Mafia - Endings in Esterport: Return of the Illuminai - Sign ups.

edited April 2017 in OOC Chat
Since the war, Esterport has earned itself a bloody history...

First, Abhorash and his ilk sought to claim it as their feeding grounds, and then the Syssin infiltrated...

But in the time since, the Syssin have managed a fairly peaceful, if somewhat sinister rule. From the shadows they protect Esterport, and while the occasional criminal might 'vanish' mysteriously, law-abiding citizens need only fear someone occasionally going through their things in the night.

But all is not as it seems, True Syssin have all but died out. Stealth, assassination, the use of toxins, these can be taught to anyone. But phasing? Hypnosis? Illusions? Since the Syssin claimed Esterport no would-be Syssin has managed to learn these. Even so, these recruits have been forged into an organisation to help defend Esterport from outside foes: The Defenders.

Certainly they may lack some of the higher-skills that their forebears had, but they are still committed to the defense of Esterport, and like the Syssin, they are skilled in the arts of spying and assassination, and no right minded person would dare challenge them, for who could defeat them? Who would want to?

They keep us safe, after all.

...and yet, rumours abound...

... growing talk of a cult, dedicated to the once-vaunted Light, seeking to herald its return...

...whispers of Shadow itself, bent to shield the one wielding it...

...tavern gossip of an old soldier living somewhere in the city who can tear the very soul from their foes...

...and fearful tales that something else lurks in the night, preying on anyone, or anything, that crosses its path.
----------------------

It's here, Ladies and Gentleman!

Part 3 of Endings in Esterport, featuring the Defenders attempting to drive out the insidious Cult of the Illuminai.

Will Esterport remain in Defender control, or will the Light return to the city of Esterport?

I'm hoping to make this a fairly role-heavy game (some of which have been hinted at above), but in order for some of the roles to make it into the game, rather than just remaining rumour and gossip, we'll need lots of players. So, I'm gonna make a list of the roles (sorta) below, and as we start getting closer to having enough people for them I'll tease them and what roles the might actually be, and then unlock them once we get enough people to support the role without unbalancing the game.

You'll be able to check back here for a list of unlocked roles, and signed up players.

Let's make this a big, fun one.

-----------------------
ROLES

Defenders: Created from the dying Syssin, the Defenders have all the training and purpose of a Syssin, but none of the more fantastic abilities. Sworn to keep Esterport safe, they patrol its streets looking for trouble, ready to strike swift and deadly from the shadows. In the time since the Syssin took Esterport, the Defenders have grown used to being the hunters, but now the Cult is hunting them, hoping to reduce their numbers so they can take Esterport for themselves. It's up to the Defenders to make sure that doesn't happen."

The Cult of the Illuminai: "We tried peace, brothers and sisters. We sought to live as one along side them, in the years after the war. And for a time, we did. Together, Light and Shadow rooted the undead vermin from Esterport when they sought to use that peace for their own ends. But the Syssin! Greedy, vain, and prideful...heedless of anything other than their own selfish gains, stole into the city like a thief in the night, and murdered the innocent while they slept. The irony that we must lurk, as they do, to shine Light into Esterport once again is not lost on me. But we do this now, to create a brighter future.

Go now to Esterport, friends. Infiltrate the city, find Defenders, and put an end to their stranglehold on the innocent. For the sake of the weak, the innocent, and for the sake of the Light." - Final words of the Prophet to the Illuminai Cult infiltrators.

---------------Coming soon (maybe. SIGN UP to unlock)-----------------------
The General: Leading the Defenders from the shadows, the General is a mysterious figure. Certainly he is counted among the Defender's numbers, but who exactly he or she might be is a topic of secretive debate over drinks. Regardless, the General is among the last of the true Syssin, and stands ready to put his skills to use to weed out the Illuminai threat. Once per night, the General can phase into a persons home and search for clues as to their true allegence.

