Farkle Improvements

For the sake of @Ceraen's sanity, Farkle will be getting a rewrite! Farkle was the first real prog I ever wrote so naturally it's a convoluted mess. It was something born out of a whim to see if I could do it, and while I'm happy to see it's still alive and kicking years later, I figure it's time to tackle the behemoth and make it in legible code.

On top of just general code streamlining, I would like to get your input from a features point of view. What I have planned:

More combinations: Four-of-a-kind, five-of-a-kind, full house (triple + pair), two-pair. Looking to add more combinations to keep more hot dice coming!

First turn farkle: Eliminating the possibility that you can farkle on your first throw each turn.

I thought about letting you designate multiple scoring combinations at once and score them all simultaneously, but my concern is that this will prompt people to just designate all 5 dice every turn and score them. I feel like this would take away from the strategy/experience. Would love your thoughts on this.

Any other user experience or gameplay additions you have in mind?

DISCLAIMER: No promises at all here on timelines. AT. ALL.

P.S. Go play Bug Rush please :(.
HawaEscelikaRebra

Comments

• i'm not the biggest farkle player - not by a long shot - but i have enjoyed it on the occasions i've played.

my only feedback is that i don't think you should allow multiple scoring combinations simultaneously. i've both won and lost because of missed combinations, and i think that potential for strategy and error is what elevates the game above a simple game of chance. i'd hate to see it go.

thanks for your hard work!
    (Congregation): Iosyne says, "I made a cup."

Horkval are a feature...
    TedrunaiLinTeani
  • SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    *mark a 1, score, reroll*

*immediately get smacked by Hawa and Czcibor for breaking up a straight that I completely missed*

LinHawaTedrunai
  • Keep the randomness of being able to Farkle on your initial Roll. Don't eliminate risks that would otherwise be there if we played this in real life!

On the note of multiple scorings, I don't like it either - unless you introduce special hands, like four-of-a-kind and two-pair, and make it so you have to select the correct dice in order on one scoring.

ex: Dice show: a1 b4 c1 d4 e1 f1, You'd have to do FAKRLE A, then c, e, f, b, d or it won't work.

Introduce a WAGER system where you tell Ira the game has a wager of whatever gold, say 5000, and when you pay him to play you have to give him 5000+500 fee. It'd be up to the players to pool their own gold together. Could even have different options for how the wager's handled, such as Winner-take-all, or Top-two-split or, Best-Worst-split, etc. Limitless possibility for gambling.

TedrunaiTeani
  • AxiusAxius where I am
    ...is it bad I -like- it as it is right now? Also: It uses 6 dice to start, not 5. And I feel like it's -really interesting- with that in mind.

But I'm just a fool with a mind for weights, ratios, and such, and with as much farkle as I've played in the last month... I've gotten a bit of a feel for the code.. and I've wondered if the last week or two has had a few times the code has been nudged where a number was changed here or there, lol.

(P.S. As a code monkey, dirty code is my jam. >.>.. I'm more likely to fix up dirty code more readily than this elegant pretty stuff everyone else insists on doing it.)
  • I like Farkle as it is, four of a kind and such might make it more interesting or might just create larger score differences then would happen otherwise.

Don't remove the ability to Farkle on a first throw, chance still needs to be part of the game.

Interested to see what does change in Farkle as I like playing the current version.

Most important of all though, make it something I can add to a player house!
  • edited July 2020
    Give the dice rolls their own individual colors. So all the ones are the same, the twos, and so on. 

The current color is pretty dark and makes things easily missed. Which I suppose is part of the game, but y'all get the point!

Escelika