Mildly Irritating: Aetolia's Pet Peeves

Comments

• MacavityMacavity Chicago, Il
    Phoenecia said:

Macavity said:

major pet peeve: the amount of people that just AFK and not in their Havens. Timers are still ticking for them to give them voting, classlead and other things related to time played in the game.

This has been frustrating me too for an entirely different reason: RP and org advancement. I want to RP at somebody and send a tell, no response for hours, if they respond at all. Need to find someone to give you an interview for advancement or speak to them for a task? Either they're AFK or otherwise busy.

I know I can be guilty of being AFK occasionally, but I at least try to get back to people and check my messages and tell often. Some people are regularly AFK or absent, and it makes it next to impossible to get any interaction out of them.

Seriously, if you know you're not going to be attentive for long stretches of time, please. Do everyone a favor and just log off so the rest of us aren't wondering when or if you'll ever respond to tells or messages. It's super frustrating for the rest of us looking to get some RP.
    yeah that is equally as frustrating, I am on an opposite time as most people in the game, as I work over nights in the US (CST time), so when I see people online I am like yay! I can talk to so and so...but then I send a tell and get nothing back....just blah.

so I end up not sending tells after awhile, and then people think I am being distant because I dont talk to a lot of people! lol

I can for sure tell you, if you ever see me online, I am at my computer doing stuff! and when I do have to go afk, I go to my haven, but thats only for a little bit, if I feel like I am going to be gone for a longer period, I just log out.

I do not understand why people afk.
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
  • edited July 2020
    I've been saying recently that while vote weight was a system that was, at the time, sorely needed, it's a concept that's much better on paper than it is in execution. It punishes people that only get x amount of time a week to play and otherwise incentivizes AFKing to maximize your vote weight. I'd much rather we revert back to everyone's vote being weighted at 1 and requiring a playtime of 3 to 5 hours maximum over 5 weeks to be able to vote at all. Alternatively, revert vote weight back to 1 for everyone and simply make it so that elections/referendums check your account for if a character has voted on it. If it has, it denies any other votes from characters on that account from being cast, and anyone using multiple registrations to bypass that would be severely punished.

It doesn't fully solve the problem of AFK, sure, and plenty will still do it, but it stops incentivizing it and punishing players with limited playtime.
    RhyotArdentEscelikaKodaHawa
  • TiurTiur Producer
    The vote weight is a little more complicated than you think. Also, it very much knows when people cheat using alt and suchlike.
    LinNisavi
  • That's great, but it's still a terribly detrimental system.
    TeaniRhyot
  • To whichever sadist came up with the monthly milestone to kill 1,100+ vermin...

oh. my. god.
    SaritaRhyotOonaghMacavityEleneZailaAyastia
  • TekiasTekias Wisconsin
    edited July 2020
    To be fair...that's 36 vermin a day if you spread it out. Far more manageable than the 50 vermin daily.
    Formerly: Spiegel. Eidycue.

Hi.

• Vermin daily/weekly/monthly for anyone over like level 20 is idiotic tbqh. Wtb weekly/monthly rerolls.
    Mjoll
  • its....really....not....that....bad

I turn on vermin, do crafting and other shit while it runs, I am p sure I updated a couple projects last time I had that one.
    Theres useful things to do while you smash ez little babies.
    Mjoll
  • TekiasTekias Wisconsin
    Oh yeah, don't take my 'far more manageable' comment as me saying vermin is a bad milestone. It's really not. Oh no, I have to hit up 10 rooms and kill 50 one-hit mobs to hit my milestone. I even use vermin for my 'Kill X NPCs' milestone if I don't hit in the course of my other activities.

Hi.

• It could absolutely be worse, sure, that's just a big chunk of tedious is all. 1,100+ mobs is a lot. If I'm feeling it the 50 daily one isn't terrible, because I can do it, then be done with vermin for a while.

1,100? I'm up to 900-something and it's been a result of a few chunks of sitting and trying to get 150-200ish at a time so I can get it done with. If I'm hopping on after a long day of work to have some fun for a few hours, spending that time vermin hunting isn't necessarily at the top of my list, but the completionist in me needs to see that fancy-schmancy COMPLETED! on the line.

That said, it's totally optional, there's a whole month to do it, etc., I was just joke-whining because at this point I think I'm about to start seeing the pincher has entered the room lines in my sleep is all.
    edited July 2020
    Farming things that needs to be WIELDED?!?!?!?!?! Hoe, Watering Can, Axe, all those things that are the artifact versions. so annoying!!

**and

Artifact Fertilizer bag that I have to go room by room to fertlize!! the seeds box can sprinkle a 9x9 room, why not fertilizer as well?!?!

