Mildly Irritating: Aetolia's Pet Peeves

Comments

• You want SOME scarcity, or we're back where we were a few years ago where commodities are too abundant and cheap and the in game economy doesn't matter. I like the idea of a player run economy being another source of competition and conflict in the game.

My gripe with production is the clothier. The TPI in the production facilities for a single strip of leather is about a tenth of the TPI for a single cloth, but it takes much longer to be able to raise a cow to maturity than it does to grow (and subsequently regrow) cotton.

In a vacuum, this sounds like a fair tradeoff. Leather has fast TPI but is slow to cultivate. Cloth has slow TPI but is fast to cultivate. Production facilities, however, make you wait in line behind everyone else. This simple fact heavily skews the numbers and drastically increases the TPI in the clothier.

If you want to keep commodity scarcity in place, I'd suggest either lowering the TPI in the clothier while proportionally increasing the time for cotton/hemp to grow, or removing the queue from the production facilities entirely and having each order processed simultaneously. Do the math and balance the TPI and crop growth around that principle.
    AxiusSeurimasZaila
  • I made a thread about the commodity issue so people can discuss, so we don't take up this thread anymore! Go discuss!

https://forums.aetolia.com/discussion/3534/commodity-production-ideas/p1?new=1
    ArdentTeani
  • You run a hand over the surface of a mirror of the unknown and gaze into its depths as its surface ripples in response.

Fog of Creation.

There are no obvious exits.

CzciennTeaniAloli
  • edited May 2020
    Double post but I don't care.

Having rooms that are no longer connected to prime in any way still count toward explorers is also pretty frustrating.

Shop stockrooms. Edit: Yes, I'm aware you can burrow into 3/4 of them. That's not the point.

Rooms that are behind guild entrances despite the announce post saying that guild rooms shouldn't count.

All mildly irritating.
    DrystinEscelikaCzciennZailaTeaniAloli
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    Five years later and the Hunting Grounds cooldown is still obscenely long.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    Aloli
  • I know, I know. Mechanics often trump RP, and this is a vastly different game in a lot of respects than when I last played Atrapoema, but it will never fail to annoy me how easily and flippantly people bring up aura IC in the way that they do. "You killed me without aura" just sounds so incredibly meta and OOC to me.
    HavenSibattiLinEscelikaZailaRhineSeurimasArosCayn
  • I also dislike the complaining over death.

If you don't have aura when they attack it's given to you so you don't lose anything, right? I figure if you're in the area fighting is happening, expect to fight and potentially die.

Happened to me a number of times and while annoying, it feels better to just let it slide.
    ZailaDrystinRhineChurch
  • edited May 2020
    No, if you don't have aura and don't fight back you will die without aura and will have the xp loss that comes with it.

I also think aura exists for a reason and we should try our best to respect it. Sure, everyone has had that moment where they are overeager and attack someone who they thought had aura. No big deal if it happens occasionally, but once we start taking the attitude that it's just a thing we can ignore when we feel like it's just going to be a race to the bottom.
    Escelika
  • ZailaZaila Pacific Time
    edited May 2020
    My only subnote to agreeing with @Escelika is that my annoyance about people complaining over a single death is that I have no qualm with people complaining ICly, only OOCly!

By all means, your character can scream about injustice and retribution till the cows come home!

(but yeah, just "being attacked" doesn't give you aura)
    EscelikaDrystinMephistolesCayn
  • BenedictoBenedicto Tentacles Errywhere!
    People who get straight up in your ear after losing a fight in game, complaining and cussing you out but you can't tell whether it's intended to be an OOC or IG tell.
    DrystinEleneZailaAloliRhineCayn
  • edited May 2020
    Benedicto said:

People who get straight up in your ear after losing a fight in game, complaining and cussing you out but you can't tell whether it's intended to be an OOC or IG tell.

I have a similar sort of peeve, but for when people win. I've had experiences with a handful of people across IRE who'll immediately start telling you what you did wrong, without you even saying so much as a word to them afterwards. I'm sure they think they're coming across as helpful, but if I don't ask there's a solid chance that either
    - a) I already know or
    - b) Am capable of figuring it out myself.
    Either way it really just makes you seem like an obnoxious dick.

If someone asks, by all means help them out. If they don't ask, then a simple "Good fight." works, even if you know it wasn't. Or just staying silent.
    TeaniZailaBenedictoHavenCaynSibatti
  • Regarding Aura, there's specifically a config for this. Using it will prevent most of those complaints.

Aloli
  • This damn bug that randomly turns my singularity effects off is really, really annoying me.
    Czcienn
  • You should try Ascendril. Half the effects have a very short duration and those that don't are actually only on half the time, with no way for you to tell if they're actually working.
    OonaghNisaviBenedictoXavinMoxie
  • edited May 2020
    So I recently put a BUG in for this...

