Announce post #3159: Multiple Artifacts

1/10/2021 at 2:04
Tiur, the Gnosis
Everyone
Multiple Artifacts

We've made a change to artifacts! They now default to not allowing multiples to be purchased. This is because some of you were clever and figured out how we store cooldowns and realized you could bypass them entirely with multiple artifacs. We'll be refunding some of them, like the fishing spears. Others like the hunting knife set... we're discussing and haven't decided.

It was getting egregious and gold generation was absurd. Also imagine owning multiple reflection wands? Gah. Keroc is currently upgrading our cooldowns system so things can't trick us in the future.

-T

PS. There are still examples of things we didn't flag as able to be multiples, issue if you have questions about specifics!

Penned by my hand on Gosday, the 15th of Niuran, in the year 492 MA.
ยซ13

Comments

• I really wonder what "absurd" gold generation means.

I have had 10 spears (1000 credits) for 7 days and in total I've earned 151583 gold from it. That's around 21500 gold per day. People afk quest for more than that.
    RhineIsiaStineMazzionValidanValorieIllikaalArchelausAloli
  • Okay so I have spent 2500 credits on spears. I get about 60k gold a day off of them IF I remember to use them at every opportunity. That's about ten credits on a good day? At that rate, without missing a day it would take me 250 days just to break even and that's assuming I am online to use all 25 spears every 30 minutes for 8 hours.. which is not often the case at all. I am failing to see how this is absurd gold after the investment put into it.
  • Thank you for fixing lockets so quickly.
    StineRhineLin
  • RhyotRhyot Bloodloch
    edited January 2021
    Ok. Let's pull on the reins a little bit. Let's take a look at this from an IRE revenue perspective.

Utilizing Czcibor's example of 10 spears for 21.5K gold per day is far from ridiculous. I can bash that in a day (and then some) EASILY. So this isn't really an issue. Not only that, but they are 100 credits each. Which with platinums is five days of work or $40 if someone decides to buy them with RL money. The more money spent on these artifacts, the more money IRE makes. So that's not exactly an issue.

Knife sets: Oh dear almighty gods, just please do not entertain the thought process of trying to eliminate those as non-multiple item. Everyone has spent hundreds of dollars trying to acquire these pieces. Even during the Item Collection loot crate promo (which was one of the MOST lucrative promos that Aetolia has ever had), thousands of dollars were spent collecting various items, OF WHICH the hunters set was one of them. I personally spent nearly $300 on those loot crate sets and I know another person who spent almost double that for their sets. Removing the ability to multiply them would be absolutely DEVASTATING to a lot of the promos because why should we worry about such a unique artifact if we can only have one of them?

Both of these examples are strictly limited by the player's direct usage. So even if Czcibor spent 1000 credits ($300) for 10 spears, he's barely getting any return back. 1000 cr *6000 per = 6,000,000 gold. It would take him roughly 280 days to get anywhere near having paid that out in terms of gold use and that's if he even uses them every day. Same thing with knives. These artifacts are limited directly by player use, but we spend far more money in the attempt to GET THEM. In some cases, we spend 25+ cr per knife piece to buy from other players. This brings in MORE revenue because you either a) buy with money or b) buy with gold. But the gold purchases are only able to be done because someone ELSE bought with real money. It's a cycle.

Let's take a strong step back from limiting multiple artifacts and just look at the ones that DIRECTLY influence PVP like the reflection wand, which isn't exactly utilized in combat much from what I've seen. But I could be wrong and someone could have thought of something nifty and cheesy.

***Edit: Indorani collars would be excluded because they are unique to have considering the hefty cost and limited pacts for them otherwise and they are a one-time use per Chaos Lord.

However, if it does not directly influence or have the capability to directly influence PVP, then I would leave it the same. So what if someone buys 5000 knife sets? There's only 24 hours in a day and they gotta sleep at some point which means a lot of these knife sets aren't going to get used! So what if someone buys 5000 spears, that's more revenue generation for Aetolia because people will continue buying credits for more artifacts, special auctions, or as a trade currency for limited minipets/relics.

