Sect v3.0?

I recently thought of a neat idea that may address one of the biggest problems with Sect. Match fixing. 

To my surprise players actually plan Sect matches with friends for practice. From my understanding this isn’t what the Sect arena is for. City arenas are perfectly capable when friends would like to spar for practice. 

But within Sect whoever places a challenge should be prepared to fight any warriors ready to step forward. In order to improve the integrity of the rank system, I thought of a very simple idea that should be easy to implement.

A Sect Pool. Whenever a challenge is placed, a 30 second to 1 minute timer begins. During this time anyone can accept this challenge and when the time runs out. BAM! RNG kicks in and places you with a random player from the pool. 

This small improvement would get rid of the possibility of planned Sect matches. Eventually multiple Sect instances could be made as well.
LinRijettaSeurimasEhtiasNaos

Comments

• RijettaRijetta Nowhere Important
    Would rather just get ranked matchmaking.
    A low, sultry voice resounds within the depths of your mind, "I look forward to seeing your descent."
  • edited January 2021
    That was off topic. Anyways seems fine as is. I know some people don't want to fight certain others because they're not worth points anymore but that seems to be just an issue with sect points in general.

• edited January 2021
    I think you're solving a problem that doesn't exist. "Be prepared to fight anyone" seems less the point than "be prepared to fight to the best of your abilities". I know some people really want the former, while most people are content if everyone does the latter. If people are going into the Sect arena to just trade wins for the milestones, that'd be wrong. If people just want practice against a friend's class or to offer some pointers, and earn a few points along the way, that's fine. Sect is already a pretty shallow pool of players. Policing rematches and friendly matches doesn't seem helpful.

That said, I have my own Sect v3.0 idea: semi-seasonal Swiss-style tournaments, please! Arios 10th and Niuran 10th (12.5 days after each Orrery starts) seed the tournament (based on signups open from the 1st to the 9th), give everyone a day or two to get each of their match(es) done, dole out points based on the final standings. Swiss is great because there's no elimination and the matches will keep on coming. Top-4 can move on to a elimination bracket if we want a good finale. With all of the group-PVP content, it would be nice to have some regular event for 1v1.
    Didi has expressed her esteem of you for the following reason: Smart organized leader.
    Experience Gained: 47720 (Special) [total: 2933660]
    Needed for LVL: 122.00775356245
    AlmolRijetta
  • Ehtias said:

That was off topic. Anyways seems fine as is. I know some people don't want to fight certain others because they're not worth points anymore but that seems to be just an issue with sect points in general.

Unfortunately in a ranked system, I don't think that's up for players to decide. At least it shouldn't. Everytime you challenge in sect you have a risk of losing to someone good or bad. (Good and Bad used to refer to high rank and low rank. Not skill).
  • Rijetta said:

Would rather just get ranked matchmaking.

How would that look?
  • Seurimas said:

I think you're solving a problem that doesn't exist. "Be prepared to fight anyone" seems less the point than "be prepared to fight to the best of your abilities". I know some people really want the former, while most people are content if everyone does the latter. If people are going into the Sect arena to just trade wins for the milestones, that'd be wrong. If people just want practice against a friend's class or to offer some pointers, and earn a few points along the way, that's fine. Sect is already a pretty shallow pool of players. Policing rematches and friendly matches doesn't seem helpful.

That said, I have my own Sect v3.0 idea: semi-seasonal Swiss-style tournaments, please! Arios 10th and Niuran 10th (12.5 days after each Orrery starts) seed the tournament (based on signups open from the 1st to the 9th), give everyone a day or two to get each of their match(es) done, dole out points based on the final standings. Swiss is great because there's no elimination and the matches will keep on coming. Top-4 can move on to a elimination bracket if we want a good finale. With all of the group-PVP content, it would be nice to have some regular event for 1v1.

I wouldn't consider it policing sect, more than making sure there's integrity in the sect ranking system. Friends can practice in city arena's just fine. Also, a system is not going to help people fight to the best of their abilities. That's up to the individual. A ranking system should be dedicated to fighting anyone willing to accept your challenge. And this acceptance should not be prearranged.

The tournament idea is good, but it wouldn't replace sect. It would simply be an addition to. Which I'm in support of as well.
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    Idea: bring back the Arionic tournaments

Required:
    1. a) Update the Ulafum on Mostyn to match today's level of difficulty. People who get to the top may Register for the tournament.

b) Make it possible to choose a level of difficulty at the door of the tower for different tiers. Different tiers = different brackets in the tournament = different fame. I.e. winning top tier means you have gone through top difficulty in the tower and won duels against other peers. Winning mid tier means you fight others who climbed the tower at mid difficulty, leaving low tier for less prestigious fights, but still opens up for those who want in on the fun. There can even be one for Newbies or below level 50.

2. Set up an open/closed system for the tower, so that registration is open a season before the actual tournament starts.

3. After the registration closes, let the tournament @Seurimas suggested kick off, sorting people according to their tiered registration at the top of the Ulafum.

Jhin