Announce post #3143: Cursed Event

11/25/2020 at 0:54
Tiur, the Gnosis
Everyone
Cursed Event

The Cursed Event will come to a close around Howling tomorrow. That is to say, roughly 00:00 GMT the 26th. 23ish hours from this post.

Unfortunately, due to a large volume of complaints sent in to both myself, and corporate IRE, we have been told we need to wrap up the event ASAP. During tomorrow's events (sometime in 12 hours or so, to start), all Cursed will find they now have access to a CURSE DELIVER command which will transfer your accumulated curse power to the boss, and decide how powerful he will be upon being raised. This will be a one time fight, so I apologize to those that cannot make it. Themed rewards will be given to everyone who has logged in during the event, based upon whether cursed, avoided, delivered, or cured.

Our original intent was to give a nuanced, battle of Cursed v Non-Cursed on the raising of the villain, with an instance and prizes via a currency generated by trying/failing/succeeding. The damage done with each person working on this boss would be tallied and decide the outcome of the event, like a Raid boss, so that the villain's death would not be pre-scripted. It involved a few new mechanics, some rewriting of the old Thrim AI system, etc. This has all been scrapped. If you were waiting on the excavation of the tomb, this too is scrapped.

To those who were enjoying the buildup, I apologize especially. Building this event was wonderful fun for everyone involved, and it was personally a delight to change my plans based on what was most fun. Your decisions made the Tomb a curse hotspot, the Midnight curse was based on player interactions, etc.

We will have a thread on the forum afterwards to discuss our favorite parts of the events. Every emote has been logged, and we'd really like to share with you how clever and awesome this has been to watch. If you would prefer we not share your emotes, please message me and I'll take you off the Greatest Hits list. I may, if time allows, provide a timeline with how the Curse jumped, and who was tricksy as all get-out.

-T

PS We do intend to recycle the work done on this for some future content instead. 1300 lines + 600 for the boss makes this event bigger than some old school classes!

Penned by my hand on Gosday, the 14th of Slyphian, in the year 491 MA.
TaiyangValorieAzarae

Comments

• TetchtaTetchta The Innocent
    edited November 2020
    That's an uncharitable and reductive take, Nisa, and you're essentially falling for the "the complainers ruined your fun" narrative that was baked into this post when it didn't have to be.

NisaviSaritaBulrokLinKelaarianValeriaSaidennRhineGavramelTeani
  • edited November 2020
    Tetchta said:

That's an uncharitable and reductive take, Nisa, and you're essentially falling for the "the complainers ruined your fun" narrative that was baked into this post when it didn't have to be.

It's not, because it's generally true across IRE but exceptionally true in Aetolia and that is me being as objective as I can regarding this whole affair. My participation in this event was bashing and tapping maybe two people with the curse when asked. I came in really late on it otherwise and really just wanted to spend my time bashing and RP'ing as it happened. I had some minor gripes as to how my character got cursed because one of the cursemotes was not stellar, but it was a minor complaint overall as I would've likely gotten cursed in the long run.

My complaint is that, with any global event, there seems to always be a loud subset of individuals who will rant and complain to the Pools and IRE leadership if it doesn't meet with their expectations or disturbs their "bubble" (or how they see their character). Frankly, I don't know how they can hold them without irritating or bothering people. Yes, there were legitimate things to complain about with the event being run and certain things being enforced, but did any of it really meet the need to directly contact Jeromy? I don't possibly see how, and that is perhaps anecdotal, but I really don't. Not to mention, it collectively got it shut down for everyone, including those that were enjoying it and partaking in it. Opting out was literally an option for people, so I'm open to ideas on what the Pools could've done to help people that didn't want to participate.
    TetchtaSaidennDrystinGavramelBulrokAyukazi
  • edited November 2020
    I'm going to state that the Aalen Bloom event, which was similar in nature, had some similar issues -- but while it was a pretty catastrophic event in terms of impact on Sapience, it was also one of the absolute most memorable for me due to the Bloom's significance to my old character, but also some of the quarantine RP I had with people. It's worth noting that the large impact events are the ones that people tend to remember, especially when there are actual consequences. It was the same with the old war system. Sure, it was a hassle and a 1-2 week long commitment of hellish proportions, but I also had some amazing RP in war downtime and it really galvanized organizations. People seem afraid of or angry with events that have any long-term consequences or threaten to shatter their bubble. I get the semblance of wanting to be in control of what happens to your character, but sometimes the best events come when control is momentarily wrested from you.
    Saidenn
    edited November 2020
    There were plenty of problems with this event that may not have impacted you or me (I generally liked the event), but that doesn't make them petty or unimportant. And without trying to be flippant or dramatic, emailing Jeremy is a better idea than emailing Tiur. Tiur is infamously slow to respond to literally any email. He even ousted someone from an OOC meeting for raising concerns about the RP of the event...at an OOC meeting meant to talk about concerns with the event.

