We're Revamping Our Curing -- Don't Panic Just Yet

Comments

• I do like the concept of unified curing though, so @Oleis Is it possible to have an approximate timing for when we might see this curing revamp?
  • OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    Respawn timers are going to be randomly staggered, to avoid the exact problem you're describing.

This change is going to be happening in the next few days.

The important thing to remember, folks, is that we're wide open to improvements and suggestions. While we're not likely to reverse course on a major plan, we do understand that your needs and experiences with something new shape its value in the game. As this rolls out and we let the initial shock fade, we'll be quick to deal with the stand-out problems.
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
    ReuxRizgarSeth
  • RazmaelRazmael Administrator, Immortal
    edited March 2017
    Since the release is not too far out, here's the list of names for the new cures, alongside their equivalents from the current cures.

Also note that this does not mean a lobelia herb makes a depressant pill. It simply means lobelia is the equivalent of a depressant pill as far as curing goes. There's a set of new herbs we'll be introducing for making these pills.

Herbs/Slice -> Pills
    Old cureNew cure
    Ash/Bladderan antipsychotic pill
    Goldenseal/Livera euphoriant pill
    Kelp/Eyeballa decongestant pill
    Lobelia/Testisa depressant pill
    Ginseng/Ovarya coagulation pill
    Bellwort/Castoritea steroid pill
    Bloodroot/Lungan opiate pill
    Hawthorn/Heartan ototoxin pill
    Bayberry/Stomacha pill of amaurosis
    Ginger/Appendixa panacea pill
    Moss/Kidneyan anabiotic pill
    Skullcap/Pineala thanatonin pill
    Sileris/Bonesome hardening paste
    Kola/Sulphuritea stimulant pill
    Cohosh/Tonguea kawhe pill
    Echinacea/Spleena pill of acuity
    Pear/Pancreasa pill of waterbreathing
    Myrrh/Tumora somnium pill

Smokes/Tinctures -> New smoke herbs
    Old cureNew cure
    Elm/DemulcentWillow bark
    Valerian/AntispasmadicYarrow root
    Skullcap/SudorificReishi mushroom

Elixirs/Poultices:
    These names will use the same names as their equivalents from Concoctions. The Concoction's names for these are pretty intuitive, and describe exactly what that fluid does. But for completion's sake...

Elixirs/Serums -> Elixirs
    Old cureNew cure
    Analeptic/HealthHealth
    Stimulant/ManaMana
    Euphoric/LevitationLevitation
    Calmative/ImmunityImmunity
    Carminative/VenomVenom
    Speed/NervineSpeed
    Frost/RefrigerativeFrost

Salve/Poultice -> Poultice
    Old cureNew cure
    Oculi/Epidermal Epidermal
    Orbis/Mending Mending
    Fumeae/Caloric Caloric
    Jecis/RestorationRestoration
    Pueri/Mass Mass
    Reux
    edited March 2017
    As Oleis said, we're doing our best to smooth the transition into these new cures. To keep your healing systems supported, CONFIG CUREMSGS LIVING/UNDEAD will make almost all curing messages show the old messages for Concoctions and Reanimation, including the old herb/serum/etc names for the cures. This also works for you observing other people curing, so your trackers don't break.

Along with that, we'll be substituting certain commands that are commonly used for curing, such as OUTC, EAT, DRINK, STICK, APPLY, PRESS and so on. If you do OUTC GOLDENSEAL for example, the game will substitute that automatically for you with OUTC EUPHORIANT.
  • @Razmael @Oleis Will this support be indefinite or will it eventually go away?

• edited March 2017
    your revamping my sexy reanimation of dissecting tree corpses for organs?! *Laughs* In all seriousness I think this will be a good change of pace, but I do have one concern/request of the 'pills' setup.

The old city-ruins of Ashtan is a steaming pile of filth and trash-strewn streets with a bordello and the minor concept of a 'drug den' really fits the change of theme. Could it be considered as a means of processing pills and/or a RP scenario of illegal narcotics being passed out or before its widely accepted in world as the new curing design? It would make a great event trying to pass off giving more depth to current events in the ruins and surrounding Ashtan area since they went stagnant.

I am worried this might violate current rules since drugs and narcotics are not something in-world people are permitted to really go in depth with in the mythos. Ashtan city ruins could use the influx of .....not-so-legal-tender...and a bit more RP for perps to go there. Beyond my favorite part of the lovely orc lady beating you up for being a ....bad boy!
    Axius
  • AxiusAxius where I am
    agreed, and leading up to the strict change, everyone finds that there's a steadily growing chance that their herbs won't cure them, but rumors of denizens coming in when people are struggling to cure their afflictions to come into the city saying, "You folks look like you're starting to grow resistant to old herbal remedies.. there's this place over in the ruins of Ashtan that is selling these cures that will let you cure those afflictions."
  • Psst, hey kid. Wanna buy some curatives?