The Sciomancer: The losses during the war with the Dreikathi were many. Not just in lives, but in knowldge. Gone were the easy means of opening channels to Elemental Planes, and with them, much of the knowledge and power of the Mages. It has taken time, and effort, but one scholar has managed to re-forge links to the Primal Elements. With the arrival of the Illuminai cult in Esterport, the Sciomancer is ready to wield their power, such as it is, to help protect the Defenders while they root the cult out from their midst. Once per night, they can protect someone of their choosing, using reflections and illusions to mislead would-be pursuers.

The Prophet: No one expects the Defenders to go down easily. Least of all the Cult's charismatic leader. Rather than remain in hiding while the Cult works to pave the way for the return of the Light in Esterport, they have arrived to lead their followers, to keep their conviction strong against the Defenders and the shadows. And to save those who may yet be saved. Being the voice of the Light may not be easy, but it has its advantages. While the Prophet lives, Defenders targeted in the night by the Cult are not killed, but rather converted to members of the Illuminai Cult by their passion, and conviction.

Unfortunately, while these traits are excellent for making converts of people, they are less useful qualities when it comes to concealing ones true allegiences, making it possible for the General to tell that they are a cultist, if investigated.

The Carnifex: Memories of the war still weigh heavily on some, and this soldier is certainly one of them. They have made Esterport their home, and set aside their halberd. Or so it seemed. The arrival of the Cult once again threatens the life, perhaps not peaceful exactly, but certainly pleasant, that the Carnifex has built. Only a fool would expect the Prophet to accept a former Knight of the Shadow Keep into the Cult, and they are no fool, nor in a hurry to meet whatever fate awaits them after death. They stand ready to raise their weapon in aid of the Defenders. In the night the Carnifex can reave the soul from someone, slaying them.

The Sentinel: Hailing from what remains of the Wilds, this hunter has infiltrated Esterport, and the Defenders for their own purpose. To track down a different threat, not just to Esterport, but to the Wilds as well, and by counting themself among the Defenders, perhaps they can use the Esterport guardians to help defeat their mark. In the night, the Sentinel can track the movements of a person of their choosing, following where they go, and seeing who they might cross paths with.

The Shapeshifter: The Cult isn't the only threat facing the Defenders. And perhaps not even the worst. Half-Mad, and endlessly hungry, the shadows of Esterport have lured a were-creature from seclusion to new hunting grounds, where it has settled, ready to prey upon and devour whomever it pleases. It cares not for the conflict between the Defenders and the Cult of the Illuminai, all that matters is its next meal. The Shapeshifter appears, for all intents and purposes, a member of the Defenders, yet it holds no allegience to either of the groups vying for control of Esterport. In the night it can hunt, and devour a victim of its choosing, and should the number of Defenders and Cultists dwindle too low there'll be no one to stop it from consuming all the "food" in Esterport and moving on.

-Edit: Now featuring fancy colours thanks to @Koda.

-----SIGNED UP------

@Sibatti
@Karhast
@Pazradym
@Arbre
@Xenia
@Koda
@Teani
@Lehar
@Ilyon
@Zechs
@Serrice
@Zaila
@Sarita
Now with 253% more Madness.
Cute-Kelli by @Sessizlik.

Comments

• SibattiSibatti Mamba dur Naya Amidst vibrant flora and trees
    in like Flynn
  • Me, me, me.
  • once more into the breach my friends! Reporting for sign up!
    By the divine might of Omei, you are restored to life.
    Omei gives the corpse of a headless cadaver to you.
    Omei offers you a quick wink.

• ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    I'm in.
  • In!

Fonts are also done like this, just replace the ( with < and ) with >.

(font color="yellow")Yay thanks Kelliara!(/font)

Yay thanks Kelliara!
    KelliaraZaila
  • WHAT TRICKERY IS THIS!?

How come everyone knows colours but me? :'(
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    I'm in!

• In.
  • edited April 2017
    And with @Lehar, we have enough people to unlock The General!.

Also unlocking The Sciomancer.

Also also teasing The Carnifex.
  • I will join this madness.

Sibatti
  • ZechsZechs Austin
    Hello,

I would like to join. I'm a lean, mean mafia machine.

