Mildly Irritating: Aetolia's Pet Peeves

Comments

• MacavityMacavity Chicago, Il
    cliques.... I hate that there is a small group of people that seems hell bent on blocking others from almost anything.
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
    IazamatMjollTeaniSaybreSessizlik
  • TetchtaTetchta The Innocent
    Haven said:

>_> Reviving this thread.

I am irritated with bashing.

Good. Stop bashing so there's more xp for me 😂

MacavityHavenGalileiZaila
  • I am mad at @Haven for stalking me during patrol and giving me those love eyes. There's only so much a woman can take before she explodes.
    HavenSaybreSryaenTetchtaArdent
    Macavity said:

cliques.... I hate that there is a small group of people that seems hell bent on blocking others from almost anything.

Time to join the Carnifex, nobody bullies us, they're too busy being bullied by us.

IazamatMjollNaosHavenGalileiTiurZailaSryaen
    Tetchta said:

Macavity said:

Time to join the Carnifex, nobody bullies us, they're too busy being bullied by us.

umm I am gay.. I do not do the girlfriend thing! lol
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

• Steal boyfriends
    EscelikaLinTetchtaSibatti
    although since the door has been cracked open, I find issues with a whole guild that seems to feel this way....

"Time to join the Carnifex, nobody bullies us, they're too busy being bullied by us."

If a guild feels the need to bully other people and the community, I have to wonder if this is a larger issue that needs to be looked at by the Producer of the game. I wonder how many people have left the shadow side for the spirit or worse, left the game. I ponder if this is being tracked some how.

but I guess this is all hypothetical?
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Tetchta
  • edited August 2020
    It was a joke, Macavity. But if you want to push the door open and talk about bullying/toxicity, perhaps consider reflecting upon the fact that you outguilded someone at 3AM without evidence, didn't bother to follow up with a message or RP, and then spent a RL week trying to get them kicked out of their city.
    EscelikaTetchtaDarimOonagh
  • @Tiur What do you think?
    Toz says, "Dishonor on you (Mjoll), dishonor on your family (Seirath), dishonor on your cow (Bulrok)"
    TetchtaOonagh
    Iazamat said:

It was a joke, Macavity. But if you want to push the door open and talk about bullying/toxicity, perhaps consider reflecting upon the fact that you outguilded someone at 3AM without evidence, didn't bother to follow up with a message or RP, and then spent a RL week trying to get them kicked out of their city.

1) I kicked you out at 3am because I do not wake up in the US till in the evening or over night hours because I sleep during the day time, so that was my normal play time. Not every player has to play at the same time as someone else. This is one of the many awesome things with our game.

2) I outguilded you after the council voted for it, and with RP reasons with our GTS being shared with others outside of the guild, which was and still part of the laws. Its the same if the Axis channel was shared by an Overlord to someone outside of Bloodloch

3) I didnt spend time trying to get you kicked out of the city, I was perfectly fine to leave you be, till you decided to bring up the blood duel, and even after the issue was resolved before the blood duel you decided you wanted one anyways in spite. To which I had every right to request terms and conditions as stated in the Blood duel scroll under chelp.

4) as stated in the Blood Duel scroll all issues are to be final and considered close after someone dies. I died to you in that duel and thus, as stated in the scroll, I didnt think about it ever again. However, it would seem you, @Iazamat , seem to still carry a huge grudge about it even to this day. I mean that was how long ago?

I really do not know what your fixation is with me, I have not bothered you ever since that happened, other than the messages about the Racetrack that you seem to think I was using some hidden agenda to get you in trouble where I was genuinely actually trying to help, not only from a RP prospective but also from an OOC prospective as a means to provide something to the city and others who are not all about combat, which there are a few of us who are like that. I involved the Overlord council simply because I knew of the drama between us.
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

• I really do not know what your fixation is with me, I have not bothered you ever since that happened

You're right. You haven't. And there is no fixation from me. Everything was perfectly IC. However, given recent IC events, it was pretty clear the people your initial Pet Peeves post was aimed at. Then you dug deeper by beginning to imply far more OOC than necessary from a simple joke about another guild of players. It's pretty uncool, man, so I may have boiled over - not because of some grudge, but because it was an easy gotcha! to counteract the rather insidious accusations taking place against another group of players.
    Aeryx
  • SessizlikSessizlik Muffin Mage
    My pet peeve is how incredibly difficult it is to find rp. I have tried the RPWHO command, I have tried standing around in various places. I have been standing around in the same room as people and I still get nothing. I find it difficult to just go up to people and poke them for rp or strike up a conversation, so I am really at a loss at how to actually find people to rp with.
    EphiSryaenTeaniLin
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    Sessizlik said:

I find it difficult to just go up to people and poke them for rp or strike up a conversation...

