Announce post #2991: Backgrounds

<pre>7/26/2019 at 0:36
Keroc, the Starborn
Everyone
Backgrounds

How many of you remember the background system? Well, from now on you may edit your background whenever you like and as many times as you like.

It's a great way to give your character some background information AND find others who are looking for roleplay themselves.

Neat!

You can see HELP BACKGROUND for more information on this system.

Penned by my hand on Quensday, the 11th of Severin, in the year 482 MA.</pre>
MjollKalinaarZailaAloliMoxie

Comments

• ZailaZaila Pacific Time
    Any chance there could be a clarification in HELP BACKGROUND that tells us whether or not these are intended to be ICly readable by other characters?

Having read this through, I feel unsure if making a background public is intended to be paramount to having your character's memoirs put in a public library, or if it's intended to be OOC information used to give other players ideas for hooks or RP compatibility.

In case I'm not asking my question well, I'm basically trying to ask: If I(Rebecca) read Stine's Public Background, does this mean Zaila has access to this information and can act ICly on this knowledge, or does it merely know that Rebecca knows this information?
    BenedictoXenia
  • ImvraImvra Immortal Immortal
    I believe it would be most practical to assume that publicly visible information is something that people would be able to glean in character, from rumours to word of mouth. If you do not want something to be public, keep it in a journal or notepad for your own reference, or keep your background hidden. I understand both arguments, but this seems the most pragmatic approach for the reality of a multi-player game.
    ZailaAloli
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    Public records, in the game... I assumed it would be IC and would likely have treated it that way either way. Much like honors.

Zaila