BUG So we cannot induct/invite people into Bamathis congregation who are interested in joining. If this has anything to do with the whole blow up OOC, it would have been nice to have been informed of it on an Order level by our Patron.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Thank you for submitting Bug #15146. You will be informed of its resolution.
    Use BUG 15146 to view it or add comments at any time.
    If this bug is related to credits, or one of your artifacts not working, please delete this bug and
    file it as an issue instead.
    You have not set a priority bug yet, consider setting one with BUG <#> PRIORITY.
    ---------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: YAY FIXED!
  • I found my very first lesser and promptly lost it in a fight. Grumble grumble PK.
  • Taiyang said:
    I found my very first lesser and promptly lost it in a fight. Grumble grumble PK.
    Don't give up! PK is complex but if you stick with it you'll get better. 
    OonaghTaiyang
  • @Taiyang - Honestly as someone has hasnt really PK'd since using ZMUD as a client and macros as a monk, ive found alot of support here in learning and reviewing combat.
    Sect...despite it being silly does have decent sportsmanship in learning some stuff and discussing methods with adversaries, not all of them, but a good amount of them.

I've been doing better, and actually am coding myself...which is terrifying and fun.
    You can do it too!
    DrystinTaiyang
  • RazmaelRazmael Administrator, Immortal
    Oonagh said:

So I recently put a BUG in for this...

BUG So we cannot induct/invite people into Bamathis congregation who are interested in joining. If this has anything to do with the whole blow up OOC, it would have been nice to have been informed of it on an Order level by our Patron.

Nah looks like it's been disabled for about a month now. Should be fixed, since it wasn't intentional (and I'm pretty sure it was my fault when I jumped on Severn and tried to close Severn's congregation but I guess it affected Bama's instead).
    SeurimasOonaghCzciennMjoll
  • Bet 22 of those are rags.
    BenedictoZaila
  • edited May 2020
    Czcibor said:

Bet 22 of those are rags.

19 were because I didn't get all 22 venoms (but I'm Zealot now so whatevs). Rest were a toss up between vials, clothes and other random shit.
    CzciennHavenZaila
  • SibattiSibatti Mamba dur Naya Amidst vibrant flora and trees
    edited May 2020
    Ah, I guess this isn't really a pet peeve and more of a "curious observation"

There's been a weird thing I've noticed since coming back where people will send me things from recycled letters. So, the person who sent it wasn't necessarily the person whose mark is on the letter. Great for subterfuge, bad if you're trying to send someone a gift and get sad when they don't thank you proper!

Hopefully it's the former and I'm just getting involved in some intrigue. :D

DarimHavenZaila
  • Probably sounding like a broken record now, but the commodity situation is really, really discouraging. I hate that my only recourse is to basically tell my city that they can't buy the commodities that are vital to their skills because we will run out of supply and there's little we can do about it.
    MjollKarhast
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    edited May 2020
    Changing flame sigil to obsidian was a good start but really only a half-measure. At the very least do something like make monos/cubes only cost 1 gold 1 silver respectively, if not make them a less important comm altogether.
    Karhast
  • The whole of the enchantment skillset is hungry for gold and silver. Likewise the jewelcrafting tradeskill. Furniture and woodcrafting are gluttons for the wood commodity, and furniture and tailoring devour cloth like nothing.

The commodity situation has been out of hand for a long time now and it's not getting any better. I don't know why it was acceptable to turn off the generation of commodities and then let the game languish without a replacement method for generation of those commodities for literal years.

Karhast
  • edited May 2020
    I quit Enchanting altogether, I dont have enough energy to give handys in Esterport everytime I need Silver or Elemental Ice.

Then again, commodity market has been screwed up for the better part of a decade, it took ten years for us to run out....officially..(Not too shabby)

The days of being a Bloodlochian marching troops to their death only while people chucked spears at me at the Bloodloch eastern entrance.
    There USED to be a war system for some of you new players to produce commodities, thats when we had a means of making commodities with war lines.
  • RhyotRhyot Bloodloch
    You could always try to work within the means of the game and try to strike a comm deal with other cities if you're hurting that badly.

While comms are a heavy thing for everything, there's multiple ways of making sure your city stays afloat.

• That's sort of not the point. The point is that comm generation was shut off years ago with what feels like a "we'll deal with it later" attitude. It's now a problem for several skill sets, and the comms that -can- be made are terribly bottlenecked to the point where it will take a real life year for a city to make back its investment in comm production if the comms being produced only go to the city.

• TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    @Xavin, sure, I agree, it is bottlenecked, and it's difficult to get things, but I believe Spinesreach did fairly well when holding a longterm donation competition. Rhyot's post was just to point out that there are ways to keep things going. It might spark some people to give up a part of their private stash if they have a chance to win credits. I'm sure there are people out there who still hold on to large quantities of commodities "in case they might need them".