Announce post #2992: Market Orders and Provisioning

<pre>7/31/2019 at 21:58
Tiur, the Gnosis
Everyone
Market Orders and Provisioning

Because Farming has gone so well, we've adjusted our release schedule to make it all the more fun! Please note that this was supposed to be done after ???ing released, so it'll be bumpy.

Introducing Market Orders!

Market Orders are generated at the start of each season, and represent cities or organizations making requests for tradegoods. These requests can be found at the market in Esterport, listed via MARKETORDER LIST. You can fill the 'general' category of requests with MARKETORDER FILL <#> <amt> using goods in your inventory. In return, you'll get gold and experience!

For example:
*******************************[ Market Orders ]*******************************
ID Requester Request Quantity Filled Time Reward Size
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3 General cotton 356 0 24days 6408g -

This is a request for 356 cotton, giving 6408g, or about 18g per. If you were to MARKETORDER FILL 3 170, you would get 170*18g = 3060g, and some experience! The experience is actually based on how much you deliver AT ONCE, so delivering all you can at one time is worth more. In this example, you've delivered 170, leaving more to fill... which anyone can fill! First come, first rewarded.

At the moment this is only engaged for farming goods. Other tradeskills, talents, etc will be keyed into this, given time. We also have hooks that will allow us to change shop goods based on the delivery of required ingredients, or their behavior, etc. So in the future we'll be making the NPC economy less static!

The astute among you will notice that there's more information shown there than I just explained...

Introducing our second practical skill, Provisioning!

Provisioning is the skill of acquiring and selling tradegoods. With it you can see other orders...

*******************************[ Market Orders ]*******************************
ID Requester Request Quantity Filled Time Reward Size
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 Oried strawberry 1375 - 24days 2750g l

Aww, Oried wants strawberries! A rather... large amount of them, even.

These market orders are accepted by a single player, and your skill in Provisioning determines how many/large you can take at once. Once you've accepted an order it is yours for the time limit, costing an escrow deposit (about 50%), and needs to be filled in full. Doing so nets you a good 40-60% more experience than a general order, and you have no competition!

Other skillranks of Provisioning also let you place your own orders, protect goods on a caravan, and as previously mentioned, pay less in deposits or accept larger/more orders. There are also other things, but I can't show them yet!

Provisioning is increased by successfully filling orders, with lesser amounts coming from general orders. Currently it is capped at Skilled, as it has intended interactions with Mining and ???ing, as well as other tradeskills, so we don't want it all rolled out at once. Provisioning is also a bit of a 'mastery' skillset. As noted above, anyone can take General orders, and they tend to be capped at the maximum output of a single farm. Provisioning gives access to market orders that would require multiple farms working together and depending on a lead Provisioner.

ALSO

Market orders may only be filled with FRESH produce. Fresh produce is that which has been harvested, and never dropped, damaged, put in a shop, or stored in anything but your inventory. The exact timing of how freshness vanishes is left as a mystery, but assume keeping the goods in your inventory is the best way. I will admit it's not tied to decay rate!

-T

PS. This will be bumpy! Please use the forum thread to discuss ways we can imporove it, and please don't be frustrated if it isn't enough yet. I'll be making a lot of tweaks. For instance, we might want to discuss raising prices on produce in cooking supply shops to make it viable for players to want to use grown things.

PPS. Helpfiles will take me a few more hours, I have to update the drafts to match what changes I keep making.

PPPS. The promo will be a bit (at most 24 hours) late because this nearly broke me.

Penned by my hand on Falsday, the 21st of Ios, in the year 482 MA.</pre>
NerakhAloliMoxie

Comments

• So I spent the creds, got provisioning, saw a market order for strawberries and thought "oh hey! I harvest those in forests with herbalism all the time!" and went to load up on them. I made sure I didn't put them in my cache or anything but I still wasn't able to fill the market order with them. Is that one of those things with other skills that will be incorporated later or is this a bug? 
  • PhoeneciaPhoenecia The Merchant of Esterport Somewhere in Attica
    Everything listed in market orders have to be filled from crops grown on your farm. Which I've discovered is extremely difficult even if you fertilize your field, and even then, you'd probably have to devote your entire farm to growing a single crop to complete it.
  • TiurTiur Producer
    @Phoenecia is right, it needs to be from a farm entirely. And there's a bit of an error in the math at the moment where the orders think you can grow more than you really can, which I'll fix once I -find- it. I'm also open to exploring ways to make them more valuable... it just feels odd to pay more for a strawberry than the cooking market sells them for.
  • ZailaZaila Pacific Time
    You could increase the yield of the plants and/or increase the prices that the market sells them for.
    I think market order quantities could probably stand to be a bit smaller? I've browsed a bunch of different farms and there's maybe a dozen or fewer people with farms, and many are all over the place in terms of what they produce. They're usually either all-in on one specific comm essential for city running/crafting (trees for wood, cotton for cloth, etc) or spread out amongst different crops.

