Announce post #3123: Experimental Changes

7/25/2020 at 5:23
Keroc, the Starborn
Everyone
Experimental Changes

I had planned to do this later on, but since it now involves the Pit report (2887 for reference) we'll be exploring some big changes early on!

Elixirs
=============================
- Healing elixirs and defensive elixirs now share the same balance.
* This means you can't drink a health elixir and levitation elixir at the same time anymore.
- Health and mana elixirs will knock your elixir balance for 4.75 seconds.
* Same duration as before.
- Levitation, immunity, frost, antivenin, and vigour elixirs will knock your elixir balance for 1.4 seconds.
* Slightly less then before, used to be 1.5.
- Speed elixir continues to remain free of needing elixir balance for now.

Domination
- The Pit now strips levitation every 4 seconds, up from 3.
- The Pit can now only be ensorcelled by the person who cast it.
- The Pit no longer bypasses levitation if the target is fallen.

Firstaid
- Firstaid will use defensive elixirs over healing elixirs.
* I haven't really found a situation just yet where waiting is worth while with existing mechanics and the balance being short, but feel free to let me know if it becomes a problem.

There are some further changes that come along with this that are experimental, as this was something I was working alongside the above ones. I may further adjust, expand, or revert these ones, so keep that in mind. I didn't want to change too much early on.

Celerity & Recovery
There is now a new mechanic called Recovery to go alongside Celerity.

Under the old system, every second you would recover all your celerity points. With recovery, you now only recover as much celerity as you have recovery. So if you have a recovery of 2, you will regain 2 celerity points each second. Everyone has a default of 2 recovery to start with.

Gaining extra recovery will often only come in the form of a temporary boon or situational position. As such, don't expect to gain a defence that gives recovery at no cost to yourself. It will perhaps require an endurance upkeep or for you to be within a certain environment.

AUDIT will show you your total recovery along with your celerity.

Changes to go alongside this:
- New Affliction: Shock.
* This affliction will block recovery from occuring.
* You will be able to move until your celerity points are spent, at which point normal movement will become unavailable.
* Cured only through time, restores 1 celerity upon being cured.
- Trotting from Horsemanship now bestows +1 recovery instead of celerity as long as you are mounted.
- Stalking from Corpus (and the racial) now bestows +1 recovery during the night.
* No longer hides your player from view however.
- Celerity from Corpus now bestows +1 celerity instead of its old effect of speeding up the recovery tick.

Hiding abilities
Hiding abilities are making a small comeback in usefulness.

With Heatsight being wildly available, many abilities that hide you from view are quickly countered at zero cost. We would like to see them have some usefulness within the realm, so some changes have been made to strike a balance so that they are usable without being frustrating in day-to-day events.

Changes to go alongside this:
- Heatsight is now a single use command that will show the room, letting you see hidden players only for that moment.
- The hiding defence is now stripped when you move, unless you are shadowing someone.
- Shroud no longer hides the player from view in the room, it continues to hide actions and movement however.
- Spiritsight for Deathlore now lets you see those who are currently dead within the realms.
- Shadowsight for Subterfuge now lets you see through illusions 50% of the time.
- Lifevision remains how it is for now, however it has lost the ability to see through illusions.

Penned by my hand on Closday, the 2nd of Khepary, in the year 489 MA.
NisaviSeurimasRijettaStineCzciennOonaghRhineEhtiasArdentAyastiaValidanDrystinArenSaltzHawaDarimXavinKaiaraSwaraTetchtaTinaEscelikaLinIesid

Comments

• SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    Hypersight gives you 100% illusion bypass. Have people forgotten this existed?

• edited July 2020
    Serrice said:

Who are you? - For real though, Hi @Serrice you stinkyface.....for everyone in the back.....I add this.......

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
    AyastiaArdentHawaLinDarimSryaen
  • Rijetta said:

dont like it

NisaviValidanAhlysaariaHawaDarimSryaen
  • Czcibor said:
    I'm not really sure what the point of the celerity and hiding changes was other than to make the game more tedious for us. Both of these changes really seem to be a big regression in the overall player experience. I think the elixir change is fine as a concept but will need some finetuning because it does have some (prob minor) effects on other skills/classes beyond pit. Also just a tad confused about Tekura and Wayfarer lines not being streamlined because supposedly some people already have systems to accommodate for that but we end up with these changes instead.
    The point of celerity change, I feel, is to cause people to buy credits for wings, sulphorous amulet. 
    AeryxArdentHawaDarimTetchta
  • edited July 2020

AyastiaArdentDarimSryaen
  • edited July 2020
    Serrice said:

This is true if the illusion is directed at you. If it's generalized, meaning a room-wide illusion, it does not trigger Hypersight.
    ArdentOonaghValidanEleneHawaDarimSryaenEscelika
  • Also as a note, refunds on Speedwalk/Celerity Artifacts should likely be coming soon, yeah.