***Edit: If the fact of gold generation via spears is "too much" (which I don't think it is considering I can bash that easily), then change their time usage from every 30 minutes to once/day just like a knife set.

In the end, Aetolia loses out on potential revenue as much as the players lose out on fun additional artifacts. Nobody wins and no one is happy.

IsiaMazzionValidanDrystin
  • TetchtaTetchta The Innocent
    There's gotta be more fun ways to go down in flames than nerfing multiple knives. Like jumping out of an airplane without a parachute or something idk I'm just spitballing here.

IsiaMoxieAeryx
  • I wanted to refrain from chiming in, but seeing as more and more recent changes seem to catch themselves in my path. There really isn't a value of credits you can refund on the hunters tools, that would ease the sting on refunding 'multiple' items. Let alone when you spend hundreds on crowbars/relic crates/credits to buy the pieces from others. I'll use the example here of having 21 of these sets. Instead of poking everyone in the eye, I might propose adding stipulations/work arounds to how they work such as flagging certain exploited areas as being un-knifeable. I won't do a laundry list of quest areas, but you get the idea behind this. (going with the don't punish the masses for the few theory here)

As of now, the tool sets have kept hunting alive with the abundance of players bashing, while I known a decision hasn't been made - I will say I am concerned as bashing is probably my primary entertainment as of late.

Just asking - please stop and think hard on these before acting hastily.
    IsiaEhtiasMoxieCzciennDrystinIllikaalAloli
  • Agreed with most of what has been said here. The payback on items such as spear (which i do not have a multiple) or hunters tool set (which i have a total of two) are no where near game breaking or impacting as you might think. Additionally, even if you could come up with a way to properly refund hunters tool sets (no idea how you would, some of those cost people 600 credits to build one, or as low as maybe 100 credits), it will make the bashing areas ten times worse. When I was on max chocoloates, i could bash a good 5 or 6 areas per hour. Tcanna is what, 40 mins if you have it start to finish, all mobs including flying/trees. So when I was able to use multiple knifes, it kept me from clearing 5 or 6 other areas. Even with the very nice new releases, we are just barely breaking even. Removal of knives will put us right back and probably worse than before the addition of the new areas. Unless there was something you didn't want to release as public knowledge, I am seeing nothing that would call for massive reductions to these artifacts. It also seems like wasted coding resources when so many other projects and bugs are in dire need of coding time.

PK items definitely should be reviewed and adjusted, agreed. The other stuff mentioned, please reconsider.
    ValidanCzciennIsiaDrystinAloli
  • edited January 2021
    I'm not really sure how fishing works or how free the gold is from that artifact, but could you feed milestone credits and purchased credits into stacks and stacks of spears for runaway earnings? Why break even when you can be earning 510k a day by next year?
    Didi has expressed her esteem of you for the following reason: Smart organized leader.
    Experience Gained: 47720 (Special) [total: 2933660]
    Needed for LVL: 122.00775356245
  • Listen.. as someone who has no knife sets but regularly stalks people who do, I'm asking you to please not nerf knife sets. The generous contribution by these unwittingly selfless individuals to my leveling enjoyment would be sorely missed.
    MoxieTetchtaIsiaLinBenedictoSaybreAloliJhinArath
  • Seurimas said:

I'm not really sure how fishing works or how free the gold is from that artifact, but could you feed milestone credits and purchased credits into stacks and stacks of spears for runaway earnings? Why break even when you can be earning 510k a day by next year?

