Mage Revamp Lies. LIES.

TiurTiur Producer
edited January 2018 in Aetolia Development
It's time for a teaser of the Mage Revamps! They're at a stage that I feel comfortable upping the hype... at least, upping the hype in an obtuse and silly way.

Skills work, in testing & messaging for everything. A few skills are still in the "HOW I MAKE WORK?!" phase, but that's only like 4.

Sciomancers:
Gravitation:(All new) - Skills work, in testing & messaging
Singularity Unlock the power of the singularity. Expand Grow your singularity. Recall Return your well back to you from afar. Featherstep Your mastery of gravity lets you traverse water without a care. Home Transport yourself to your gravity well
Sciomancy: (About 50% new)
Shadow Attune to use the element of Shadow. Blast Blast your victim with a bolt of power. Nightsight See through darkness. Bane After a delay, scourge your victim with an affliction. Night Call forth magical darkness to obscure your surroundings. Shadowprice Empower your Shadow spells at the cost of your own well-being.
Sorcery: (Mostly old)

Ascendril:
Thaumaturgy: (All new)
Fulcrum Create and carefully tend a rift between planes. Collapse Release the magics that bind your fulcrum. Storage Hide your valuables from detection. Anchor Affix your fulcrum to a point in space. Push Move your fulcrum to another.
Elemancy: (About 50% new)
You know the following Fire spells: Ignite Render them ablaze with a snap of your fingers. Scry Seek out another’s location. Evaporate Remove traces of water from your location. * Scorch A gout of flame will cripple their limbs. You know the following Air spells: Gust Knock your target from your location. * Pressurize A sudden shift in local air pressure. * Lightning Shock your victim with a burst of electricity. * Windlance Send a spear of air to pierce their shields.
Arcanism: (Mostly old)

Note, that's all coding. Abilities are all planned. Old things don't get factored in until I get around to copy pasting them, so the percents are tricky.

That's pretty disappointing information there. So.. here's some affliction teasers!

hypothermia: Take extra cold damage, cannot gain insulation defence, cannot cure shivering
magic_fire (temp name): Requires double mending to cure ablaze
trick_flame (temp name): Keeps track of ablaze stacks, so when you cure them, they start again from that number next time

Ascendril:
Very planning based. Abilities alter their effects based on previous abilities or current states of the target.
The return of the Air element! Earth remains solidly held by the Sorcerer Kings.

Sciomancer:
Very give/take based. Abilities gain more power by sacrificing more, powerful passives that lock out actives.
To heck with boring elements, they're for utility skills... ALL IN ON SHADOW

(All of this is lies. I reserve the right to change things in production. I will respond to the thread's questions and maybe chime in. Successful guesses of things will be confirmed! Unless I lie.)
NilsRazmaelFezzixBenedictoHammarKynaXavinNolaTekiasLeanaLinSatomiIshinKelliaraKalakMarienaTeaniEliadonArbre

Comments

• So am I to assume that the Elemental Planes will no longer be tethered to Spirit or Shadow?
  • Mage Limb Route When?
    Indoran'i is back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (wolf Howl)
    An Atzob cultist says, "Is a shamatato as tasty as a potato?"
    (Tells): From afar, Mephistoles hisses harshly to you, "Hey baby, show me your ovipositor?"
    The mighty Jy'Barrak Golgotha opens his maw, catches the glowing spear in his many jagged teeth, and chomps down. The Divine spear breaks with a noise like thunder, shards toppling from the Emperor's jaws. "OM NOM NOM!" He declares, then spits the last of the ruined weapon from his lips.

LeanaHaven
  • TiurTiur Producer
    @Fezzix Elemental planes don't work like that. Cosmology is difficult, orreries should help with that!

@Vyxsis Fire is limb-routeish.
    Vyxsis
  • TekiasTekias Wisconsin
    edited November 2017
    Sciomancers turning into Dragon Ball Z warriors confirmed. SUPER SAIYA-GIN!

>.> Get it...cause our skills are G S S?...Plz be a lie

Looks good! I won't take a guess, I'll just let the hype train choo and choo
    Formerly: Spiegel. Eidycue.

