Announce post #2981: Guild Envoys

<pre>7/4/2019 at 1:54
Tiur, the Gnosis
Everyone
Guild Envoys

The Guild Envoy system is now live. HELP ENVOYS exists to describe this information, but I'll repeat it here.

Each guild must have at least 75% of its population be citizens of its home city, and maintain a voteweight of 1. If they drop below this ratio, they cannot induct a new person from their allied city until they regain that balance.

Members of a guild who are citizens of an allied city, instead of the home city, will be considered "Envoys". Envoys cannot contest for GM, outguild, withdraw gold, or transfer credits. This ensures that the guild majority is focused upon that home city, and that city's interests cannot be subsumed.

A guild that has met or exceeded the maximum envoy quantity will find they cannot INGUILD someone from an allied city.

Guild members with no city do not count for creating new envoy slots, nor do they count as an envoy.

The quantities currently round down, with a minimum of 1 envoy slot.

Guildmasters will find they now have a command, GUILD ENVOYS, that will give them a summary of their guild's current situation, including how many envoys, how many more they may support or how many over the total they have, the envoys' names, and the percentage.

Penned by my hand on Quensday, the 4th of Lanosian, in the year 481 MA.</pre>
KalinaarMoxieNavaRijettaXeniaAloli

Comments

• ZailaZaila Pacific Time
    Does this envoy/not ratio count dormant members? And how long does a player have to not log in to be dormant?
  • TiurTiur Producer
    It ignores anyone who is dormant. I'll add that to the helpfile now to be more explicit. If it didn't, it would find like 255 newbies per guild and not work at all.

It is actually written to be more forgiving than voting is to count FOR someone being in the guild... so some people who have very little playtime still contribute to increasing the number of envoys. Envoys themselves have a simple dormant/notdormant check; once they go dormant they quit eating a slot, and once they're back they immediately take it back.

I don't think we've shared what 'dormant' is, or the math behind vote weight. Someone correct me if I'm wrong! The idea here was to make something very forgiving, but not to be outright easy to abuse.
    ZailaAloli
  • So if a dormant envoy comes back and the limit is already maxed, are they grandfathered in?
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    Tiur said:

once they go dormant they quit eating a slot

I read that as quit eating a lot and got really confused.
  • TekiasTekias Wisconsin
    edited July 2019
    Fezzix said:

So if a dormant envoy comes back and the limit is already maxed, are they grandfathered in?

I think they just remove the Guild's ability to add more Envoys until the proper 3:1 ratio is achieved. Still Envoys themselves, though.
    Formerly: Spiegel. Eidycue.

Hi.

• RazmaelRazmael Administrator, Immortal
    Fezzix said:

So if a dormant envoy comes back and the limit is already maxed, are they grandfathered in?

Yes, but they will still count towards your envoy limit. e.g. if you were at exactly your envoy limit when they came back, you'd need to lose them+another person to get a free envoy slot again.
    Aloli
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    Razmael said:
    Yes, but they will still count towards your envoy limit. e.g. if you were at exactly your envoy limit when they came back, you'd need to lose them+another person to get a free envoy slot again.
    Or add a few more from/make them move to the home city.

• RhyotRhyot Bloodloch
    Sounds like an easy way to abuse a system and gridlock a guild from getting new members. 

Make a newbie. Join a guild with parent city. Quit parent city. Join sister city. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Whats to stop a guild from getting gridlocked by such actions??

• TiurTiur Producer
    Newbies are generally immune to this sort of stuff, so the system ignores them.

I would also accept "Roleplay for like 5 minutes and outguild the twerp for being a troll"

Also, I'd hardly say it would be gridlock. Only two or three guilds were affected by this change at all. And normal people can join/quit all they like, it was only people of the non-home city affected, which previous to this you couldn't inguild at all anyway.
    MjollZailaAloli
  • MacavityMacavity Chicago, Il
    Rhyot said:

Sounds like an easy way to abuse a system and gridlock a guild from getting new members. 

Make a newbie. Join a guild with parent city. Quit parent city. Join sister city. Wash, rinse, repeat.

yeah i read this system as even if you are under the % for Envoy, you can still induct and accept members from the home city, so the only thing this stops is someone from a non home city from joining till the percentages are back in line to the 3:1.
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
  • Rhyot said:

Should be considered metagaming/abuse and punished in the usual shrubby IP/account ban manner?

Pretty smart approach imo. Kudos.