Mafia Championship Season 4: You are Invited!

INVITATION TO THE MAFIA CHAMPIONSHIP (SEASON 4)

Hello everyone! :)

I hope it's okay for me to post this here. If there is a moderator or a leader of your community here I should send this to instead, please let me know.

I would very much like to invite your community to take part in Season 4 of the Mafia Championship.

The Mafia Championship is an annual online tournament series that pits representatives from various forum Mafia (aka Werewolf) communities against one another as they compete to determine the Internet’s greatest forum Mafia player. Each participating community democratically elects one person to represent them and become their “Champion”.

Season 1 ran in 2013-2014, while Season 2 and Season 3 ran in 2015 and 2016, respectively. As of Season 3, a total of 160 communities have been represented in the Mafia Championship, making it the largest cross-forum event on the Internet.

I hope that all this sounds very exciting to you guys :)

1. Do you accept the invite?

If your community wishes to participate, please confirm your participation to me before April 20 to ensure yourselves a spot. If you need more time than this to think about whether you wish to participate, let me know and I can extend the deadline.

If you agree to participate, the deadline for selecting your representative is April 23. If this is too soon for you, again, just let me know :)

The games will take place on Mafia Universe. If it’s okay, I can link directly to the general discussion thread regarding this topic on Mafia Universe.

Important notes
- You may decide yourselves how you want to elect your representative, but we highly recommend some sort of democratic process (public nominations followed by a poll usually works out well).
- In addition to electing a representative, you should also name an alternate who will be asked to step in if the first choice needs to back out.
- Your representative should be prepared for having to read upwards of 500 posts per 24 hours during the early stages of the game. Additionally, there’s a requirement that each player must make at least 10 posts per Game Day. Only active players should apply/participate. I repeat: Your chosen player needs to be able to promise a good amount of activity on a daily basis.

2. Season 4 Format

The tournament structure
- 135 communities will participate, each sending one representative.
- 9 Qualifying Games will be played consisting of 15 players each. I.e. every representative plays in one Qualifying Game. 1 player will advance directly to the Finale Game from each Qualifying Game. The players themselves vote post-game to determine who is deserving of advancement. I.e. 9 of the 15 finalists will be found this way.
- A Jury consisting of finalists from Season 3 will along with me discuss and vote to determine a group of 30 wildcard players who will play in 2 Semi Final Wildcard Games. From each of these two games, three players will directly advance to the Finale Game.
- The Finale Game is played. Once it has completed, the players vote to determine who shall hold the title of Season 4 Champion.

The setup

MOUNTAINOUS:
- 12 Vanilla Townies
- 3 Mafia Goons

We’re going back to basics for Season 4. Each season we’re changing it up, and for this season it’s finally time to play without any power roles or abilities at all. Pure mafia. You have only yourself and your reading/bluffing abilities to count on.

3. Season 4 Timeline

There will be 9 Qualifying Games, and your representative plays in just one of these. They will have start dates from between late April to late June. So in other words, as long as your representative can play sometime during that period, they should be good and I’ll make sure they get scheduled into a game that suits their schedule well. I.e. if your rep is busy until June, that isn’t a problem.

Kind regards,
Thingyman

If you want to get in contact with me ASAP, you can find me on Skype (thingyman) or Discord (Thingyman#6075).

Comments

• SibattiSibatti Mamba dur Naya Amidst vibrant flora and trees
  • Update: It's been expanded to 150 communities, a new record.
  • Elect @Xenia to participate!

If an Aet person wins we could get some street cred and send more folks to the game to play!
  • oh my, this is a thing? It looks cool!

• SibattiSibatti Mamba dur Naya Amidst vibrant flora and trees
    Having conferred with @Xenia on the last Mafia game (and her coming to some conclusions waaaay before I did) I second the nomination.
  • If you have any questions, let me know :)
  • I would love to commit to this if I was nominated but the reality is the level of activity described above would be hard to commit to given my current schedule. It would depend on when the actual games take place and if I will have time to be attentive during the scheduled event.

@Thingyman, do you have a date in mind so I can look at my schedule and see if it's a possibility?

• You could choose any Monday between May 1st and June 19th. Would any of those start dates work for you?
  • How long is it projected to last?

• Xenia said:

How long is it projected to last?

You can choose between Day Phases lasting 12, 36 or 72 hours. Which would you prefer?

That'll impact how long game could potentially last.

I think like a bit over a week if 12 hour Day Phases. About two weeks if 36 hour Day Phases. And I think with 72 hour Day Phases it could potentially last 3 weeks?
  • Sorry, you can also choose 48 hour Day Phases.
  • That sounds like it is beyond what I can commit to. Perhaps there's another who's interested?

• What are the usual phase lengths around here?
  • Weeks, sometimes. Our games take forever.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

• It's less the time frame and more the 10 post requirement per game day (which I assume is a 24 hour period?) and the weeding through 500 posts a day. At best I'd spend 20-30 minutes at a time, casually skimming through a thread.

• Xenia said:

It's less the time frame and more the 10 post requirement per game day (which I assume is a 24 hour period?) and the weeding through 500 posts a day. At best I'd spend 20-30 minutes at a time, casually skimming through a thread.

You could sign up for a game with 72 hour Day Phases. You'd then need to make 10 posts every 72 hours. Let me know if that changes anything. Seems like you're probably the only potential candidate from here, but I understand if you can't do it :P