Ceraen
Everyone
Ylemnics hobby!

So, you're heading home through the usual paths in your beloved city. You reach
a door, pull out your trusty keyring and stick the key in the door. Thoughts
begin to fill your mind: "I'm a friggin Princess, why do I have to open the
door?!"

Well, fear no longer your highness! The Ylemnics hobby is here, and opening
doors is only scratching at the possibilities!

Ylemnics is a hobby which enables you to create various contraptions by
arranging blocks on something called a thaumizer. The thaumizer uses ylem dust
to power the blocks and interact with itself and the environment. Each type of
block provides rather fundamental functionality, leaving it to your creativity
to come up with exciting and useful contraptions. However, here are just a few
examples of the possibilities:

- Automatically open the door to your home when you arrive.
- Unlock your secret treasure chest only when you're around.
- Dispense drinks to everyone who shows up to your birthday party.
- Create an adding machine so you no longer need a master Numerologist.
- Build a working clock, with no clunky gears and springs.

Blocks come in a wide variety ranging from simple buttons, mathematical
operators and chest-manipulating blocks. There are even blocks to let two
thaumizers communicate together!

Most people encountering thaumizers will be well served by simply reading HELP
YLEMNICS.

However, be forewarned that Ylemnics does have a learning curve. Hence why
there is a rather thick manual describing concepts, groups of blocks and
individual blocks. Due to how much information there is, it has been placed on
the website, rather than the giant helpfile it would be.

You can find this manual here:

https://www.aetolia.com/local/ylemnics/

The hobby costs 1000 lessons. To obtain, simply visit Rappu at v66405 and:

LEARN HOBBY OF YLEMNICS FROM RAPPU

P.S.: The price of a lock and key combo from your local locksmith has been
reduced to 10000 gold, down from 30000. This should make it more affordable to
use chests with Ylemnics, as they must be lockable to work. Simply ATTACH LOCK
TO <chest>.

Penned by my hand on Gosday, the 14th of Slyphian, in the year 488 MA.
EscelikaDrystinLinNisaviRijetta

Comments

• edited June 2020

I should have quoted @Church for this response, I am confused, but also kinda with Ylemnics too...

Either way I esteemed pools for recognition to whoever created this monstrosity of code, you have some super nerds doing nerd stuff already with your creation.
    I will stick to making cakes, but this is an amazing hobby....I think.... once I see the cool stuff being made I will give my official response.
  • RijettaRijetta Nowhere Important
    edited June 2020
    THIS ROCKS. I LOVE THIS. I'm already tinkering with it. I'm making a slot machine that's mean to you if you lose.

WISHLIST:
    - Guild Blocks (limit to guild, like city blocks)
    - "Heard", an anticipator that is looing for a keyword/phrase
    - An anticipator that fires when someone places something in the attuned chest (like a donation box sorta thing)
    - An anticipator like the above, but looking for a specific amount of gold (Could make a whole thing that spits the gold back out if it's the wrong amount, too!)
    - An exhibitor that fires a preset phrase ("Thanks for playing!" etc)

EDIT, ADDITIONAL WISH: A Limiter that lets each person do the thing X number of times - that is, like ONE, but with a tweakable number. So, everyone gets 3 tries, or 200 tries, or whatever.

Whoever made this please knmow that you're amazing, I love you, you're perfect, I hope your life rocks forever.
    A low, sultry voice resounds within the depths of your mind, "I look forward to seeing your descent."
    EscelikaOonaghRazmaelZeheiaMacavity
  • edited June 2020
    Other/similar suggestions, although all of Rijetta's are great:
    - Allow certain exhibitor blocks (e.g. NUM, LIT) to be written on for something like:
    The surface of a number exhibiting block, labelled 'Gold on hand', on a red-accented ylemnic thaumizer morphs to display:
    One hundred and twenty-three thousand, four hundred and fifty-six

