A Carnifex Interview

l moreya
She is a muscular Human around an average height of sixty inches with sun-kissed, smooth tan skin. Feminine and modestly curvaceous in appearance, you can tell by the certainty in her eyes and the confidence in her gait that she is not just a bubbly girl, but a woman of island origin- survival is her clothing. A slender physique, accentuated by a humble bust yet shapely hips, it is a woman's grace which defends her nature. Her eyes, almond-shaped and warm, are a deep brown; and eyebrows trimmed to follow the curve of her brow only lend to a piercing gaze. A sharp jaw, and a nose rounded at the tip denote a youthful woman, and her slender neck is shrouded by full, dark brown hair accented by select locks adorned with tribal-looking beads of turquoise, maroon, and yellow. She is wearing:
a plain grey pack
loose, baggy black pants
a dashing white corsair's shirt
a shimmering suit of full plate armour
heavy cleated boots

l toz
He is an undead herculean Azudim. Statuesque, he is of distinctly brawny build and rather tall. 
Slate grey, his skin has a distinctly leathery texture to it, rough and calloused. His hair is raven 
black, worn short and slicked back. His right ear ends in a sharp point, the tip of the left has 
been blunted by a bite, the tip missing. His eyes are small and beady, colored an icy blue. Standing 
in contrast to his large, blocky jaw, his thin lips conceal a row of dangerously sharp teeth. 
Digitigrade feet hold up his form, each ending in a three-taloned foot. From his back sprouts two 
leathery wings - each jointed to allow them to fold the patagium against his back when not in use, 
safely out of harm's way. Sinuously extending behind him is a thick tail, the tip broadening into a 
leaf-headed point.
a pair of sturdy black cotton trousers
an ivory leather pack
a dashing white corsair's shirt
a brown leather bandolier
a grisly necklace of fanged skulls
black Carnifex plate with menacing spikes

Courtyard of the Shadow Keep. (Shadow Keep.)
Long and rectangular, this stone courtyard is lined with pointed archways which support a column of upper galleries and walkways, level upon level, opening a channel to the sky. Torches line each of these archways, secured in severe steel mountings fashioned in the shape of gauntleted fists. In the center of the courtyard is a raised dais, wide enough for even the largest Azudim to comfortably stand and see over a gathered crowd. The center of the platform features a stone fountain, though the climate has turned it into little more than a statue, blacked by the elements and slick from ice. Depicting a circle of harsh-faced warriors looking out over the courtyard, the carving highlights the brutality of war, with the stony knights' cleated feet treading on heaped corpses of the fallen. Where water may have once run, the frigid cold of the mountains now only allows for ice - glistening rivulets cling to the gaunt faces of the conquered like frozen tears, while a sheen of frost as misty blue as stolen souls sheathes the warriors' weapons in an icy haze. A set of maple stocks stand here. A sigil in the shape of a small, rectangular monolith is on the ground. A large mastiff is here, growling softly. Moreya is here. She wields a brutal, jagged bardiche of the Carnifex in her hands. A murky darkness has settled in here. You see exits leading north, east, southeast, south (open pine door), southwest, and west.

Toz stalks into the courtyard, weapon sliding away with practiced ease. Turning, he faces Moreya and watches her expectantly.

You cease to wield a slender halberd of steel and obsidian in your hands, securing it conveniently on your weaponbelt.

Moreya starts to wield a brutal, jagged bardiche of the Carnifex in her hands.

Moreya shifts her eyes from side to side suspiciously.

Moreya asks, "...we're going to fight?"

Tone dry, you say to Moreya, "I'm waiting for you to salute, Initiate. The last time I fought an Initiate was during my first inspection at the Keep, and I killed both of the ones thrown into the sparring pit."

Moreya says, "Oh, I'm sorry..."

Fixing herself in a disciplined position, Moreya stands sharply at attention.

Moreya gives you a respectful salute.

You give Moreya a respectful salute.

Nodding curtly, you say to Moreya, "Passable. When you do anything formal here, if you are here for inspection, if you are here for a test, if you are here because someone told you to be here- you salute. Is that clear, Initiate?"

Moreya says, "Yes Ser."

Toz nods, moving to fold his large wings in against his back. Hands clasped behind him, he starts a slow, measured pace around Moreya, studying her intently. His talons clacking are the only noise within the shadowy courtyard.