Hi.

• RazmaelRazmael Administrator, Immortal
    Tekias said:

>.> Plz be a lie

SSG stands for Super Saiyan God you noob. Gawd.
    BenedictoLeanaLinHavenIshinVyxsisRunasEmirAeden
  • TekiasTekias Wisconsin
    Razmael said:

Tekias said:

>.> Plz be a lie

You caught me. I haven't seen DB since the Buu saga...

Hi.

• @Tiur So based on this, Ascendril will have access to Fire, Water, Air, and Spirit for their whole array of abilities, and Sciomancers will be using Shadow for their active effects. Will Sciomancers still be using Air and Earth for some things? Will they be gaining access to Fire or Water again?

• TiurTiur Producer
    Tertiary skillset is more of a generic mage ability set. Uses lots of elements. Kinda like, Mage 101 things. The other two skillsets are more in line with the flavors I detailed above.
    Leana
  • Tiur said:

Tertiary skillset is more of a generic mage ability set. Uses lots of elements. Kinda like, Mage 101 things. The other two skillsets are more in line with the flavors I detailed above.

Will the theme of the classes be revolved about the specialization of these elements or will Ascendril has some 'Gotta get that sweet, sweet earth magic back' rp to their changes?

Likewise, will Sciomancers be given the track that, 'The other elements pale when faced with SHADOW' and that'll be their 'focus' for new members? A sort of, "We can channel the elements, but they all suck so we use them for minor things," mentality?

• TiurTiur Producer
    So, the whole Air/Earth - Shadow 'tether' thing was Galleus, and it was never explained. It actually predates tethers. So no worries there, we'll make sure any into story comes with cosmology explanations about the movements of planes.

I think the Ascendril's method of doing these connections to planes will explain why they're not doing the Earth Plane. It is a weird place, anyway.

I think the Sciomancer mentality will be similar to that? More like... Shadow needs to be used, there -is- a balance.. and hey, those other elements were wussy anyway.
    LeanaVyxsisKelliara
  • Kinda wish there was a 'hype' button beside the LOL button, for moments like these.

• AxiusAxius where I am
    Razmael said:

Tekias said:

>.> Plz be a lie

...It always stood for Sar-Sargoth to me..and always will. Even if I do enjoy watching Dragon Ball (and sometimes DBZ)
    Rum
  • so NuScio is gonna explode Sapience, finally forcing us to move to Albedos, right?
    (Tells): From afar, Mephistoles hisses harshly to you, "Hey baby, show me your ovipositor?"
    The mighty Jy'Barrak Golgotha opens his maw, catches the glowing spear in his many jagged teeth, and chomps down. The Divine spear breaks with a noise like thunder, shards toppling from the Emperor's jaws. "OM NOM NOM!" He declares, then spits the last of the ruined weapon from his lips.

Leana
  • TiurTiur Producer
    edited November 2017
    Those plans are gone. Can you imagine giving up the sheer quantity of assets that is Sapience?

MOAR HYPE
    Singularity Unlock the power of the singularity. Expand Grow your singularity. Recall Return your well back to you from afar. Featherstep Your mastery of gravity lets you traverse water without a care. Home Transport yourself to your gravity well
    NilsRunasLeanaVyxsisMarienaTeani
  • @Tiur I know it's a bit early, but I was curious how enchantment will be handled. Will there be an option to exchange your current Mercantile with it? Freeing up the lessons for the new skillset?

VyxsisMarienaZaila
  • Tiur said:

Can you imagine giving up the sheer quantity of assets that is Sapience?

yes, and it gets me all... excited.

• AishiaAishia Queen Bee

AnteheHavenKalakVyxsisEliadonAeden
  • TekiasTekias Wisconsin
    Tiur said:

Those plans are gone. Can you imagine giving up the sheer quantity of assets that is Sapience?

MOAR HYPE

Hi.

IshinAeden
  • Air and Earth were always favourite elements of mine, it would be sad if Air themes are thoroughly neglected for Sciomancers. Though excited for the Shadow element getting its representation finally. Kalak shall have a great field day.

