Quick RP Questions

1234568»

Comments

• Telepathy has two eavesdropping skills - Listen and Sapience. If I recall correctly, Listen only lets you hear inbound tells, so to get the full story you would have to run both at once. (Listen and Sapience). Although, I think Sapience was toned down recently, so that part may no longer be relevant.
    Xenia
  • KodazaKodaza Los Angeles
    Does Aetolia (the planet) have tectonic plates?

• Well there's burning hot magma and continents but who knows if we even know that.
  • Are tsol'aa pretty much relegated to "omg im a prety elf u gaiz glomp ^_^" with their descriptions, or is there generally a good bit of wiggle room? Are beards a doable thing?
  • KynaKyna Victoria, Australia
    edited October 2017
    You will find most races have a fair bit of wiggle room to allow players to add unique flavor to their characters. Tsol'aa are usually willowy and lithe with their pointed ears, characteristically. There are some with beards, some clean shaven. Run with their main characteristics however you would like! I presume you read HELP TSOL'AA in game which contains most of the information to be aware of.
    Angroth
  • Runas's first husband was a Tsol'aa that had a beard...and Runas himself is purple with elemental eyes....like the Suramar Elves in WoW

So...I mean have fun..
    Angroth
  • Is there much precedent for demonic/daemonic/lesser extra-planar beings?

I know there's demons in the Vortex (which I haven't gotten around to looking at yet), but I can find little information beyond the chaos planes for Domination, and information concerning Azvosh and the earthen.

The help file on Yggdrasil mentions the infernal planes, but I can't find anything beyond that, and I suspect that that may just be a legacy help file.
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    edited October 2017
    If you're asking about what I think you're asking about, no, it is not a good idea to fluff your character as a demon or any other exotic being. Demons, alone, carry strict lore implications ("if you're a demon, Angroth, why can't I banish you back to your native plane?") that would make no sense for a player.
    Mykellah
  • At no point did I say or even indicate that I wanted to pretend to be a demon, chaos entity, or what have you. 

So no, not a line of RP that I'm looking to follow, because it's a fucking stupid one. 

Now that that we have that out of the way, can anyone provide an actual answer?
  • Some of it is probably legacy stuff. As @Lin stated, there is or was some strict lore with extraplanar beings, but there is some precedent. The obvious ones are the Chaos Lords and chaos entities that Indorani deal with, angels luminaries summon, Ruin, and certain extraplanar creatures from the elemental plains, the Spirit plane, the Shadow plane, or Dendara. The nature of the entity in question would depend on its origin.

Angroth
  • Angroth said:

Is there much precedent for demonic/daemonic/lesser extra-planar beings?

I know there's demons in the Vortex (which I haven't gotten around to looking at yet), but I can find little information beyond the chaos planes for Domination, and information concerning Azvosh and the earthen.

The help file on Yggdrasil mentions the infernal planes, but I can't find anything beyond that, and I suspect that that may just be a legacy help file.

Aside from Domination entities, you also have Dendaran spirits, Efreeti and Water Sprites, all of which are extra-planar.

There have also been incursions, for lack of a better word, of other sorts of things such as in the Night War.

And on top of all of this, you have the Chaos Lords, demons, the Earthen, the Duamvi, the Shadowbound, elementals...the list goes on.

TL;DR- Yes. There is.
    Now with 253% more Madness.
    Cute-Kelli by @Sessizlik.
    Angroth
  • Most extra-planar elemental beings are depicted as lacking sentience. For example, the elementals you come across and whatnot (or the one Miki now apparently has within her). Are demons and angels considered sentient? This always seemed like a grey area to me. You have some areas where they are depicted as pretty clearly sentient and others where they seem essentially thoughtless/subservient.
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    edited October 2017
    Elementals probably not. (But maybe yes in certain situations?) Demons and angels show some signs of intelligence most likely muffled by their subservience. (You gotta plunge all up into Chaos and make DARK PACTS with OLD DUDES who seem to have AGENDAS right?) It's possible angels have similar LEADERSHIP dudes who just don't care enough to extract promises just for symmetry sake?) Nature spirits from Dendara can talk(They come off more like allegorical spirits of animals than THE DEAD SPIRIT OF A RAVEN or etc.) But I think the scale of intelligence in those beings is probably hierarchical or based off the age/power of the creature. (Like the ANCIENT spirits are all WISE and MAJESTIC where the more mundane ones seem more rudimentary)

The nature of elementals is to be single faceted but the line blurs in a couple examples like the mage ents (It's possible the appearance/etc is something the mage builds as a construct?)
    Mykellah
  • At least with Dendara nature spirits it seems like it's more the actual position of power the creature has. Sradha (I think that's how it is spelled) only fairly recently replaced Alshek, for example. There definitely is a triad of angels that are like the head guys in charge of all angels that have had contact with players at some point in the past.

Mykellah
  • EowynEowyn Somewhere
    And with the Earth plane, there are the Earthen who are definitely sentient with their own social structure. Though, they are different from the elementals. I think it's just a mix of things with each plane where some things are sentient and some aren't, like others have said, according to their strength and whatnot. Just like animals on PmP aren't necessarily sentient but humanoids are.
    Mykellah
  • AnteheAntehe Immortal
    Elementals are a bit of a strange thing. They have their own language, and there are named, fully sentient ones. They fall into a category where their individual power determines their sentience.
    Mykellah
  • MykellahMykellah Enorian
    edited October 2017
    Antehe said:

Elementals are a bit of a strange thing. They have their own language, and there are named, fully sentient ones. They fall into a category where their individual power determines their sentience.