I currently have 24 tiles dedicated to grass for 4 animals, another 24 for quick-yield regrowth crops, and 28 for other crops. Provisioning kind of forces you to choose between producing stuff for comms OR filling market orders. It's sort of impossible to do both.

Also. I would love it if we could get milk or horn from cows because I feel really bad and kind of wasteful after spending like 20 RL days making my cow happy only to just kill it for its hide to make leather. At least if we kill it for hide, could we at least get beef comms out of it?   >_>

IRL I work for a leather company, and talk to a lot of farmers in the area I work in so while I totally love Aet farming, the cows bit makes me a bit sadface. 
    ZailaNavaAymah
  • ZailaZaila Pacific Time
    Also, look at those cows, the description screams Holstein. Those be milk cows!
  • TiurTiur Producer
    Cows are just for leather, for now at least.

The quantities are where the math is broken. I'll fix it! And provisioning is supposed to make you choose, but I'll think about adding some experience to delivering caravans or something, hmm.
    Fezzix
    Yeah, I'm going to feel bad about killing my cows just for the hides. :(

I do kind of feel like marketorder deadlines ought to be extended for some crops because completing orders in a single season is next to impossible for a few of them. I've partially filled a few market orders, but it looks like the Provisioning skill doesn't provide skill increases for partials - only full order completions. Either way, leveling up Provisioning is going to take a VERY LONG time, even if you have multiple farms helping you complete orders. There's not a lot of farmers, and often not many producing the same things, and I'm not exactly fond of the idea of forcing people to make their farms a certain way just to try and fill market orders or support city functioning.
    Fezzix
  • @Phoenecia Yeah, I have some blank plots right now fertilized and ready to go for as soon as summer rolls around in game.
  • MacavityMacavity Chicago, Il
    can we get another farmplot yet?? has that been discovered on how to get another deed? I feel like provisioning will need multiple farmplots to be able to do them
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
    Kalinaar
  • Farming/production/commodity question - From 60 pieces of raw cotton, I was made 12 pieces of cloth commodity. This seems awfully low. Will this go up eventually? Am I doing something wrong? I think I read somewhere that output has to do with the city's resources/advancement?
    When you do CITY PRODUCTION INFO at a facility, it tells you how much raw material it takes to produce a single comm. For cloth, it takes 5 cotton. So yeah. About right.

The thing about cotton is that if you plant it in spring, fertilize, and keep it planted through autumn, you get a TON of cotton from the quick regrowth time.
  • KynaKyna Victoria, Australia
    @Macavity - In the future, there will be an option to own more than one plot. However, my priority right now is to at least see a full year of seasons go through to check our numbers on ONE plot before proceeding. I also want Mining and ??? to continue to get attention first, because the plan for new plots isn't as simple as allowing you to buy a new deed at the moment. There's a different plan there. I have no ETA for you yet and no spoilers I want to tease!

As for cotton @Amisi, as @Phoenecia mentioned, it grows across numerous seasons and it has a relatively fast regrowth time, allowing it to be harvested quite quickly, and in adunance, across its entire lifetime. Don't give up on the little buds!

Overall, Farming as it is, is not in its end state by any means - there is expansion plans, however major additions will not be until all of Agriculture and its skills are released to get commodity and resource generation implemented for the commodities already in game. Provisioning is the same, it will get tweaks, additions and expanded on as more of Agriculture is released.
    FezzixKalinaarAloli
  • MacavityMacavity Chicago, Il
    Kyna said:

@Macavity - In the future, there will be an option to own more than one plot. However, my priority right now is to at least see a full year of seasons go through to check our numbers on ONE plot before proceeding. I also want Mining and ??? to continue to get attention first, because the plan for new plots isn't as simple as allowing you to buy a new deed at the moment. There's a different plan there. I have no ETA for you yet and no spoilers I want to tease!.

