Announce post #3008: Auction!

<pre>9/25/2019 at 0:08
Tiur, the Gnosis
Everyone
Auction!

Auction time!

Sorry this took a bit, I discovered one of the artifacts I intended to put up didn't exist. The auction will go on for 12ish days. And I promise next month is NOT a credit sale.

Some general auction rules:
* Any artifacts bought through auction (including the gold items) cannot be traded in, nor can their power be transferred to any other item.
* Iron Coin and Credit auctions allow you to bid whatever value you want on them, even if you don't have the currency on hand. Gold items require you to have the gold.
* When IC/CR auctions end, you will have a week to get together the amount you won the bid for, or we shrub you until you can pay up. We take this seriously.
* We don't do takebacks on bids, even if you messed up and added an extra zero. Be absolutely careful with your bidding commands.
* Read both HELP AUCTIONS and HELP AUCTIONHOUSE if you are unfamiliar with the Auctioning system in Aetolia.
* Yes, bound credits/bloody iron coins can be used to pay for the auctions!

Credits
-------
Full Relic Token - Trades in for a full version of a relic. Surprise me and don't ask for a ethereal link! Also, not the realllllly old ones that turn into artifacts.

Bottomless Vial - You know what this does!

A portable leyspike - Once per howling, spawns a lesser focus in the area where it is used. Can only be used in locations that a focus can normally spawn in.

*NEW*
A Shield of Absorption - A normal 11/11 shield that can be wielded by any class. While wielded, it has a 15% chance to absorb damage against you. Flat out, 15% to just ignore it. Keroc approved, even.

Iron Coins
----------
Link of the Ethereal - This relic artifact allows you to create a portal between your haven and another's. The owner of the other haven must agree to the portal being placed. You can change the destination of the portal once per Aetolian year. Use HAVENS PORTAL <target>. Cooldown is tied to the artifact, so owning multiple lets you create multiple portals.

Wand of Eldlore - The eld can be tough cookies to crack, but what glorious ylem when you get to that gooey center! If you want a keepsake of your battles, this wand is for you. Manage to slay an Eld using this wand (it's weak, I'll tell you that) and its image will be transformed into a collectible figurine for your enjoyment!

Relic Piece Token - Trade in for any piece of a relic you need! Contact Tiur upon winning.

Gold
----
Lvl 3 Crit Pendant - Normally 1200 credits

An ilmenite hoe - Normally 250 credits

House Deed - Allows the owner to buy a three room house. Email Tiur to cash in!

Penned by my hand on Quensday, the 2nd of Chakros, in the year 483 MA.</pre>
Aloli

Comments

• MacavityMacavity Chicago, Il
    I am sorry I do not want to sound ungrateful, but am I the only one that thinks the auction items here are lackluster?? I was really hoping for something unique and really awesome like the past auctions we use to have, that would drive credit items into the 2000's!
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
    MjollIazamatJhinMazzion
  • RhyotRhyot Bloodloch
    The bottomless vial is pretty unique. As is the crit pendant for gold. 

Iazamat
  • PhoeneciaPhoenecia The Merchant of Esterport Somewhere in Attica
    I'm also kind of bummed about the auction myself. What's there is already  awesome, but I was also kind of hoping fot crafting related things or other neat stuff (the old crystal relics, pet tokens, all-in-one crafting boon item, market stall, etc). 
  • the ylemmer within is happy at all these new ylem toys

the poor IRL player laments she can never afford them >.<
  • TiurTiur Producer
    I'm kinda an artifact coward. I get scared at making things that are OP, even at 2k+ credits. I guess this time I just overdid it?

I also struck out a number of normal auction items that have underperformed lately. I don't mean to take people's chances for things away, but custom wings going for 1200 tells me the market is saturated. Stuff like that.
  • Got a ton of credits and nothing there even stirs my interest haha
    MacavityZailaDrystin
  • MacavityMacavity Chicago, Il
    Tiur said:

I'm kinda an artifact coward. I get scared at making things that are OP, even at 2k+ credits. I guess this time I just overdid it?