Yeah based on this and some of the other things here I think the sanest way to look at it is that as they grow in power elementals and similar beings grow in sentience. Makes me wonder how it works with the elementals bound to players though.

PS I promise not to torch the Liruma

[edit]: Yeah if it isn't obvious I'm trying to figure out how to work in that elemental bit into Mykellah's RP and whatnot, how much influence it might have, etc.
  • AnteheAntehe Immortal
    Which elemental bit? Do you mean the brands?
  • Antehe said:

Yup
  • Mykellah said:

Antehe said:

Yup
    My understanding of that situation is that the elemental degrades over time after the initial binding, sort of like its being absorbed. Someone with some Lore-thority might need to confirm this, though.

The impression that I get, though, seems to suggest that perhaps, yes, the elemental might convey a change in personality/behaviour, but only temporarily, until its finished being absorbed by the person in question.

Could be wrong though.
    Now with 253% more Madness.
    Cute-Kelli by @Sessizlik.
    MykellahTeani
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    Ya there seems to be different kinds of elementals too like pure elementals(FIREGUY/WATERGUY/ETC) and spirit elementals (Durdalis???) There is some hints that some degree of worship/belief/mortal opinion empowers SPIRITS not sure if the same thing spills over to elementals.
  • @Aishia I would imagine that it probably does in some capacity. Someone more thoroughly versed in the lore than me would have to confirm/deny but I would think that so long as the entity being worshiped is absorbing essence of some kind they would eventually grow powerful enough to grant benefits to their worship. But maybe it doesn't work like that?

• TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    Just like @Kelliara, I have interpreted the ritualist's added elemental as something that might possibly, and temporarily, influence your personality/mood/behavior. Certain elements might provide calm, stability, comfort, while other aspects would make one more impulsive, adventurous, alert.

Naturally, as with all these things, there's no one way to interpret how the different elements might affect a person, as the characters are all individuals. Perhaps someone connects earth with anger, due to the raging damage that can happen at earthquakes. Another person considers it as stability, and patience (a longer fuse). A third might even see both, and RP it that way.

As @Antehe says, there are/have been both sentient and non-sentient elementals in the game, all depending on their level of power. I don't think the ritualist's elementals count as sentient, seeing as you use the non-sentient kind for the ritual.

• AnteheAntehe Immortal
    When it comes to the brands, I would say that some influence on your mood/temperament would be reasonable, but not necessarily to your personality. It isn't a change/joining of consciousness. You aren't being possessed by another spirit, it won't lash out through you to seek its own agenda.
  • Antehe said:

When it comes to the brands, I would say that some influence on your mood/temperament would be reasonable, but not necessarily to your personality. It isn't a change/joining of consciousness. You aren't being possessed by another spirit, it won't lash out through you to seek its own agenda.

I was more specifically wondering how appropriate it would be to have it change her appearance and to some degree her temperment, since shes always at least feeling like she's on fire all the time, if not actually on fire :P It would probably affect her moods just a little!
  • Regarding Azudim, Yeleni, and Idreths, how would they appear different from each other in descriptions?

I know that everyone does their own thing wildly different, but as a general overview how do people tend to represent the theme of their chosen form?
  • TekiasTekias Wisconsin
    Can't speak on Yeleni or Azudim, but the thing with Idreth is that there is no theme. You literally recreate yourself in your own image. Tekias is a pure human, but once he transcended his form, he became a being made of a mage-crystal shell filled with Air and Shadow element, with ylem for his eyes and heart. Then to mix it up, I had him start to crack and shatter, and now he's a being of almost pure obsidian, with emeraldic and opaline features here and there. And I'm already working on another re-weave/redesc because I have ADD and I'm bored and shut up >.> Usually Idreths are far more biological, but since it's not unheard of to go the non-biological route, I went there myself.
    Formerly: Spiegel. Eidycue.

Hi.

SessizlikAngroth
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    The idea behind these three races are different, @Angroth, but in general, people are left to decide on their own. I believe there are as many ideas out there as there are players, at least! I'll give you mine, and you can do with it what you wish.

Idreth: This is, as @Tekias already explained, the recreation of your own self. Basically, your mortal shell transcends and you use your mind to puzzle yourself together according to the image in your head. This gives you a lot of freedom. Want an extra set of arms? Sure! Horns and a tail? Go right ahead! A gloopy pile of mud, with eyeballs all over? Why not!

Azudim and Yeleni: These two used to be forms that could only be gained by the help of a Divine. They are connected to death and life respectively. This did not mean that Undead people could not take the form of Yeleni, but it was highly irregular. A Yeleni -taking- life energy from others rather than healing? Not as common as an Azudim doing so, as they would be more likely to be seen as incarnations of death. Still, it was up to each and everyone's interpretation, meaning they could make themselves look however they wanted. I do believe there was once a rule against making yourself too large, though (below 10 feet?), but not sure if that is actually still the case.

Personally, I still connect these two forms very much with a Divine-only thing, meaning I would prefer if it was strictly provided to people who had in some way RPd out gaining this form along with a Divine. That means, the form would most likely take on some aspect that is connected to whatever deity was involved in the process, or in some way show that it is connected to forces poured into the character's mortal shells.

Oofa
  • *revives*

1. Is combat equilibrium influenced by holding furniture, more just movement between rooms? What happens if two people are holding sofas and the stress of moving causes a fight to break out?

2. how do the kitchen setup lessons work in Epicurean Academy? Some have clear chronological steps and others don't

3. I love you. That's not a question, just a relevant addition to the conversation.