Announce post #3120: PK Aura and Early Engagement

7/21/2020 at 15:35
Tiur, the Gnosis
Everyone
PK Aura and Early Engagement

HELP PK has been updated to reflect this post.

If you have some form of PK aura your targets need to have it as well before you may engage them. This means no preemptive attacking or breaking up of groups. An exception is instances of area PK, like foci areas.

This is meant to make structured PK more fun for teams. It does not apply to non-aura stuff.

-T

Penned by my hand on Quensday, the 6th of Chakros, in the year 489 MA.

Comments

• The wording is confusing to me. When does this rule apply? Based on the first part, it sounds like it applies to any conflict based around auras. The exception rules out area PK (lessers, majors, orrery, battlefield zones, etc.), which means that the rule will never come into effect. I'm clearly misreading/misunderstanding this change, so some clarification would be appreciated. 
    StineFezzixOonagh
  • RhyotRhyot Bloodloch
    From my perspective....

It means Carnifex can no longer Warhound Track to people outside aura.
    Luminary can no longer set up rites outside aura.
    You can't be dragged into any fight if you have no aura yourself or thusly standing outside aura.
    You are now allowed to stand right outside of aura area and not be attacked because you have no aura.

Gotta love the hardlining of things that should never have a hardline.

• edited July 2020
    It's frustrating to me that the initial ruling (which has clearly been changed by this ruling) was even made. Shadow players made our reservations known when that ruling was made, but we were ignored. Now it has, from my perspective, caused an outcry from the very side it originally benefited and has been changed again.

Perhaps if Tiur had held the bias meeting instead of lying to one of the interested individuals about a lack of interest from our players, I wouldn't have this growing feeling of frustration and annoyance.

Edit: I feel like I need to point out that this change to the ruling actually changes it back to the original rule, as well, if I'm not mistaken. We had a post (or even posts?) from admin such as Veritas where this was originally how aura was meant to operate. As I stated, we were ignored when we cited those rulings.
    BulrokDarim
  • I don't think you should be catering to people who can't realize they've been left behind and then path track to their leader or someone else in the group.

It's not even physically possible for someone to form a response to those people that isn't "get good", unless you're flat out lying to them.
    Copperhead of the Third Spoke says to you, "Intelligence matrix in moniker Bulrok reveals above average results when compared alongside proximal presence."
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    I sent this as a message, to but that could be lost in spam or something, so here we go:

The only thing I want clarified, really, is the definition on area in the following statement from HELP PK:

"You may not engage someone preemptively, except in cases of area battles like foci areas."

The file says people have to have aura for structured PK, but that single lack of definition (of the word area) creates a loophole some might take advantage of. If someone reads that as geographical area, they will most likely attack someone who could be standing outside the aura, but in the same area. Some areas are too large to be wholly affected by the focus aura, and some foci auras stretch outside geographical areas depending on where the extraction point is located. As an example, I have stood on the Prelatorian Highway, inside PK aura, when the extraction point was in Aureliana. Likewise, I have stood in Mamashi Tunnels, without a PK aura, when a Lesser was extracted further inside the same geographical area.

So, in short, does the phrase I mention above mean that you can attack someone who is in the same geographical area, even if they have yet to step inside the red zone or does area in this context mean red PK zone?

• RijettaRijetta Nowhere Important
    :/
    A low, sultry voice resounds within the depths of your mind, "I look forward to seeing your descent."
  • edited July 2020
    If I'm understanding correctly, the new ruling only applies non-ylem(/area) auras. Sooo, we're still free to preemtively engage in foci, even if they're outside the foci area?

Contrast this with non-area-based aura, like defilement. We are not free to preemptively attack someone from Slyph's Order if we're a dirty Slyph-hating heretic with defilement aura, for example.
    Didi has expressed her esteem of you for the following reason: Smart organized leader.
    Experience Gained: 47720 (Special) [total: 2933660]
    Needed for LVL: 122.00775356245
  • MacavityMacavity Chicago, Il
    how do you even know if someone has aura if you are range and not in the same room as they are? did an aura range ability come out that I am unaware of? and what if multiple people in the same location has aura but one person does not and you kill them thinking they are there to support the group?
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
  • RhyotRhyot Bloodloch
    Macavity said:

how do you even know if someone has aura if you are range and not in the same room as they are? did an aura range ability come out that I am unaware of? and what if multiple people in the same location has aura but one person does not and you kill them thinking they are there to support the group?