@Axius Yeah SSG reminds me Sar-Sargoth as well. And all the good times within MKO back then.

Regardless, I can already feel that...my singularity is growing...
    Rum
  • TiurTiur Producer
    Leana said:

@Tiur I know it's a bit early, but I was curious how enchantment will be handled. Will there be an option to exchange your current Mercantile with it? Freeing up the lessons for the new skillset?

Oooh, already this thread makes itself useful! I didn't even think of the poor Mages who have a Mercantile already! Most likely we'll do the class change as we always have, with a refund of lessons. Then maybe the people who had Trans Enchantment AND a Mercantile can have a temp command to CHANGE MERCANTILE to swap Trans for Trans Enchantment. That sounds doable and fair.

And yes, @Aishia! Enchantment has to become Mercantile... which also means it is being changed up quite a bit to mix in with the other mercantile skills.

@Tekias Thank you for being excited. Excitement helps me keep the enthusiasm going, because sometimes the code mines are dreary.

Fulcrum Create and carefully tend a rift between planes. Collapse Release the magics that bind your fulcrum. Storage Hide your valuables from detection. Anchor Affix your fulcrum to a point in space. Push Move your fulcrum to another.
    KalakLeana
  • @Tiur Whole Space&Time vibes (and the word Rift) reminds me Tsurani Great Ones...Boss-man you will make me cry.

By the way, will you keep the AoE passive themes (like in Crystalism making Mages first to go down as usual!) for any of those classes?
  • TekiasTekias Wisconsin
    Tiur said:

@Tekias Thank you for being excited. Excitement helps me keep the enthusiasm going, because sometimes the code mines are dreary.

I'll never not be excited about this, Big T.

Hi.

• TiurTiur Producer
    They both are still the kings of AoE, but we have split it into 'types', so to speak. Sciomancers have a limited number of passives to maintain, but with greater impact. Ascendril have less powerful, easy to keep, ranged sorts.
    KalakVyxsis
  • alright, well, AoE touches on what i was (extremely indirectly) getting at with the exploding Sapience thing - that is:

are mages still going to be top dog of Killing Their Own Groups?

• TekiasTekias Wisconsin
    Well, I mean...if you WANT us to...I could work into my system a TKFT script.

Hi.

Vyxsis
  • edited November 2017
    Vyxsis said:

alright, well, AoE touches on what i was (extremely indirectly) getting at with the exploding Sapience thing - that is:

I hereby claim the right to spoil things because I want to field this one.

Inducing a calamity will cause your fulcrum to erupt in a catastrophic explosion shortly after, dealing heavy damage to all present. You may cast this ability up to three times while the calamity forms, with each enhancing the resulting strength. If the calamity has been charged more than once, it will destroy your fulcrum entirely, preventing you from interacting with planar forces until it is reconstructed.

The type of damage your calamity will cause is based on its enriched element - if not specified, it will simply do magical damage.
    KelliaraVyxsisZaila
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    Valdus in the house.
  • Valdus said:

Vyxsis said:

alright, well, AoE touches on what i was (extremely indirectly) getting at with the exploding Sapience thing - that is:

I hereby claim the right to spoil things because I want to field this one.

Inducing a calamity will cause your fulcrum to erupt in a catastrophic explosion shortly after, dealing heavy damage to all present. You may cast this ability up to three times while the calamity forms, with each enhancing the resulting strength. If the calamity has been charged more than once, it will destroy your fulcrum entirely, preventing you from interacting with planar forces until it is reconstructed.

The type of damage your calamity will cause is based on its enriched element - if not specified, it will simply do magical damage.
    hey @Eliadon - hope is not lost! you can still act as a shadow sleeper agent an overzealous defender of light by helping shadow win majors destroying all life in a room!

• also, tbc, my weird, overbearing presence in this thread is intended as an expression of how extremely hype i am. can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait

TekiasEliadon
  • EliadonEliadon Somewhere Over the Rainbow
    Vyxsis said:

hey @Eliadon - hope is not lost! you can still act as a shadow sleeper agent an overzealous defender of light by helping shadow win majors destroying all life in a room!

8DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Vyxsis
This discussion has been closed.