Announce post #3072: Credit milestones

3/9/2020 at 0:53
Razmael, the Synthesist
Everyone
Credit milestones

You can now earn credits each day in Aetolia through the milestones system!

Using the new credit milestones, you can earn up to twenty platinum keystones each day which can be exchanged in the milestone shop for a single bound credit each. You can earn keys by completing a list of tasks outlined under MILESTONES CREDITS, and then claiming them. But, WARNING: you can only lay claim to TEN credit milestone rewards each day! That means if you only complete and claim the milestones that reward 1 key each, you won't be able to reach the daily maximum of 20 platinum keystones received.

Each credit milestone rewards between 1 to 4 platinum keys, and a handful of milestones each RL day will be marked as a bonus which will reward double their normal keys. At Howling each day, any of your unclaimed or completed credit milestones will reset back to 0, and the bonus milestones will shuffle.

If you have unclaimed milestones when Howling comes around the system will automatically claim them for you starting with the highest key rewarding ones first. No fear of missing out because you forgot to claim manually before logging out!

This list of credit milestones is by no means final - it's just what I consider to be the bare minimum for a release! We wanted to get this out ASAP so you can start earning, and we will add more milestones as time goes by.

New syntaxes overview:
----------------------
MILESTONES CREDITS
You can also use CM or MC for shorthand to check this. Lists all credit milestones available and your progress towards them. You can additionally append a filter to the command (e.g. MC BONUS) to narrow the list down. Current filters are:
- BONUS, only show today's bonus.
- UNCLAIMED, only show completed but unclaimed milestones.
- DONE, only show completed and claimed milestones.

MILESTONES CLAIM <#>
When you have completed a credit milestone, claim it and receive the platinum keystones for it.
Warnings: - You can only claim ten credit milestones per day.
- You can only receive twenty platinum keystones per day.

Penned by my hand on Gosday, the 23rd of Lleian, in the year 486 MA.
SavasDrystinStineBenedictoTaiyangLinCzciennRebraSeurimasAeryxZaila

Comments

• edited March 2020
    Suggestions for @Razmael @Tiur @Keroc :

-Change 'kill 50 NPCs with someone under 80' to 'kill 50 NPCs with someone under 99'
    -Change 'win two games of farkle' to 'play two games of farkle' or 'win one game of farkle'
    -Change 'win two games of line connect' to 'play two games of line connect' or 'win one game of line connect'
    -Change 'win two games of Triptycha' to 'play two games of Triptycha' or 'win one game of Triptycha'
    -Add 'repeat a task that awards a fame line' as a 1 keystone reward.
    -Add 'obtain X amount of ylem' as a 1 keystone reward. (minors/lessers/killing eld)
    -Add 'obtain a city/guildfavor' as a X keystone reward.
    -Add 'have a bug/typo/idea you submitted resolved' as a X keystone reward.
    -Add 'offer X essence' as a 1 keystone reward.
    -Add 'turn in X amount of ylem mist' as a Y keystone reward.
    -Add 'revive a dead player with any skill or the tear of Lleis' as a 1 keystone reward. (?)
    -Add a refer-a-friend via registration milestone.
    -Increase the 'participate in the Orrery' keystone from 1 to 2 or even 3. (imo)
    -Change 'win an arena spar' to 'participate in an arena spar'.
    -Probably remove or change the 'win roulette by betting on a specific number'. Maybe make it 'win X amount of gold from roulette'.

These are my initial thoughts.

edit: I would vastly prefer most of the 'win' milestones to be changed to 'participate' milestones, or I feel people are just going to game it. At least, when it comes to the farkle/line connect/triptycha. People should have fun playing actual games rather than feeling obligated to lose because their friends need a milestone. I also think more emphasis should be put on milestones to increase new player retention and acquisition; a refer-a-friend system would help with this.

TekiasRazmaelDrystinLinTaiyangZailaStineSeurimasAloli
  • RhyotRhyot Bloodloch
    Im not sure whats wrong with taking a loss. When I get the bronze milestones to play Triptycha games, I literally just burn through the game. Im not playing to win, because I dont care. There's no negative affect from losing a simple game. 

