So, I just started watching Iron Fist on Netflix...and I think I might like it.

I'm usually really skeptical about Marvel-made shows, as I generally fear the lack of funds to make them as awesome as the movies will create problems with the series.

I am happily surprised by the fact that they have made a fairly solid, and as far as four episodes in, extremely awesome storyline. I hope they give him a movie. Danny Rand would be the awesomeness.

Comments

• IllikaalIllikaal Pray Area
    edited March 2017
    You didn't watch Luke Cage, Daredevil, or Jessica Jones? They were all extremely good imo. I like Iron Fist too but it's being heralded as the worst among the 4 series gearing up towards the Defenders. My only gripe with it IF is that the fighting seems a little bit off compared to Daredevil.
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
  • Initial responses like this post make me very, very hesitant to give it a shot. The reception I've heard from my friends has been overwhelmingly negative, along similar lines of criticism.

I'm disappointed, too- I really enjoyed Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage. After excellent shows like that, it's difficult for me to imagine how they bungled this one so badly.
  • I like Danny's arc. The character keeps getting manipulated by everyone in his life, and you can never tell who his friends really are. It begs the question of why he would choose to remain there instead of the paradise he came from, and explores how even people with "good" intentions can be motivated by personal and selfish reasons, especially regarding dereliction of duty.

I like the fighting scenes, too. They seem more influenced (and rightly so) by old Kung Fu movies, and I love that flavor.
  • BenedictoBenedicto Tentacles Errywhere!
    I have to echo the sentiments of the above. It's not necessarily as gripping as the others, granted, but it's still a very engaging show. I've enjoyed the fight scenes and the arc is pretty good. I'd say it's still absolutely worth a watch!
  • AnteheAntehe Immortal
    It definitely rubbed wrong in several ways, though I do think it captured his naivete and I liked the approach with Bakuto.
  • IllikaalIllikaal Pray Area
    Ignotum said:

Initial responses like this post make me very, very hesitant to give it a shot. The reception I've heard from my friends has been overwhelmingly negative, along similar lines of criticism.

I'm disappointed, too- I really enjoyed Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage. After excellent shows like that, it's difficult for me to imagine how they bungled this one so badly.

To be fair that post is pretty SJW laden and far too saturated with subjective opinion. At the end of the day, I think everyone should be their own judge. Like i said it definitely wasn't my favorite of the 4, but I think its still worth watching.
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
    MihaketiIshin
  • The tumblr post is subjective, of course, but people are entitled to their own opinions.

Example: I'm sure people think Captain Planet is fine, but the anti nuclear power episode got me up in arms because of its inaccuracies.
  • Illidan said:

Ignotum said:

Initial responses like this post make me very, very hesitant to give it a shot. The reception I've heard from my friends has been overwhelmingly negative, along similar lines of criticism.

To be fair that post is pretty SJW laden and far too saturated with subjective opinion. At the end of the day, I think everyone should be their own judge. Like i said it definitely wasn't my favorite of the 4, but I think its still worth watching.
    I think we have very different impressions of the post in question - I read it as an educated, well-versed opinion from a woman with authority on the show's material. It's not just her saying these things, either - I've heard them echoed a lot, too. Plus, a 17% Rotten Tomatoes rating doesn't just come out of nowhere.

In the end, you're right that every opinion is subjective. It doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy, based on what I've heard. If you like it, more power to you.
    Lin
  • How is the post 'SJW laden'? It's criticism of acting, choreography and mangled language.
  • Okay, so first off, straight up, it's the worst of the five seasons of Marvel's Netflix shows. That said... it's still good. It's definitely got that old Kung Fu movie vibe to it and I like that a lot. If this is as bad as Marvel Netflix shows get, I hope they never stop making them. If you've not seen DD, JJ, or LC, I'd highly recommend them.

• DrestynDrestyn Bloodloch
    No amount of other people's opinions will deter me from watching a show. I'll decide if I like it. :< That said, I liked Iron Fist and that's probably because I'm a filthy, worthless Marvel fanboy.

• The linked article starts with the author preemptively defending herself by insisting that her gripe isn't about the "race angle," then she starts off the next paragraph by saying "If you just HAVE to get a generic white man to play the lead.." This hardly helps her make her point.

Yes, as an expert, you can point out every mechanical flaw with the martial arts in the show, but a layperson isn't going to recognize them, and most audiences will accept that the main character, a man who had obtained the Iron Fist and was trained in the MCU's "Heaven," could easily best someone who hasn't done all of the above.

And yet, she brings race into it again, saying "This is some flabby-ass white guy’s jerk-off fantasy of being super awesome and showing up the hot Asian chick without any understanding [of] martial arts whatsoever." She goes on to talk about the Mandarin, saying "STOP trying to make white characters look cool by having them speak Chinese."

If you're going to point out all the mechanical flaws with martial arts and language, then do so. But don't go into an argument saying "This isn't about race," when throughout the entire article, it's obviously the driving force behind the rant.
    Illikaal
  • Plus the whole point of the guy's character is he's a white guy speaking Mandarin that he only learned after like age 10, which ofc. they're going to butcher without like, constant, obsessive linguistic training (which I don't think gets covered in a monastery dedicated to kicking ass): http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/accents-are-forever-35886605/

So there are lots of nits being picked that tie in to race that aren't really...substantial objections? But there ARE also points that work, like martial arts forms and choreography. I'm still undecided, myself - I like there might be moral gray areas, but I also want to slap him because he either talks WAY too much (omg you believe I'm sane? I WAS ON A DIFFERENT PLANE!) or WAY too little (No I won't solve this problem with a single sentence, I'll just stalk off dramatically).

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

Ignotum
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    edited March 2017
    I just finished watching Iron Fist earlier. I've watched both Luke Cage and I was a very big Daredevil fan.

I don't feel that Iron Fist is as good as either of those, but what I did very much enjoy was the way the plot twisted like a snake pretty much all the time. A lot of the time I was watching the show, I ended up feeling a lot of pity for Danny with how manipulated he was, and how people were constantly -trying- to manipulate him.

Also, being someone who's angry, I can rather empathize with how he struggles against that feeling he keeps bottled up inside.

I guess I'll have to take the time to watch more of Jessica Jones, since I only made it a few episodes in before I sorta lost interest in it.

Tell you something else I really liked about Iron Fist, too. That Colleen Wing, damn that girl has a rump on her. AROOOOOOOO.
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    HavenAnnabeth