So, Questing.

Comments

• Oooh Job/Mission boards would be super cool.

Like quest bounties!!!
  • AnteheAntehe Immortal
    Not quite, or at least, not just yet. This would just be something you READ.

Some other coding things I don't really understand are involved for an interactive job/mission board, but I'm very good at nodding and smiling.
    Oonagh
  • Antehe said:

Not quite, or at least, not just yet. This would just be something you READ.

Some other coding things I don't really understand are involved for an interactive job/mission board, but I'm very good at nodding and smiling.

Also the same.

Still new things are exciting and that makes me a happy frog. Keep up the good work pools friends.
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    I like the job posting style a lot!

• AnteheAntehe Immortal
    Something like this, but with some colourised text?
    A job board is here, covered in sheets advertising needed work. [Hint]: READ BOARD to see where you can help! +===========================[ Help Wanted ]===========================+ | | | Novices: | | - Dasam in Rahveir needs supplies to renew his protective ward. | | - Teriam in Rahveir seeks aide in slaying Ghyllia. | | | | Citizens: | | - Belok in Khauskin is searching for lost pick axes. | | - Timol in Mamashi seeks help against the Mit'olk enslavers. | | | +=====================================================================+
    OonaghZailaTeaniLeana
  • i think i'm gonna do the 'make a scroll with some quests' thing for the indorani, maybe for bloodloch in general as well (if i feel like i can come up with enough for each so they aren't just duplicates). seems like a nice idea. good thinking, folks.
    Indoran'i is back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (wolf Howl)
    An Atzob cultist says, "Is a shamatato as tasty as a potato?"
    (Tells): From afar, Mephistoles hisses harshly to you, "Hey baby, show me your ovipositor?"
    The mighty Jy'Barrak Golgotha opens his maw, catches the glowing spear in his many jagged teeth, and chomps down. The Divine spear breaks with a noise like thunder, shards toppling from the Emperor's jaws. "OM NOM NOM!" He declares, then spits the last of the ruined weapon from his lips.

Kalinaar
  • EowynEowyn Somewhere
    Vyxsis said:

i think i'm gonna do the 'make a scroll with some quests' thing for the indorani, maybe for bloodloch in general as well (if i feel like i can come up with enough for each so they aren't just duplicates). seems like a nice idea. good thinking, folks.

Totally have done this in Enorian today. If it wasn't done in Eowyn-voice, I'd share.
  • ZailaZaila Pacific Time
    Yeah! This is what I had in mind! Like ya'll were saying, I imagined cities would wisely assign a town crier to say something like "Looking for work? Check out (Vnum/CHELP/whatever method of information dissemination applies) and (any commands necessary to utilize list)!"

I know of a couple Enorian-based quests and Spines based quests, but that's all. I am a terrible quester, so I don't know many at all, but I am kinda excited about the idea of this being a thing so I can go find more quests! I always enjoy quests, but I am just terrible at finding them.

The players could all agree to put together a CHELP on the topic for their cities with a list of quests, etc., but I think it'd be a cool feature to actually have a place where characters can go and read it and stuff - it would make a handy spot to sit around and meet new people who're looking for stuff to do, too!
  • sounds like other than making signs (which i could do, actually), the interactive job board thing is (at best) a little ways off. i'm compiling lists and trying to jog my memory of/discover more quests to add before i put up scrolls. i might throw in a couple that don't necessarily pay well but have Lore/Story just to be tricksy (and try to introduce newbs to the fiction of the game, rather than *only* the endless grind for Total Domina- er, mechanical stuff).
    Indoran'i is back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (wolf Howl)
    An Atzob cultist says, "Is a shamatato as tasty as a potato?"
    (Tells): From afar, Mephistoles hisses harshly to you, "Hey baby, show me your ovipositor?"
    The mighty Jy'Barrak Golgotha opens his maw, catches the glowing spear in his many jagged teeth, and chomps down. The Divine spear breaks with a noise like thunder, shards toppling from the Emperor's jaws. "OM NOM NOM!" He declares, then spits the last of the ruined weapon from his lips.

Zaila
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    More competition for the best~ quests and more data on how they are used might help with tweaking them too.
    Zaila
  • SessizlikSessizlik Muffin Mage
    I honestly don't see what the issue is with finding and learning quests. There has been books in the game that provide very good questing information, even though they are somewhat outdated. If you don't want to read, walk around and look for named people, cause they are the most likely to need work done. And then experiment. It's what we've all had to do in the past.

I'm just starting to feel like everything is served on a silver platter these days. People get endgame before they hit age 19 thanks to all the buffs available. There are free systems for those who like combat. And now there's gonna be lists with quests? Where's the adventure?! Where's the challenge?
    Zaila
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    Outside
    OonaghEmirRhyotKalinaar
  • edited April 2018
    As a humble frogs opinion...

If its written in a book = Written in a city help file - both are accessible in game, both equivalently handled information.
    I am not truly seeing where the difference is. We reference how to do many things in help scrolls to help a whole variety of citizens for ease of access, I consider those IC, scrolls...as do many others, it is assumed they are read on your own time for the knowledge within.

If anything a scroll compared to a book is just saving paper, and text trees...and thats a good thing.
    No more "silver plattered" than another are both of these solutions.
    In that case, I wonder if I can ask for an offensive system, so I can help with combat. Cause not everyone has that yet.
  • Oonagh said:

As a humble frogs opinion...

If its written in a book = Written in a city help file - both are accessible in game, both equivalently handled information.
    I am not truly seeing where the difference is. We reference how to do many things in help scrolls to help a whole variety of citizens for ease of access, I consider those IC, scrolls...as do many others, it is assumed they are read on your own time for the knowledge within.