I feel like you are a bot...you too can earn 510k a day by working at home. Click on www.spamartiespears.com to learn more.
    SeurimasDrystinBulrokTetchtaCzciennSibattiValidanRijettaAloli
  • Seurimas said:
    There are limited numbers of fish to spear in the first place. With the number I have and other people fishing, I often see the "You see nothing in the water to spear." Message - which by the way comes up before it is not able to be fished the normal way. So even rolling all of your earnings and milestones into more spears.. there comes a point of it not being worth it and that point is well before you would be able to take in 510k a day ๐Ÿ˜’
    Seurimas
  • edited January 2021
    I'm actually not advocating strongly for keeping multiple spears as long as I can get a full refund on all of them, but I just find the idea of "absurd" gold generation being the reason for the change to be unfair and inconsistent. Remember, they still cost 100 credits each and you aren't going to break even faster just because you have multiple. In fact, because it's another one of those activities with a fixed amount that is doable given a period of time, at some point you'll reach diminishing returns so it actually takes longer to break even since you won't be able to use it in the most profitable areas, or in an even more extreme case, at all. So Seurimas' 510k a day thing just won't work in practice, and also discounts the fact that it's well over 20k credits investment, which is much more than a majority of players will ever see. The gold is meaningless compared to that.
    Isia
  • SibattiSibatti Mamba dur Naya Amidst vibrant flora and trees
    When I think hard about it from a big picture standpoint, it seems ridiculous that owning a dozen or more knife sets is seen as necessary to begin with. Not that I'm advocating for their removal.

I'm going to ask again, why not allow consumable buffs to be paused? That would relieve a good chunk of anxiety that surrounds having to get maximum value / efficiency out of a bashing session. Sure, you can argue that it's the choice you make, that sacrificing all other activities equals commitment, but do we really need everyone feeling like they have to be isolating themselves into long 12+ hr bashing marathons and missing out on everything else?

Maybe I just don't get it but it feels like we've spiraled into some insane arms race with all these bashing enhancements.
    CzciennBulrokGavramelLinIllikaalTetchtaIesidAramaeusSarita
  • I bought one spear to cheese the elemental vortex and still haven't gotten a single fish from it, ah well
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    If someone is looking into cooldowns on artifacts, perhaps put something in that resets the timer on artifacts to when they leave the owner's inventory, rather than something random? It would be ni e to be able to say: hey, you want to know what arties can so to help? You've got these for exacly one hour. Good luck!" Instead of having one of said items instantly pop back into your hands before they get a chance to test it out

GavramelRhine
  • Validan said:

I wanted to refrain from chiming in, but seeing as more and more recent changes seem to catch themselves in my path. There really isn't a value of credits you can refund on the hunters tools, that would ease the sting on refunding 'multiple' items. Let alone when you spend hundreds on crowbars/relic crates/credits to buy the pieces from others. I'll use the example here of having 21 of these sets. Instead of poking everyone in the eye, I might propose adding stipulations/work arounds to how they work such as flagging certain exploited areas as being un-knifeable. I won't do a laundry list of quest areas, but you get the idea behind this. (going with the don't punish the masses for the few theory here)

As of now, the tool sets have kept hunting alive with the abundance of players bashing, while I known a decision hasn't been made - I will say I am concerned as bashing is probably my primary entertainment as of late.

Ngl, 21 sets seems pretty excessive. Do you use all 21 of them every howling? Also, with the addition of the new areas, I've personally felt that there's plenty to bash even with 2 other 200 grinders + other casuals bashing them out.

Anyway, if gold generation was the issue on knives, I suppose you could just remove the gold drops if a person is knifing a desirable area for it. But that might create weird scenarios where someone is going to bash the area for gold, and is bashing knifed mobs. Idk.
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
    edited January 2021
    I was laying in bed thinking about this and could someone explain "excessive" gold generation to me? And is nuking the knife/spear the actual solution? As someone without knives and who doesn't fish (because I don't like making only 5k gold an hour), arguably "just an average joe," I really don't see prices being too out of control for things? I generally can afford most things pretty easily. What is the downside of too much gold floating around if it's not negatively impacting anybody? There's limited stuff to buy, and the credit milestones dropped the credit sell price by ~17%, so I'm not seeing too much of a downside for supposedly out-of-control gold generation, unless there's something I'm missing.

Also kinda seems like maybe there could just be more gold sinks put into the game.