Of all the things you've listed, this is the only one that'll actually consistently find you RP. It's scary but you have to try!
    SaltzNisaviHavenRhine
  • My pet peeve is about the forums.

When I first started playing, people who flagged posts with 'Disagree' and 'Off Topic' votes were shown just like the other flags. I don't remember precisely when this changed. I know there's something to be said about people feeling nervous about expressing dissent when they have to do so publicly, but in the past year-ish, it seems like the anonymity has made it too easy. Rather than signifying meaningful disagreement or an actual issue with a post, people appear to flag posts (especially as 'Off Topic') as a passive-aggressive gesture. It's happened to me. I've observed it happen to others. I know I'm not alone in perceiving it as passive-aggressive. I don't think whatever we gained in terms of enabling shy people to express dissent offsets the frustration and perception of passive-aggressive, tether-based flagging.

tl;dr Please make people who click 'Off Topic' and 'Disagree' on posts show again so it's less viable as an easy, low risk way to needle each other.
    (Congregation): Iosyne says, "I made a cup."

Horkval are a feature...
    DarimGavramel
  • PhoeneciaPhoenecia The Merchant of Esterport Somewhere in Attica
    Sessizlik said:
    My pet peeve is how incredibly difficult it is to find rp. I have tried the RPWHO command, I have tried standing around in various places. I have been standing around in the same room as people and I still get nothing. I find it difficult to just go up to people and poke them for rp or strike up a conversation, so I am really at a loss at how to actually find people to rp with.

Standing around very rarely gets you RP. I do it in my shops, which sometimes helps, but most people just aim to get in, buy what they want, and get out.

The most consistent way I've gotten RP has been that last point: actually reaching out to (new) people I've not RPed at before. I've been pleasantly surprised sed at how many keep coming back to interact.

The other way I've gotten to RP with new people? Either making weird requests on market or answering weird requests.

You kind of can't take the passive route if you're looking for interaction. Yes, you might find people who are AFK, or people just don't want to RP at the point in time, but you have to keep poking around. You're not going to find anything if you just wait for it to come to you. 
  • Naos said:
    lmfao how did i miss this NEVER MIND GOOD JOB FOLKS CARRY ON
    (Congregation): Iosyne says, "I made a cup."

Horkval are a feature...
    Tetchta
    Macavity said:

If a guild feels the need to bully other people and the community, I have to wonder if this is a larger issue that needs to be looked at by the Producer of the game. I wonder how many people have left the shadow side for the spirit or worse, left the game. I ponder if this is being tracked some how.

It was a joke about Carnifex RP, sis, it ain't that deep.

Lin said:

Sessizlik said:

I find it difficult to just go up to people and poke them for rp or strike up a conversation...

Of all the things you've listed, this is the only one that'll actually consistently find you RP. It's scary but you have to try!
    Gosh my second time doubleposting in 24 hours, someone arrest me, but I have to use this as a leaping off point, because it reminded me of my own pet peeve that's RP related, which is when you go through the trouble of offering someone who clearly RPs a set-up to a scene (any set up at all!) and they just act bored or nonplussed or give you nothing to work with. Maybe this is just me, but when someone RP's a stone wall that is unaffected by everything that goes on around them, it makes it incredibly difficult to strike up anything interesting with them.

I get that there's lots of reasons for why people might make this choice, but sometimes I find it frustrating, and it makes me less likely to seek out RP with that person in the future.

SessizlikLinPhoeneciaTeani
    On the opposite end of things... 

There are people who will hold you 'RP hostage' for hours. They're talented RPers, but it's extremely difficult to find an out with RP with them because you either a) have somewhere else to be or b) would really rather be doing something else.