If anything a scroll compared to a book is just saving paper, and text trees...and thats a good thing.
    No more "silver plattered" than another are both of these solutions.

I am inclined to agree with this. The role of libraries in the game has changed substantially - and imo, for the better - since the introduction of orghelps. Libraries now slant toward the presentation of long-form information that'd be clumsy in orghelp format, and they're not used for general information, including - for example - quests.

I'm not proposing we exhaustively document every single quest, but there is a balance somewhere between that and total ignorance. I think it's fair to suggest that other quests are merely hinted at by means of this mechanism - preserving the air of adventure and mystery that is mostly gone for us oldbies, but which might enchant a newer audience.

tl;dr: consider this a vote in favor of partial CHELP documentation, since I think making some quests more accessible is worth it.
    OonaghZaila
  • I'm working on a system right now, Sunder is out there cause @Jory is killing it rn, Mayhem exists, Source has pk stuff built in. There's also CATS if you're in the Carnifex guild and lifers have AFFT/had AFFT. Lots of stuff like that out there and lots more willing to help you code. I'd be here all day if O was @ing people who I've helped with code and I'm not really even that helpful- Jory/Trikal/Vyxsis/Emir have prob helped loads more than me, too. There's tons of resources out there for bashing, for pk, for fishing and for leylining.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

Zaila
    Not gonna exhaust the questing thread with that, but I don't think there are any up to date systems for Mush client. If there are, please, send me a pm.

A few quests in a scroll, sure, I can't see a problem with that. But I just wonder where it will stop. How many quests? How much help with what to say and do? What will people demand? And where will that leave those of us who have actually actively learned quests? I don't want to see us lose all of our quests to the masses.
  • I assumed, at best, the scrolls and board would just tell you where to go, and who to talk to. Not walk you through the entire quest.

EmirZailaTeani
    There's currently a scroll in Eno with around 75 quests, some with less instructions, some with very specific ones. But perhaps I'm the only one thinking this takes the fun out of things.
    Kalinaar
  • I despise questing with every fibre of my being, so there is never fun for me. But I need gold to do crap and bashing isn't gonna pay the bills.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

EvalyneKalinaar
  • EowynEowyn Somewhere
    Sessizlik said:

There's currently a scroll in Eno with around 75 quests, some with less instructions, some with very specific ones. But perhaps I'm the only one thinking this takes the fun out of things.

At this point, honestly, I see it as 'if you don't want to know, don't use it. If you do and you aren't good at figuring these things out, here's some stuff to get you started'. It should make life a lot easier for the wave of new players we've been getting lately. I'd rather keep people around and able to buy what they need then worry about what my own opinion on questing is.
    ShachalaiZailaOonagh
  • Sessizlik said:

I think that with the current size of our playerbase, we have very little to gain from hiding one of the core draws of our game behind arbitrary information barriers.

If people want this information in an easily-accessible format, and other players are willing to provide it, then nobody is getting hurt, and more areas of the game are being used as intended.

If someone doesn't want this information, it seems trivial to avoid it and to research the game on one's own terms, if that's how they like it.
    RhyotZailaEowynOonaghEvalyne
  • EliadonEliadon Somewhere Over the Rainbow
    ^ More or less how almost all modern MMORPGs do it.
    RhyotZailaEowynOonagh
    For an imperfect comparison, I think of this proposed feature like having a "hints" button on my solitaire game. If I don't want to use it and want to figure it out myself, I don't have to touch it, but if I am stuck and I want some direction, it's there for me to use!

And I certainly don't begrudge anyone else for using the hints or not, aetolia and solitaire are games and all about having fun whichever way is fun for you!
    OonaghEvalyne
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    Prima strategy guide!
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    I don't mind a few locations and names added in a scroll to help people get started and learn where to go to earn some sweet gold. However, I would prefer if the whole quest line is not explicitly written out. Perhaps add character names of people you can ask for help if you get stuck? 

• EvalyneEvalyne A Coffin
    Tools are made available, they do not have to be used; if you do not like to use them, then refrain from their use, it's as simple as that. I feel the other segment of that argument - where you feel belittled by other people having easy access to information previously hoarded, well I can only think of that one quote from Alpha Centauri: "Beware he whom would deny you access to information, for in his head he dreams himself your master."
  • I thought listing quest information in that format was against the forum rules.
    http://forums.aetolia.com/discussion/2450/regarding-the-no-quest-information-forum-rule

My understanding was this was done to prevent a decay in the user interactions needed to find out these quests IC.

The admins closed that thread saying they stood by the policy and it wasn't going to change.

I feel like by putting all of these in an official in game document it is almost a loophole in what was the spirit of the rule.

But, that's just my two cents.
    SessizlikTeani
    That thread is talking about giving this information out on the forum, OOCly. What is being discussed in this thread is having this information more freely available ICly.

Also, I think it is a great sign if the admin see something wasn't working as planned and change their stance on it (although, that isn't really the case in this particular situation)
    Vyxsis
  • I just feel it is a wonky game mechanic. Many others are saying things more along the lines of if you don't want the spoilers don't look at the scroll.

If it's spoilers, should it really be in game?

What is the effective difference between having an omni scroll in game an having an omni posting on the forum?

Is it that my character can give a plausible place where he learned it?

If that is the case, was that the main reason the admins prevented listing quest details on forums.

Perhaps, but I don't believe so. I think it was to force us to interact face to face in the game.
    The omni quest scrolls, they are an end run around that concept.
    I like the idea quests are hard to find secret Easter egg things personally. It leaves some mystery in a game that's been around a while.