**also
    when you use the field till (direction) if that direction is already tilled and you hit it again it does it again giving you a 3.50 bal loss, over and over again if you hit it be accident!! Really should have a message that says that has already been tilled and no balance cost. FYI, Fertlizer gives a message and does not give bal if you have that location done already

LOL can you tell what I was working on tonight with my 5 farms?
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

• TekiasTekias Wisconsin
    Honestly, for the hoe, I just use the .5s bal and go room by room, don't bother with the special ability. And I've never used my watering can, ever, watersprite just 2 gud.

Hi.

Tekias said:

Honestly, for the hoe, I just use the .5s bal and go room by room, don't bother with the special ability. And I've never used my watering can, ever, watersprite just 2 gud.

I use the can for one farm that I do not have a well on, for 15 calves, because you have to have all the locs for grass except for one which is for my scarecrow
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

• RihrinRihrin Duiran
    Macavity said:

Tekias said:

I use the can for one farm that I do not have a well on, for 15 calves, because you have to have all the locs for grass except for one which is for my scarecrow
    Nah. You can have a well, scarecrow, and your shed and still make enough grass to have cows. :) If you have a cellar, you can replant the ground above it with grass, even though it may not show as grass on the map.
  • TekiasTekias Wisconsin
    edited July 2020
    Rihrin said:

Macavity said:

Tekias said:

Nah. You can have a well, scarecrow, and your shed and still make enough grass to have cows. :) If you have a cellar, you can replant the ground above it with grass, even though it may not show as grass on the map.
    7*13

91-2

89/6

91-1

90/6

Field + scarecrow allows 15 calves, Field + scarecrow + well leaves you one grass tile shy.

Edit: and in response to Macavity, that's true but I would trade that 'bonus' calf in exchange for field uniformity/not having to worry about/remember getting the well back in place for the next round of crop, and I tend to go all-in per farming round

Hi.

• RihrinRihrin Duiran
    Tekias said:

Rihrin said:

Macavity said:

Tekias said:

7*13

91-2

89/6

91-1

90/6

Field + scarecrow allows 15 calves, Field + scarecrow + well leaves you one grass tile shy.

Edit: and in response to Macavity, that's true but I would trade that 'bonus' calf in exchange for field uniformity/not having to worry about/remember getting the well back in place for the next round of crop, and I tend to go all-in per farming round
    Ah, sorry, missed it saying '15' honestly. I thought 14 was the max. But, like you say, I'd rather keep field uniformity for the 1 calf. Especially when leather isn't highly needed now, save for making your own stock.
  • PhoeneciaPhoenecia The Merchant of Esterport Somewhere in Attica
    Macavity said:

Haaaa. You think it's bad with 5? Try managing 10+. >_>

The artifact hoe only takes 0.5s of balance, which I use instead of doing 3 tiles at once with directional input. Just easier that way. I never bothered with the watering can because your field would need constant attention, which eats up a lot of time. With a watersprite, you can just set it and forget it for a few days. 

I would totally kill for an artifact you can stick on your farmplot or outfit your shed with that will auto-feed livestock. Sooo many days I've missed forgetting to feed my cows. 
    Phoenecia said:

Macavity said:

Haaaa. You think it's bad with 5? Try managing 10+. >_>

The artifact hoe only takes 0.5s of balance, which I use instead of doing 3 tiles at once with directional input. Just easier that way. I never bothered with the watering can because your field would need constant attention, which eats up a lot of time. With a watersprite, you can just set it and forget it for a few days. 

I would totally kill for an artifact you can stick on your farmplot or outfit your shed with that will auto-feed livestock. Sooo many days I've missed forgetting to feed my cows. 

I am not sure if its the artifact doing it or not, but actually with watering, once you water, it stays that way for several days or even a few weeks IRL. Many times I have gone to my calves to care for them and checked all the grass spots to make sure they were watered and still were

the balance time on the hoe is not really my issue, the issue is that the command continues to work even though the plots have been tilled already. Where as the fertilizer if you do it again in that plot it says its been done already and does not take balance
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

also I do have a high demand for leather since I am a forger and craft armour that needs it.
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

• AxiusAxius where I am
    as a note: @Macavity

Grass doesn't need watering beyond the first couple of weeks. Before you start planting it, toss down your well, summon a watersprite, destroy the well, then plant the 90 plots of grass in the spring, and it'll persist on through to next winter without a single drop of water being necessary beyond that.
    Macavity
    Axius said:

as a note: @Macavity

Grass doesn't need watering beyond the first couple of weeks. Before you start planting it, toss down your well, summon a watersprite, destroy the well, then plant the 90 plots of grass in the spring, and it'll persist on through to next winter without a single drop of water being necessary beyond that.

yeah you told me that, but I get impatient and want the grass and calves down NOW!!! lol plus I dont mind the watering can artifact, it does a 9x9 like the seed box so it feels faster for me a little? lol

― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

• TekiasTekias Wisconsin
    Actually, Grass doesn't need watering at all. I've never watered my grass and once it's down, I get my calves going.