1) You can diagnose people if you have the arrtifact to do so.
    2) no.

3) Then one of two things will happen. A) You'll be issued for violating HELP PK rules and get smacked for it. B) You'll get ganged up on by all the affected individual's friends because you killed them without aura.

Have fun everyone!!!

YuraLinDarim
  • BenedictoBenedicto Tentacles Errywhere!
    Macavity said:

what if multiple people in the same location has aura but one person does not and you kill them thinking they are there to support the group?

This is what CONFIG SAFEPK ON or CONFIG SAFEPK WARN was created to prevent. You'll either be unable to hit someone who does not have an open PK aura with the former or get a warning on every aggressive action in big yellow letters with the latter.

XavinLinGavramelMacavitySessizlik
  • Benedicto said:

Macavity said:

what if multiple people in the same location has aura but one person does not and you kill them thinking they are there to support the group?

This is what CONFIG SAFEPK ON or CONFIG SAFEPK WARN was created to prevent. You'll either be unable to hit someone who does not have an open PK aura with the former or get a warning on every aggressive action in big yellow letters with the latter.

for folk who don't usually find themselves in an organic PVP thing (you usually only do the group fights like lessers, majors, orrery) CONFIG SAFEPK ON will prevent you from making any mistakes (it doesn't stop your passives from hitting enemies) for those of us who instigate fights on the regular I highly recommend CONFIG SAFEPK WARN and then triggering the warning to make a big echo, make a sound, or capture to a chat window. I personally capture it to chat and change its color (yellow is my color for emotes so I'm a bit trained to ignore four-word sentences in yellow)
    Toz says, "Dishonor on you (Mjoll), dishonor on your family (Seirath), dishonor on your cow (Bulrok)"
    LinBenedictoMacavity
  • CONFIG SAFEPK OFF YOU COWARDS! KILL EVERYONE AND ACCEPT THE CONSEQUENCES!

(For real, I keep it off, and it's not been a problem. I've yet to have any issues against me upheld, so I think if you pay attention and don't just leave a script running that automatically attacks anything and everything you target, you should be fine. Then again, if you just prefer not to worry about it, I guess that's what the config is there for...!)

On the original subject, though, I think the rule isn't as vague and/or complicated as some folks are making out. Here's a flowchart:

(Congregation): Iosyne says, "I made a cup."

Horkval are a feature...
    TetchtaKodaEnsisHaven
  • Wait a minute, that doesn't actually tell me how to kill people. :(
    SeurimasHawa
  • Czcibor said:

Wait a minute, that doesn't actually tell me how to kill people. :(

Sorry, my b. Try this:

(Congregation): Iosyne says, "I made a cup."

Horkval are a feature...
    TetchtaCzciennHavenMacavityGavramelSessizlik
  • MacavityMacavity Chicago, Il
    Mjoll said:

Benedicto said:

Macavity said:

for folk who don't usually find themselves in an organic PVP thing (you usually only do the group fights like lessers, majors, orrery) CONFIG SAFEPK ON will prevent you from making any mistakes (it doesn't stop your passives from hitting enemies) for those of us who instigate fights on the regular I highly recommend CONFIG SAFEPK WARN and then triggering the warning to make a big echo, make a sound, or capture to a chat window. I personally capture it to chat and change its color (yellow is my color for emotes so I'm a bit trained to ignore four-word sentences in yellow)
    thank you both @Benedicto and @Mjoll for the insightfulness. I was thinking that was the reason for those configs as well but was curious about the passive stuff like in Teradrim and Swelter or Storm still attacking and thought I may have been wrong on that. I appreciate it!

maybe passive skills should be added to that config?
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
    Benedicto
  • CONFIG ENEMYLIST ON/OFF works for negating passives hitting enemies, as it toggles your enemy list on and off.
    GavramelBenedictoLinHawa