Announce 2706 Food

I thought it would be interesting to see what people thought about this change.

Personally I like the change, the fact that you can basically ignore it if you want and get a minor boost if you use it is nice.

I am not sure how we are supposed to react to it IC though. Some of you have not been eating for centuries and now all of a sudden you need to, seems like it would cause a big uproar. Or do players generally just ignore this kind of mechanical change IC?

A couple of points on the topic of food/eating:

1. I get annoyed when I spend 400 gold on something that does not change my hunger status even a single level while using satiation. This is compared with food that costs 75 gold that can remove half my total hunger. There is no way to tell how filling something is before I buy it so this is always frustrating to me.

2. I am always amused at how I can sip my drink a million times but I can only take one "bite" of my food. I find this makes eating difficult to RP around. I actually tend to buy something and then "fake" eat it with emotes to have it play out while the item just sits in my inventory. Am I missing something here?

3. No one ever washes their hands.
Typically In Game: JST (GMT+9) 6AM-8AM and 6PM-10PM

Comments

• edited July 2017
    Vash said:

1. I get annoyed when I spend 400 gold on something that does not change my hunger status even a single level while using satiation. This is compared with food that costs 75 gold that can remove half my total hunger. There is no way to tell how filling something is before I buy it so this is always frustrating to me.

I don't see why we couldn't add something to PROBE to dictate this. Even if it wasn't something blatantly OOC like 'This recipe confers 18 points of satiation' it could be obscured kinda like how EVAL shows slightly bruised, bleeding heavily, etc. instead of actual HP left.

A skewered kebab appears to be moderately filling.
    A skewered kebab appears to be lacking in nourishment.
    A skewered kebab appears to be quite nourishing.
    A skewered kebab will leave absolutely no room for dessert after consumption.

etc.

Besides that, I'm a huge fan of this change! Cooking is such a fun tradeskill, but before it was always limited in usefulness to people <level 80, or for roleplay. Super happy to see it have some relevance!
    VashTeaniLinSibatti
  • Vash said:

1. I get annoyed when I spend 400 gold on something that does not change my hunger status even a single level while using satiation. This is compared with food that costs 75 gold that can remove half my total hunger.

Bare in mind the change is so fresh, people stocking food probably don't know exactly how nutritious their old designs were, and are pricing based off of...comms and probably matching general pricing. I would expect you'll see a change in price reflecting nutrition once everyone gets an idea of what their current recipes offer.

Vash
  • TiurTiur Producer
    @koda I'll see if I can't smash that out in the next day or so.
    KodaKerrynVashTeaniZailaLinSibatti
  • TiurTiur Producer
    Okay, added! Hopefully this makes it clear that I'm open to ways to make things work better ;)

Other thoughts?
    VashKodaTeaniZaila
  • edited July 2017
    You're a hero. You asked for other thoughts, so huzzah, ask and ye shall receive.

I was thinking about the issue with corpses, and how they don't actually have sustenance to them, and how it would subsequently be a ginormous pain to assign each corpse individually a sustenance value, or make 80 million different types of meat to accompany said corpses/creative whims.

What if Esterport got itself a butcher?

With said butcher, you could pay 100 (or whatever, yay goldsink) gold to exchange a corpse for a package of $(corpse) meat.

That package itself would be what holds the sustenance value to it (and could for all intents and purposes have a generic meat sustenance level), and you allow players the ability to be creative with whatever bizarre types of meat they'd like to use without having to go through the aforementioned struggles above.

Sentient corpses, to save some coding struggle and avoid funky noun collisions, would just be a package of (whatever race they are) meat. Maybe that's a shadier type of deal that costs a bit more gold.

This could theoretically:
    - Introduce a minor gold sink
    - Save time having to introduce dozens of other meat types to cater to creative whims while still allowing dishes to accurately account for the sustenance the meat contains
    - Potentially save you from digging into the horror that is corpse code!
    AnteheVashSibatti
  • AnteheAntehe Immortal
    edited July 2017
    A butcher is being brainstormed to help fill that gap.

There's the lazy way which would swap it for a generic meat parcel regardless of what it is (by far the easiest and less headache, but reduces clarity for designs. The fancy descriptors disappear in DESIGN (num) COMPONENTS and default to whatever the base mother is - as seen with some of the bone items).

Having more discernible variety would require:
    - Organizing the mothers (essentially the root template) of all of the mobiles in the game into categories.
    - Making new mother items for each of those categories.
    Which may not seem like a lot..but...it is.