Hi.

Zaila
    Tekias said:

Actually, Grass doesn't need watering at all. I've never watered my grass and once it's down, I get my calves going.

really?? it does not die or anything and last till winter?
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

• TekiasTekias Wisconsin
    In my experience so far, yeah.

Hi.

Macavity
  • AeryxAeryx Docking Nipsy's pay
    I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to spoil the party. No, grass has never needed to be watered.
    Childhood's over the moment you know you're gonna die.
    There are quite a few things that irk me that I would consider pet peeves about Aetolia. The one that really has bothered me the most consistently though is how you have to compete for content in this game. Like, I don't know how many other people dislike it, but I really dislike not being able to consistently do things at certain times because like a bunch of other people have already done it. Like, spawn camping, the last time I remember doing it was in the late 90s in Everquest. This has been even further highlighted by encouraging people to do platinum keystones now. Not that the Pools doesn't have a giant list of things to do already, but maybe some day in the future it'd be worth looking into changing design on the game to not make it a big 'compete over quests and content' thing that it is. I know a ton of us wish there was more instanced content, or at least faster respawn times, particularly with the influx of players this year.

And if you try and mention to me 'thats why you have 5 hunter's tools, Aeryx' I will slap you and call you dumb for insinuating that we should be paying real life money to not have to compete for content in a game in 2020.
    OonaghSessizlikMacavity
  • Aeryx said:

There are quite a few things that irk me that I would consider pet peeves about Aetolia. The one that really has bothered me the most consistently though is how you have to compete for content in this game. Like, I don't know how many other people dislike it, but I really dislike not being able to consistently do things at certain times because like a bunch of other people have already done it. Like, spawn camping, the last time I remember doing it was in the late 90s in Everquest. This has been even further highlighted by encouraging people to do platinum keystones now. Not that the Pools doesn't have a giant list of things to do already, but maybe some day in the future it'd be worth looking into changing design on the game to not make it a big 'compete over quests and content' thing that it is. I know a ton of us wish there was more instanced content, or at least faster respawn times, particularly with the influx of players this year.

And if you try and mention to me 'thats why you have 5 hunter's tools, Aeryx' I will slap you and call you dumb for insinuating that we should be paying real life money to not have to compete for content in a game in 2020.

I am definitely not trying to piss in your proverbial bowl of cereal when saying this, as I agree it is what it is, and it does stink, especially when it comes to even "High Level bashing areas" and people claiming them as their domain. I think maybe just having a larger variety of areas, or even looking into level scaling ideas maybe might be cool, I dont know how feasible that really is....sounds like a nightmare.

Maybe just creating a few more unique mobs we can hunt, have some older areas have a few "super mobs" in them that would be for milestones.
    Developing a few more honors mobs/honors lines for existing mobs that may be suited to that better.

I know its likely alot of work but maybe something to look into in the future....that being said, having played MMORPG's and other games, spawn camping/quest mob camping, rare spawns and elites are something that HISTORICALLY exist, to the point many games make add-on's to track them, in our case we have artifacts to revive them, so ...I think were ahead of the game when it comes to some other places. As the kids say these days in their TikTok videos..... "IT IS WHAT IT IS" (*echoes* ....it is what it is)
    Aeryx
    While I agree there should be more stuff for everyone to do, for sure, 100%, and I know they want to make more bashing areas, I more mean how irritating it is that I want to like, do the daily quests in Albedos, you know 1 single time for the day, since they're dailies, and the rest of my non-daily quest loop in Sapience, and like, its a complete and utter crapshoot if I get to do them or not. Particularly when you straight up have certain people on this game who still bot quests and bashing, 24-7. If we're cool with that, which it feels like they've taken a leaner approach to since I last played, at least don't hose the normal people who just wanna do stuff once a day or something. It just is a really feelsbadman time that I have to stay on the game another 3-4 hours past what I planned just so I can get this stuff done before I go have a life outside the game, if I want to get it done efficiently before it resets.
    OonaghNaosSessizlikBenedicto
  • [ ] Give spectral essence to Alia. Progress: 137 / 500

There is a special circle of hell reserved for the person who made this quest...
    AeryxArdentCzciennTsarraRhineTeaniEscelika
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    >_> Reviving this thread.

I am irritated with bashing.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    Ayastia