Small Ideas - AIN'T NO COMBAT THREAD

Comments

• I'm fairly sure earthmeld and diffuse mist are both in line with other death recovery times, but it's been a while since I was a vampire.
  • RhyotRhyot Bloodloch
    Entomb > Diffuse mist > Earthmeld

I think entomb is about 30 seconds with anchor.
    Diffuse mist is 45 seconds with anchor
    Earthmeld (I believe) is about 60 seconds with anchor.

Its been a long time since I've used earthmeld as I tend to Diffuse mist. But I'm fairly positive those are the times for death recovery for vamps.

• AeryxAeryx Docking Nipsy's pay
    With the advent of Helpedit, I'd love to see the admin consider an ABEdit, so that we(mostly me because I'm a dork) can fix all those old AB files that mention/use the old time system. IE: All the stuff in AB RESEARCH like AB RESEARCH DIVINITY.
    Childhood's over the moment you know you're gonna die.
    ZailaDidiTetchtaDrystinRhine
    Another small idea I had that I was told to use the IDEA command on and/or put in this thread, so I am now, is please allow the Dig racial skill to be used for Uproot in Farming, since it can be used in lieu of shovels in every other instance I can think of.
    Rebra
  • edited January 2020
    I IDEA'd this, but thought I'd put it here too: GUILD POSITION shortname HELPFILE yes|no SPOT 1-? would be very useful in order to change the spot on the the helpfile that the position shows up in without having to delete positions and reordering them.
    AeryxMjollAloliTeani
  • Comm probation status that allows trade ministry to block specific people from buying and/or selling commodities, for when you want to deal with someone abusing things without ruining it for the whole city.
    AxiusTetchtaRhineLin
  • edited January 2020
    We have city disfavours, the choice to oust someone from city, the ability to sit down and RP at the person, PK in an attempt to force the return of commodities, IC peer pressure, etc. I'm not sure opening the game up to a different flavour of abuse - and one that will need to be watched by the admin - is the proper reaction to this situation, personally.
    TetchtaTeani
  • TetchtaTetchta The Innocent
    edited January 2020
    Nerakh said:

Comm probation status that allows trade ministry to block specific people from buying and/or selling commodities, for when you want to deal with someone abusing things without ruining it for the whole city.

Okay, like, honestly I know this is about me. FWIW I talked to a bunch of people about the state of Comms right now and I have been pretty swayed by the OOC arguments. I think "abuse" is a harsh word in this context, though. I just enjoy playing games in a way where I can trade stuff. It's why I play Elite Dangerous.

But I also realize that this method of play, atm, hurts like, way more people's play of the game than it brings me joy, so I'm personally not doing it anymore. That said I don't think this is a terrible idea. It's a bit too easy to quickly mess up the market. If nothing else, being able to have individual sale caps for individuals would be another good fix, so that larger orders have to go through a trade minister or an aide.

As it sits right now, trading like this feels like pooping on the playerbase for balancing errors by the admin, so. Like. That's not exactly fun for me, because I don't get off on ruining other people's fun.

• From what I heard everything you did was perfectly valid and also not even a little bit new. People have played that game for a long time.

Gosh it sucks having a real market I guess.
    Copperhead of the Third Spoke says to you, "Intelligence matrix in moniker Bulrok reveals above average results when compared alongside proximal presence."
    SeurimasDrystin
    edited January 2020
    Bulrok said:

From what I heard everything you did was perfectly valid and also not even a little bit new. People have played that game for a long time.

Gosh it sucks having a real market I guess.

We don't have a real market though. New gold flowing into the market is fixed, there's basically no way for anybody to deal with inflation. If ratting responded to inflation, or other quest payouts, I'd agree. But I've been swayed.

That said, I think the ire should be focused at the economic balance of the game. It's wonky, and needs administrative love.

• edited January 2020
    @Tetchta New gold is created through questing and bashing. Gold is taken out of circulation by gold sinks. That used to exist in cryptic chests, which were very popular. Giftbags aren't as popular. Building production facilities, guard salaries, and other city expenses are the biggest sinks right now. The admins also occasionally run special auctions that take several million out of circulation.

And then there's gambling.

I don't think gold inflation is that bad, but I do think it should be monitored, though I'm not sure if the admins have the capability of seeing just how much gold is in circulation at any given time.
    Fezzix said:

@Tetchta New gold is created through questing and bashing. Gold is taken out of circulation by gold sinks. That used to exist in cryptic chests, which were very popular. Giftbags aren't as popular. Building production facilities, guard salaries, and other city expenses are the biggest sinks right now. The admins also occasionally run special auctions that take several million out of circulation.

And then there's gambling.

I don't think gold inflation is that bad, but I do think it should be monitored, though I'm not sure if the admins have the capability of seeing just how much gold is in circulation at any given time.

I wasn't clear enough. I didn't mean gold never enters the economy, I mean it likely does so at a steady, relatively flat rate. And wages don't increase when the value of gold drops.

• AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    Well the rate goes up when players are more active. There's generally always an open tap on sources.
    Although that might be correlated, I don't know if active playerbase is always a good metric for how the gold rate should respond. I mean, inflation can runaway without that many people being actively online.

In any case, I think an individual sale cap would almost entirely fix this problem.

Axius
  • RhyotRhyot Bloodloch
    Tetchta said:

In any case, I think an individual sale cap would almost entirely fix this problem.

Or you know.... we could just use the already built in systems to mitigate anything. Such as, oh i don't know, raising the commodity prices to be in line with everyone elses?

If everyone is a similar price/close price, there won't be a back and forth selling.

TetchtaSeurimas
    edited January 2020
    Rhyot said:

Tetchta said:

Or you know.... we could just use the already built in systems to mitigate anything. Such as, oh i don't know, raising the commodity prices to be in line with everyone elses?

If everyone is a similar price/close price, there won't be a back and forth selling.
    I mean that was my thought but it also wouldn't hurt for the trade that's player-run to have more tools at its disposal. Stores often have sales caps when there's a good deal for customers to prevent these exact issues from arising. Otherwise if there's bulk goods for sale, it seems like the intention is for people to buy them.

Zaila
  • RhyotRhyot Bloodloch
    What you did was legal @Tetchta. You used in game mechanics to build a set of profit for yourself. That is not against the game rules, you didnt violate any city laws, and you didnt bankrupt the city of its comms (I dont think you would have even if the comms were all released anyway). 

If anything, you pointed out a city trade flaw that Bloodloch was able to react on and fix so that it cant happen again.  We were able to utilize the system that is already in place to remedy a single situation that was brought forward to us.

That said, I think we are devolving into a completely separate thread instead of maintaining to small ideas.

ZailaLinAeryxMjollTetchtaRhine
  • small idea a snippet perhaps
    Aeryx
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    Insight artifact! Insight artifact! Insight artifact!

I know there's that relic that gives mind insight, I just want one cheaper arti that does the one thing!
  • On the one hand I really love insight but on the other, please don't. I really feel like it would detract from thought RP, and greatly influence how people use it already if they knew there was a possibility everyone could see surface thoughts.
    Copperhead of the Third Spoke says to you, "Intelligence matrix in moniker Bulrok reveals above average results when compared alongside proximal presence."
    IazamatZailaPhoeneciaRazmaelStineDrystinRhineAloli
    New February promo: we are releasing an Insight artifact and it is only purchasable by Lin
    Iesid
  • The OFFERINGS command in all its incarnations isn't alphabetically organised and it makes me want to claw my face off.
    LinZailaRhine
    I think it would be really awesome to see hand to hand classes be able to wield cosmetic claw or cestus style items, so we don't lose out on getting to be cool with a stylish weapon. Or at least instead of wielding an item like that, allow us to have them on display in room like a weapon with a command that displays things worn on your hands, IE: Aeryx stands here, fists adorned with a pair of bronze cestus.

Because if we're going to let gods give out colored weapons to people, I think it stinks to not be eligible for a pretty wielded thing because your use your fists.
    ArosSeurimasMartinauxDrystinTekiasCaynZaila

MjollAeryxAros
  • HammarHammar Training the Gaidin
    Speaking as one of those pesky gods that likes to throw a bit of snowflake around, I can say with almost 100% confidence that if a god wanted you to have something shiny and snowflake-y, they'd find a way! I've used weapons and armour (that still decay), clothing, description modifiers, ambience messages - the lot! - for people that have earned it (in character, of course).
    IesidAeryxBenedicto
    Hammar said:

Speaking as one of those pesky gods that likes to throw a bit of snowflake around, I can say with almost 100% confidence that if a god wanted you to have something shiny and snowflake-y, they'd find a way! I've used weapons and armour (that still decay), clothing, description modifiers, ambience messages - the lot! - for people that have earned it (in character, of course).

My idea was not meant to be a dig on people giving out special stuff, I love that sort of thing. I just think it would also be cool to make my own stuff too if I so desire. I'd like to think that in most forms of fantasy, just using your fists in combat is usually more stylish than it currently is in Aetolia. The more avenues for customization, the better, I think!
  • TekiasTekias Wisconsin
    Actually, speaking of bare-fist, I think it would be nice if monks/shapeshifters could wield certain things and still throw combos. Even if purely cosmetic.
    Formerly: Spiegel. Eidycue.

Hi.

AeryxDrystin
  • can we get an itemised audit breakdown for experience boost please?

or, if it does exist already, can someone fire me the syntax?

Also while we're at it. "you must stand up to do that" is the bane of my rp. Why can't i sit on a couch and pass the joint along to my friend sat next to me :(
    ArosCaynZaila
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    audit experience
  • Skiva said:

Also while we're at it. "you must stand up to do that" is the bane of my rp. Why can't i sit on a couch and pass the joint along to my friend sat next to me :(

Easiest fix is to use the POSE syntax to make it look like you're sitting and simply stay standing mechanically.
    ArbreTeaniCaynZailaRhineIesid