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

ZailaIshinLeanaRoxiPeriluna
  • Toz said:

Psst, hey kid. Wanna buy some curatives?

Better have a fat credstick

Ishin
  • Am I the only one wondering what'll happen with Syringes and Bandages? I mean, Ebrius is still a thing, right? So syringes are just for hard drugs now?

Also, Bandages, will they be converted to provide light bleed reduction (like in Imp) or will they just be discontinued? Or.. aesthetic? I know some people probably wouldn't mind using bandages for aesthetic reasons.

Also, Needles. What'll become of needles?

Leana
  • This might sound like an odd request, but @Razmael and @Oleis - would it be possible for undead, if wielding a scalpel, still be able to dissect organs or slices? It'd be great for RP, plus some people use them for crafting stuff.
    Tenshyo said:

@Razmael @Oleis Will this support be indefinite or will it eventually go away?

Since the biggest legwork is over, it would be considerably more work to take it out than it would be to just keep it rolling. You'll find that we have all our conversations in terms of the updated curative names, however, so you'll need to adjust in that regard.
    Pypo said:

your revamping my sexy reanimation of dissecting tree corpses for organs?! *Laughs* In all seriousness I think this will be a good change of pace, but I do have one concern/request of the 'pills' setup.

The old city-ruins of Ashtan is a steaming pile of filth and trash-strewn streets with a bordello and the minor concept of a 'drug den' really fits the change of theme. Could it be considered as a means of processing pills and/or a RP scenario of illegal narcotics being passed out or before its widely accepted in world as the new curing design? It would make a great event trying to pass off giving more depth to current events in the ruins and surrounding Ashtan area since they went stagnant.

I am worried this might violate current rules since drugs and narcotics are not something in-world people are permitted to really go in depth with in the mythos. Ashtan city ruins could use the influx of .....not-so-legal-tender...and a bit more RP for perps to go there. Beyond my favorite part of the lovely orc lady beating you up for being a ....bad boy!

From an OOC perspective, I think it's important to draw a line of distinction between pharmaceutical pills and recreational drugs. 'Pill' in our context just means a little bit of honey or tree sap with crushed-up herbs. It's an herb delivery system. Drug-den Ashtan or really a deep exploration of in-game narcotics aren't really on my list of tie-ins for this revamp, if that reasoning makes sense.
    Satomi said:

Am I the only one wondering what'll happen with Syringes and Bandages? I mean, Ebrius is still a thing, right? So syringes are just for hard drugs now?

Also, Bandages, will they be converted to provide light bleed reduction (like in Imp) or will they just be discontinued? Or.. aesthetic? I know some people probably wouldn't mind using bandages for aesthetic reasons.

Also, Needles. What'll become of needles?

Bandages will be the poultice delivery system. Needles and syringes will exist, but they won't serve a mechanical purpose.
    Cordia said:

This might sound like an odd request, but @Razmael and @Oleis - would it be possible for undead, if wielding a scalpel, still be able to dissect organs or slices? It'd be great for RP, plus some people use them for crafting stuff.

I don't see why not!
    [---]
    CordiaZaila
  • Oleis said:

Since the biggest legwork is over, it would be considerably more work to take it out than it would be to just keep it rolling. You'll find that we have all our conversations in terms of the updated curative names, however, so you'll need to adjust in that regard.

So by going with what was said prior doing outc lobelia;eat lobelia for example will correctly call the changed thing?

Tenshyo said:

Oleis said:

So by going with what was said prior doing outc lobelia;eat lobelia for example will correctly call the changed thing?
    Yep, that's how it works.
    Tenshyo
  • Will we have the option of converting artifact vials into artifact bandages since salves will no longer exist?
    TenshyoTeaniXavin
  • Hey thank you so much for the clarification @Oleis I just really hope to see more RP avenues and more depth come to the old cesspit a bit, I figured it could make a small new black market push for revitalization of an old place.
    Fezzix said:

Will we have the option of converting artifact vials into artifact bandages since salves will no longer exist?

Yes.
    FyrrenFezzix
    edited March 2017
    The first of the two new skillsets for curing I want to introduce you folks to is Herbalism.

Herbalism, similar to Concoctions, requires you to go out into the wilderness and harvest a variety of a different herbs. Once obtained, you can then take these herbs to a special preparation room to grind them down into pills. Most pills will require at least 2 different herbs to make. Some pills might also require ingredients gathered from the other cure production skillset (and they will require herbs for some of their cures as well!).