So you let your opponent win. In the end, you're still having fun.

• There's nothing wrong with taking a loss. It'd just be a lot more fun if you weren't obligated to do so, and were able to play games with friends for the milestone while also having fun, by not caring about who wins or loses.

Some people enjoy those minigames and play them for reasons other than keystones, though the keystones are pretty good incentive. Slapping a 'win' condition on a game of farkle just makes it more likely that my friends and I are going to breeze through the games without caring, to ensure we get the milestones. If there was no 'win' condition, I think people would be more likely to actually play the game rather than forcing wins/losses.
    ZailaStineLin
  • I think it's more likely to lead to people playing more games, because they don't want to quit until they get their wins, rather than 'trading' wins back and forth.
    Rhine
  • Another suggestion, just because I noticed there was a change to the formatting in CREDIT REPORT to imply there might be other daily rewards besides daily lessons:
    * Let us choose to access a 2 or 3 platinum keystone task "Platinum Milestone Daily Membership Reward". If you've already gotten your daily lessons today, it kicks in the next day.
    It might be nice for folks who don't need lessons or folks who have trouble reaching their 20.
    Didi has expressed her esteem of you for the following reason: Smart organized leader.
    Experience Gained: 47720 (Special) [total: 2933660]
    Needed for LVL: 122.00775356245
  • RhyotRhyot Bloodloch
    Savas said:
    There's nothing wrong with taking a loss. It'd just be a lot more fun if you weren't obligated to do so, and were able to play games with friends for the milestone while also having fun, by not caring about who wins or loses. Some people enjoy those minigames and play them for reasons other than keystones, though the keystones are pretty good incentive. Slapping a 'win' condition on a game of farkle just makes it more likely that my friends and I are going to breeze through the games without caring, to ensure we get the milestones. If there was no 'win' condition, I think people would be more likely to actually play the game rather than forcing wins/losses.

Whats stopping you from play a few quick games of farkle/blackjack/triptycha to get milestones and then continue with a real game after? Yes, some people like playing the minigames, but talking to your opponent and being like "Mind if we make this a quick game? I need a milestone completion." Honestly makes for a great segue into a RP opportunity.

Person: So why triptycha?
    Rhyot: The games are quick and I dont like farkle.
    Person *after placing a tile*: Why dont you like farkle?
    Rhyot: (insert answer here)
    Person: Oh. So what all else do you do for milestones? 
    Rhyot: (insert other milestones he does)

• I honestly don't see why some people are arguing in favor of a more tedious system that essentially supports cheating the spirit of the game. To elucidate; not only does throwing two games each take twice as long, it's also deliberately gaming the system for your benefit.

Sure, it's possible to throw a few games and then have a real one. Sure, it might lead to people playing more games in a perfect world. In reality, neither of these things are ideal. Perhaps a compromise could be found in changing 'win two games' to 'participate in three or four games' if people are truly passionate about their minigames. I honestly didn't think it was that big of a deal and if people really like to play the games, they'll do so regardless of milestones - so I stand behind my initial suggestions.
    ZailaTeaniAloliHawaTaiyangCayn
  • I really like "Participate in three," because it's like your characters do a best of three every week. Seems like a very life-like habit.
    Didi has expressed her esteem of you for the following reason: Smart organized leader.
    Experience Gained: 47720 (Special) [total: 2933660]
    Needed for LVL: 122.00775356245
    ZailaSavasTaiyang
  • ZailaZaila Pacific Time
    I'm definitely with Savas on this topic.

It's not that you COULDN'T play a few real games until you both get the correct number of wins, nor could you intentionally lose/win enough times for you both to get your milestones before you, but requiring a certain number of wins actively discourages actually playing the games for fun.

Why? Because generally people are nice and want to help each other out by intentionally losing/winning to make sure both people get what they came for. And by the time you've each spent the time and effort to play 4 fake games (which is more effort than just going through the motions, because you had to make sure you lost/won), you're not nearly as likely to still be in the mood to play for real unless you're already someone who enjoys that game.