Trying to look hard and locked, Moreya does her best but can't help as her eyes follow you trying to figure out what to do next.

Toz seems to be in no hurry, though eventually he does return to standing in front of Moreya. Nose wrinkling in distaste, he allows, "Your armor isn't shit. I had an Initiate stand here with scalemail on. I've seen your bardiche because I made it." Continuing on, waving an absent claw, "I won't waste time inspecting your vials. If you die because you don't have curatives, that isn't my problem."

Moreya listens intently, not moving an inch, half in fear, and half because she feels that's what she needs to do.

Perhaps sensing Moreya's fear, Toz's claw jerks abruptly towards her right leg. "What is that, Initiate?" he demands. "I sense a tree tattoo there. Why do you have that?" His expression 

Betraying a frown Moreya sharply responds, "Commander Moirean thought it would be important!" And then remembering, adds, "Ser!"

Toz doesn't seem shy about getting in Moreya's face, his bulky form looming over her as he growls out down at her, "Why did she think it was important, Initiate?"

Moreya does her best to maintain compsure against your intimidating visage. "I- she.. um..." Forgetting her thoughts amidst the onslaught of iquisition, she stammers to a stop.

Toz shows no intention of letting up, not quite touching Moreya, though his wings spread out to their full extent, the membrane further darkening the area beneath them. "'I-she-um' is not a reason, Initiate. What does it *do*?"

Reason flooding her mind as your question becomes more specific, Moreya quickly spews out her response, "Ithealsanyrandomafflictionexceptapparentlynotvoyria! ...Ser!"

Toz's lips twist into a smirk. Giving no indication, satisfaction or otherwise, of his opinion on the reply, he instead steps back a half-pace, lowering his face so it is even with Moreya's. In a voice barely above a whisper, he wonders, "Do I scare you, Initiate? Are you rattling in your armor?"

Eyes wide and dry Moreya opens her mouth at the sudden change in emotional stimuli. "..." You pick out the faintest of nods.

Toz's eyes consider Moreya for a moment and he straightens back up, though he doesn't move away. Voice like ice, he says, "Tell me what you are, Initiate. What is a Carnifex? And tell me of our laws."

Moreya blinks as her mind clearly goes into overdrive, cogs and other such pulleys turning as she thinks long and hard about answering your questions correctly. "I'm a Carnifex soldier? An embodiment of savage domination, and the personification of fealty!" You hear her begin to rattle of a string of pre-composed ideas from the many scrolls available to Initiates. "We are not to harm others of the guild simply because we are savage in nature, because by fealty we still have a responsibility towards the academics to further the hard work and labors of ...Lord Rahn was it?"  You can see the wheels still turning.

Toz raises a single claw, intending to cut Moreya off. "What is a Carnifex soldier? I do not want memorization, Initiate. I want understanding." Hand opening to wave in a broad gesture towards her, he continues in a level, calm tone, "What is so savage about a little girl, trembling so loudly her armor echoes in the silence of the Keep?"

Almost as an afterthought, pondering, you say, "Why are you even here wasting my time, Initiate?"

You think, "Best not push too hard. I'll be friendly when she earns her place here. But there's nothing to gain by making her hate me, either."

Moreya seems to set aside her manners as she quickly divulges her inner thoughts as provoked by the thought of missing this opportunity. "I am a tool on behalf of Lord ROAN, directed by our Commander as required, to continue the work that was initiated when our originator brought new direction to the Infernals. We have gained understanding of Savagery and the power over souls to bring about a new age of destruction to this continent. Not merely chivalrous knights with some notions of politeness, we are harbingers of Lord Roans plans to usurp the underking all together. I'd reckon we are destined to be a self-sufficient guild as we are already free of political strifes. As for a little, trembling girl? Ser Toz, do you expect an Initiate to be more savage and intimidating than one such as yourself? It is my desire to shed the same measure of trembling for a greater measure than what you wield in my developed future."

Perhaps a trick of the light, but Toz's lips seem to twitch upwards ever so slightly. "At attention, Initiate," he says, turning to take a few steps away from Moreya. "Do not move, and do not speak."