So, we are working on an avenue for that! Just trying to find a balance between most sane + room for flexibility.
  • Is it possible for probe to work on designs?

p design2138

Ooey, gooey and deliciously tart, this pie's filling is a simple muddle of blueberries, baked within a thin, flaky crust. A lattice-work topping gives tantalizing glimpses of the glistening filling, inviting one to slice it open and dig right in.

This item is a design template. It will be crafted at the time of purchase.

H:5861 M:5861 Mad:0% [cb eb]

p pie101188

A thick, buttery short crust pastry encloses this savory pie, sealing in a rich gravy filling. Chunks of slow-roasted tundral hare have been simmered with slices of carrot and onion to make a tender sauce. A delicate design has been fancifully embossed across the top, imprinting the image of a proud lion atop the piece's center.

It has 4 weeks of usefulness left.

It weighs 8 ounce(s).

It appears to be extraordinarily nourishing.

H:5861 M:5861 Mad:0% [cb eb]

Typically In Game: JST (GMT+9) 6AM-8AM and 6PM-10PM
    Sibatti
  • edited July 2017
    Couldn't you theoretically have a hybrid solution using the meat parcel idea? I get you want something to show in the components other than generic 'meat/parcel' for clarity, but the item's name/some aliases could be used for the sake of that.

a dingy pelican -> name = pelican -> package name becomes pelicanmeat, a package of pelican meat

etc.

In the event that it's a sentient, or the name field is a proper noun type deal, the word that prefixes meat in the name field could be subbed with the race. Kinda like how corpses work, where it's more of a dynamic thing.

EDIT: Didn't realize in the components it defaults to the base mother. Ew. Imagine that route would mean reconfiguring how the design components output goes, gross.
  • ZailaZaila Pacific Time
    Vash said:

2. I am always amused at how I can sip my drink a million times but I can only take one "bite" of my food. I find this makes eating difficult to RP around. I actually tend to buy something and then "fake" eat it with emotes to have it play out while the item just sits in my inventory. Am I missing something here?

This has also always annoyed me. Because it means the only way to know what the EAT text is going to make the item poof. The best thing we can do is hope there is a TASTE description to fill in the gaps before we're ready to actually be rid of it.
    Vash said:

3. No one ever washes their hands.

Where do you think we're living? Modern civilization?! Dirty hands make food taste better! Mmmmmmmmm germs.

Vash
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    edited July 2017
    :(
  • all the chocolate er go nourishment
    VashJensenRijetta
  • Given this change is likely to boost the number of active chefs + use of ingredients in the game, will the quantities of commodities for sale at various supply vendors be increased? This would be a welcome thing- some were rather understocked even before this change.
  • AnteheAntehe Immortal
    If crafters get together and put together a list of the items that are a true supply issue, we'll look into adjusting available stock. However, there is only so much we will do when it comes to players choosing to hoard.
    Phendegwen
  • SibattiSibatti Mamba dur Naya Amidst vibrant flora and trees
    turmeric!!!
  • AnteheAntehe Immortal
    Turmeric bumped from 10 to 25 per restock, will see how that does.
    Sibatti
  • TiurTiur Producer
    Turmeric gross, dropped to 5. Paprika upped.
    ZailaJensenKodaSibatti
  • VyxsisVyxsis Vyxsis
    CLASSLEAD NEW MISC NEW
    CLASSLEAD 7331 PROBLEM tiur has bad taste
    CLASSLEAD 7331 SOLUTION 1 delete tiur
    CLASSLEAD 7331 SOLUTION 2 simply banish tiur to whatever alternate dimension he came from
    CLASSLEAD 7331 SOLUTION 3 force tiur to eat nothing but turmeric for the rest of his immortal life
    CLASSLEAD 7331 SUBMIT
    Indoran'i is back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (wolf Howl)
    An Atzob cultist says, "Is a shamatato as tasty as a potato?"
    (Tells): From afar, Mephistoles hisses harshly to you, "Hey baby, show me your ovipositor?"
    The mighty Jy'Barrak Golgotha opens his maw, catches the glowing spear in his many jagged teeth, and chomps down. The Divine spear breaks with a noise like thunder, shards toppling from the Emperor's jaws. "OM NOM NOM!" He declares, then spits the last of the ruined weapon from his lips.

ZailaSibatti
  • TekiasTekias Wisconsin
    CLASSLEAD 7331 SUPPORT When someone's right, they're right. Sorry, favoritest Godmin.
    Formerly: Spiegel. Eidycue.

Hi.

• AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    Could we get audit willpower to reflect the wp malus? Is it just reducing base/racial level or net regen? I'll be sour as heck if it's nerfing my artifact.
  • Another one to consider bumping up might be Aelfwine the herb seller- atm she only has 15 per restock. Dill and cloves are pretty useful, upping it to 25 could be nice.