I get feeling like that just because something wasn't problematic to you, your gut reaction is to go "screw those nitpickers!" But I really think our community as a whole needs to stop going at each other's throats so much and assuming the worst of each other all the time. You don't have to understand something for it to be valid, and it's time we start looking past our individual grievances with other players and consider, if there's so much acrimony, if there's so few events, and so little content, who is in charge of all of that?

I honestly think it was grossly irresponsible to throw people sending complaints to T and Corporate under the bus like this and making them the villains of the statement.

• SaritaSarita Empress of Bahir'an The Pillars of the Earth
    I only got involved in the last two or three days, so I'd be really interested in seeing that possible timeline. I'm also not sure how many of the mechanics you want to share/discuss if the system might be reused, but if we can get an overall breakdown of how the deliver/cure things would have worked, I'd love to see that too.
    NisaviSibattiGyanaSaidennRhineGavramel
  • Tetchta said:

There were plenty of problems with this event that may not have impacted you or me (I generally liked the event), but that doesn't make them petty or unimportant. And without trying to be flippant or dramatic, emailing Jeromy is a better idea than emailing Tiur. Tiur is infamously slow to respond to literally any email. He even ousted someone from an OOC meeting for raising concerns about the RP of the event...at an OOC meeting meant to talk about concerns with the event.

I get feeling like that just because something wasn't problematic to you, your gut reaction is to go "screw those nitpickers!" But I really think our community as a whole needs to stop going at each other's throats so much and assuming the worst of each other all the time. You don't have to understand something for it to be valid, and it's time we start looking past our individual grievances with other players and consider, if there's so much acrimony, if there's so few events, and so little content, who is in charge of all of that?

I honestly think it was grossly irresponsible to throw people sending complaints to T and Corporate under the bus like this and making them the villains of the statement.

People got removed from the event for dropping literal f-bombs on curse chat and generally being disruptive. If I was Tiur, I would've gone a step further with the people who were being overly silly or have had some kind of IC action from whoever was in the tomb to thwap them into behaving a bit more. You had people literally pleading with others to stop using the pointless nicknames that no one could understand, and people STILL kept using them because they were trolling behind a mask of anonymity. Any efforts to coordinate and take it seriously were generally met with silly responses and people using Curse chat as Web chat.

I'm not excusing the admin's response on things or lack thereof. I think there's criticism there, to be sure, but I have grown exceptionally weary as a whole with players that have literally complained about every single event when we've had one. I'm fairly sure if I asked Jeromy the last time that Aetolia had an event where he wasn't getting a complaint e-mail, he'd have to go back a few years. Seriously. It's excessive at this point.
    SaidennDrystinRhyot
  • @Tetchta I think it's grossly irresponsible for you to make me defend him, but hey whatever. There is 15+ years of proof that players did this, and speculation and hate towards Tiur saying he did it. Honestly, I'm willing to go as far as saying it was a mixture of both, but defending and enabling this communities piss poor attitude towards not always getting their way is going to do more damage than telling them, however aggressively or politely, to suck it up a little.
    Copperhead of the Third Spoke says to you, "Intelligence matrix in moniker Bulrok reveals above average results when compared alongside proximal presence."
    SaidennNisaviTetchtaHavenRhineRihrinRhyotIllikaal
  • SibattiSibatti Mamba dur Naya Amidst vibrant flora and trees
    @Nisavi I totally agree with you about the bloom, but this event kept being touted as "you're going to forget everything! there's zero impact!" so I don't think it quite lands the same.
    StineIesidTetchta
    I don't hate Tiur, @Bulrok, I'm giving my perspective on things. Take like a dozen chill pills.