- Zechs
  • Ahh, so much hype over this set up!

• edited April 2017
    The Prophet has arrived in Esterport to personally make sure the Cult succeeds.

Only two more people to unlock the Carnifex.

And after that...I wonder who else this ruckus-to-be will attract?

...or what else?
  • edited April 2017
    Also, for clarification's sake, the Prophet can only convert Defenders.

The General, the Sciomancer, and any other Defender-aligned role that gets unlocked are too stubborn, too difficult to take alive, or too lost to be made into converts.

If targeted, these people will force the Cult to kill them in the ensuing confrontation.
  • SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    @Valingar told me I needed to sign up.

• Serrice said:

@Valingar told me I needed to sign up.

Well, he needs to sign up, too. :neutral:
    Xenia
  • Cheerfully waiting for any last stragglers.

I'll leave sign ups open for one more day, and then the brutality fun begins.

If you're thinking about joining, quick, quick!
  • Keep in mind the forums will be down for most of tomorrow, soooo... if you want to play get in before you literally can't say that you want to!
    Kelliara
  • Also, I'd really like to be able to use at least two more of the locked roles, so just three more people and we'll have all but one!

We can do it!
  • ZailaZaila Pacific Time
    Am I too late? Can I join? I haven't done one in awhile!
  • edited April 2017
    Alright folks. I'll consider this everyone who was interested.

I'll be creating the new thread with the actual game after I manage a few hours of sleep, cuz I'm exhausted.

If there are any last minute desperates who want to join you have until like 0600 AEST to get yourself signed up.

Also...

Updated the original post with the now unlocked roles.
  • edited April 2017
    Also, if there are any questions, feel free to ask.

Here's a quick summary, btw:

Defenders = Innocents.
    Cultists = Mafia.
    General = Detective.
    Sciomancer = Doctor.
    Carnifex = Vigilante.
    Sentinel = Tracker.
    Shapeshifter = Serial Killer.

-------------
    The Defenders win if they kill all the Cultists.

The Cultists win if they outnumber the Non-Cultists.
    While the Prophet is alive, targetted Defenders become Cultists, rather than dying. Because of this, the Cultists will be starting with a fairly small number.

The Shapeshifter is its own side, and if it becomes one of the last two people in the game, will immediately attack and devour the other, and emerge victorious. However, the Shapeshifter will appear as a Defender if investigated and will be slain if targetted by the Cult and the Prophet is alive instead of being converted.
  • edited April 2017
    That Prophet instead of Godfather is going to be an interesting change of pace. The setup looks clear enough, just some questions:

Can the doctor self-protect?
    Does the vigilante have limited kills?
    Can power roles be converted by the cult?
    Will anonymous messages be possible?

• SaritaSarita Empress of Bahir'an The Pillars of the Earth
    Is it too late to join in? Whenever I looked yesterday, the forums were down.
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    For those if us who are less knowledgeable in these games, what does the tracker do? 

• Sarita said:

Is it too late to join in? Whenever I looked yesterday, the forums were down.

No, not too late. You just scraped in ahead of the ultimate deadline.
    Ilyon said:

That Prophet instead of Godfather is going to be an interesting change of pace. The setup looks clear enough, just some questions:

Can the doctor self-protect?
    Does the vigilante have limited kills?
    Can power roles be converted by the cult?
    Will anonymous messages be possible?

Yes - This will prevent ALL roles from working on the target. I.E. If the protected person is targetted by the Cult, the Carnifex, the Sentinel and the Shapeshifter, all of them will spend the night chasing illusions.
    No.
    No, power roles will be killed, rather than converted.
    Yes, but not private ones.
    Teani said:

For those if us who are less knowledgeable in these games, what does the tracker do? 

The Sentinel (Tracker) can see who a person targets during the night, but not what they try to do.

e.g. Sentinel tracks Kelliara (who is a cultist). Sees that Kelliara approached @Teani for some reason, but that's all they'll be able to learn.
    SaritaTeani