I also struck out a number of normal auction items that have underperformed lately. I don't mean to take people's chances for things away, but custom wings going for 1200 tells me the market is saturated. Stuff like that.

just remember anything you break or create that is so powerful, @Keroc can always fix! hahaha but yeah based on the past auctions we had before, I might have hyped it up a bit much in my own head. Plus with it coming towards the end of the month thought maybe there might have been something super super nice! heh

again I mean no disrespect, I know you all work very hard to come up with stuff for us and I appreciate it!
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
  • Macavity said:

Tiur said:

just remember anything you break or create that is so powerful, @Keroc can always fix!!
    Tell that to Imperian's "Raksha Band" ... the truth is, people will get very mad if you mess with their unique auction artifacts.

@Tiur - imo you did the right thing by making these kinda underwhelming, thank you so much. I mentioned on Sideline that I'd rather underwhelming artifacts rather than busted toys that make the game less fun because we happened to not have any high rollers, etc. On a sidenote... I don't think the market is saturated on custom wings - I definitely want a pair and would have bid on them. :(
    Drystin
  • TiurTiur Producer
    Well, Keroc is king of keeping out combat balance in mind. He wants the game to be fun, and stay fun, which big stacks of artifacts can take away from. He usually keeps my crazier ideas in line, if not me being a coward.

I'll consider custom wings. I feel weird adding to the auction, because it devalues people's bids on other things. What if they wanted the new thing more, and are stuck bidding on another thing?
  • Tiur said:

Well, Keroc is king of keeping out combat balance in mind. He wants the game to be fun, and stay fun, which big stacks of artifacts can take away from. He usually keeps my crazier ideas in line, if not me being a coward.

I'll consider custom wings. I feel weird adding to the auction, because it devalues people's bids on other things. What if they wanted the new thing more, and are stuck bidding on another thing?

You could offer custom wings in some other capacity instead? I am told you used to sell them for iron coins. Have you considered putting them back on the list?
    Aloli
  • Iesid said:

Tiur said:

You could offer custom wings in some other capacity instead? I am told you used to sell them for iron coins. Have you considered putting them back on the list?
    I'd rather not see custom wings become a thing that's regularly available. We lived suffered through Kalak once... no one else should have to experience that.
    (Congregation): Iosyne says, "I made a cup."

Horkval are a feature...
    FezzixOonaghRhyotTeaniIesid
  • PhoeneciaPhoenecia The Merchant of Esterport Somewhere in Attica
    I kind of agree on keeping the custom wings pretty rare. The first few were auction only, if I remember right, and most of the ones that exist now have been lucky pulls from chests or giftbags. There's not a ton of them, so they still retain their specialness. 

But if they were made generally available, they should be kind of expensive. Level 2 shelves expansion for shops was about 1000cr when it was available. Level 4 stockroom expansion was 2000cr. Normal wings? 800cr. Level 2 wings? 2000cr. But fully custom wings room with exits you can choose, with a custom item and wings message? I get that they're highly desirable, but given how limited they are, they're utility, and the sheer customization, they shouldn't be too easy to get.
  • TiurTiur Producer
    For Iron coins? Oh my god, when was that? It would be like 3000 of them.
  • edited September 2019
    It's been a while and they were dirt cheap. They initially debuted at 80 iron coins, or 800-1200 credits back in 2010 under Galleus. When iron coins were split into 10 coins per or whatever the number was, the price was appropriately adjusted. Then raised up twice if I remember, but it was always more economical to buy the transportation token for your custom wings item and room than it was to buy the 2000 cr version of the deathcaves amulet or wings artifact if you had the patience to gather the coins. I think that at their most expensive, the token was 2000 coins and the exchange rate for coins to credits was between 1 and 1.5 cr to coins, so if you played your cards right you could get custom wings at the same cost as a level 2 transport arti. Most people who had them bought them prior to that 2000 coin cost though, if I'm remembering right.

For a while they were getting pretty prolific. In 2013 Razmael eliminated them as an always purchasable item. Since then they've occasionally cropped up in lootbox promos or auctions.