• @Tetchta I'm not going to nit pick words or perceived feelings. Ignoring /15/ years of players (myself included, in case anyone thinks I'm trying to take the high road) complaining about /everything/ and saying they're not just as responsible as whoever ran this event is absolutely mind blowing.
    Copperhead of the Third Spoke says to you, "Intelligence matrix in moniker Bulrok reveals above average results when compared alongside proximal presence."
    RhyotIllikaal
    edited November 2020
    Man I dunno, I work in the content creation field and complaints from viewers and audiences are just a fact of life. Sometimes they're petty, sometimes they're things you don't understand, and sometimes you end up, through sheer volume, having your perspective changed. Complaints are a fact of life in this business, and if player complaints are so stressful that it leads to us not getting events in the future, that's a problem with leadership, not the playerbase. Feedback is kind of vital in storytelling and gaming, and I'm never going to get behind the idea that we should be discouraging people from voicing their good faith opinions, and I'm DEFINITELY opposed to giving the current administration more greenlights to dismiss and stonewall players. This has nothing to do with hatred for Tiur, which I have none. This announcement was phrased poorly, and you guys getting rabid about it and angry at the community was pretty much the only reason to include the lines about complaints.

Xarian said:

I would never try to get people fired just because one part of an event didn't work great, wow.

Who tried to get whom fired?

• A question was asked about how to provide feedback to the Pools about stuff like this, an answer was given:

Insofar, given a Q&A was held just on Friday and either before or after corporate was emailed with complaints to the point that it felt it had to step in, seems like a fair amount of these suggestions were blatantly ignored. Not saying this to any one specific person.

As for the person being removed during the Q&A, this was a person who was already removed from the event for deciding to ignore some of the directives given for the event and possibly ruining for others who had yet to become involved then being pedantic and adversarial in their questions that were being answered.
    Nisavi
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    Some of those complaints had an agenda and were stretches of the truth in my opinion. That said I feel the overwhelming majority of players handled the content reasonably well.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    RhyotIllikaalDrystinAyukazi
  • There were problems with this event, but it had a fascinating concept and the volunteers/admin involved in any part of it deserve credit. The actual gameplay you designed was real fun; there were just some issues with what I'd describe as your "insurance policy" (the assurance that this event 'doesn't have any consequences, unless you want them' - see the point made by @Sibatti ) and the roleplay script just having a bit of a grey area that made people feel like they needed clarity about Curse RP... 'what if' or 'what's ok' were questions I was asking and being asked regularly.

I also accidentally opted out on Saturday and, for a few days, legit had no clue what to do about it aside from hang tight. I wish the opt out syntax had a confirm button; I'm told that bad actors who are abusing the button are why there was/is a difficult decision to be made about re-opting me in, which is a pity, but I understand it. I didn't miss Curse chat the past few days, I'll tell you that much. The problem here is at least in part sourced from the players. The one frustrating part about my accident was that it meant that certain conversations between my character and others just suddenly stopped existing or were put on indefinite hold - what do I do about that? What were we going to do about it in the first place? Navigating this aspect of the event has been unpleasant because some of us just make it more complicated for themselves and one another for no reason, usually without even meaning to.

Overall: sweet gameplay, awesome idea - the event just got too big too fast, perhaps. Some of the finer details just needed some tuning up so some of us did not feel so beholden to asking about how to interpret this roleplay prompt we were given. While I was doing the Curse stuff, I was having fun - I had considered opting out at first because of how meme-ridden Curse chat was and how I assessed the final leg of 'infection' would go, but decided to give it a shot anyways because I knew I wouldn't be getting any RP for the next week or so otherwise. I am very glad that I did.

