Communication & Espionage Research Trees

2»

Comments

• Well Alistaire, maybe they will come out with something that boosts the Arti people as well. Maybe ylem addons to your artifacts. Say you turn in like 50 crystals and you get a white shard to stick on to a +con arti...who know.

• DemarcusDemarcus Black Flagon Inn
    Angwe said:
    I hate to bring up Achaea, but I really think the Dawnstriders set an interesting and relevant precedent for this sort of thing. Who is willing to walk in the Shadows to uphold the Light, and can you keep yourself pure? This is your test, my child.
    Dawnstriders? Who are the Dawnstriders? There is no Shallam anymore...

Also, if I recall correctly, the usual population of the Dawnstriders was like 2.2 or something like that. Nobody liked them.
  • Population and awesomeness are not proportional! Please say population and awesomeness are not proportional. =(
    HavenNolaAoiveae
  • KiyotanKiyotan spectacular vernacular Summit of the Falconmount
    Can the release of these trees be postponed to coincide with the release of those alternate methods of gathering ylem that were mentioned?
    Some may say we've lost our way, but I believe we've not gone far enough.
    PiperArekaLiancaAmaraErzsebet
  • AlistaireAlistaire Las Vegas, Nevada
    Bet you never thought you'd see players asking for something to be postponed, admins!
    LinArbreErzsebet
  • The goal is to release the new trees and the new ylem-gathering methods at the same time.
  • DemarcusDemarcus Black Flagon Inn
    Just out of mild curiosity, and forgive me being a complete and total newbie, but wouldn't it make the game more strategic if not every city was able to maintain every single tree or every tech for every tree?

I.e. you can essentially pick say three trees to fully max out or maybe two to fully max out and get a few techs into a couple other trees. Spinesreach might go hard to the paint over Espionage, and Enorian might go after Culture and Commerce, and Bloodloch might go after the Oh-So-Pretty Tech Tree and Durian will go with the Horticulture tech tree. It would be tough to balance to make sure that cities that don't have the population to support the same number of trees as other cities don't get left behind horribly because they can't compete. Maybe for that reason alone this is a god-awful idea.
  • The Dawnstriders were a small House and it worked for them because they were pretty much concentrated awesome in a sea of failure. Love that whole group. Anyway! Looks neat, can't wait to have new stuff to play with, and please for the love of god don't make the love of gods have anything to do with anything else- no Order/congregation meaning I don't get to play with icons makes me sad.

Xavin said:
    And everything Kog says ... is true.
  • IosyneIosyne the Lair
    edited December 2012

Demarcus said:
    Just out of mild curiosity, and forgive me being a complete and total newbie, but wouldn't it make the game more strategic if not every city was able to maintain every single tree or every tech for every tree?

I.e. you can essentially pick say three trees to fully max out or maybe two to fully max out and get a few techs into a couple other trees. Spinesreach might go hard to the paint over Espionage, and Enorian might go after Culture and Commerce, and Bloodloch might go after the Oh-So-Pretty Tech Tree and Durian will go with the Horticulture tech tree. It would be tough to balance to make sure that cities that don't have the population to support the same number of trees as other cities don't get left behind horribly because they can't compete. Maybe for that reason alone this is a god-awful idea.

It's an interesting concept, but if we were going to go that route we would probably have to restrict it in other ways than simply making it require more and more player effort and ylem numbers. Doing so would unfairly punish small organizations, who would never catch up.
    Amara
  • I would just say each city gets 4 trees. They get to pick them and upkeep them. They can learn all of the trees, but can only have four activated in a year. Each can be switched around, but again once you change the tree you have to wait a ig year to change it again. Four is just a random number, I would say half of the current trees available +1.

• AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    Will major foci be modified with these changes as well? To this day, I've never even seen one, and it's a bit depressing. Could just reduce how big they are and have one spawn every day or on a weekly basis or something like that, making it possible to actually fight for these.
  • edited January 2013
    I think there was only one major focus and it was done like...the week after the system was unveiled. It's my understanding that they have to be manually started.

• HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    I thought there was only one ever to exist but I think @Illidan or someone said there was at least two or three leading up to the war or something but they were discontinued due to lag or something?

But yeah, they're manually initiated.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
  • I recall 2. One was right off the release week, the second one was about 2 weeks later. If there was a third, I was not online for it.

• IosyneIosyne the Lair
    We are planning to revamp Major Foci in the near future. It may or may not coincide with the release of the two new Research trees.
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    No offense meant for the last one but this administration rocks.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    KonnornArbreLinAldricErzsebetOrisaeMinarael
  • There was two. Enorian/Duiran dominated the first one. Spinesreach/Bloodloch dominated the second with nothing but ranged combat. And so the griping about meteors/arrows/dopplegangers/teradrim began!

I believe that it was stated somewhere that they were trying to rework the way that Major foci worked due to their lopsidedness. 
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
    A lot of stuff has been brought up since this thread was posted, and there's something that I've been super curious about.

Will the Communications Ylem tree influence things related to factions, or will it do something entirely different? Because it seems like they might be overlapping and there's just so many endless possibilities in my head.

>.<
    Is all this still in the works?
  • SetneSetne The Grand Tyrant
    Seeing this pop up in the discussions list got me excited when I saw the title, then I saw it was only 1 new post by Alexina and the fact that I had already read about this means no more excitement :(

Ingram said:
    "Oh my arms are suddenly lubed"
    LinIshinDemarcus
  • Yeah, I got mostly to the bottom of the first page, thinking "This sounds AWESOME!" before I looked at the date
    TragerIshin
  • RazmaelRazmael Administrator, Immortal
    edited March 2014
    Alexina said:
    Is all this still in the works?
    Yes, although it's been put to the side for now. We'll be taking what we originally had planned for it and redoing it from the ground up.
    AlexinaSetneIshinTragerDemarcus