Then there are people who take forever to emote because they write novel-length paragraphs worth of emotes, leaving you with a CRAP TON of stuff to try and engage, which in turn forces you to do massive emotes yourself. 

And then there are people who emote AT you rather than with you. Doesn't matter what you do or say, they just kind of do their own thing and feels like they're monologuing at you instead of playing off of or engaging stuff you're tossing out. 
    Tetchta
    God yeah some of us got work in the morning. Ending a scene is definitely an artform and a learned skill.

• TiurTiur Producer
    Mjoll said:

@Tiur What do you think?

um, about what specifically? I was asleeping.
    MjollSeurimasTetchta
  • SibattiSibatti Mamba dur Naya Amidst vibrant flora and trees
    Ugh, I also hate the paragraph/novel emote.

Having to respond to the first sentence, and then having to be like "And then when THIS happens, she DOES SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT" like, that's not at all a good flow, people!

Know when the dramatic "warrants a response" type actions are, even if it means your emote is 'only' two sentences long. Pacing is based on action, not word count!!!

Extra exclamation marks because I'm very passionate about this !!!!!!!
    PhoeneciaLinTetchtaSryaenBenedictoEscelika
    In answer to criticisms that there's too much Femme rep in Carnifex Propaganda materials, I have to agree, and I have immediately rectified this disparity.

Mjoll
    edited August 2020
    Super, SUPER agree with @Sibatti . I view emoting as a back and forth exchange, and you (ideally) try to match whoever you're emoting with. You don't want to cram too many things to respond to in a single emote because it bogs things down too much and makes emotes unwieldy. When I emote these days, I remain conscious about keeping them short. Convey as much information or emotion as possible in as concise a manner as possible to maintain the flow. Not every emote needs to be a gigantic wall of text. 
    This isn't a pet peeve, but all this talk of walls of text is making me think of that weird power creep that happens in RP where you start with small emotes but then one person does an extra line then you do an extra line and then omg three exchanges later and we're doing paragraphs.

It can actually be very organic and amazing but I've found that it can be helpful to do planned resets in your scene, where if you feel like your character doesn't have a TON to do, just answer with a really short emote or even a SAY.

LinPhoeneciaIrys
  • Honestly, hearing this from people is really quite comforting. There are definitely points where I either don't know how I want my character to move in that particular moment or don't feel it's necessary to tell that and reply to someone's paragraph with a say/saymote, and it always makes me feel bad, like I'm not giving the same respect or effort to the scene. It's nice to see people feel otherwise.
    TetchtaSibatti
    I honestly think it shows more respect to respond in the way that's most fluid and relevant to the scene than to arbitrarily lengthen your emotes.

PhoeneciaIazamatSibatti
    Tetchta said:
    I honestly think it shows more respect to respond in the way that's most fluid and relevant to the scene than to arbitrarily lengthen your emotes.
    It kind of goes along with my point of being emoted at as opposed to with. If you're just posting huge emotes for the sake of it without taking into account the flow or content, you're kind of just doing your own thing and not really engaging.

There's nothing wrong with building up to long, paragraph emotes, but you do kind of want to 'reset' the stage at some point. Break up the tempo with a say or smaller emote. 
    TetchtaLin
  • RhyotRhyot Bloodloch
    As someone who has no idea what this "RP" thing you're talking about is....

Paragraph emotes vs non-paragraph emotes is hard pressed of an argument. There is something I feel a lot of people who RP/emote often forget about: Time constraints.

If I decide I want to RP with you, I've got a limited time before I want to go do something else or before I need to log off. Simple short emotes are perfect for this, because I can then choose to respond with a simple say, or a quick two line saymote. If I'm having to wait on you for 30 minutes because you want to write out Pride and Prejudice in a single emote... I'm going to get irritated and be less likely to want to roleplay with you. This are moments like hanging out in a shop, central city location, etc.

INVERSELY... longer emotes are probably better left to times when there's actually something hugely monumental going on and you need to explore a full range of emotions/actions/thought processes because there's a story arc going on. Such as god rp or some sort of serious character development.

Ultimately... the longer your emotes, the less time you have to actually explore an RP arc together because you're waiting 15+ minutes for a response and then another 15+ minutes to reply.

Idk. Just my opinion on it all.

TetchtaPhoeneciaSessizlikSibatti