Toz twists around, tail curling through the air for balance. Straightening up to his full height, wings flaring, he begins to speak simply. "I am Ser Toz. I do not have a last name. I was cast out of my tribe at age eighteen by our corrupt chief and flew south until I reached civilization, on my own. I joined the Templars and served there." Voice beginning to rise, he continues, "I came here following Commander Moirean, abandoning my post on the *EVE* of my knighting ceremony. I abandoned false notions of justice and honor to learn two very important lessons." He slides out a distinctly heavy-looking warhammer from his weaponbelt, hefting it a few times. "There are two people in this world. Victims, and those strong enough to do as they please. The second lesson, Initiate, and the one you learn now? You are a Carnifex. You have nothing to fear."

You start to wield a blackened warhammer in your hands.

The Eldritch glyphs pulse with a pale glow as you invoke their power and press it to a blackened warhammer. Immediately the weapon responds and begins to hum as it accepts the soulstone, the frequency increasing until you feel it resonate in your very bones and the fusion of power is complete. With the stone lodged firmly into a blackened warhammer, you watch as the symbols shimmer over its exterior, a visual testament to the powerful magics contained therein.

Moreya maintains her stance, understanding coming into her mind as she watches you closely.

Gaze leveling on Moreya, you say, "After all. The only thing they can do is kill you."

With a herculean bellow of anger, you allow battle lust to over take you as you fly into a rage.

Your muscles bulge with deadly strength as your tighten your grip upon your hammer.

A deafening roar fills your head and momentarily drowns out all other noise as you harness your powers to sacrifice your own soul.

Twirling a blackened warhammer above your head, you quickly hurl it towards Moreya. The projectile hammer slams head-first into her chest, leaving her dazed and winded.
The force of the blow drives Moreya to her knees.
The hammer swiftly returns to your hand.

As his hammer returns to his hands, you say to Moreya, "Do you understand, Initiate? Even if I continue to crush you, what do you have to fear? The Keep was plagued, for a time. With those who were afraid. Those who were disloyal. With those who were *weak*."

Toz regains his composure, warhammer sliding away once more. "Get up, Cohort. Work to become one of us, and never fear again."

Moreya says to you, "Yes Ser."

You bestow your guildfavour on Initiate Moreya.

Moreya says, "Thank you Ser."

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
(Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

DamonicusDharTsvanniMoireanLiancaEzalorBakhtuh

Comments

• Maybe I should have went Carni instead of BB.........

• TsvanniTsvanni The Inner Gate

Toz seems to be in no hurry, though eventually he does return to standing in front of Moreya. Nose wrinkling in distaste, he allows, "Your armor isn't shit. I had an Initiate stand here with scalemail on. I've seen your bardiche because I made it." Continuing on, waving an absent claw, "I won't waste time inspecting your vials. If you die because you don't have curatives, that isn't my problem."

that initiate was me.... ((Insert Sad face....))
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Ooh, awesome and fun read. Toz is pretty intimidating, and Moreya's reactions are amusing and believable. I really like how you use the think emotes - I've only just tried using them lately, but they seem like a cool way to help express things to yourself to clarify what your character would do next.

Reason flooding her mind as your question becomes more specific, Moreya quickly spews out her response, "Ithealsanyrandomafflictionexceptapparentlynotvoyria! ...Ser!"

That cracked me up - I just got the image of her dying to voyria, trying frantically to touch her tree. Lesson learned!

• She actually did die to voyria. After frantically trying to touch her tree. We went hunting before the interview. Also, major props to her for not being afraid to RP being afraid.

oh wait, toz is famous

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

you disgust me

Haven
  • EzalorEzalor Emperor D'baen Canada
    Moirean said:
    Ooh, awesome and fun read. Toz is pretty intimidating, and Moreya's reactions are amusing and believable. I really like how you use the think emotes - I've only just tried using them lately, but they seem like a cool way to help express things to yourself to clarify what your character would do next.

That cracked me up - I just got the image of her dying to voyria, trying frantically to touch her tree. Lesson learned!

The think command also lets you interact with people who can use stuff like Telepathy or Blood Monitor. Also Gods.
  • For those of you who dunno, you can do < think, "Stuff goes here, theoretically!" to send an emote-colored echo to yourself. People with mind sapience on will see what you input, so they can 'read your mind'.

oh wait, toz is famous

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

you disgust me

• I'm sorry, what is mind sapience and blood monitor again?
    imageimage "Little pig, little pig, let me in, let me in. You look tasty and smell like bacon." *LICKLICKLICK*
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    Blood monitor is a vampire skill where they can see all of the commands their childe enters (at a mana loss, IIRC).  Mind sapience is a monk skill that does the same.