MAD 2: MADDEN'S MADDENING.

1187188189190191193»

Comments

• SaritaSarita Empress of Bahir'an The Pillars of the EarthPosts: 687Member, Guildmaster ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Ishin The House subcommittee panel thing that's reviewing all the bills now or whatever just shot down one to decriminalize marijuana, so I can't see them going farther and considering legalizing it anytime soon.

It should really just get legalized on the national level though. Then it won't matter where we live.
    ZailaIshin
  • EowynEowyn SomewherePosts: 49Member ✭✭✭
    Sarita said:

@Ishin The House subcommittee panel thing that's reviewing all the bills now or whatever just shot down one to decriminalize marijuana, so I can't see them going farther and considering legalizing it anytime soon.

It should really just get legalized on the national level though. Then it won't matter where we live.

Yeah, but you know, it's a gateway drug! It's the worst of them all! We can't go legalizing it nationwide. Heck, we should retract state's from being able to do it as it's not their right!

NOTE: Yes, I'm being a smart butt right now and do not think these things. Just..saying what people in my state, just below you all, likes to say.
  • ZailaZaila Pacific TimePosts: 306Member ✭✭✭✭
    Living in Washington State is a beautiful thing.

West Coast, Best Coast!
  • KasimirKasimir Clearwater, FLPosts: 31Member ✭✭
    Toz said:

I had a Jack in the Box where I used to live have Kiosks where you can order everything. I loved it. They took it out after a couple years because it kept breaking down, and the managers were too lazy to keep it stocked with change.

I have a brand new McDonald's here that has Kiosks... That are completely disabled all the time. It's frustrating how much Andromeda Strain (book) was right.
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee Posts: 1,882Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    My bro worked at mcdonalds while they were doing the like SELF ORDERING TABLET WALL thing. It isn't that they broke it's that they made a company wide decision to stop using them. It just wasn't working from a business/efficiency standpoint. They had to have a separate kitchen setup practically to deal with the orders as is was designed to facilitate like the "Build ur own burger" thing. It was costing them more money than it made them basically. I think people basically sucked at doing their own orders and it just didn't work with their like GOTTA GO FAST thing

• IshinIshin Retired Lurker VirginiaPosts: 1,759Member, Guildmaster ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Sarita - Any idea why it was shot down?
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • XavinXavin Posts: 1,439Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Aishia They basically have to build their business around the made to order model instead of the 'this is the default, special orders handled different'.

• SaritaSarita Empress of Bahir'an The Pillars of the EarthPosts: 687Member, Guildmaster ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Ishin Everything I saw about it was really short, and didn't give much more than the numbers who voted for and against it (6-1, if you were wondering.) Maybe I'm being cynical, but I'm tempted to say it's the same reason all the other bills are getting rejected. Republicans have a one person majority on the committee because of their one person majority in the House, so they can basically do whatever crap they want.
    Ishin
  • AxiusAxius where I amPosts: 177Member ✭✭✭
    I've had the flu for the last week, it's been horrible, I've been basically relegated to my room, and quarantined. if I leave my room, it's with a mask and gloves on to keep my family from getting sick. This also means that I'm pretty much 'out of touch' with my family beyond them bringing food and leaving it on a dresser just inside my door for me to get it from.

