Volunteer AMA!

BraxBrax Immortal
edited November 2020 in Aetolia Development
Hi everyone!

We've been chatting, and thought it might be fun to do an AMA-type thread here on the forums for you to ask us questions.

Want to know what it's like to run an event? Curious about how a certain achievement in game was pulled off? Just want to ask a Celani what their favorite color is? You've come to the right place!

We'll keep this thread open as long as it remains civil, while keeping the following rules/consideration in mind:

- There will probably definitely be questions that we're not allowed to answer, either on the basis of lore considerations, or simply policy considerations.

- Information offered in this thread isn't meant to be taken in game. Metagaming is bad!

- This won't be the place to vent frustrations or voice attacks at the volunteers taking part; that puts Tiur into protective mode.

- The opinions offered here belong to the individual Celani giving them, and aren't necessarily a representation of how the Pools Team(TM) or other Celani feel.

We'll make sure to edit this original post as needed if/when the roster changes, but the Celani currently offering to take part are:

@Brax, @Haelra, @Minaret, @Raah, @Karizyna, @Ceraen, @Zeheia, and @Tedrunai.

Ask us your questions! Feel free to ask them to specific Celani, or just all of us in general!
HaelraRaah

Comments

• Hi! I am Ra'ah, I have been a volunteer on this text game for several years now, and I've done various events, progs, and areas across my time here. I'm very excited about the opportunity to be interrogated at length by some of you.
    Lin
  • Would you rather fight 100 duck-sized Omeis or 100 Omei-sized ducks.
    Tetchta
  • edited November 2020
    I don't know how many of you can answer this question, if at all, but I'm going to try.

I have had recent conversations about how much autonomy players should have in running a organisation, and how much would be seen as too much for the organisation. Is there a clear line where it should be drawn at? I'm curious to know the limits of our creativity, and if there's some elements that just shouldn't be touched. 

On a lighter note, what are each of your favourite denizens existing in Aetolia so far?
  • Hi!
    I'm a first time Celani but long time IRE player.

I can more accurately answer some of the questions for people considering coming up for the first time or people just curious about a first timer's experience.

I have also been given cautious permission to inform you guys that I am the one who ran the most recent Templar event!
    TetchtaSryaen
  • * Nisavi asks: Would you rather fight 100 duck-sized Omeis or 100 Omei-sized ducks?

I'd rather adopt all 200 of them and conquer the world.

* Elene asks: I have had recent conversations about how much autonomy players should have in running a organisation, and how much would be seen as too much for the organisation. Is there a clear line where the line should be drawn at? I'm curious to know the limits of our creativity, and if there's some elements that just shouldn't be touched.

This varies by the organization! Generally, my opinion is that players should have a large degree of autonomy in how an organization's goals are pursued, but they shouldn't have the power to change or actively work against those goals, or the stated lore that leads to those goals being important, without cooperating with the admins.

A lot of the time, player autonomy butts up against long-term administrative plans... and this can be frustrating, because it means choosing between disappointing players or redoing things to fit the ways the players are moving, even if we've spent considerable time on them. Player creativity is really awesome, but keeping things cohesive from an administrative and lore standpoint is also a huge priority of ours.

The way these needs compete is a difficult problem to address. I wish I had a clearer, more satisfying answer than this!

* Elene asks: On a lighter note, what are each of your favourite denizens existing in Aetolia so far?

You're making me pick just one???

In that case, I've got a major soft spot for Rhulin Glintspear. He was introduced making catapults to launch adventurers through the sky, and he's remained just as snarkily amazing ever since in spite of being juggled through several different volunteers and events. His existence has always entertained me.
    Saidenn
  • Hello! I've become Karizyna fairly recently, but volunteered to chime in here as interesting questions come up and I've been around IRE for a few years now!

@Nisavi I would never like to fall afoul of fowl, so clearly 100 duck-sized Omei is the superior answer here.

@Elene I can't answer the first part, but the part specifically asking about creativity - in my experience and opinion there's no limit to what can be proposed creatively by players in an effort to shape their organisations. Sometimes those ideas may not fit into the overarching themes that have been established, or may conflict with plans or ideas the admin might have ruminating and will therefore not be implemented. There's no hard line drawn in the sand, but there will always be the consideration of if a proposed change still fits thematically. I think that it's pretty important to consider these thematic concepts when looking to see what your org is, or things quickly become very homogenous and less interesting.

I don't have a favourite denizen, though I have a weakness for any Atavian!
    Saidenn
  • ZeheiaZeheia Immortal
    edited November 2020
    Hellooooooo my peeps and I do mean marshmallow chickens. I’m Zeh, I’ve been up for about a year now, and have been a volunteer for IRE on a few other occasions too, including here for a time waaaay back when. 