Some herbs can also be inserted into a pipe as-is, providing medicinal effects when smoked (i.e. what valerian/skullcap/elm currently do).

As Oleis mentioned earlier, 'pills' are simply herbs and other ingredients ground up in a mortar and pestle, and then rolled in honey.

PLANTS AND HARVESTING
    While this will feel similar to Concoctions as it is currently, there's actually quite a few differences!

For plants, there is now a global shared population of plants between all players, instead of players having their own instance of herbs. Plants will regrow periodically throughout the day, the rate at which they regrow depending on how many of that particular plant are left in the room (more left = regrows faster). However, harvesting out a room won't 'damage' it any form (for those of you familiar with an older version of Concoctions), it'll just be slightly slower to regrow. All plants can grow at any time so long as they are in their right environment, and have no other dependencies such as season, maturity, etc.

Harvesting has also changed. You used to be able to walk into a room and type in HARVEST ALL PLANTS and it would harvest everything it could, costing you a chunk of balance. While Herbalism retains similar functionality, the way it plays out is different. I can walk into a room and do HARVEST ALL YARROW AND REISHI AND WILLOW, and I'll start harvesting them all across ticks of balance. The amount of plants you harvest across each tick depends on a random number, scaling to how much of that plant is remaining in the room. As a purely hypothetical scenario, if there's 60/60 remaining, I might harvest 10 in a tick, and if there's 15/60 remaining I might only harvest 1. Individual daily harvesting limits still apply, scaling to your Herbalism skill, but have been greatly reduced from its current number.

Harvesting now also requires a tool in order to be able to harvest: an iron sickle, which can be only be made by those with the Forging skillset.

And for you crafters sweating about what'll happen to your designs that use old Concoction herbs, you have nothing to fear! Obtain an iron sickle, and you can harvest all non-Herbalism plants (including the old Concoction herbs) even if you don't have the Herbalism skill.

Preparation requires you to be standing in a Herbalism preparation room, similar to other Mercantile skills needing their own room. We'll be offering free access to one of these in Esterport for the first 2 weeks, and then charging a nominal fee for 24-hours access after all. Like other Mercantile preparation rooms, these rooms can be purchased by cities for a bulk sum of gold.

Similar to harvesting, preparation operates on a balance tick basis. You can prepare up to 5 pills at once per tick, and it's as simple as doing PREPARE 50 ANTIPSYCHOTIC. Running desperate for pills but don't have enough herbs to make all that you need? Then add elemental ashes or elemental ice to your preparation! These increase the potency of your cure, allowing you to make your pills smaller, multiplying the amount of pills you get from a single batch. For example, if I PREPARE 10 ANTIPSYCHOTIC WITH ICE, I'll use up 10 elemental ice and prepare 300 antipsychotic pills (note: hypothetical numbers, actual multiplier tbd).

And to make preparation as easy as possible without needing a system, it will search your cache for the necessary ingredients and use them from there!

Anyway, that's all I have to say about Herbalism. Stay tuned for details on the second skillset!
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    So, while you -can- go into a room and HARVEST ALL AND AND , it will take the maximum amount of time for it all to grow back again, while HARVEST 50 \QEB HARVEST 50 will leave some behind for a more speedy regrowth?

If so, is it possible to have the command altered so that you can choose to harvest a specific amount and still choose to go for several herbs? I.e. HARVEST # [AND AND ]

If not, is the balance broken down so you can opt to leave the room at a specified tick, to leave enough behind for that same purpose?

For organizations, is it possible to repurpose other merchantile rooms to these new ones to balance needs without emptying the coffers completely?

• KerrynKerryn The Black Flagon Inn
    Razmael said:

The first of the two new skillsets for curing I want to introduce you folks to is Herbalism.

Preparation requires you to be standing in a Herbalism preparation room, similar to other Mercantile skills needing their own room. We'll be offering free access to one of these in Esterport for the first 2 weeks, and then charging a nominal fee for 24-hours access after all. Like other Mercantile preparation rooms, these rooms can be purchased by cities for a bulk sum of gold.

I think this is the only thing I'm not overly fond of. No other mercantile skill rooms charge gold for using it. I worry, that it will make it even harder to get cures, if you expect orgs to purchase these and they are so absorbingly priced. And if they're not overly priced and each city buys one, you're then punishing those who do not belong to a city to make cures in Esterport or those choosing to use the one in Esterport to rp with clients from other factions. So you're only really targeting non-city folk, (A tiny section of the player base) not really creating a gold sink. I'd much rather see it not charge on use, to encourage people to use the one in Esterport and possibly spark opportunities for rp.

