Newbie Q&A

Comments

• TekiasTekias Wisconsin
    Nah, they shouldn't. You might expect to wait a fair (or unfair) while before you get anything back on them, but they won't be annoyed. Probably thankful for you pointing them out
    Formerly: Spiegel. Eidycue.

Hi.

Tallus
  • TiurTiur Producer
    Not at all. Just don't be bothered if the responses back keep getting shorter, as they're plowing through them.

Thanks, all fixed!
    Thanks
    fixed
    w/e
    AloliRhineTallusZailaMephistolesNarheon
  • Tallus said:

So... weird question from a returning player (I haven't played since high school). Are the staff/volunteers going to get annoyed at me for submitting too many typo reports? I think I put in about half a dozen today and I swear, I can stop if it's annoying!

HELP HELPEDIT

I try to edit scrolls when I see them, rather than typo reporting.
  • Escelika said:

HELP HELPEDIT

I try to edit scrolls when I see them, rather than typo reporting.

Most of the ones I've seen so far have been typos in mob and item description, but I'll keep this in mind if I see any help files that need updating.

Escelika
  • edited November 2020
    Hi guys, old player here. It's been awhile. It looks like player counts are up from what I had last checked which is good. Lifestyle changes, for obvious reasons, have me wondering if I don't want to start playing these games again.

A few questions I have:
    1) What's the general state of PvP, how often do people do it, do you need a system, how does firstaid work?
    2) How's the Lycanthrope class going?
    3) Did the war system ever make it back in?
    4) What would you say to someone who hasn't played in five or six years?
  • Drayn said:

Hi guys, old player here. It's been awhile. It looks like player counts are up from what I had last checked which is good. Lifestyle changes, for obvious reasons, have me wondering if I don't want to start playing these games again.

A few questions I have:
    1) What's the general state of PvP, how often do people do it, do you need a system, how does firstaid work?
    3) Did the war system ever make it back in?
    4) What would you say to someone who hasn't played in five or six years?

1) Group PvP is alive and well with foci and orrery. Solo PvP is mostly practiced in Sect, however, so it is alive in its way. You can get by on firstaid for groups, but you'd want a system for 1v1. There is the freely offered system Sunder, which many use as a way to get started.
    2) Lycans are a solid class that can PvP in groups or solo competitively, but to what extent depends on the Lycanthrope you choose. Others can provide more indepth than me as to their pros and cons. They are considered fairly squish for PvE, so not often seen as a preferred bashing class, but you can get by.
    3) War system is a no-go. Wars are now just fought with angry posts, throwing sticks, and then tea and a nap in the garden by noon.
    4) Make a few characters and feel out the different groups of people to get a sense for the roleplay environment and if the aesthetic vibes for you. Play a little with classes when you do find one that you like. You can REPICK CLASS as a newbie, so use that to your advantage. Get involved with whichever group you decide run with. People are EAGER AND READY to help you out, so don't be afraid to jump in.
  • edited November 2020
    What's sect? (Edit: Read the help file, it's like a clan of people who like to duel?)

How about the bears? I like the bears, although wolves are also kind of cool.

Does the war system exist and just isn't used for some reason, or is it not in? And why are people doing group PvP if there's no war system?
  • So foci generate a resource called ylem that is used in research. HELP RESEARCH or AB RESEARCH if you have a character in any city. Basically, cities and citizens get a bunch of abilities and toys to use and have access to for gathering ylem. Lesser foci and Major foci produce a lot more ylem than Minor foci or mines or eld, so people fight over them to gather the ylem. Thankfully, the hostile aura you get at any foci (even minors) prevents XP loss on death, so it is a no-risk way to participate in group PvP.

People are bears, still. I cannot compare their viability in PvP as I do not use Lycanthrope to PvP so someone else would have to answer that one, sadly.

War sort of exists but doesn't. It is still in partway with the War ministry and Militia and that, but I believe the War system - troop movements, that kind of thing - was turned off a while ago and will not be returned in the foreseeable future. To take its place, we got the foci battles and orrery.

Orrery, to add an addendum, is a fun system every few weeks that lets Spirit and Shadow fight over bonuses, like extra sip, extra gold from NPCs, higher stats at different times of day, worth looking over in HELP ORRERY. Now you DO lose xp if you die at Orrery, but risks vs rewards in that regard.
  • Ok, what are you guy's thoughts on Ascendril as a class? I've been reading class skills. Some appear to be as I remembered more or less, others look completely different. Some look really complicated and I'm not sure if I want to go there even though I'm going to be playing again at least a bit.
  • OK so another question, did they get rid of the bloodborn class? I thought they were pretty cool with the rituals and stuff.
  • The bloodborn class was rolled into the main vampire class, Praenomen. Praenomen has 3 specializations available to it, and the Rituos specialization, is /very/ similar to the Bloodborn class in terms of mechanics and end game goal for PvP.

Rituals still exist, but they're are not as many nor are they a staple mechanic of the class. They're more for RP/Flavor.
    Copperhead of the Third Spoke says to you, "Intelligence matrix in moniker Bulrok reveals above average results when compared alongside proximal presence."
    Drayne
  • Are artifact mounts still a thing, other than pets? I recall that they were at one point but I'm not seeing them for sale anywhere.
  • You can find them in different places that sell mounts. Duiran has a giant wolf, Spinesreach has... something. They are scattered about for people to find at different stables.
    Drayne
  • Saidenn said:

You can find them in different places that sell mounts. Duiran has a giant wolf, Spinesreach has... something. They are scattered about for people to find at different stables.