My final piece of feedback: a lot of player-to-player, in room interaction shut down in Spirit tether after a certain point; the infected couldn't mingle around one another because it would draw suspicion to those playing the long con, and the survivors shacked up within impenetrable player housing in a bid to remain uncursed. That meant that late comers didn't have as much of an exciting time being Cursed - and the most effective way to avoid being Cursed was to pretty much not leave your home or shop stockroom for any reason whatsoever. The event eventually shifted gears from RP to not-so-RP over in our neck of the woods - we were passively roleplay via quarantine... with the care that twas put into responding during this event, I suspect some blame falls on us: we could have tried to seek out a method of cure rather than hunker down... I'm sure you guys would have rolled with that.
    CzciennNisaviSryaen
  • edited November 2020
    So I stand by my original post, but I think people do need to realise that there were some big problems with the event even if you could opt out. Aetolia is an escape for many people, and the fact that there was a way to opt out of the big event that they felt uncomfortable in taking part in doesn't make the parallels to what was going on any easier to ignore, even if we do accept that they were not intentional. Maybe because this was the one big event we've had in a while, most people bought into it in varying degrees, which meant that those who chose to opt out essentially opted out of the game entirely.

So yeah, while I'm not one to complain to corporate about things like this, I do hope people show some understanding for the difficult circumstances that some people found themselves in.
    XarianValorieHavenAxiusDrystin
  • Personally, I enjoyed the event. Thank you for trying, I’m sad to not see it play out fully.

My literal only complaint was sometimes the curse channel was annoying. 

NisaviRhyot
  • SibattiSibatti Mamba dur Naya Amidst vibrant flora and trees
    Iesid said:

My final piece of feedback: a lot of player-to-player, in room interaction shut down in Spirit tether after a certain point; the infected couldn't mingle around one another because it would draw suspicion to those playing the long con, and the survivors shacked up within impenetrable player housing in a bid to remain uncursed. That meant that late comers didn't have as much of an exciting time being Cursed - and the most effective way to avoid being Cursed was to pretty much not leave your home or shop stockroom for any reason whatsoever. The event eventually shifted gears from RP to not-so-RP over in our neck of the woods - we were passively roleplay via quarantine... with the care that twas put into responding during this event, I suspect some blame falls on us: we could have tried to seek out a method of cure rather than hunker down... I'm sure you guys would have rolled with that.

This is where I'm at in terms of my feelings on the event. For someone working hard to avoid the curse, going completely stealth mode was literally my only experience with this event, outside of reading updates on the news and long distance tell-RP with other people who were trying to figure things out (most notably Akary, Stine).

There were a few random mysterious voices exclaiming on CT who didn't really respond when pressed, so that - while a nice ambience - didn't provide any clues for how to engage further.

There were rumors of a tomb in the Mhojave, but it was surrounded constantly by known cursed people, so that wasn't on the table for Sib either.

The thing was, there wasn't really much else for me to do. If all of the cursed people were known to act erratically/untrustworthy, what good would it have done to engage with them, knowing that they're obviously unreliable?

I suppose I could have emoted into the void while I was standing around by myself?? I don't know.

I didn't have to be around anyone that I didn't want to be around for the entire duration, and I didn't even try that hard to be honest. Sib spent almost half of her time online in the Shaman guildhall working on guild stuff. It was still a very productive week for me, just very lonely and dull.
    ValorieStineLin
  • Brax said:

This is yet another case where it feels like no matter what it is we try to do, we just can't win.

I'm so sorry that you feel this way and I know it can be depressing. I hope the overwhelmingly positive likes that you've got en masse demonstrate that the bulk majority of us appreciated and liked it, aside in my case from a few minor nit-picky things with curse channel.

