Mining Teaser - DevVlog 2

KynaKyna Victoria, Australia
edited July 2020 in Aetolia Development
Hey everyone!

Raz and I have put together another little teaser video to show off some of the new stuff Mining will bring to Aetolia. You can check it out here:

I cover it in the video, but thank you to everyone who has thrown love and support our way, and for the patience to make sure we give it our best.
AloliNisaviJhuraRhineTedrunaiSaidennMjollOonaghAeryxTeaniRhyotBenedictoSeurimas

Comments

• RhyotRhyot Bloodloch
    edited July 2020
    Loving the devlog!!

Questions just off the bat.

1) Considering the vastness of the mines, will veins actually be mined dry over time or will it just be a set and forget type of thing?

2) If ores/veins do run dry, obviously people are going to get quite competitive over possible mine shafts to gather the commodities that they are searching for. As such, if someone having cleared out Section 6:13,44 and nothing is left it in... they need to pick up and move on. Is that tile forevermore empty or will it eventually get rolled with new comms?

3) Evil agro mobs that want to murder Gilbert - Do these respawn after Howling (similar to the elds in the mines) or are they a one and done?

4) Can we name our miners?

• Gnomes are just discount Halflings. Will we be able to hire Goblins to work our mines instead?
    Benedicto
  • BenedictoBenedicto Tentacles Errywhere!
    Iazamat said:

Gnomes are just discount Halflings. Will we be able to hire Goblins to work our mines instead?

Give me some cockney speaking Goblins any old day!
    OonaghLin
  • A cockney lil' Goblin in a bowler hat looks up from his mining, "Oi, me and me brovwer 'ave been workin' in these mines since we were lil' saucepan lids. sometimes we get a ton of gold ter brin' ter the foreman, ovver times just bumps and bruises." and with the declaration he turns his head down and begins pickin at the seam again.
    GavramelTeani
  • RazmaelRazmael Administrator, Immortal
    Rhyot said:

Loving the devlog!!

Questions just off the bat.

1) Considering the vastness of the mines, will veins actually be mined dry over time or will it just be a set and forget type of thing?

2) If ores/veins do run dry, obviously people are going to get quite competitive over possible mine shafts to gather the commodities that they are searching for. As such, if someone having cleared out Section 6:13,44 and nothing is left it in... they need to pick up and move on. Is that tile forevermore empty or will it eventually get rolled with new comms?

3) Evil agro mobs that want to murder Gilbert - Do these respawn after Howling (similar to the elds in the mines) or are they a one and done?

4) Can we name our miners?

1) Yes, veins do deplete over time, making mines a less permanent fixture than farms are. We expect this to take quite a long time (1 to 2 in game years) for all the veins in a mine to be depleted.

2) Unclaimed tiles have their RNG seed rerolled each Howling. Kyna made the mining wilderness maps a lot bigger than the farming wilderness maps with more possible locations in anticipation of this, so we're fairly confident it won't become a problem. Additionally, you can prospect/delve into unclaimed mines when you're close to creating a new one and leave behind a bedroll item that will prevent that tile from being rerandomed so long as it's inside. Though the caveat here is anybody else could still claim that tile.

3) Generally one and done, but there will be certain conditions and events that may have new monsters spawn.

4) Nope! They're named off of a name generator!
  • KynaKyna Victoria, Australia
    Iazamat said:

Gnomes are just discount Halflings. Will we be able to hire Goblins to work our mines instead?

Haha! Aw, they're not a discount! And no, on release it will only be Gnomes given Gorshire is the skill hub and the location of the Gorshire Miner's Syndicate. I'll never not hear a Goblin with any other accent now, though, thanks.
    Benedicto
  • I'd like to file a complaint against this Gnome monopoly that's slowly creeping into the game. They already cornered the crafting market, now they get mining, too? This is unicorns!
    MjollRazmaelOonaghBenedictoNisaviHaven
  • BenedictoBenedicto Tentacles Errywhere!
    Oonagh said:

A cockney lil' Goblin in a bowler hat looks up from his mining, "Oi, me and me brovwer 'ave been workin' in these mines since we were lil' saucepan lids. sometimes we get a ton of gold ter brin' ter the foreman, ovver times just bumps and bruises." and with the declaration he turns his head down and begins pickin at the seam again.

Good grief. Where is your rhyming slang? That's too posh to be proper cockney.
    OonaghTeani
  • MacavityMacavity Chicago, Il
    edited July 2020
    question.....is stone possible from the mines?
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
  • RazmaelRazmael Administrator, Immortal
    Macavity said:

As far as existing commodities go, mining will be giving coal, iron, steel, silver and gold, alongside Farming already giving cloth, rope, wood and leather.
    Seurimas
  • MacavityMacavity Chicago, Il
    Razmael said:

Macavity said:

As far as existing commodities go, mining will be giving coal, iron, steel, silver and gold, alongside Farming already giving cloth, rope, wood and leather.
    **sad face** was really hoping for stone to help build my house out! hehe thanks! I look forward to mining!

Also will we be able to hold multiple mines like in farming and will that be available right away, or will you be holding that back till later like you did in farming?
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
    **sad face** was really hoping for stone to help build my house out! hehe thanks! I look forward to mining! Also will we be able to hold multiple mines like in farming and will that be available right away, or will you be holding that back till later like you did in farming?
    To begin it’ll be the same as Farming, one Mine deed per character, yeah! Once everything is settled we can look at expansion.
    MacavityNisaviOonagh
    We showed off Duiran's and Bloodloch's Mining Maps, so I thought I might share Spinesreach's now that I'm happy with it! This one is located in Telfinne, at the depths of one of the many normally inaccessible chasms

AhlysaariaOonaghMacavityNisaviSeurimasAeryxLinAloli
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    How are these maps made? Do you draw them in an external paint program first?
    edited July 2020
    Lin said:

How are these maps made? Do you draw them in an external paint program first?

Sort of! Aetolia has its own program attached to the game that I can essentially draw on like MS Paint. Alongside drawing the map, I also assign the tile symbols, pick the map size, set the environments and all of the colours.
    MjollMacavityRhyotAeryxLinAhlysaariaAloliAzarae
  • RhyotRhyot Bloodloch
    It's been about six months since the last update/minor reveal of Mining. Are there still plans to release it or has it been put on the back-burner and more emphasis being put on other events that are coming out?

Mostly asking out of curiosity and a bit of transparency sake.

Ardent
  • TiurTiur Producer
    It is not on a back burner, it is just WAY bigger than expected. It will be the next major thing, and this year can just suck it because DANG.

I'm the fool coding the event, woe until everyone.
    ArdentRhyotGavramel
  • So it's been a while, any word on mining/comm production?
    Aeryx