Whereas if you merely have to participate in twice as many games (everyone has to participate in 4 instead of just win 2) then the same number of games were played overall, but people are more likely to play genuinely.
    Savas
  • @Tiur Honestly, I don't know how you feel about it but the Orrery objectives shouldn't be able to be bonuses unless orrery is active. But that's just my feeling on the matter.

StineSeurimasTekiasAeryxAloliRhineDrystinBenedictoCayn
  • TekiasTekias Wisconsin
    edited March 2020
    Definitely out of the daily 2x rotation, at least.

edit: I'm an idiot, just noticed the 'to be bonuses' of Ehtias' post.
    Formerly: Spiegel. Eidycue.

Hi.

Seurimas
  • TiurTiur Producer
    Hah! RNGesus apparently thinks it's funny. We'll fix that.
    DrystinHawaAloli
  • Love the new system and how it's friendly to both new and veteran players. Throwing a bone to people for exploring a new room, getting a new fame line, or graduating the academy is a fantastic idea.

Plus I get two free credits every day for being city leader.
    DrystinAeryxRhineSeurimasTeani
  • PhoeneciaPhoenecia The Merchant of Esterport Somewhere in Attica
    I'm loving the new credit milestones. A few suggestions for credit milestone additions for a little more variety, and also because a lot of current milestones can't be obtained if you got them already. 

* Obtain a new Explorer rank (easy for new characters/lower level people to obtain since most credit milestones seem geared towards endgame people). 

* Learn a new language. (same as above. Although if you've learned every language already, it's a useless milestone)

* Kill Makkali/Mamba/Axel/airbeast (These are all special Big Game Hunter mobs from the Season One version of the quest. They have no use now, but are fun and challenging mobs, so they could be put to use again).

* Complete the quest  Escape from the mirror prison (mirrormaze_escape). 

* Play a game of Poker. (would help people in learning how to play it for events and stuff) 

* Harvest 20 crops. 
    * Care for 5 farm animals. 

* Submit a crafting design. (There's already a milestone for approving/rejecting a design). 

* Collect x Herbalism/Apothecary ingredients.

* Conduct the spice test in the Epicurean Academy. 

* Attend a cooking class at the Epicurean Academy. 

TekiasAeryxSeurimasZaila
  • 58) Esteem three different people 2 0 / 3

Would it be possible to consider lowering this? Currently you can only get it once every three days (unless you are a city leader?), which is really disheartening as someone who does like to express esteem after a nice session of roleplay. If it were two, then that would let you get it roughly every other day, which is much easier!
    Zaila
  • I think this has exposed a problem with some quests that can only be completed once a day by anyone. For example the pylon maintenance quests have always been a hot commodity and chances are they would be completed shortly after the Howling every day, but with both of them being 2 point milestones now it has become even more of a race to see who camps at the pylon earlier.

For these in particular I think it'd be good to reduce the rewards but make them once per day per person, like mines.
    StineRhineTekiasIazamatZaila
  • Small additional feedback:

- Make all 'kill X' milestones award credit for participation. This is a multiplayer game, let's encourage cooperation, not discourage it!
    - Reduce Marcello keystones to 2 or buff him. He's by far the easiest to do on the list at that reward point in my opinion, and as a result he's camped pretty relentlessly for 3 keystones.
    - Add the Vortex amalgamation to the milestone task list. It's a decent fight.
    - Add Luzith to the milestone task list.
    - Definitely reduce 'esteem 3 different people' to 'esteem 1 person' or even 'esteem someone new'.
    ZailaDrystin
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    Should be a milestone for beating Draden Jibbs at highest difficulty. 
    Zaila
  • Please consider removing Kill Tellimerius. Tellimerius is a quest mob and shouldn't be hunted for milestones.
    HawaMjollZailaOonaghDrystinRhineTeani
  • edited March 2020
    All the named mobs listed for milestones are mob quests. You can either turn their body into someone for gold or get an honors line for killing them (or both). Tellimerius included.
    DrystinTeaniAloli