• Illidan said:
    I wanted to refrain from chiming in, but seeing as more and more recent changes seem to catch themselves in my path. There really isn't a value of credits you can refund on the hunters tools, that would ease the sting on refunding 'multiple' items. Let alone when you spend hundreds on crowbars/relic crates/credits to buy the pieces from others. I'll use the example here of having 21 of these sets. Instead of poking everyone in the eye, I might propose adding stipulations/work arounds to how they work such as flagging certain exploited areas as being un-knifeable. I won't do a laundry list of quest areas, but you get the idea behind this. (going with the don't punish the masses for the few theory here) As of now, the tool sets have kept hunting alive with the abundance of players bashing, while I known a decision hasn't been made - I will say I am concerned as bashing is probably my primary entertainment as of late. Just asking - please stop and think hard on these before acting hastily.
    Ngl, 21 sets seems pretty excessive. Do you use all 21 of them every howling? Also, with the addition of the new areas, I've personally felt that there's plenty to bash even with 2 other 200 grinders + other casuals bashing them out. Anyway, if gold generation was the issue on knives, I suppose you could just remove the gold drops if a person is knifing a desirable area for it. But that might create weird scenarios where someone is going to bash the area for gold, and is bashing knifed mobs. Idk.
    I can, and will burn through them and as for the "plenty to bash" part - that's because the "excessive"ness allows y'all to live on Tcanna with me ๐Ÿ˜‰
    RhyotMoxieTetchtaIllikaal
  • IllikaalIllikaal Pray Area
    edited January 2021
    Validan said:

Illidan said:

Validan said:

I wanted to refrain from chiming in, but seeing as more and more recent changes seem to catch themselves in my path. There really isn't a value of credits you can refund on the hunters tools, that would ease the sting on refunding 'multiple' items. Let alone when you spend hundreds on crowbars/relic crates/credits to buy the pieces from others. I'll use the example here of having 21 of these sets. Instead of poking everyone in the eye, I might propose adding stipulations/work arounds to how they work such as flagging certain exploited areas as being un-knifeable. I won't do a laundry list of quest areas, but you get the idea behind this. (going with the don't punish the masses for the few theory here)

Ngl, 21 sets seems pretty excessive. Do you use all 21 of them every howling? Also, with the addition of the new areas, I've personally felt that there's plenty to bash even with 2 other 200 grinders + other casuals bashing them out.

Anyway, if gold generation was the issue on knives, I suppose you could just remove the gold drops if a person is knifing a desirable area for it. But that might create weird scenarios where someone is going to bash the area for gold, and is bashing knifed mobs. Idk.

I can, and will burn through them and as for the "plenty to bash" part - that's because the "excessive"ness allows y'all to live on Tcanna with me ๐Ÿ˜‰

I've been bashing Tcanna for a minimum of 10 hours a day, every day, for the past 30 days, and have seen you perhaps a handful of times. I certainly see Borminchia and Czcibor there far more often, so I don't think that's entirely accurate.

It also takes about an hour and 15 mins or so to bash the entire island solo, fully amped on chocolates and maxed out on artifacts. You can't reasonably be using all 21 knives within a 24 hour period expressly for the purposes of bashing on a regular basis.
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
  • edited January 2021
    Quote:
    "I can, and will burn through them and as for the "plenty to bash" part - that's because the "excessive"ness allows y'all to live on Tcanna with me ๐Ÿ˜‰

I've been bashing Tcanna for a minimum of 10 hours a day, every day, for the past 30 days, and have seen you perhaps a handful of times. I certainly see Borminchia and Czcibor there far more often, so I don't think that's entirely accurate.

It also takes about an hour and 15 mins or so to bash the entire island solo, fully amped on chocolates and maxed out on artifacts. You can't reasonably be using all 21 knives within a 24 hour period expressly for the purposes of bashing on a regular basis." -- End quote
    (I guess i suck at quotes too)