The first time I've left my room without anything but the mask (I wiped my hands down with hand-wipes before I left, but that's kind of beside the point), it was because my grandmother had fallen. She had fallen and I was one of the two people necessary to help pick her up off the floor and help her to and from the restroom. This stressed her out immensely, because it's always a scary situation to her, her knees buckle beneath her because she is not a woman who exercises regularly, and she eats because she's bored. And then complains that she's afraid to exercise or leave the house because she might fall and hurt herself. Well, after falling today, she suffered... something. It wasn't a stroke, it wasn't a heartattack. All I know is that she just became immediately confused, she couldn't recognize me, my brother, any of our animals, and barely recognized my mother. I don't even think she remembered my uncle. She just was talking about her mother being alive, and became distressed when she looked at the calendar she kept hanging in her room, and the memorial picture of my grandfather she kept close at hand next to his folded flag (ex-navy). They (the doctors at the hospital) think it's too much carbon in her system -right now- as a result of too much oxygen or something, but they're not sure. I'm stuck at home while everyone else but me and -possibly- one other person went up to join her in the ICU up in the big city. I'm stressed beyond all belief, I feel like my chest hurts, and the only report that I've gotten so far is 'I don't know, she hasn't woken up and she's cold as ice." This isn't.. uncommon for diabetes sufferers (She's had it under control..well.. as under control as you can call it for someone who eats because all she can do with her sedentary lifestyle is watch TV, eat, and play games/post on facebook on the computer which is less than half a step away from her bed), but it's unnaturally so if my mother has distinctly -mentioned- it. They've got her hooked up to a lot of machines right now. And all I can think of, 'is the woman who raised me while my mother had to work multiple jobs to try and care for me as a single mother might try to do going to be leaving me this soon?" and I'm not in a good place mentally right now. All I can do is wait and stress and feel awful emotionally, physically, and mentally.
    Teani
    Sounds like dementia to me.
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    Also, @Sarita, wtf is a one-person majority?
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • KodaKoda Posts: 103Member ✭✭✭
    @Axius I can absolutely relate there. My grandmother started falling, and shortly after that she was moved to the hospital with similar memory issues. I've since moved her in with me and take full-time care of her.

Make sure they get a check on her nutrient levels with bloodwork. My grandma had started cutting back on eating, and it led to nutritional deficiencies. Depending on what your grandmother's eating, it could be similar in that the food she's eating might not be the most nutritious/fulfilling for some of the vitamins she's looking for. Thiamine in particular was one of the nutrients my grandmother was grossly deficient in, and that can lead to memory loss and the likes. After she had her levels replenished at the hospital her memory got a bit better. It took the hospital staff entirely too long to find this out.

Further memory loss now is being attributed to brain radiation she'd previously had - has your grandmother ever had that done? It took about a year and a half for that to hit, and it was pretty sudden, but a result of decreased white brain matter thanks to the radiation.

Either way, I hope it gets better for you and her. It's tough, but you can only take it one day at a time. Stressing and working yourself up about it (particularly while you yourself are struggling with the flu and sickness) will only make your own recovery slower and harder. Easier said than done, I know, but having been there and done that, you need to be on your A game to help manage everything going on.
    Mariena
  • EowynEowyn SomewherePosts: 49Member ✭✭✭
    For over a year now, I've been "managing" a lot of just general pain. Mostly in my right side starting from around the neck down even to the top of my foot. It comes and goes, but has getting worse each time it comes back. Saw a doctor finally, because I've barely been able to do my work (which is all computer-based) and finally get setup for physically therapy. But, got a prescription until I get to go in. It's making me so ridiculously tired. I was ALREADY tired all the time, from not sleeping well, now I'm not sleeping well and also just tired from pills. Happy, happy, joy, joy.
    I ordered some stuff that was fairly expensive and needs a signature verification to be dropped off. It's stuff that's kind of large, fragile, and not something I want to take risks with if I miss the delivery and have to get it from their storage place. Several days ago, I got an email saying that it would be delivered today before the end of the day. I did everything I could to make sure I wouldn't miss that delivery. I got up early, made sure I was near a window where I could see the front walkway, and even opened the front door when I left the room to get lunch or use the bathroom. I even skipped a morning exercise class that I usually go to just in case it came early.

I've been keeping an eye on the online tracker thing, and it was marked as "out for delivery" or whatever around 12 am this morning. Just about 6:30 pm, the arrival time changed to tomorrow, before the end of the day. I wasted part of a day and need to do this all again tomorrow.

• TeaniTeani Evening Sky SwedenPosts: 1,874Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Large and small frustrations.
    1. My work is slowly but surely killing me. I can see the wall in the distance and know that I will slam right into it if I don't do something soon. What they thought would be possible at the beginning of the semester was just a dream. Math and logistics are catching up, meaning it's just not possible to squeeze in 100% work in the time allotted for 40%. At least they can't say I didn't try. Meeting boss on Wednesday. 

2. Router broke, so no internet until new one is delivered. I'll be back as soon as I can. 

• EvalyneEvalyne A CoffinPosts: 29Member ✭✭
    I really wish that I could get out of this place. I also wish being in it wasn't so expensive to begin with, Im poor as all arse to begin with.
    "Those whom do not see malice and suffering as beautiful, have not seen it as I have seen it."
    ~ Evalyne Ve'kahi
    Author of the Valkyrior system.