I see, the reason I asked is that Enorian (city I'm in) has no credit mounts for sale! But I do see some in Spinesreach. Did someone forget to load up Enorian's or something?
  • Are you sure you checked Enorian's main stables? There are a couple stashed around there, I think! Eno should have a pegassus? Maybe? If my memory from 10 years ago hasn't completely failed.
    Toz says, "Dishonor on you (Mjoll), dishonor on your family (Seirath), dishonor on your cow (Bulrok)"
  • Is there still a way to attack yourself? That always made figuring out offensive combos infinitely easier.
  • Mjoll said:
    Are you sure you checked Enorian's main stables? There are a couple stashed around there, I think! Eno should have a pegassus? Maybe? If my memory from 10 years ago hasn't completely failed.
    Pegasus and whatever the other one weren’t in their stables!
  • Also, anyone want to explain this farming and mining stuff to me? Thanks!
  • ZeheiaZeheia Immortal
    edited November 2020
    Mjoll said:

Are you sure you checked Enorian's main stables? There are a couple stashed around there, I think! Eno should have a pegassus? Maybe? If my memory from 10 years ago hasn't completely failed.

Enorian's main stables have no interesting credit mounts for sale.

Edit: Have verified that Enorian is just the odd weirdo out here with no credit beasties. Everyone else has two! I'm on the case. ;)

Edit again: Tigers and pegasi may now be purchased again in Enorian. Rejoice! Spend all your credits! Hurrah!
    She/her but also responds to they/them thanks to chilling as Somebody or other.

If in doubt, please refer to the Forum Rules! If in more doubt, please reach out to a moderator.

Act as you would wish to be treated.

"It costs you nothing to assume that we are acting in good faith."
    MjollTetchtaDrayneDrystin
  • TetchtaTetchta The Innocent
    Zeheia said:

Edit again: Tigers and pegasi may now be purchased again in Enorian. Rejoice! Spend all your credits! Hurrah!

Drayne
  • ZeheiaZeheia Immortal
    edited November 2020
    In related news, they couldn't buy camels (for gold) in Enorian either. Also fixed. Enorian was just all kinds of left out for beasties.
    She/her but also responds to they/them thanks to chilling as Somebody or other.

If in doubt, please refer to the Forum Rules! If in more doubt, please reach out to a moderator.

Act as you would wish to be treated.

"It costs you nothing to assume that we are acting in good faith."
  • The classic camel, from when Enorian was Shallam and still had leftover desert themes :D
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    Drayne said:

Hi guys, old player here. It's been awhile.

Drayne said:

How about the bears? I like the bears, although wolves are also kind of cool.

Hi! First of all, welcome back to the game!

I am one of the players out there who has mostly focused on Shapeshifter. There are more types in the game now than there used to be. Naturally wolves and bears still exist; my character is a wolf from the former Atabahi Rout (before those guilds were removed). However, there are also wereboars (bacon), wereravens (chicken), and werecrocodiles (crocs)! (just kidding about the nicknames <.<).

Shapeshifters are viable in combat. They are fantastic in group, and if you put some effort in, and know how to code, you are likely to make a better offensive system than what I have for 1v1. I am not a top tier fighter by any means, but Shifter is sort of the one class I actually know well enough to have built my own semi-manual system for. Some of the new shapes have alternative routes to use for kills that I am not quite familiar with. As for PVE, Shifters are squishy. I have boosted myself with artifacts, so I do alright, but without them, I struggle to bash some high level areas even though I am well into endgame. Still, that might be my lack of interest in optimizing things.

I don't have much time to play these days, but hit me up with a message in game if you have more questions!

Drayne
  • Okay so, I have about 4,000 credits from retirement stuff. My character is an Ascendril. What artifacts should I buy?

My first guess is critical hits (level 2), bashing (level 2), fast EQ, damage boost (level 2), healing ring (level 2?). Rest would go into skills. But is there any reason to get different stuff?
  • edited November 2020
    @Drayne

I wouldn't get critical hits or hunting until you have at least enhancement level 2 and maybe constitution.

Enhancement is probably the best bang for your buck artifact in the game. Other good contenders include:

- artifact shield
    - soul_anchor (if you ever do lessers or die in pve. For the cost it's hard to beat)
    - permanent tree tattoo (Having your tree fade while hunting certain areas or, mostly, in pvp is the worst)
    - stability (pvp only)
    - arti pipes (mostly a pvp thing also)

edit: to expand, I wouldn't get crits or hunting because there's no point in having those if you can't survive high-end areas to begin with. Crits do provide some survivability in that you'll be killing faster and also through the vigor elixir, but I don't think it compares to having raw survivability, even as ascendril. Work on your tank before your spank is my advice.

edit2: it's possible con level 2 will be a better buy than sip level 2, but I haven't really done the math. Someone more experienced would have to chime in.
    Drayne
  • Protection Amulet and Artifact Shield are the two best investments that any Mage can make, since you do not wear armor and it's fairly painful malus to have. That being said, once you get those (or even just one), it makes a world of difference.
    DrayneTeani
  • edited November 2020
    I see, those are good points, thanks!

Since we have multi classing these days, I was also thinking of getting Zealot, mostly for bashing, assuming it’s better than Mage? Back when I last played they still had three-hit combos and discharge, although now they may have two-hit combos? And I don’t know how much the discharge helps.
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    @Drayne, protection amulet will also help you as a Shapeshifter!

Drayne
  • Teani said:

@Drayne, protection amulet will also help you as a Shapeshifter!

I liked the movie "Howl's Moving Castle" so at some point I might multiclass Ascendril and wereraven :)
  • Another question, is there a line spacer for queueing in survival? One that would let you do multiple actions through the queue.