There goes my hopes of world domination one farmplot at a time, or 50!! **sad face**

“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
  • TiurTiur Producer
    Everyone highfive @Razmael for fixing the math while I was busy doing other nonsense. Orders are MUCH more sane now.
    AloliAymah
  • RazmaelRazmael Administrator, Immortal

TeaniAloliAymahKalinaarAgothaxl
  • So I noticed a lot of the products on MARKETORDER LIST right now are not in growing season (14 out of 19 if I counted correctly... or am I looking at it wrong?). Could we get some more season-appropriate orders? It really leaves little options on orders to be fulfilled, and none of the personal orders right now.
    FezzixKalinaar
  • TiurTiur Producer
    Oops! Give me a little to finish what I'm working on, and I'll find out how season inappropriate things snuck by.
    Fezzix
  • TiurTiur Producer
    Got it! Silly function was returning 1 when it should be 0. All better, regenerated orders. They're a bit sparse for summer, but we'll get more growables over time.
    Aloli
  • But... pumpkin and strawberry (3 of the 7 orders right now) are not in season.

You ask Ives, an Elder of Kald about the particularities of growing pumpkin.
    (Tells): Ives, an Elder of Kald tells you, "Pumpkin will grow in autumn and is
    from the 'fruit' family."

You ask Ives, an Elder of Kald about the particularities of growing strawberry.
    (Tells): Ives, an Elder of Kald tells you, "Strawberry will grow in spring and
    is from the 'field' family."

Aaaand:
    You ask Ives, an Elder of Kald about what seeds are in season.
    Ives, an Elder of Kald says, "At tha moment, the seeds for blueberry, cabbage,
    corn, cotton, cucumber, grass, hemp, hop, pepper, pine, radish, tomato,
    watermelon, and wheat are in season."

Look at all those options! GO GO TIUR <3
    @Tiur Fffffffff. You removed the hops market order! I had JUST planted my entire farm with them. ;__;
    Fezzix
  • edited August 2019
    @Tiur So did I. I planted hops right at the start of summer, and they're actually in season. Guess I'm uprooting and growing peppers instead.

If this gets reversed and hops goes back up, Imma be upset.
  • TiurTiur Producer
    Blarg. I'll get back to figuring out what the problem is.
    FezzixPhoenecia
  • TiurTiur Producer
    ALRIGHT, third try. I fixed a few other weird bugs too.
    FezzixAloli
  • TekiasTekias Wisconsin
    Razmael said:

If this is Raz...I think I found Tiur (with another Raz to his right)

Formerly: Spiegel. Eidycue.

Hi.

RhyotKalinaarAymahAgothaxl
  • RhyotRhyot Bloodloch
    I love Achievement Hunter!! They're podcasts are always hilarious.

• Could the number of market orders perhaps be increased? With my field mostly planted with cucumbers right now, and the market order I was working on now gone with no replacement, I'm being faced with having to uproot most of my field and start over with another kind of crop. I don't know if it's convenient. Will market orders refresh at some point? Or more be added with time? Perhaps they should be constantly generated over time.

I feel like right now not a lot of people are doing farming and/or provisioning, and when more join in, the number of orders would be outright insufficient, especially the personal orders. Right now, for example, there's only a large order available, which I'm going to assume nobody can claim since provisioning just came out (my provisioning experience has gone up an astounding one lesson since release).

It'd be interesting to know how everyone's experience is going up, or if anyone's made a more marked advancement in this regard.
    Kalinaar
    I was the one who completed the cucumber market order a bit ago, and I still had some left over. >.>

My Provisioning skill has also only gone up one whole lesson, so I figure it's going to be super slow going.

It would be nice seeing a bit more variety in the private market orders since the only available small one is hops, which most farmers will likely be planting anyway because they have the fastest growth/regrowth.
  • TiurTiur Producer
    I will totally increase the market order creation rates! In fact, you guys could help me, if you want?

Part of the low number is that they're generated by giving an NPC desires, and letting them choose when they want to place the orders. Currently, that only makes three or four, because we've only given 10ish NPCs the power...

SO, post NPCs (need to be named) and what vegetable you think they'd want, how much you think they'd want them (we tend to scale from every season, every other, one season a year, rarely) and I'll code them in! If I use your idea, I'll toss you a couple credits for each. And yes, it's programmed to be totally extendable, so someday Datlotl can request 100 flamboyant shirts with a base material of silk.
  • TiurTiur Producer
    Oh! And provisioning experience is related to how much gold you make. Since you can't make much at the moment, it's slow. I would like to speed it up, but we're being very careful not to wreck the economy. I would like to increase the value of all vegetables, but that means I'd have to mess with the ingredient markets... might be bad.