Not true. I can do Tcanna in 40 minutes flat. Also, 80% of the time, if you are bashing on Tcanna and another person is there, it is because someone just knifed it. Unless you are bashing some weird time zone. I can't speak for Czcibor, but Borminchia regularly receives knifes from most of shadow side since they have almost none. Which means it is knifed a good 12 hours a day.
    ValidanRhyot
  • Illidan said:
    Illidan said:
    I wanted to refrain from chiming in, but seeing as more and more recent changes seem to catch themselves in my path. There really isn't a value of credits you can refund on the hunters tools, that would ease the sting on refunding 'multiple' items. Let alone when you spend hundreds on crowbars/relic crates/credits to buy the pieces from others. I'll use the example here of having 21 of these sets. Instead of poking everyone in the eye, I might propose adding stipulations/work arounds to how they work such as flagging certain exploited areas as being un-knifeable. I won't do a laundry list of quest areas, but you get the idea behind this. (going with the don't punish the masses for the few theory here) As of now, the tool sets have kept hunting alive with the abundance of players bashing, while I known a decision hasn't been made - I will say I am concerned as bashing is probably my primary entertainment as of late. Just asking - please stop and think hard on these before acting hastily.
    Ngl, 21 sets seems pretty excessive. Do you use all 21 of them every howling? Also, with the addition of the new areas, I've personally felt that there's plenty to bash even with 2 other 200 grinders + other casuals bashing them out. Anyway, if gold generation was the issue on knives, I suppose you could just remove the gold drops if a person is knifing a desirable area for it. But that might create weird scenarios where someone is going to bash the area for gold, and is bashing knifed mobs. Idk.
    I've been bashing Tcanna for a minimum of 10 hours a day, every day, for the past 30 days, and have seen you perhaps a handful of times. I certainly see Borminchia and Czcibor there far more often, so I don't think that's entirely accurate. It also takes about an hour and 15 mins or so to bash the entire island solo, fully amped on chocolates and maxed out on artifacts. You can't reasonably be using all 21 knives within a 24 hour period expressly for the purposes of bashing on a regular basis.
    I never said I used all 21 on Tcanna, but when you call it "excessive" when you either borrow others or ride off others knives, the point is null and void. 40 mins solo is more ideally for bashing there, especially on full buffs. But it's never solo there, the moment anyone knifes it's, the gathering begins. While some of us don't have the time of day to bash for 10 hours straight, we do find other methods to condense our hunting time. Either way, the NUMBER itself is meant to prove that there are those with a pile of these that don't exploit or produce massive amounts of gold. If they weren't meant to be had in quantities they wouldn't have readily been available in the form of promotion crowbars/crates. Just my two cents.
    RhyotDrystin
    edited January 2021
    Mazzion said:

Quote:
    "I can, and will burn through them and as for the "plenty to bash" part - that's because the "excessive"ness allows y'all to live on Tcanna with me ๐Ÿ˜‰

It also takes about an hour and 15 mins or so to bash the entire island solo, fully amped on chocolates and maxed out on artifacts. You can't reasonably be using all 21 knives within a 24 hour period expressly for the purposes of bashing on a regular basis." -- End quote
    (I guess i suck at quotes too)

Not true. I can do Tcanna in 40 minutes flat. Also, 80% of the time, if you are bashing on Tcanna and another person is there, it is because someone just knifed it. Unless you are bashing some weird time zone. I can't speak for Czcibor, but Borminchia regularly receives knifes from most of shadow side since they have almost none. Which means it is knifed a good 12 hours a day.

I've been bashing about 9 knives a day myself. And an hour 15 is probably on the higher end, but i've done as fast as 50 minutes before. I suppose it just depends. I circle the island twice for each level because the mobs move around so much. Also if I had 21 knife sets, using them every day, I'd be insanely rich and level 200 by now.

Edit: Just timed it. 56 mintes to circle the whole Island, and keep in mind since you bashed to 200 crits got nerfed.
    edited January 2021
    Validan said:

Illidan said:

Validan said:

Illidan said:

Validan said:

It also takes about an hour and 15 mins or so to bash the entire island solo, fully amped on chocolates and maxed out on artifacts. You can't reasonably be using all 21 knives within a 24 hour period expressly for the purposes of bashing on a regular basis.

I never said I used all 21 on Tcanna, but when you call it "excessive" when you either borrow others or ride off others knives, the point is null and void. 40 mins solo is more ideally for bashing there, especially on full buffs. But it's never solo there, the moment anyone knifes it's, the gathering begins. While some of us don't have the time of day to bash for 10 hours straight, we do find other methods to condense our hunting time. Either way, the NUMBER itself is meant to prove that there are those with a pile of these that don't exploit or produce massive amounts of gold. If they weren't meant to be had in quantities they wouldn't have readily been available in the form of promotion crowbars/crates. Just my two cents.