Will these mercantile rooms also be a haven/house option like all other mercantile skills? If so, charging gold for use, is pointless. If it's not an option, will all other mercantile skills become a charge on use of room similar to this mercantile skill? Will there be an artifact sickle option? Will there be recreational drug options? IE: Some players like smoking weed, mushrooms and I forget the undead version. For that, I could see paying a little extra to access a seedy prep room, hidden away in Esterport.

Sorry for the bombardment of questions! Aside from this, I'm looking forward to the changes!

Kerryn said:

Razmael said:

I think this is the only thing I'm not overly fond of. No other mercantile skill rooms charge gold for using it. I worry, that it will make it even harder to get cures, if you expect orgs to purchase these and they are so absorbingly priced. And if they're not overly priced and each city buys one, you're then punishing those who do not belong to a city to make cures in Esterport or those choosing to use the one in Esterport to rp with clients from other factions. So you're only really targeting non-city folk, (A tiny section of the player base) not really creating a gold sink. I'd much rather see it not charge on use, to encourage people to use the one in Esterport and possibly spark opportunities for rp.

Will these mercantile rooms also be a haven/house option like all other mercantile skills? If so, charging gold for use, is pointless. If it's not an option, will all other mercantile skills become a charge on use of room similar to this mercantile skill? Will there be an artifact sickle option? Will there be recreational drug options? IE: Some players like smoking weed, mushrooms and I forget the undead version. For that, I could see paying a little extra to access a seedy prep room, hidden away in Esterport.

Sorry for the bombardment of questions! Aside from this, I'm looking forward to the changes!
    The city-purchased rooms don't charge a fee for use. I am absolutely comfortable with cityless characters needing to pay a premium. The point of offering an Esterport room for free at first is to make sure those with these skills are able to produce curatives from the very start while the cities arrange a purchase. Suggesting that everyone could use the Esterport room for the sake of roleplay without devolving into a disastrous grief-fest is admirably optimistic.

These won't be a haven addition. I'm open to houses, but not right away. As I stated earlier in the thread, I'm not interested in advancing an illegal drug theme.
    [---]
    Aloli
    edited March 2017
    Teani said:

So, while you -can- go into a room and HARVEST ALL AND AND , it will take the maximum amount of time for it all to grow back again, while HARVEST 50 \QEB HARVEST 50 will leave some behind for a more speedy regrowth?

If so, is it possible to have the command altered so that you can choose to harvest a specific amount and still choose to go for several herbs? I.e. HARVEST # [AND AND ]

If not, is the balance broken down so you can opt to leave the room at a specified tick, to leave enough behind for that same purpose?

For organizations, is it possible to repurpose other merchantile rooms to these new ones to balance needs without emptying the coffers completely?

Yep, you can do HARVEST #. You can also do HARVEST STOP to stop prematurely.

I'm not sure what you mean by repurpose rooms. If you're asking if you can make existing rooms be made into a Herbalism room, even if they're already set up for another mercantile skill, then yes that is possible.
    Teani
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    Awesome! And yes, that's what I was asking. :smile:

• What will the benefit of the artifact harvesting gloves be?
  • Razmael said:

Like other Mercantile preparation rooms, these rooms can be purchased by cities for a bulk sum of gold.

And havens, right?

I mean, you know, an amount.

Reux said:

Razmael said:

Like other Mercantile preparation rooms, these rooms can be purchased by cities for a bulk sum of gold.

And havens, right?

No.
    [---]
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    Good, screw Havens.

Glad to see this change. +1 support.
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • @Oleis / @Razmael Any chance to tell the Cities how much these rooms are going to cost BEFORE the release so maybe the City can purchase it on release date so you dont have 20 people standing in one room in Esterport?

This also might save some hassle and city people can assist other members of its own city to 'make/produce' the new stuff
    MayhemHunting - Discord Chat - CLANHELP MAY (ingame)

LeanaRizgarSethRunas
  • Oleis said:

Reux said:

Razmael said:

And havens, right?

No.
    Are you taking forges, venom prep, and enchanting? I don't see why you're blocking one and not the other.
    I mean, you know, an amount.

Leana
  • AloliAloli Between Books
    @Razmael @Oleis Hello, will this mean the current plants will be removed from the game? I ask because there are plenty of plants and flowers that are used in the crafting system.

I've noticed people also making designs like "mana cookies" and so on, what will happen there?
    Between what is said and not meant, and what is meant and not said, most of love is lost. - Khalil Gibran
    Leana