It was enjoyable, it was creative, and I hope you guys do more like it in the future. I've had relatives and close friends get COVID, and while this is anecdotal, I didn't really see the correlation between this event and COVID. I hope you realize that those opinions were likely loud and in the minority. Please don't lose that creative spark and drive and know that I, and many others I'm sure, appreciate you and the work you did.

To everyone else: please remember that the Celani do this as volunteers. View them as dungeon masters trying to come up with an enjoyable playing experience for us player characters. Not all "tables" will be up to everyone's satisfaction or personal taste, but that doesn't mean you flip the table over to end the game for everyone. Rather, you had the opportunity to opt out in this event, and walk away from the table to do something else. Moving forward, please employ this option. Otherwise, it sets a bad tone for us as players and it makes us look ungrateful.
    ValorieGyanaSaidennRhyotRebraDrystinAzarae
  • This sucks. Please don't get discouraged from running future events.
    SryaenValorieMagniXarianNisavi
  • Everyone seemed to voice my thoughts especially @Nisavi I would have loved to see this curse thing go on for a bit more. To those who complained I understand certain things but there was a way out of being cursed without going corporate or complaining to @Tiur is was curse opt-out so it was a simple fix, easy one too. This event was another branch to get us socializing with each other in a way. What is done is done though no need to gripe more about it. It's just too bad it had to go down like this.
    ValorieNisavi
  • Hello every one!

I have had many mixed feelings about this event! So I give you my observations and I hope they are helpful in the future! I know this was a lot of work and I am very excited that things are being tried!
    • The documentation was very confusing and seemed to contradict itself about consequences! I think it would be better to be more organized and straight forward about what players can expect and not so playful and vague because it creates some anxiety about how to participate!
    • It did not seem very equitable to Spirit tether! I was very concerned about upsetting my fellow players and this being Another Event of Bad Things Happening to Enorian. Even if it wanted to get into Enorian, Tiur did reassure that no real Bad Thing was intended.
    • The Role Play was also confusing about what we should be doing! Helping a dead spirit is very against what the Spirit tether is about so it was a barrier of bigger concern than in Shadow. Even if I do not remember what happened, every one else will and that can be a big consequence also. I was also concerned that if I participated, if allies would try to seek punishment for playing along! I recognize that some of my discomfort came from the community in the past and not the event on its own, only that it was an opportunity for some problems on our end!
    • The touching was concerning with newbies! I understand some new people were very turned off from the game by people putting their fun above considering their boundaries and that is not a good introduction to this community. I think this moves to two conversations! I do not feel like level 31 and the Academy should be such a hard line for if some one is new. I did not feel like I had my bearings until I was around level 60 and had spent some time experiencing the mechanics. I know not all are the same but this would have overwhelmed me if this was going on when I started! I think to help this there should be a soft invitation for up to around that level. This would give a hint that there is an event going on and they may experience some strange things! It does not have to spoil the fun but it should give a little context so it is not as alarming.
    • The Curse chat needed more moderation. It was very uncomfortable in a lot of directions. Out of character or very sharp with each other, confusing, or very loud. I know that people are excited and it is good! But some times excitement can be too loud to hear your own self. I also could not tell if an Administrator was speaking on it or not because every one was a Splinter so in the future it would be good if they were a different colour or had a different term!
    • I have questions about secrecy in events. Until I was cursed, I would not have known any thing was going on if I had not been told OOC! There also did not seem to be a way to participate except as some one that was cursed. I do not want to hide in my apartment and the other uncomfortable feelings had me opting out. May be there were ways that were already found but I do not think players should be depended on to convey important information. We are unreliable witnesses, we keep things to our selves, and it is not a good feeling when the person may be does not even know that it is their responsibility.
    I think these are all very solvable issues! I have enjoyed every one's excitement. I am eager to see how this is re-used because the possibilities are very engaging! I know hearing a lot of complaints and problems about some thing you have poured so much of your time and energy into is very heavy. It is like a punch to the stomach and that is not good. I hope you all do some nice things for your selves and that the feeling does not stay for very long.

TetchtaGyanaSibattiValorie