Light reading material

TeaniTeani Shadow MistressSweden
https://wanderinginn.wordpress.com/

This a game-inspired story about a girl who is suddenly thrown into a fantasy world where there are monsters and leveling. Quite amusing!

A friend of mine gave me a tip to check this one out. Even though I haven't had much time to read it, it seems fun so far. Since I know we all share a gaming interest, I thought I should recommend it to you guys.

HavenSigmundVash

Comments

• Omg!

I knew there was a reason we hit it off :) This is one of my favorite stories!

Seriously everyone should give this a try it is soooo good.
    Typically In Game: JST (GMT+9) 6AM-8AM and 6PM-10PM
    Teani
  • TiurTiur Producer
    This is great. I adore the format of these sorts of serial novels and have a couple on bookmark that I reread here and there.
    Teani
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    The more I've read from this one, the better it becomes. I can't wait for the next chapter to be released!

• TiurTiur Producer
    If anyone is wondering why the dev cycle slowed down, it's because I'm reading this. Blame @Teani . I haven't enjoyed a serial this much since Worm.. or maybe Pact.
    VashTeani
  • TekiasTekias Wisconsin
    Damnit @Teani! :P
    Formerly: Spiegel. Eidycue.

Hi.

• I have read dozens of serials and The Wandering Inn is by far one of the best ones. I actually like it more than Worm. I don't want to start a lynch mob but one day I will have to write a post with a bunch of recommendations on other serials you need to try out.

Yes this is a story where people from modern earth are transported to a fantasy world where everyone (almost everyone) gains levels and [classes]. This is the so called "litrpg" genre and many many of these kind of stories are pure junk food. The Wandering Inn on the other hand is not, it has a great deal of depth, emotion, and complexity.

Each point of view character has a distinct voice with realistic and believable actions. There are hints of an epic fantasy plot while the story mostly remains tightly focused on a core set of characters. The non-human races are distinct (a major pet peeve of mine is when authors create races that act and think exactly like humans, what is the point?) and different than your typical fantasy races.

I also partially based Vash's personality off of one of the characters so you can get some insight into him if you read this.
  • TiurTiur Producer
    Worm has been my gold standard, but a lot of Twig beats that. But that's just a single author's breadth.
  • I really enjoyed Worm and Pact but I bounced off of Twig and have not gone back and given it a second try. I will have to do so again.

Serials I consider on the same level of quality as Worm (and The Wandering Inn): Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality, The God's are Bastards, A Practical Guide to Evil, The Iron Teeth, Everybody Loves Large Chests, Heretical Edge, The Last Angel: Ascension, The Maker's Arc.

So yeah, don't read any of those!
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    Ooh, more reading material! Thanks, @Vash