Mining Teaser - DevVlog

KynaKyna Victoria, Australia
edited December 2019 in Aetolia Development
Hey folks!

Razmael and I are excited to show you some more of the fun things in Mining and this time, we decided to put it in a DevVlog!

Please enjoy and feel free to leave your feedback.
RijettaMinaretHammarNeomaAloliAeryxIazamatTedrunaiSeurimasZailaDrystinSekeresDarim

Comments

• It looks great! Can't wait to play with it <3_<3
    Toz says, "Dishonor on you (Mjoll), dishonor on your family (Seirath), dishonor on your cow (Bulrok)"
  • RijettaRijetta Nowhere Important
    edited December 2019
    More dev videos or @Tiur is gonna get the clamps.

Though, I'm curious how 'automated' we can get things - I'm referring to games like Rimworld or Dwarf Fortress or Factorio, where after some manual effort, you can set certain things up to work with only maintenance on your part. I.E., being more of a Mine Foreman than a Miner.

Actually, a really good example of this might be Planetary Interaction in EVE Online - you do all the scouting and pay the setup cost, and have to manage your supply and production lines, but once everything is set up, you can go collect from your factories, and either ferry it to more advanced factories or sell as-is. I really love things like that. Lots of pre-planning, then sit back and watch your little robots do their work.
    A low, sultry voice resounds within the depths of your mind, "I look forward to seeing your descent."
  • KynaKyna Victoria, Australia
    Rijetta said:

Though, I'm curious how 'automated' we can get things - I'm referring to games like Rimworld or Dwarf Fortress or Factorio, where after some manual effort, you can set certain things up to work with only maintenance on your part. I.E., being more of a Mine Foreman than a Miner.

Actually, a really good example of this might be Planetary Interaction in EVE Online - you do all the scouting and pay the setup cost, and have to manage your supply and production lines, but once everything is set up, you can go collect from your factories, and either ferry it to more advanced factories or sell as-is. I really love things like that. Lots of pre-planning, then sit back and watch your little robots do their work.

I don't want to give away tooooo much but, mining isn't just about bashing rocks with a sharp tool (there will definitely be some of that!) - it also involves being a Foreman/Overseer. However, to temper expectations a bit, we're not looking at the full-on automation craziness that something like Factorio has, and definitely not a complete management sim, but something smaller - something between those examples and just getting down and dirty in the mines yourself.

RijettaAloli
  • RhyotRhyot Bloodloch
    Feedback: I'm loving the devlog and I'm excited to become a miner.

Questions:

When you blow up stalagmites (in this case ice), will they come back or are they a one and done type of thing?

How long do torches last? Will this be something we need to consistently monitor?

Will the bandits/monsters that need to be killed scale with a persons level, much like it does with the mines?

• I loved the short video and am looking forward to mining.
    And @Kyna yes it was definitively cookie worthy, thanks
  • AloliAloli Between Books
    This is so exciting, thank you for sharing.

It doesn't have the look of something you should rush through, it really does feel like you can (and have to) spend time in your mine doing everything and it looks like you need to come prepared too.

I absolutely love the background music you had playing too!
    Between what is said and not meant, and what is meant and not said, most of love is lost. - Khalil Gibran
  • RazmaelRazmael Administrator, Immortal
    Rhyot said:

Feedback: I'm loving the devlog and I'm excited to become a miner.

Questions:

When you blow up stalagmites (in this case ice), will they come back or are they a one and done type of thing?

How long do torches last? Will this be something we need to consistently monitor?

Will the bandits/monsters that need to be killed scale with a persons level, much like it does with the mines?

1) The stalagmites won't respawn.

2) There will be some mechanics surrounding them, but we don't really have an active replacement requirement planned for them (on a mass scale at least).

3) Yes, it will scale to a degree since we don't want you to have to be endgame to do mining.
    AloliRijetta
  • RhyotRhyot Bloodloch
    As this is the second devlog to be released, are we getting closer to a possible reveal timeframe?? Such as Q1/2/3/4 of 2020??

Or are we going to stick with Soon TM?

Hey everyone!

Just a quick update on Mining for you.

As I'm sure you've already assumed, we won't make Q1. A lot of factors contribute to it, but the biggest is that I'm a volunteer. Sometimes I take a break to save myself from burnout.

However, we have continued to work on it, albeit at a slower pace and Q2 is now the goal. In the podcast, we suggested April, however I'm broadening it to Q2 as a whole given the strain, and stress, the current status of the world is placing on people, and their families, for various reasons.

On that though, I hope to have another DevBlog for you in the next few weeks so you can see how much development there has been.

Stay safe out there, folks. The world is a crazy place at the moment. Wash your hands. Don't touch your face. Stay at home when you can.
    RebraSeurimasTaiyangRhineAzaraeBruinAloliSekeres
  • Would telling us what the third skill will be (after mining comes out) be too much?

