Announce post #3052: Flintbeard's Lair closing soon

1/14/2020 at 0:38
Razmael, the Synthesist
Everyone
Flintbeard's Lair closing soon

Just a reminder that there is roughly 24 hours until Flintbeard's Lair closes, in case you haven't had a chance to run it yet. You lot have thoroughly embarrassed the poor fella and I think he's going to take a vacation until next Celesmas.

Penned by my hand on Gosday, the 18th of Midsummer, in the year 485 MA.

Comments

• RazmaelRazmael Administrator, Immortal
    edited January 2020
    Flintbeard's Lair is closed!

1) What's your feedback on this instance?

2) What ideas do you have for future instance boss fight mechanics? Looking for ideas grounded in Aetolia-unique mechanics, cause trust me, we can draw on mechanics from popular MMOs for days.
    Aloli
  • 1) i liked it! it wasn't too long, much of it was relatively clear... yeah! good clean fun. the three tsinkin stooges were probably a highlight for me - mechanics-based fights that aren't forcing you to try to read/see a whole lot WHILE bashing are good. good job, 10/10, would recommend to a friend if i had any.

2) let me pk the boss? idk, i'll get back to you.
    (Congregation): Iosyne says, "I made a cup."

Horkval are a feature...
    Stine
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    ya I like the whole thing
  • 5/7 perfect score. Ran it several times a howling just to spread the joy of the stooges to my friends.
    Toz says, "Dishonor on you (Mjoll), dishonor on your family (Seirath), dishonor on your cow (Bulrok)"
    Stine
  • BenedictoBenedicto Tentacles Errywhere!
    I loved that there were more strategic elements to it outside of just BASH THE EVER LOVING SNOT OUT OF THEM. The Stooges in particular were a favorite - dialogue/mechanics/strategy.

I think what I would like to see more of in future is things that require an element/touch more independent thinking at parts between the various members of the team.
    StineAloli
  • edited January 2020
    This instance probably stands at the top of the 3 we've had since speedruns became a thing. Beneath is pretty tough for most characters relative strength and Terry was super quick - this one struck just the right note of notable bosses/mechanics within them and offering options of how to tackle it.

The Ironbeard in your web interaction is a notable memory from the first time I went through all the way to the last - having an NPC that is something of a guide, or an ally, is an awesome experience.

Agree with @Benedicto in that having more mechanics that input from each member would also be interesting, especially during the boss. Flintbeard had multiple phases but didn't seem to change his tactics very much.

Aetolia has had a few different types of puzzles, perhaps an emphasis on something like that inside a raid? Whether it's collecting keys like Chapel Garden candles and getting the right key for the doors as you progress, or collecting pieces from different areas to unlock the final room, etc.
    BenedictoAloli
  • RazmaelRazmael Administrator, Immortal
    edited January 2020
    I'm honestly surprised stooges seem to be the highlight - I was totally thinking that fight was going to be a massive flop when I made it! Glad you all enjoyed the dungeon though.

Benedicto said:

I think what I would like to see more of in future is things that require an element/touch more independent thinking at parts between the various members of the team.

Definitely agree with this.
    Stine said:

The Ironbeard in your web interaction is a notable memory from the first time I went through all the way to the last - having an NPC that is something of a guide, or an ally, is an awesome experience.

Awesome, I made the code so it's possible to set up support for this on most NPCs so we'll look of ways to incorporate this further in the future.
    Stine said:

Aetolia has had a few different types of puzzles, perhaps an emphasis on something like that inside a raid? Whether it's collecting keys like Chapel Garden candles and getting the right key for the doors as you progress, or collecting pieces from different areas to unlock the final room, etc.

Yeah, this is an idea worth thinking further on. Tricky part is finding the balance between solving it once and you know the solution each time, and too much RNG to make sure it's different.
    AloliStineRhine