My favourite stuff about being a volunteer is keeping your typos under control and especially also RPing with people. 

@EleneOn a lighter note, what are each of your favourite denizens existing in Aetolia so far?

I'm not saying anything about anything here, but fireduck is great.
    She/her but also responds to they/them thanks to chilling as Somebody or other.

If in doubt, please refer to the Forum Rules! If in more doubt, please reach out to a moderator.

Act as you would wish to be treated.

"It costs you nothing to assume that we are acting in good faith."
    EleneSaidenn
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    Are the pools generally for Bees or Wasps?
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    LinIllikaal
  • Haven said:

\/\/
    NicolasHavenRijettaIllikaalBulrok
  • BraxBrax Immortal
    edited November 2020
    Also hi, I'm Brax. I also have a few years of experience, and my favorite thing is helping to create memorable experiences for players. You can usually find me emoting at people, wishing I was emoting at people, or badly fumbling with commands I can't remember.
    Nisavi said:

Would you rather fight 100 duck-sized Omeis or 100 Omei-sized ducks.

Give me the ducks please. I wouldn't want to fight even one Omei-sized Omei. I'll build a nice little pond and befriend them.
    Elene said:

I don't know how many of you can answer this question, if at all, but I'm going to try.

I have had recent conversations about how much autonomy players should have in running a organisation, and how much would be seen as too much for the organisation. Is there a clear line where it should be drawn at? I'm curious to know the limits of our creativity, and if there's some elements that just shouldn't be touched. 

On a lighter note, what are each of your favourite denizens existing in Aetolia so far?
    I think Ted nailed it super well here, and I find myself agreeing with him. There's a lot of room for creativity if it's handled in an organic way and it fits. Spinesreach is a pretty good example of this I think, having grown and evolved over the years to look like something different from the days of the Dhasani, but still something altogether still Spirean at its core.

There'll always be guardrails in place to keep cars on the road, but the roads taken and the cars themselves can be different as long as they're still ultimately heading towards the intended destination. Sometimes the GPS will insist you take the next exit because it's faster, or there's construction ahead that you didn't realize.

Re: Favorite denizens, that's a tough one. I have a special place in my heart for Giovelli. That said, I love pretty much any denizen that when possessed begins immediately lighting up esteems or spawning memes in discord or forums. I can't take credit for playing Usham, but the memes generated about him were just amazing.
  • CeraenCeraen Funky TownImmortal
    Nisavi said:

Would you rather fight 100 duck-sized Omeis or 100 Omei-sized ducks.

Gimme all the duck-sized Omeis, because I'm crazy like that.
    Elene said:

I'm pretty much in agreement with everything that's been said about this so far. I will add, however: I think it's important for players in any organization to remember that this is a game. Everyone has different things they enjoy at different levels. So, I think this autonomy needs to always take these things into account. As an aside, it's always fine to get in touch with the Pools/Imvra if you have ideas that you aren't sure are overstepping any boundaries. Gods can also sometimes be helpful as long as you ask them things that are actionable ICly.

As for favorite NPC, that's hard. I have a special place for Rappu since I created her at the beginning of me working on Ylemnics. If I can't pick my own, then probably the little girl selling fireflies in a jar in Duiran. I secretly think she might be hiding some insane skills.
    Elene
  • SaritaSarita Empress of Bahir'an The Pillars of the Earth
    edited November 2020
    1. If all the Aetolian classes suddenly magically existed in the real world, which would you want to be?

2. If you (as a real person) could take a one day vacation to Aetolia, where would you go?

3. What's your personal favorite thing you've done/made/whatever as a volunteer?

HaelraBrax
  • Sarita said:
    1. If all the Aetolian classes suddenly magically existed in the real world, which would you want to be?

Hmm, probably a Sentinel. I love animals and the class is thematically super cool. 

2. If you (as a normal person again) could take a one day vacation to Aetolia, where would you go?

I assume you mean we get our mortals back? I'd probably visit my IG family at their estate and make a few new memories. 

Unless you mean as a person we visit an Aetolian site I'd 100% visit Enorian. I'm a big fan of how parts of the Beacon were written overall.

3. What's you personal favorite thing you've done/made/whatever as a volunteer?

I have been up here for a very short time so most of my enjoyment has come from helping everyone with their events or getting to play a denizen role. Sometimes I pop into a room when other Celani are doing a scene and they invite me to pick up a denizen. It feels really nice that I can contribute and they allow me to join their scene.

