Announce post #2999: config Pronouns

<pre>8/25/2019 at 2:45
Tiur, the Gnosis
Everyone
config Pronouns

GENDER IS A CONSTRUCT.
CONFIG PRONOUNS

In all seriousness, we support equality and choice of life. This change won't come without its issues, especially around quests and mob dialogue. Please make sure you TYPO them as they come up so we can address them. Overall, this is a huge change when it comes to code, so it is absolutely impossible to catch everything and, rather than delay this, we simply ask for your help with its evolution.

As a side note, the plural option uses player race instead of the subject pronoun in order to ensure verb agreement.

Penned by my hand on Kinsday, the 17th of Lanosian, in the year 482 MA.</pre>
IazamatRebraTekiasIesidKalinaarTeaniAouriAgothaxlRaah

Comments

• edited August 2019
    Good addition to the game. I'm hoping people can be adults about this and not just be casually bigoted about a change that requires a little bit of system work and does a world of good for those who choose to use it.
    RebraTekiasIesidRasaniOonaghRhine
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    Neat
    Iesid
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    Technical question: when emoting and using tags, will the game recognize someone's choice and alter the output accordingly if someone makes a mistake?

If someone had opted for gender neutrality, would, for example, this:
    Emote looks at $Slyphe as $Slyphe_She blasts the seagull with a spray of water. 

come out as:
    Teani looks at Slyphe as She blasts...

or as:
    Teani looks at Slyphe as They blast... 
    ?

• TiurTiur Producer
    It should figure it out and work correctly, as it basically replaces the internals of every evaluation for pronouns like that.
    Teani
  • @Teani We discussed this last night in the Leader channel.

Since "he/she" is grammatically singular, "they" won't fit. Instead, the game will parse "he/she" as a noun. Example: "He is knocked to the ground by the force of your blow" is now "The (racename) is knocked to the ground by the force of your blow."
    Teani
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    edited September 2019
    Fezzix said:
    @Teani We discussed this last night in the Leader channel. Since "he/she" is grammatically singular, "they" won't fit. Instead, the game will parse "he/she" as a noun. Example: "He is knocked to the ground by the force of your blow" is now "The (racename) is knocked to the ground by the force of your blow."
    Right. That works for combat messages and such, but not for targeted emotes.

I guess it's not that big of a deal. I just hope those choosing neutral gender aren't offended by simple mistakes or not being able to notice such things on the fly, and accept that one can change once new information is revealed. 

• EliadonEliadon Somewhere Over the Rainbow
    edited August 2019
    Singular they is a thing 
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singular_they

Edit: Oh using is is still wrong there, I see! Yep

Fezzix