Announce post #2984: Farming and the Agriculture system!

Comments

• RazmaelRazmael Administrator, Immortal
    Kalinaar said:

will one caravan depart with the goods from all city farms combined? 

Like that, yeah. As soon as someone does a FIELD SHIP it initiates a caravan timer for that entire farmland area, and everybody else who field ships from that farmland area during that 2-3 day departure time window will add to its cargo.

AloliIesidKalinaar
  • AloliAloli Between Books
    edited July 2019
    Razmael said:

Kalinaar said:

Like that, yeah. As soon as someone does a FIELD SHIP it initiates a caravan timer for that entire farmland area, and everybody else who field ships from that farmland area during that 2-3 day departure time window will add to its cargo.

Would anyone else in the farmland get a notification telling them that a caravan is being prepared or would the Trade minister get a notification or maybe the revlog or city log get notated?
    Between what is said and not meant, and what is meant and not said, most of love is lost. - Khalil Gibran
  • PhoeneciaPhoenecia The Merchant of Esterport Somewhere in Attica
    So. Cotton used to be sold as a comm in Skythrone previously, but doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Is it ONLY going to be available through farming now that it's used for making cloth?
  • TiurTiur Producer
    We had a little trouble with the caching system considering both kinds of cotton to be the same. To save errors, we got rid of Skythrone cotton in the shop. Once we can address it, we'll fix it one way or the other!
  • RazmaelRazmael Administrator, Immortal
    Aloli said:

Razmael said:

Kalinaar said:

Would anyone else in the farmland get a notification telling them that a caravan is being prepared or would the Trade minister get a notification or maybe the revlog or city log get notated?
    There's an entry in the city log.
    Aloli
  • MacavityMacavity Chicago, Il
    so can we buy a second farmplot now? or is that still being kept from us for now?? and if we can where are deeds sold at?
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
    So. A few things I've been noticing about farming.

Livestock: Of all the things that produce important comms, livestock feels like the least worthwhile. One season lasts 12.5 RL days. Growing trees takes about that long, which is fine. But livestock takes way longer. All animals start at 30% happiness. But them reaching adulthood requires 100% happiness before they can start producing stuff? You can only FIELD CARE each animal once per Howling, and only raises happiness about 1%. If 100% happiness is when you're able to actually get stuff out of your animals, this would take about 70 RL days. Grass only grows in spring through autumn, which is 37.5 RL days, and you can only have 1 animal per 6 tiles of grass. So the math doesn't seem to add up at all for keeping livestock. Raising happiness is REALLY slow, and it doesn't seem like you can hit 100% at all even if you get animals at the very beginning of spring. This is even WORSE if you're trying to raise cows for leather since you have to kill the cows to get hides. As far as I'm aware, you can't even get milk or beef from said cows. So it feels like a lot of work for pretty much nothing.

In comparison? Cotton matures in 7 days, and keeps reproducing every 2 as long as it remains planted, and can have multiple yields if you keep it planted for all 3 seasons.

Also. Currently there is no use for other crop seeds beyond having a neat way to grow fruit and vegetables for your own use, so there's not really an incentive to grow things like corn or tomatoes. It's a waste of growing time/money, at least for now.
  • TiurTiur Producer
    Phoenecia said:

Also. Currently there is no use for other crop seeds beyond having a neat way to grow fruit and vegetables for your own use, so there's not really an incentive to grow things like corn or tomatoes. It's a waste of growing time/money, at least for now.

*exausted Tiur*

https://forums.aetolia.com/discussion/3250/announce-post-2992-market-orders-and-provisioning
  • KerocKeroc A small cupboardAdministrator, Immortal
    Phoenecia said:

Livestock: Of all the things that produce important comms, livestock feels like the least worthwhile. One season lasts 12.5 RL days. Growing trees takes about that long, which is fine. But livestock takes way longer. All animals start at 30% happiness. But them reaching adulthood requires 100% happiness before they can start producing stuff? You can only FIELD CARE each animal once per Howling, and only raises happiness about 1%. If 100% happiness is when you're able to actually get stuff out of your animals, this would take about 70 RL days. Grass only grows in spring through autumn, which is 37.5 RL days, and you can only have 1 animal per 6 tiles of grass. So the math doesn't seem to add up at all for keeping livestock. Raising happiness is REALLY slow, and it doesn't seem like you can hit 100% at all even if you get animals at the very beginning of spring. This is even WORSE if you're trying to raise cows for leather since you have to kill the cows to get hides. As far as I'm aware, you can't even get milk or beef from said cows. So it feels like a lot of work for pretty much nothing.

Animals reach adulthood at 50%, and sheep/chickens give you a bonus to their produce at 95% and higher.

As for grass, right now it only stops you from getting more animals. But this probably needs fixing in some manner so you don't just uproot your grass and plant a bunch of seeds after releasing. Either way the animals will last through winter, grass or no grass after the bug fix, so technically you can more or less consider them permanent additions.

Aside from cows anyway.