Outside of that I think playing my orange Tabby was a lot of fun. Sometimes people just want to enjoy basic interactions, and a random cat stopping by makes their days. It's even better when the cat becomes incorporated in an ongoing scene and doesn't become the focus. It's really hard to keep a scene fun with a basic animal for any extended period, so people who just picked up Tabby and continued their conversation was fun while I just did cat things.

• SaritaSarita Empress of Bahir'an The Pillars of the Earth
    I'll edit my post so it doesn't sound like I'm trying to get information about people's mortal characters. I did mean you as the person.
  • Sarita said:
    1. If all the Aetolian classes suddenly magically existed in the real world, which would you want to be? 2. If you (as a normal person again) could take a one day vacation to Aetolia, where would you go? 3. What's you personal favorite thing you've done/made/whatever as a volunteer?
    1. Mage or maybe Teradrim. I used to be Tera a very long time ago and it was when I started shifting to small moments of deep, personal RP. It would definitely be a lifestyle in the real world. 

2. <redacted> because I think the <redacted> gardens would be so peaceful by the <redacted> not to mention watching the blood-sucking <redacted> mess with people would be great. (Not yet released, obviously!)

3. I was the celani who first revamped Minia into Sehal many years ago. It was a big moment of pride being able to change something so fundamentally Achaean and make it our own. 
    She/her but also responds to they/them thanks to chilling as Somebody or other.

If in doubt, please refer to the Forum Rules! If in more doubt, please reach out to a moderator.

Act as you would wish to be treated.

"It costs you nothing to assume that we are acting in good faith."
    Haelra
  • Sarita said:

2. If you (as a real person) could take a one day vacation to Aetolia, where would you go?

3. What's your personal favorite thing you've done/made/whatever as a volunteer?

1. Probably Monk. Being able to read minds and beat people up. What more do you need?

2. The remotest place possible that no players or denizens would ever go to. I would hide in a corner and try to be unnoticeable and hope that some autobasher doesn't "accidentally" pick me up and slaughter me. Aetolia would suck for normal people.

3. Either Farkle or the Chiav skillset. Two major efforts that were vindicated with a lot of use and player excitement.
    HaelraSaidenn
  • SibattiSibatti Mamba dur Naya Amidst vibrant flora and trees
    What do you find most engaging/inviting when it comes to spontaneous RP moments?

What is your equivalent of "SCORE, STAT, NSTAT, QW, SCENT"? (in that order, obv)

Haelra
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    1. What's your favorite secret god emote?

2. Has anyone been twerked out of the Pools during something really important? 
    Haelra
  • BraxBrax Immortal
    Sarita said:

1. Ascendril, for sure, without hesitation.

- I could fly, which is awesome.
    - I would use portals to go everywhere I didn't fly to. Lunch break? Time to open up a portal to another country to get some delicious authentic food. Wanna go to the beach on impulse? Hold on, Fiji is just a portal away.
    - Moving trucks? Naw, we'll just shove anything we need to transport into a fulcrum and pull it back out at the destination.
    - Illusions? Illusions.
    - Elemental mastery would also obviously have its perks.

..Ok I'm sure you get it, but yeah, Ascendril.

2. This was also very tricky. I think I'd also go to Enorian. Getting to see the Temple of the Gods in person would be amazing, beach is nearby.. there's a lot that would be really fun to see, and super scenic.

3. I'm going to take a rain check on this one, since I'm absolutely blanking. I feel like all of my favorite things from the Pools side are the ones where it's a collaboration between a bunch of us, or an event that's started absolutely aimlessly with a few of us because "why not" rationale that then spirals into something hilariously bigger than intended.
  • TedrunaiTedrunai Immortal
    edited November 2020
    Sibatti said:

What do you find most engaging/inviting when it comes to spontaneous RP moments?

What is your equivalent of "SCORE, STAT, NSTAT, QW, SCENT"? (in that order, obv)

If I drop in spontaneously, chances are I have nfc what is going on. So I love it when people use the think function to weave in context on what I just walked in on.

GODWHO, COWHO, OWHO, QW, WHOGROUP, ZAP BRAX, TRUEIDLERS
    Lin said:

1. See below.

2. Not twerk, but one time we were discussing quests and somehow the conversation turned to brainstorming a quest where you had to brush someone's back hair. And then we looked at the brush emote and it was all ew icky kissy emote. So I progged up a global emote replacer for gods that replaced the default brush emote with one about brushing back hair.

A bit of background, when Celani/Gods are invis mortal characters can't see their emotes. Any time you're in a super serious RP event with a vis Pools member, chances are there's at least one other Pools member sitting there invis, spamming lewd emotes and generally being a nuisance.

