Mining - Devblog

TiurTiur Producer
edited October 2019 in Idea Box
Discussion thread for the post here:
https://www.aetolia.com/2019/10/08/mining-a-devblog/
HawaAloliSeurimasNeoma

Comments

• Gonna have to read in the morning when I'm not knackered, but I want to voice my appreciation and delight that a devblog has been posted. I hope there'll be more in the future!
    (Congregation): Iosyne says, "I made a cup."

Horkval are a feature...
  • PhoeneciaPhoenecia The Merchant of Esterport Somewhere in Attica
    Question time!

1) There's slated to be 3 production skills. Farming, Mining, and ???. I can't remember if it was stated, but will we be able to have Farming in addition to Mining when it comes out? Reason I ask is because as it currently stands, comm production ends up becoming the burden of a dedicated few.

2) Is Mining going to end up like Farming with a production aspect? As in, just as Farming gives you raw materials, will ores and stuff need to be refined? I used to play Mabinogi, which had a LOT of production and craft skills, and turning raw materials into useable commodities was a very large aspect of making anything.

3) Related to the above, would there be any interplay between Mining and Forging such as forgers being able to smelt/refine ores into usable metals or being better able to mine or prospect?

4) Since mining will involve finding ores and possibly gemstones, would we be able to get rare/hard to find stuff like platinum, starstone, sunstone, etc? Godstongue and zhikta peppers have been made widely available and in large quantities via farming when they were previously faction-locked with the Epicurean Academy, and could only harvest 5 per/rl day. Kind of wondering if similarly rare minerals, metals, and gemstones will receive the same treatment.
  • TiurTiur Producer
    1) We've said before, you'll be able to have 2 out of 3, any mix. And we will put in a command to forget one and learn another at no cost, for a little while at least. So enjoy Farming and Mining all you like, there's no fear of loss.

2) I'll leave this for a moment, deferring to how much @Razmael and @Kyna feel comfortable discussing.

3) They'll have interplay in tool making and such, but Mining is a much larger project than Forging, so they don't overlap much. Being able to turn an ingot of iron into a sword is way different from extracting iron ore and making ingots.

4) A lot of them could, but Mining is pretty expansive and can introduce difficulties other than rarity. Don't dig too deep!
  • KynaKyna Victoria, Australia
    2) We briefly touched on it before with the release of Farming that each skill will introduce city production rooms. So, yep! Mining will have them as well.

3) As @Tiur mentioned, we wanted the Agriculture sets to interlink with each other, as well as other crafts. It will always be in a minor way, but one that supports the economy as a whole in both making it feel more fluid and more "real".

4) As we have seen and introduced with Farming, it has its own little, rare, events that have a chance of giving you the opportunity for a rare material that lines up thematically. Mining will have these events in its own theme as well - so will ???.
  • RijettaRijetta Nowhere Important
    Tiur said:

Don't dig too deep!

You can't stop me from mining all that adamantine, Tiur. We're going to have so much !!FUN!!
    A low, sultry voice resounds within the depths of your mind, "I look forward to seeing your descent."
    VahnCayn

• I am all set, pick ax and all.. just pacing the floor waiting for mining to begin!
    Thanks for the mining devblog, sounds great.
  • Please let us be able to mine stone comms for building.
  • RhyotRhyot Bloodloch
    Is there an ETA for the release of mining?? Or at the very least a possible window of release?

• Well, they gave the "when it's ready" response already, but could we get any more teasers of progress made?
    Didi has expressed her esteem of you for the following reason: Smart organized leader.
    Experience Gained: 47720 (Special) [total: 2933660]
    Needed for LVL: 122.00775356245
  • KynaKyna Victoria, Australia
    edited November 2019
    I won't give any ETA's to hold onto, as I am a volunteer and doing that puts pressure on me I would rather avoid - hence the, "when it's ready" is the best I can offer. However, we are making pretty good progress on the design, and the code front. I'm happy to share this teaser of said progress; did I mention torches and their placement will be important? How else will you see?

What you're looking at here is what we predict a potential, deep cave, mine could look like. You can see glimpses of various biomes that can spawn within your opened mines, plus some other Things.

NOTE: Please keep in mind this is an Alpha screenshot. Final release may vary.
    CaynRhyotMoxieSeurimasHawaAloliNeoma
  • The Dwarf Fortress feels and suddenly I must have Mining when it's released.
    RhyotVahnSeurimas
  • I see a good spot to set up some magma forges.
    Cayn
  • Hire me to be your Balrog exterminator.
  • TiurTiur Producer
    Dwarf Fortress completely unintentional, Raz doesn't play it! I guess when you use the same tools to build a similar structure, similarities pop up!

If you go crazy while carving the story of your kitten that killed a weregiraffe and lock yourself in a room so you can submit the design of your masterpiece (an ornate garnet trap lever depicting your lost love being trampled by weregiraffes) and retire.... that's on you.
    HawaCaynAloli
  • Tiur said:

If you go crazy while carving the story of your kitten that killed a weregiraffe and lock yourself in a room so you can submit the design of your masterpiece (an ornate garnet trap lever depicting your lost love being trampled by weregiraffes) and retire.... that's on you.

Tiur, are you having a stroke?

Or is this a subtle hint that weregiraffes are coming?
    (Congregation): Iosyne says, "I made a cup."

Horkval are a feature...
  • RazmaelRazmael Administrator, Immortal

RebraRhyotAloliCaynRhineIesid
  • TiurTiur Producer
    Hawa said:

Tiur said:

Tiur, are you having a stroke?

Or is this a subtle hint that weregiraffes are coming?
    I assure you, that 100% made sense to DF players.
    CaynAloli
  • BenedictoBenedicto Tentacles Errywhere!
    Every Dwarf and Mhun player gearing up for mining.

AeryxRhineRhyotSeurimasCayn
  • AeryxAeryx Docking Nipsy's pay
    I'm just really happy to see that Mining isn't looking super similar to Farming. I hope we get it before the end of the year! It's looking good so far.
    Childhood's over the moment you know you're gonna die.
    Cayn