I'm holding back learning farming because I'm almost positive I want Mining and unsure if I'll want to pick up the third skill. Knowing the name would give me some idea.

I'm really excited about mining and can't wait to engage in it. I've watched the video a few times and I'm going to jump into it on release!
  • MacavityMacavity Chicago, Il
    Escelika said:

Would telling us what the third skill will be (after mining comes out) be too much?

I'm holding back learning farming because I'm almost positive I want Mining and unsure if I'll want to pick up the third skill. Knowing the name would give me some idea.

I'm really excited about mining and can't wait to engage in it. I've watched the video a few times and I'm going to jump into it on release!

typically when things like this happens, they will allow us to invest everything we have from one skillset to the next one. Case in point Mercantile was done like that, like Enchanting since it was a class skill, you had the option to transfer it to another mercantile.

so that is still an option if they allow it later, also depends on how many agriculture skills they allow us to have.
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
    Escelika
  • I could have sworn they said you'd be able to get a full refund once all 3 were released. So, there should be no FOMO for the third skill.
    Didi has expressed her esteem of you for the following reason: Smart organized leader.
    Experience Gained: 47720 (Special) [total: 2933660]
    Needed for LVL: 122.00775356245
    Escelika
  • TekiasTekias Wisconsin
    Macavity said:

so that is still an option if they allow it later, also depends on how many agriculture skills they allow us to have.

They did say we can have two of the three.
    Formerly: Spiegel. Eidycue.

Hi.

Escelika
  • TiurTiur Producer
    You can have two of the three, and we will indeed offer a transfer when they're all done. I can't do much about gold/time invested, but for sure the skills will trade over. So grab Farming and Mining, enjoy, when the third comes you'll be fine.
    EscelikaGavramel
  • RhyotRhyot Bloodloch
    Do we have a better or more closely determined release date for mining? We're getting to the end of Q2 and nothing seems to have been hinted and we haven't had any new Devlogs (would love to see more). Will it be pushed back to Q3 or Q4?

ArosRhineAeryx
  • AeryxAeryx Docking Nipsy's pay
    Yeah, any sort of like, insight, or anything at all really...would be much appreciated.
    Childhood's over the moment you know you're gonna die.
  • Tiur said:

You can have two of the three, and we will indeed offer a transfer when they're all done. I can't do much about gold/time invested, but for sure the skills will trade over. So grab Farming and Mining, enjoy, when the third comes you'll be fine.

This is what I needed to hear to start trying out Farming!

I can't afford them now, but will there be a similar trade/swop for the related artifacts in one skill for the ones in another? If that's possible.
  • TiurTiur Producer
    I hadn't thought about artifacts! Someone remind me if I've weighed in on that already?
    Aloli
    Hey! Unfortunately, but in some ways fortunate, I have had to work through (and not at home) the pandemic which has been absolutely crazy. Alongside that, I burnt out on Aetolia and decided to take a break for myself for four weeks to regroup.

At the moment, we're still trying to meet Q2, it has been a little difficult balancing it alongside Raz's other projects. He's a busy bee and the coder brain on Mining.

I understand Q2 only has 2.5 weeks left, however we'll see how we go. If it changes, as before, I'll post something!
    SeurimasRhyotCzciennOonaghXavinSibattiAeryxGavramel
  • Hi, I totally understand. Please don't take this as a criticism, but don't you think it'd be better to just say we're not going to make Q2 and if it does come in Q2 everyone is going to be happy. If not, well, we were told way in advance that it wasn't going to happen. As players, often discontent about features taking too long to come out comes from expectations being set and then disappointment when things don't go as planned.
    MjollRijettaXavinGavramelAloli
    Hi folks, unfortunately we won't be making the Q2 deadline. We won't give another deadline at this stage, but I can promise we're making great progress! As a thank you for your continued patience, we'll be working on a new preview video sometime late in the coming week.
    SeurimasAeryxOonaghAloliNisaviArosGavramelCzciennRebra
  • Kyna said:

Hi folks, unfortunately we won't be making the Q2 deadline. We won't give another deadline at this stage, but I can promise we're making great progress! As a thank you for your continued patience, we'll be working on a new preview video sometime late in the coming week.

That's alright! Thank you guys for the work that you do. It is appreciated.
    RhyotKodaOonaghArosGavramelAloliDidi
    Hey guys, Kyna and I finished recording a new video earlier today. We'll have it to you as soon as someone with access to the IRE youtube can upload it for us (probably tomorrow, or later today if you're just waking up to read this!). Going to close this thread and we'll open up a new one tomorrow when I have the link.
    EphiMacavityRhineLinNisaviRebraEscelikaSeurimasAloli
    Hey folks, the video may end up being tomorrow now as I haven't caught Jeremy around at all today (it's a sunday for him to be fair). It's sitting in his inbox though!

though I'm still hoping he'll see it before he goes to bed
    Aloli
This discussion has been closed.