So a Celani just passed noobdom and vis'd on Slyphe for the first time ever. Big moment, lotta nerves, etc. Naturally, I show up and brush Slyphe's back hair.

Except, being a progged emote and not a real one, it wasn't hidden from players. So, in the middle of Slyphe's triumphant return, this poor Celani's first time ever being vis, I spammed a room of 10+ players with:

Tedrunai brushes Slyphe's back hair until it is gloriously silky and untangled.
    StineLinValorieHaelraGalileiZeheiaSaidennRijetta
  • 1) if you had to design a cup what would it do?

Haelra
  • Sibatti said:

I really like when people use thinks. I'm surprised by the number of people that don't use the command and it's hard to steer or get a read on what people are feeling or thinking sometimes. We adapt, but sometimes I think to myself it

GW|godwho|trueidlers|citywho|cmds

Lin said:

I love using dab. Also yeet. I can't help it. :(

I have no idea! :D

Ehtias said:

1) if you had to design a cup what would it do?
    It would drink the saliva from your mouth when you bring it to your lips, making YOU the cup. :)

• Ehtias said:

I think you already know ;).
  • Me: Second time volunteer, been up for a few years now! I am juggling a few things, but I am very much loving my current projects.

Herolt, 100%. Completely biased since he is my creation, but I have enjoyed giving him some dimension and more of a presence.

I struggled deciding, but likely Illuminai because priestess, yes.

Mostyn or Enorian.

Grand Library/Herolt and Biardha because making horoscopes was just fun to figure out.

YEET

• 1. Why are all of you so cool?

2. What's your favorite area in the game, thematically?

3. What are some books, games, movies, etc. that have really inspired you?
    Haelra
  • Qelres said:

1. Why are all of you so cool?

Players like you inspire us to be the best we can be and ensure a growing, evolving landscape for you to continue playing in!

Duiran thematically. I love the idea of it as someone who grew up in the countryside and spent A LOT of time playing 'Elves' with my sister and cousins. /embarrassed

Gentleman Bastards and The Kingkiller Chronicles (weep) will always be my favourite series of books, and I usually end up stealing lines or some descriptors from it.

Gaming wise, I actually can't say too much on. I just finished playing Final Fantasy 15 and balled my eyes out, actually sobbed for thirty minutes or so, but even with that being the game I've been mainly playing since I came up into the Pools, I cannot recall taking anything from it.

Movies would also fall under this category. I actually did not grow up with a TV, I spent a lot of time playing outside in the country and getting lost in the woods. Stumbling in to find IRE was a huge dream come true and probably fed into the fantasy world I created in my mind.

My foster parents/grandparents are my biggest inspiration! They let me read the books I wanted to at a young age. It started off with Percy Jackson, then evolved into actual Greek mythology, then rapidly evolved into young adult fantasy novels despite just hitting thirteen or so. The Night Angel Trilogy probably remains a series that really pushed me over the line of young reader to mature reader, with a theme based around politics and brothels intermingling and the dreaded pit, I was fortunate to have very supportive adults in my life who answered my questions maturely and didn't brush off questions about adult themes or pat my head and tell me 'when you're older'.

• BraxBrax Immortal
    Sibatti said:

Echoing the love for the think command. It's something I never got into the habit of using as a player, but it's such a welcome thing as a volunteer. Also, esteems after said moments! Sometimes it can be a little nerve-wracking trying to start interactions with people you're not familiar with/don't have a history with (how much can I push, etc.), and a nice esteem afterwards is a super great signal to let you know that it was enjoyed and could be pursued again in the future, which paves the way for more spontaneous RP moments down the road.

Commands: GODWHO, STAT, QW, RPWHO, PUNT TEDRUNAI
    Lin said:

BIGAGITATE. It's like agitate, but.. bigger.

I forgot this was a thing for a sec. Brb.
    Qelres said:

1. You're cool!

2. Seer's Wood is really, really neat. If you haven't before, spend some time reading the descriptions there.

3. I find it really, really hard to pinpoint specific ones. I've always been super interested in mythology as a whole, and sometimes when I'm looking for inspiration I'll do some reading about the deities in different mythologies around the world.

Different books/movies/shows will trigger different bits of creativity in different areas. Watching a good horror movie always makes me want to write something creepy. If a song gives me a strong feeling, I like to listen to it on repeat a few times with my eyes closed and let that help with some brainstorming, then listen to it while I start writing up whatever it is that resulted, or starting whatever interaction may have come to mind.