Cause we should have full refunds if that is the case.
    ArdentNisaviHawaDarimSryaen
  • What gives or will give Shock? Anything PVP?
    Didi has expressed her esteem of you for the following reason: Smart organized leader.
    Experience Gained: 47720 (Special) [total: 2933660]
    Needed for LVL: 122.00775356245
    Hawa
  • Seurimas said:
    What gives or will give Shock? Anything PVP?
    This was intentionally vague it seems. Because if it is not something an equal amount of classes on both sides can do, we are looking at a giant pile of horse feces here. 
  • SCAVENGING PLEASE..........KOBOLD RACE SKILLS PLEASE......
    ALSO SLIMYNESS PLEASE......
    ArdentAyastiaLinSryaen
  • So, question. What did the game as a collective do to tick off the pools enough to get this?
    CzciennOonaghAhlysaariaRhineHawaLinDarimSryaenSibatti
  • Just FYI - this post is 3 months and 24 days too late...
    CzciennOonaghHawaGavramelSryaenSibatti
  • I would also like to point out there are people who play their characters as very proud of their speed (celerity). A core component of that characters pride. And this recovery bit just nuked that. 
    ArdentOonaghLinTeaniSwara
  • AeryxAeryx Docking Nipsy's pay
    Everyone's made great posts in this thread, I agree with pretty much all of it. That being said, I think these changes continue to expose two glaring problems with Aetolia's development: Lack of transparency, and lack of consistency.

I truly hope someone, somewhere, learns something from this.
    Childhood's over the moment you know you're gonna die.
    ArdentOonaghHawaEscelika

• (Sorry)
    AeryxOonaghRijettaHawaTetchta
  • RijettaRijetta Nowhere Important
    some more thoughts now that I'm not at work:

i don't really mind the heatsight change - because I have lifevision - but to get one of my guild skills randomly obliterated feels pretty bad

going slow is not very fun

you should keep the elixir change though. no reason .... Don't look into it very much.......
    A low, sultry voice resounds within the depths of your mind, "I look forward to seeing your descent."
    AyastiaArdentAhlysaariaOonaghHawaSwara
  • Rijetta said:

going slow is not very fun

Swara
  • I've said it so many times before, but it bears repeating:
    Keroc is, in fact, biased... against players. :tongue:

I'm doing my best not to have a knee jerk reaction, but I can't deny that the prospect of coding all these fiddly changes into my Frankensystem is not a pleasant one. Oh well, lol.
    (Congregation): Iosyne says, "I made a cup."

Horkval are a feature...
    Swara
  • RijettaRijetta Nowhere Important

(Sorry)

Don't you guys have wings?
    A low, sultry voice resounds within the depths of your mind, "I look forward to seeing your descent."
    AhlysaariaArdentOonaghLinTetchta
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    Classic Aetolia is back. I have to code a bunch of janky workarounds into my system to track my own offense, and everyone moves at the speed of sludge
    Macavity
  • If recovery is implemented to make running away from combat a harder and less obnoxious approach, (Which it does sound like, looking at Shock affliction.) then I see the reasoning behind this. I second it even, it'd be a nice change of pace to recover a bit of your celerity before dashing away in a distance which could be a fun experiment for both the runner&chaser. That being said, I am somewhat concerned that Shock will be an investment check as an affliction though. By the looks of it, it'll be very detrimental against people who have low celerity and potentially will not even tickle the ones with high celerity.

Combat-aspect aside, low travel speed is unfun on its own. If the change was done for combat purposes I'd suggest enabling the recovery mechanic only for 15 seconds after using any ability/relic/artifact (anything that isn't a movement command basically.) and from that point forth the player can continue to travel with their celerity alone.

But if the concern is that celerity speeds almost anything players can do in the game (Most notably including questing, hunting... So, gold generation.) along with a realization that utility was offered to the playerbase way too generously... The answer for that might be diminishing returns on stacking celerity really high, instead of making it near meaningless for all purposes (Except combat.) by introducing recovery.
    Jipyik
This discussion has been closed.