• I am curious about mining, is there an ETA for the implementation of mining?
  • RhyotRhyot Bloodloch
    When I asked that question on Leaders, Tiur had mentioned about 2-4 months. There are a lot of bugs to work out with Farming, he's giving time for cities to rebuild gold funds for the next set of buildings, and he wanted to let the coders have a little bit of a break instead of whipping them all the time. 

• Rhyot said:

When I asked that question on Leaders, Tiur had mentioned about 2-4 months. There are a lot of bugs to work out with Farming, he's giving time for cities to rebuild gold funds for the next set of buildings, and he wanted to let the coders have a little bit of a break instead of whipping them all the time. 

@Rhyot thanks
    Then I will wait cause ICly I just can't see a vampire working in the sunny fields gardening and such. :p
    Kalinaar
  • RhyotRhyot Bloodloch
    I would do it. I am actually looking forward to partaking in being a simple frmer. 

I'm just spending 100% of my time bashing for gold to donate it to the city since I imagine the next set of buildings are going to be just as expensive. 

• TiurTiur Producer
    Thanks for that summary Rhyot!

Even whips need a break sometimes. Gotta oil the leather, sharpen the rasps, retool the hilts. I have standards involved when I whip my coders, after all.
    KalinaarRhyotMoxie
  • ...hot?
    Kalinaar
  • edited August 2019
    Spinesreach has upgraded both the Tannery and Clothier.

Level 1 clothier yields 1 cloth per 5 cotton.
    Level 2 clothier yields 1 cloth per 3 cotton.

Level 1 tannery yields 3 leather per 1 hide.
    Level 2 tannery yields 4 leather per 1 hide.

This math doesn't line up. Is it intended for the upgraded Clothier to have a 66% increase in yield but the upgraded Tannery only increase by 33%? For the math to be consistent (and the upgrade to be worth it), shouldn't the level 2 Tannery yield 5 leather per hide?
    KalinaarAnsidia
    I have a chicken on my farm and it FINALLY laid an egg. When I probe my chicken, it says it's laid an egg somewhere. I've checked my entire farm and I can't find said egg anywhere. Is this a bug or am I missing something?
  • Sounds like a sneaky fox might have gotten to your egg first. 
    Haven
    So. Twice now I've had a chicken lay eggs and say it's on my farm somewhere and I can't find it. There's no indication of it sitting around or if it's been eaten, so I'd REALLY like it if there was a hint either way because I have no idea if I'm just unlucky with timing or if it's bugged.
  • RhyotRhyot Bloodloch
    The eggs aren't there because you're stepping on them. Bad chicken mom. 

KalinaarAloliAgothaxlZaila
    I am indeed a bad chicken mom. I traded my chicken for another cow. D:

Oonagh
  • SaritaSarita Empress of Bahir'an The Pillars of the Earth
    So I went to ship off a harvest of hemp and got this:

field bundle hemp
    You need thirty hemp and a piece of rope in order to form a bundle.

Is there anything written somewhere about how much of each are required for a bundle? I went through as many HELPs as I could guess, and didn't see anything about it.
  • TekiasTekias Wisconsin
    From experience, it's 30 a bundle. Cotton's the same way. As far as where it's stated...didn't find any, only found out from trial and error, though there are 30 seeds a sack, so...
    Formerly: Spiegel. Eidycue.

Hi.

Leather also requires 30 to bundle. Pretty much all commodity materials need 30 except for trees.

Also, I'm not entirely sure, by the growing seasons seem wonky? It's well into autumn now, but I've gone through people's farms and quite a few still have summer crops. I'm all for giving farms a day or two grace, but I dunno if the seasons are bugged or something.
    Assuming you don't get any of the bonus hides, how many will you get per cow?
  • It states in AB Production that you will need 30 harvested crop per bundle and notes the ones that dont require bundles, ie wood, hides..

You get 1 hide per cow and base tannery production gives you I believe 3 leather per hide.
    My AB file actually says something different. It doesn't have the minimum number for the bundles, and it sounds like there's a conflict between whether or not hides need to be bundled in the first place. It would make sense to not require bundles for those (or require a smaller number of hides?) because I don't think it's possible for a single plot to support thirty cows in the first place.

Syntax: FIELD BUNDLE
    FIELD SHIP TO

Bundle together raw material for shipment to a city in order to be turned into commodities. You can bundle together cotton, hemp, and cowhide. Tree trunks can also be shipped, but do not need to be bundled.

You must store the bundles and tree trunks in your shed's storage. Once this is done, you can then choose to ship a specified item from your shed's storage to a city of your choice. This will transfer your item to be delivered upon the next scheduled caravan delivery.

Review AB FARMING STORAGE and HELP PRODUCTION for more information.
    It takes 30 hides to bundle, but EACH cow produces 6 hide. So you only need 5 cows
  • MacavityMacavity Chicago, Il
    so I used field maintenance and it shows that someone came to my field, but I do not see it on a map. is that by design? also you can do field maintenance multiple times, is this by design as well?
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
  • What in the world does that meteorite do? It's been sitting there, but I can't tell a purpose because it's winter so there aren't any crops to affect.