Announce post #3073: Great Hunt For Things to Do

3/18/2020 at 20:07
Tiur, the Gnosis
Everyone
Great Hunt For Things to Do

It's time for a Great Hunt! I'm sure most everyone is stuck inside, so let's have some fun and give out prizes!
Read HELP GREAT HUNT for more information.

Schedule
Start: GMT 2020/03/21 00:00:01
ET 2020/03/20 20:00:01
PT 2020/03/20 17:00:01
AEDT 2020/03/21 11:00:00
End: 48 hours later

Prizes
1st: 400cr
2nd: 350cr
3rd: 300cr
4th: 250cr
5th: 200cr
6th: 150cr
7th: 100cr
8th: 100cr
9th: 50cr
10th: 50cr

Note: The level 1-98 tier will receive credits as bound, and the level 99+ credits will be unbound.

As is our new tradition, we are normalizing damage across 1-98 so that they compete more evenly. This also lets you swing a bit above your weight class!

EVERYONE GETS PRIZES
100 Points = 5 Bound Credits
1000 Points = 10 Bound Credits
2500 Points = 15 Bound Credits

The EVENTS command will help you time things. I don't want any misunderstandings with times, so make sure your CONFIG TIMEZONE is correct!

Penned by my hand on Kinsday, the 7th of Slyphian, in the year 486 MA.
Seurimas

Comments

• So I noticed there were a few things Aet does differently in their great hunts, and I had a question...

1-98 is its own bracket, but what about the areas themselves? Will someone like... Say Jhin's, or Iesid's level, get points for hunting somewhere like, I dunno, Mamashi tunnels? That is to say, will they gain points hunting somewhere very much below their level?

In Imperian it was kinda awful to be a level 80 person casually hunting an area that's meant for level 70-80s, only to have some heavily-decked out level 130+ person come ploughing through the area 10x faster than you could manage.
  • RhyotRhyot Bloodloch
    Yes. All mobs are worth points. If you hunt Mamashi Tunnels, those mobs are worth around 3 points each I believe, no matter what your level is.

• TiurTiur Producer
    Most of our big hunters would skip those places for being worth too few points. Also, they'll use relics to make instances of zones and not be bashing the same mobs as others. BUT, if something gets abused and it interferes with normal progression, let us know! We can do a couple things to try to alter it.
  • RhyotRhyot Bloodloch
    Not necessarily. Sometimes the harder areas where the mobs are worth more points take longer to kill than the mobs you one shot for 3-4 points. So in some cases, bashing the lower level areas is actually more beneficial than end game areas... simply because you can rinse through them faster.

Lin
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    Yeah I'm by no means the most powerful basher, but I used to place in Great Hunts by clearing out low areas like Drakuum or Ayhesa, it's way better points per second. 
  • RhyotRhyot Bloodloch
    Lin said:

Yeah I'm by no means the most powerful basher, but I used to place in Great Hunts by clearing out low areas like Drakuum or Ayhesa, it's way better points per second. 

And that's what the Great Hunt is about. PPS or points per second. Its not about how long you can hunt or the mobs you can hunt, but rather how quick you can kill lower level mobs. That's how its always been, that's how it always will be.

Lin
  • Yeah that's exactly why I asked what I asked.

If a high level area is dangerous, and worth 5 points per mob. People are just gonna steamroll midbie areas that give 2-3 points because it's a lot less effort and almost surely works out to much higher points. Double spawn rates only exacerbates the issue, because it means they can hunt it twice as often.
  • From experience, yeah, 99+ folks dip into non-endgame hunting areas plenty, but that's just the lay of the land. I leveled an alt from high 70's to well into 98 during the last great hunt, though (without a mint! Because I'm crazy), so there's plenty of experience to be had. And you're competing with people who have to deal with the same scarcity issues.
    Didi has expressed her esteem of you for the following reason: Smart organized leader.
    Experience Gained: 47720 (Special) [total: 2933660]
    Needed for LVL: 122.00775356245
  • TiurTiur Producer
    Maybe we can rejigger the points!
  • It's just that most players are endgame and when there are Great Hunts there really aren't enough areas to go around so it makes sense for some people to go to lower areas so they have less downtime from trying to find mobs to kill.
  • edited March 2020
    Tiur said:

Maybe we can rejigger the points!

It would make sense to increase the cap to maybe 10 points per mob, rather than 5. Don't lower the points on anything. Something to think about for the next one. (please don't change points mid hunt like MKO did T_T)