If you're not using on Tcanna, then presumably you're using them elsewhere that's generating extra gold, which was sort of the point brought up in the initial post.
  • Illidan said:
    Illidan said:
    Illidan said:
    I've been bashing Tcanna for a minimum of 10 hours a day, every day, for the past 30 days, and have seen you perhaps a handful of times. I certainly see Borminchia and Czcibor there far more often, so I don't think that's entirely accurate. It also takes about an hour and 15 mins or so to bash the entire island solo, fully amped on chocolates and maxed out on artifacts. You can't reasonably be using all 21 knives within a 24 hour period expressly for the purposes of bashing on a regular basis.
    If you're not using on Tcanna, then presumably you're using them elsewhere that's generating extra gold, which was sort of the point brought up in the initial post.
    Keep pedaling, you lost your footing already. But we can always linger on what it means to assume. Milestones, Bashing, and more bashing. Nonetheless, what works for me doesn't work for you, or it does seeing as WE seem to bash off the same excessiveness ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Illikaal
  • It really seems like knives, in all their excessive quantities, are just part of the endgame bashing ecosystem, one way or another.

Also, unlike fishing (I assume), bashing has gold sinks attached in the form of commodity costs for curatives. If the two are out of whack and gold is still flowing too freely, maybe attach a gold sink to multiple knives? It could cost 1k gold for each knife you have on cool down, for example.
    Didi has expressed her esteem of you for the following reason: Smart organized leader.
    Tetchta
  • Validan said:

Keep pedaling, you lost your footing already. But we can always linger on what it means to assume. Milestones, Bashing, and more bashing. Nonetheless, what works for me doesn't work for you, or it does seeing as WE seem to bash off the same excessiveness ๐Ÿ˜‰
    It's pretty clear who uses knives for bashing, and who doesn't. Let alone 21 of them. I'll leave it at that.
    Validan
    edited January 2021
    Seurimas said:

It really seems like knives, in all their excessive quantities, are just part of the endgame bashing ecosystem, one way or another.

Also, unlike fishing (I assume), bashing has gold sinks attached in the form of commodity costs for curatives. If the two are out of whack and gold is still flowing too freely, maybe attach a gold sink to multiple knives? It could cost 1k gold for each knife you have on cool down, for example.
    Not trying to disagree here, but those aren't true gold sinks. A gold sink pulls gold out of the game, not merely into other players' pockets. Also speaking from experience I can say that curative purchasing is only a tax on bashing earnings, and a small one at that (especially if you're a whale). I'm not sure what a gold sink could be (being able to buy bloody iron coins or bound credits???? Keystones?)

I think those prizebags were meant to be a gold sink but most of us get massive sticker shock with them and so avoid them entirely.

Edit: I'm sleepy so I skipped the costing gold per knife use thing. Not a bad idea, although kinda weird haha

• edited January 2021
    Tetchta said:

Not trying to disagree here, but those aren't true gold sinks. A gold sink pulls gold out of the game, not merely into other players' pockets.

Well, most of the gold moves between players, but some of it goes towards gold/silver/ice/ash. Mostly gold/silver for elixirs, since ice/ash aren't really necessary for pills any more. At least, I assume the village commodity shops represent sinks in that way. If there's another source, that blows that away entirely. I can definitely see how that's just pennies on the dollar, though.
    Tetchta
  • edited January 2021
    I have never knifed anything. Feel like I'm seriously missing out now. :(

And yeah, fully chocolated Tcanna around 40 minutes for me.

As for gold sinks I know Illidan spams transmuted wisdom which is 25k a pop. I've bought some prizebags in the past for the off chance at compendium pages but I've decided it's not worth it. Curatives are extremely minor in the grand scheme of things.

I'd still like to know what constitutes "absurd" gold generation.
    SeurimasGavramel