say it and we can argue the merits of that. However, there is not and will never be anything stopping you and your other conflict/PK hungry friends from agreeing to just PKing each other within whatever rules you set for yourselves.
    TetchtaBulrokNisaviHavenArathIllikaalSeurimas
    edited April 2021
    Considering conflict of all sorts is at record lows at the moment, Czc, I don't think you're right about that. And that's not just PK conflict. Org conflict, pk, whathaveyou--things are way, way down, and not in a good way, I don't think. The community seems incredibly conflict-averse/conflict-intollerant at the moment, both ICly and OOCly, and I don't think having more rules to enable weaponizing the admin to punish that conflict is going to help things.

NisaviHavenArath
  • Correlation does not imply causation. Besides, before this rule people were already trying to "weaponize the admin". Maybe it's just a sign that most people don't enjoy unorganised, spontaneous PK as much as some of you do. I'm just saying there's nothing stopping those of you who do from picking fights with each other.
    edited April 2021
    If you don't enjoy spontaneous, unorganized PK then don't engage in it. I don't enjoy it, and don't engage in it (mostly). It doesn't mean my character is exempt from a violent world with violent consequences. I mean you PK'd me for bashing over you once, you didn't see me tossing down an issue over it. Also, yeah, people will always try to weaponize the administration. I'm just saying these sorts of rules are going to encourage it even more.

HavenArath
  • @Elene I'm almost certain I've seen Borm deal with them before, but don't take my word for it. It's been a while and I can't seem to find it in ABs. If you can't do anything else you can just drop Ivory Bough to remove them though.

@Tetchta @Elene about open world PK, yeah. You are right. We could get all that clarified and that'd be nice, or alternatively we could just try to be a bit more empathetic to the others while playing the same game and do less of things that make less sense. As to this rule change's specifity? Aegis issues (literal ISSUES) have been around for over 4-5 (? not sure) months now, and there still seems to be one coming after another I don't think the administration is in the wrong for making a specific rule about it. That's probably a lot of paid staff time and attention that could be spent on improving the game instead. I'm not really logging in to play for a few months now due to RL stuff, but I see that some mirrors are getting released and folks are very excited. That's just grand. Let's have more of this and less of that please.
  • Tetchta said:

If you don't enjoy spontaneous, unorganized PK then don't engage in it. I don't enjoy it, and don't engage in it (mostly). It doesn't mean my character is exempt from a violent world with violent consequences. I mean you PK'd me for bashing over you once, you didn't see me tossing down an issue over it. Also, yeah, people will always try to weaponize the administration. I'm just saying these sorts of rules are going to encourage it even more.

I attacked because you intentionally hit over people and goaded people when they asked you to stop, so I'm not sure what comparison you're trying to make.

But anyway, it's clear that the admins have some bottom lines, whether they say them out loud or not. They only make these things clear because people keep pushing the boundaries until the only option is to make it clear what those bottom lines are. Honestly, I don't see how most of this isn't just common sense. We'd actually get a lot less of these rulings if we just stopped pretending we are always in the right just because it doesn't explicitly state that they're wrong.