PSA: Divine Attention

Hello forums people!

So we were chatting on the discord about this particular topic, and a few of us decided this would be a useful guide for interacting with your most (and least) loved gods when RPing in Aetolia.

When you can see a God's name on BW/QW/WHO, it is an open invitation - if you see a big, colourful display announcing their presence, this is the equivalent of "Please pay attention to me". Typically, if we are working on important, non-RP-related things, we will not be our gods. We are logged in as our Celani unless we are actively doing god-related things.

Do:
- speak up if your character is inclined to
- be creative with it
- say something even if you're on 'the other side' - sometimes our conversations with people we wouldn't accept as followers are equally as interesting as anything else
- be reasonably disruptive - we enjoy creative deaths/punishments within reason, and we do discuss with each other if we think we might overreact or make it unfun
- use our names in SAY or TELL or EMOTE if you want our attention.
- use THINK liberally in the room
- interact with our Congregations and Orders, even if you don't want to join - we do, by default, pay more attention to them because they've made it clear they seek some kind of interaction

Don't:
- get upset if we don't answer immediately. Sometimes there might be lore implications you don't know about (that we didn't know about either, sometimes), or we might be talking to someone else, or we might just be Mysteriously Godly Personages Who Are Too Important To Think About Stuff Like Time
- troll endlessly. We really do enjoy all kinds of interactions, but do it in good faith
- feel like you're taking up our time. If we're too busy for mortal interaction, we won't be visible in the first place

There are no guarantees with divine interaction. You may strike out on what you were looking for - for all that our gods are mind-readers, we are not. If you're looking for more/different, tell us, THINK at us, let us know. You may form a lasting relationship, you may find other unexpected rewards (even for eating an entire rotting whale!).

And a slightly selfish request from us: if you enjoyed your interaction, please don't be shy about using ESTEEM. The Pools see when other volunteers get esteemed, and we really love seeing it when our friends are getting feedback, and enjoy getting it ourselves obviously. We don't get anything out of it except a nice feeling, and sometimes that nice feeling is the only thing we can take away from another day of less-than-pleasant attitudes aimed at us.

Players, please feel free to carry on this thread with any tips or ideas for others you'd like to share - things that have worked for you, unexpected perks to interaction, so on.
She/her but also responds to they/them thanks to chilling as Somebody or other.

If in doubt, please refer to the Forum Rules! If in more doubt, please reach out to a moderator.

Act as you would wish to be treated.

"It costs you nothing to assume that we are acting in good faith."
BraxSryaenNisaviStineSaidennRihrinEphiValeriaTetchtaTaiyangQelresRebraGavramelLinHaelraRijettaSaritaAlmolRaahSaltzAramaeusEorosTeotlKatieBenedictoAloliGuiseppe

Comments

• What if I kill a bunch of ducks?
    Benedicto
  • Nisavi said:

What if I kill a bunch of ducks?

There might be a rumour going around the Pools that Slyphe is carrying around a particular duck bill in hopes of reusing it.

If in doubt, please refer to the Forum Rules! If in more doubt, please reach out to a moderator.

• Zeheia said:

Nisavi said:

What if I kill a bunch of ducks?

There might be a rumour going around the Pools that Slyphe is carrying around a particular duck bill in hopes of reusing it.
    >:[
    ZeheiaTetchtaTeaniAramaeus
  • RhyotRhyot Bloodloch
    edited December 2020
    So you're saying if I want to shout about the gods being puppets and that they're cowards, I should do it??

You know... cause I play a heathen

• Rhyot said:

So you're saying if I want to shout about the gods being puppets and that they're cowards, I should do it??

As long as you acknowledge that IC actions have IC consequences, like gods proving that they will squish you for it if you're sufficiently worth paying attention to in that moment, sure.

RhyotTaiyangVisix
  • RhyotRhyot Bloodloch
    I completely acknowledge that!!! LOL :D

Haern sent his dogs after me for 2 weeks (that was hilarious)! Slyphe threw me into his shark waters! Chakrasul zapped me! Iosyne melted me!! Dhar smacked me with a hammer for unconscious/stun/blackout for 5 minutes straight. I remember some god truelocking me and leaving me in blackout and left me there until someone killed me with voyria.

• TetchtaTetchta The Innocent
    Rhyot said:

someone's tryna throw us off the Damariel scenet--WE'RE ONTO YOU RHYOT

• Rhyot said:

I completely acknowledge that!!! LOL :D

Haern sent his dogs after me for 2 weeks (that was hilarious)! Slyphe threw me into his shark waters! Chakrasul zapped me! Iosyne melted me!! Dhar smacked me with a hammer for unconscious/stun/blackout for 5 minutes straight. I remember some god truelocking me and leaving me in blackout and left me there until someone killed me with voyria.

We really do have fun with stuff like this, as long as it remains within reason. Players are the reward, not the chore. Everybody needs to be having fun.

Even with death.

Almol
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    I can speak only for myself, but I'll try to be better about it. I like to think I'm a very outgoing roleplayer, but something about the mystique and special qualities of a god makes me see their name on WHO and go "ooh, I shouldn't bug them over silly stuff."

Thank you for the PSA! I think it'll make a lot of us feel better about how we approach you guys.
    TetchtaAramaeusSekeresGalileiKatieBenedicto
  • In my short time back, I’ve found that making your desire to interact known and being patient works well. I also learned the hard way not to shout bad words, but now Omei is my best cross-tether friend

Sekeres
  • I've had brief interactions with Slyphe and Ivoln (mean trick getting me to dance to get eaten!), and lengthy RP with Omei, all quite lovely. I really appreciate the thought that goes into that writing and I am always greedy for more... but I suppose I can share.

I really encourage you all to give the Divine a try (within what makes sense for your character of course!)

Thanks for the tips <3
    AramaeusZeheia
  • Many, many years ago I started a thing where I told people "If you say Slyphes name 3 times while looking into water bad things happen. So many died. until Slyphe said it's time to stop now. Good times.
    From my experience, if you are a good sport about things, the gods will be too! Just need to be patient.
    ZeheiaCallidoraEorosTetchta
  • TetchtaTetchta The Innocent
    I actually love the idea of doing a "Bloody Mary" style thing for Gods lmao.

TirriaXenia
  • Can you guys use your divine attention to delete all of bamathis inbox without reading it incase someone ever takes the character over thanks ty.

AlmolMjollBenedictoAloliZeheia
  • BenedictoBenedicto Tentacles Errywhere!
    edited February 2021