- Allow thaumizers to be transferred to a specific city ministry. Alternatively, allow transfer to a specific city, where aides to Development could tweak them like owners.
    - A failure [FAL] exhibitor, that causes the ONE limit not be toggled. (e.g. if there's a chest full of one-per-customer goodies, but the chest is empty; the customer didn't get their one, so let them have a chance later)
    - A payment [PAY] exhibitor, which causes a chest to grab gold on the floor. This would output the amount of gold grabbed.
    - An insert [INS] anticipator, which lets you INSERT item IN thaumizer. If the item stacks with something in the thaumizer or matches the tweaked value, the item is returned to the inserter and '1' is output. Otherwise, the item is just returned.
    - A put [PUT] anticipator, which lets you PUT item IN thaumizer. If the item stacks with something in the thaumizer or matches the tweaked value, the item is left safe in the thaumizer and '1' is output. Otherwise, the item is returned.
    - New artifact, or maybe a ylem ware, or Ruppa item: thaumic resonator. New exhibitor block: resonate [RES]. ATTUNE block TO resonator and, when the exhibitor is activated, the resonator pulses with light in your inventory. The color of that message is based on the input to RES.

Possibly bugs?
    - Let unlocked chests trigger GET/GLD (right now, they just whir noisily for me when the chest is opened). It's not a big impediment, but it's a nuisance during testing.
    Didi has expressed her esteem of you for the following reason: Smart organized leader.
    Experience Gained: 47720 (Special) [total: 2933660]
    Needed for LVL: 122.00775356245
    Macavity
    Ooh I'd like one that maybe limits number of tries and resets those tries on the howling - and maybe be able to set the ONE to reset on howling as well! FULL AUTOMATION!!!
    A low, sultry voice resounds within the depths of your mind, "I look forward to seeing your descent."
    Macavity
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    edited June 2020
    What an insanely fun new toy. The examinations are a perfect way to gradually introduce the player to increasing complexity.

My thoughts on Ylemnics so far:
    • Probably the best use of MXP integration in the entire game. With that said, would love to see right-click functionality on the installed blocks to quickly fill out move/output/value operations as well.
    • I don't know that this is possible, but some way to refer to thaumizers based on the color in which you dye them would greatly save time.
    • The ATTUNE syntax is confusing if you also own a sacrificial dagger. Suggest overriding the dagger's error message if any Ylemnics replica is the target of the ATTUNE verb.
    • The syntax in general, while not at all hard to parse, is a little verbose. It would be super cool to get abbreviations (ex: "TM 123456 B1 C3" moves block B1 to block C3 in thaumizer123456).
    • The DIAL/TURN/TWIST verbs do not accept the word forms of numbers ("ten" vs. "10", etc.).
    • How would you feel about a mini-thaumizer (uses a 5x5 grid, lower max energy storage) that can be used from a player's inventory?
    And the big pie-in-the-sky wishlist of blocks:
    • A sound recording [REC] block that stores heard speech in the room.
    • A text-based variable [TXT] block to store text strings.
    • A sound playing [PLY] block to make the thaumizer speak aloud any text it receives.
    • Delay modifying [DL+] [DL-] blocks that speed up or slow down the thaumizer's response time.
    • A concealment [VIS/HID] block that hides the thaumizer's presence.
    • A fluid-dispensing [FLD] block that can be attuned to kegs or other fluid containers. When receiving a signal, it would dispense a refill into a valid fluid container put into the thaumizer.
    • A cigarette dispensing [CIG] block. Give it a signal, it pops out a cigarette!
    • A firework-lighting [FWK] block, attunable to fireworks and does exactly what it sounds like.
    • A vending [VND] block attunable to chests, that gives the triggering player a random item from its contents.
    • A lobbing [LOB] block. Insert any sort of bomb into the thaumizer and when triggered, it will throw it into the room, complete with its harmful/annoying effects. Destroys the thaumizer and everything inside of it.
    • A self-esteem destroying [BAD] block, that spits out a random insult.
    • Racial detection blocks [IMP/ATV/XRN/etc]! Filter users by race/heritage.
    • A minipet-triggered [PET] block that gives a signal if a minipet enters the room.
    • A minipet-warding [NOP] block that sends a minipet back through the last exit it used (perhaps even silently, to establish pet-free zones).
    • Weight-detection [WG+/WG-] blocks. Accepts a value from 1-4000 and gives a signal if the weight of an item put inside exceeds or fails to exceed its threshold.
    SeurimasRijettaAkaryuterraMacavity
    edited June 2020
    Lin said:

A vending [VND] block attunable to chests, that gives the triggering player a random item from its contents.

Doesn't this exist? GET does this if you don't specify an item number. It's how I made my slot machine!
    AkaryuterraLin
  • Rijetta said:
    A vending [VND] block attunable to chests, that gives the triggering player a random item from its contents.
    Doesn't this exist? GET does this if you don't specify an item number. It's how I made my slot machine!
    Well, GET spits out the item on the floor. Giving it to a player would be nice to have. Of course, if there is no activator (e.g. timer activated) or the activator had left the room, it could work like GET instead.
    Didi has expressed her esteem of you for the following reason: Smart organized leader.
    Rijetta
    Oh, yes, giving it directly to the triggering player would actually be better than my current iteration. Thanks!

Also, I would love a block cache or even some sort of arti to store them and intelligently retrieve them whenever they're included in a command!
  • edited June 2020
    I'd love to see a set of special blocks, which can work alone or modify ONE:
    - [DAY] allows one touch per day resetting at midnight; if ONE is also present it just resets at midnight
    - [WEK] same as above, but resets at howling
    - [MON] same as above, but resets on the 1st at midnight
    - [SNL] same as above, but resets seasonally
    - [YEA] same as above, but resets on the new year

Alternative, add an exhibitor block that resets ONE. Then everything above can be created using timers and some ingenuity.

In the same vein as that, a perceiver block that outputs how many times the thaumizer has been activated by that person (resettable like ONE) would be interesting. Or just a '1' the first time and '0' or nothing the rest of the time.
    Macavity
  • MacavityMacavity Chicago, Il
    I really like this new hobby, and REALLY loving the exams that help to teach you what you need to know as far as basics and building blocks to use the skillset, PLEASE CAN WE HAVE MORE SKILLSETS LIKE THIS!!!

my only issue with it, is that dependency on an URI to read the manual and look at the exams needed to advance the skill. I am not familiar of any thing in the game requiring an outside source like this. I wonder if this is a trial run of something like this, and if that is the case, I would rather it be in a help file, and the exams be their own additional help file like others are, or add the exam part into the AB files themselves.
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
    Seurimas
  • edited June 2020
    Another anticipator idea:
    • A shopped [SHO] anticipator, which outputs the number of items just bought. Create your own thaumizer-driven promotions. Buy 1000 pills? Get a free sigil! Could be tweaked so that only a particular shelf triggers it (i.e. TWEAK THAUMIZER A1 VALUE 1 -> only purchases from shelf 1 will trigger it).
    • A time limit [TLI] special block, which disables the thaumizer after each activation. After a tweak value duration has elapsed, it's enabled again. Would work with the failure [FAL] exhibitor, so it could be disabled only in certain circumstances.
    • Alternative/addition to above, making interaction blocks be toggleable (e.g. if you route a positive input into a PRS block, the thaumizer is no longer PRESSable) could open up the above functionality and a lot of other uses.
    • Random other idea: If we do start having new blocks come out... can they be unlockable? I'd love to have to invest gold, time, and maybe ylem shards researching new blocks, that I could then fashion out of obsidian or something.
  • Hi, Celani! While I like that we have a new hobby, is there a chance that the older hobby Gaming could be looked at? A lot of it doesn't work and it has languished for awhile. It makes me a little apprehensive to buy into another hobby when the first is kind of in its current state of incompletion/not working.
    StineEscelikaVharenOemeriaJhin
  • TiurTiur Producer
    I am, as we speak, fixing some of it!
    NisaviSeurimasEscelikaLinJhin
  • Tiur said:

Thank yoooooou.
  • Tiur said:

Yay! If you happen to find it's not too difficult... gridship and line connect would be great distractions from any lingering issues!
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    edited May 2021
    I'm really glad this inspired Gaming to get fixed. I was astonished to see the state in which it was released

edit: this comment aged badly
    I just have to say, I have greatly enjoyed transing this skill set!! The exams were awesome, that allowed to explain what you could do with it, but I know there is oh so much more we can do with it! The exams were just enough info to get you to what you needed, but did not give it all away, and allowed you to tinker with it and figure it out with some trial and error on some of them.

can we PLEASE have more stuff like this!! I cannot say how much I have LOVED working on this!!

wish there was a Trans skill that gave you more exams, like a faction with a daily quest maybe? that would be awesome, and a great way to introduce new possibilities that the player base has not come up with on their own?
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

artifact idea: an item where we can put in the blocks and they do not decay while inside?
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

LinTekias
    edited July 2020
    Idea: a block that blocks inspect thaumizer if it is not owned by you, to keep people from seeing the circuits

you know for those sneaky devices to be used in sneaky ways! hehe
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Seurimas
    edited July 2020
    Another Idea: Allow us to build schematics in a draft where we can have access to all blocks and thaumizer without actually having them in our hands. LIke we can build what we think will work, with trial and error and once we feel like we have the design we want, we then know how much of what blocks to buy. That way we do not have to buy a ton of blocks only to find we really needed much less or the opposite.

Also with the limited number of blocks in the shop currently, this would help to cut back on the possibility of blocks being sold out, when more people start to work with this skill

also with the draft idea, allow a shopping list, where we can use the schematic to buy all the blocks we need for that item

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

allow RCV blocks to be attuned to the SND thaumizer so you can have two RCV blocks and output different colors based on which SND thaumizer responded

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

a block that passes a value from the VAR on to the next block. so that you can build multiple compare lines for different outputs
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

issue: cannot attach impact sigil to thaumizer, is this by design?
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

• Macavity said:
    a block that passes a value from the VAR on to the next block. so that you can build multiple compare lines for different outputs
    If I'm understanding correctly, I think most of the math blocks will do this, if no other inputs are provided. VAR can also have multiple outputs.
    Macavity
    Seurimas said:

Macavity said:

If I'm understanding correctly, I think most of the math blocks will do this, if no other inputs are provided. VAR can also have multiple outputs.

ah I see it in the manual, I missed it, thank you. Just seems to me that those blocks would not be a function like that in a logical sense. I figured the VAR block would take input and pass it along if one is not set for it already.

thanks!
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

• TekiasTekias Wisconsin
    Since thaumizers have to be put down to work, a new skill in Ylemnics (or VISION LISTS) that shows you your thaumizers and their locations.
    Formerly: Spiegel. Eidycue.

Hi.

Macavity
    Tekias said:

Since thaumizers have to be put down to work, a new skill in Ylemnics (or VISION LISTS) that shows you your thaumizers and their locations.

I totally like this idea, but I can see issues now that we can create our own thaumizers with crafting. Maybe we can have a block that we install ourselves, that will then cause the device to show up in lists or ylemnic skill. This block should not be able to be uninstalled but only by the owner
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

• TekiasTekias Wisconsin
    Macavity said:

Tekias said:

I totally like this idea, but I can see issues now that we can create our own thaumizers with crafting. Maybe we can have a block that we install ourselves, that will then cause the device to show up in lists or ylemnic skill. This block should not be able to be uninstalled but only by the owner
    I forgot about crafting. Yeah, I'd back needing a block installed to show up.
    Formerly: Spiegel. Eidycue.

Hi.