As far as games go, my biggest takeaway tends to be dialogue trees and implications of said dialogue trees from games like Fallout, Skyrim, Outer Worlds, etc. The NPCs that you get really attached to. I want to make NPCs of that quality here that players get equally attached to.
  • Haven said:

Bees. Wasps, along with mosquitoes, get my IRL zap (an electric flyswatter) if they come anywhere near me.
    Sarita said:

Ascendril, so I could teleport around and give people very cool enchanted items.

Alternatively, Illuminai, so I'd be able to help out at a hospital or something (and teleport, if someone else in this hypothetical universe also decides to be one!)
    Sarita said:

I have absolutely no self-defense skills, so vacationing anywhere in Aetolia seems honestly terrifying! I'd probably travel to Spinesreach, though, and do some sightseeing and library perusal. Honestly, could I just do a library tour? There's some beautifully described libraries in this game that I wouldn't mind getting lost in.
    Sarita said:

If I'm forced down to just one thing, my favorite is the redesign of Enorian. Imagining how it all fit together was a lot of fun, as was finding inspiration to draw from as I envisioned the city! My favorite part of it in particular is the temple, and the ways in which I was able to imply its scale by fitting fields and groves all along it... I ended up studying city planning and historical cities so I could have a better sense of how to arrange things.
    Sibatti said:

GODWHO, WHO, SCENT, NSTAT, CWHO, SCORE, STAT is what comes to mind immediately.
    Lin said:

IMGALLEUS2
    Ehtias said:

Probably hold some sort of liquid substance
    Qelres said:

Might be because it's autumn?
    Qelres said:

Honestly? I love the entire mood Spinesreach captures. Even though the city itself has changed a lot, there's always been a certain something about snow, mountains, an ancient citadel, and lots of booze that just... hits right for me.
    Qelres said:

Oh gosh, this is a huge, huge question, and I could probably go on all day answering it. I'm going to limit myself to five seven highlights in order to not totally derail the thread!
    • Bastion, by Supergiant Games. Artistry, narrative, gameplay-wise... it's just there. What I love about Supergiant is the ways in which they explore conflict, freedom, and reconciliation throughout all of their games, and how they take pains to give their characters believable interiority. Plus Darren Korb's music...
    • Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, and Legend all occupy a place together because collectively, I can acknowledge that they have some less-than-perfect moments, that they can get confusing, and that they are unquestionably creatures of the '80s... but they've been so formative for me and my aesthetic tastes that I can't not mention them!
    • Final Fantasy 6, a game which made me cry multiple times on first playthrough - sometimes because of its narrative, and sometimes because of its moments of sheer artistic beauty. Uematsu's music is sublime, and even though some of the characters aren't as well developed, the ones who are? Are incredible.
    • Terry Pratchett's Discworld (and also Good Omens.) I've read Pratchett's works since I was a teenager, and he's had a profound influence on my writing, my sense of humor, and me as a human being. GNU Pterry.
    • Lord of the Rings. My parents read Tolkien to me growing up, and I've revisited him several times since then in book form, and uncountable times in movie form. I love the mythology it presents... and I loved the constructed languages so much that I ended up constructing a few of my own (and several for Aetolia, too...)
    • Planescape: Torment is a video game that blew my mind repeatedly when I first played it, and showed me the complex narrative possibilities that video games can open up. It not only defined my standards for RPGs, it made me reconsider what a game could even be.
    • The Princess Bride. One of my favorite movies, and also one of my favorite books - even though they're completely different experiences! I've always really loved swashbuckling/adventure movies, and this one ends up on a lot when I'm sick.
    Guhhhh there are so many others but I'm making myself stop now.
    LinHaven
  • Oh wow, a ton more questions! Let’s just pick a few.

Without giving specifics, my favourite thing has always been to bring some little cultural development to a race. Something minor, but that can help shape future developments until we have something unique and varied.

People expressing themselves. I always found it awkward when people grovelled and scraped. Just roll on up to NPCs, whether just in general or Order ones, and just… interact with them. It’s more fun when it just happens and it feels natural.

It would be suspiciously normal. You would drink tea out of it. It would simply fill you with vague unease, like something was not quite right.

Saluria and Djeir have always been my two favourite, especially the latter. Someone put a lot of work into it and it shows.

I actually don’t tend to use much from books or other media. I prefer to look to real life inspirations to help to try and develop a ‘real’ area/personality/etc. However, there are certain elements of world-building that always make an impact and that depth is something I take into consideration when I try to design something for the game. For example, The Way of Kings, or the Realm of the Elderlings books. I want the things I do, to have an impact on someone. If a player can step back and come away with a sense of how something really -looks and feels-, then I've done my job.