A New Guild is Coming to Spinesreach

Comments

• ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    1. Is this a guild that might interest you?

With the immediate introduction, my interest is certainly piqued. The short class description is certainly fascinating.

My biggest fret is that it will easily fall back into the traps that the Cabalists did. The Archivists is pressing to be outgoing and proactive, which is good, but I'm not entirely certain what ways there are to maintain that motivation when the initial release event(s) are over. I've been thinking about this one hard ever since you announced the release.

In the end, I hope there's lore built up around this new guild instead of 'here's a basic premise, have fun'. I think it is possible to make this into something great; I also think it's possible to fail miserably.

2. Do you think its message is something new players could be passionate about?

I think the introduction to it (HELP ARCHIVISTS) needs work to come across as appealing, but I do think that if played the right way, it could be something that really interests truenewbs.

3. Do you think the idea fits Spinesreach?

That I definitely do. The pursuit of power premise is very heartily Spirean.
  • SessizlikSessizlik Muffin Mage
    help archivists
    No match found for "archivists", trying a search...
    Search results for "archivists":
    No matches found.

help archivist
    No match found for "archivist", trying a search...
    Search results for "archivist":
    No matches found.

Am I doing something wrong? <.<
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    @Sessizlik It's not written yet. It was simply a suggestion that once the actual help file is up there, it should contain the right information to entice people and make them want to join.

ArbreSessizlik
    I hate to ask this, @Oleis, because SoonTM, but is there any kind of timeline going on for this?
    Seth
  • ErebosErebos Right there! Oh you missed him!
    edited February 2017
    I, for one, welcome our Spinesreach brethren.

Fyrren
  • OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    edited February 2017
    To update my timeline -- We're going to use the rollout events of the March promo to open the doors of the Archivists, with a little time for adjustment and a guildmaster placement to follow. So not *exactly* the end of Feb, I know. :)
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
    CinarraRunasKelliaraKodazaSessizlik
    Still super exciting! I just know I will probably not be awake for said events, since they usually happen at Howling and that's after midnight for me. <.< But still super exciting!
  • I've been away from the realm for a while and admit I don't know the protocol of the monthly promotions. I saw the Announcement for the March Promotions, and no mention of this new class. @Oleis, do you have any further updates for us? I am eagerly awaiting learning more of this class.

To answer your questions:
    1. Yes, absolutely. I'd love my character to have another go at Numerology. He was a cabalist so long ago, and not a "dark" person. At the time, he fit with other members of the guild, but not with the overall feel of the guild. The Cabal had a political uprising and, well, my character was no longer a part of it. I've long been awaiting a "scholarly" feeling guild that was not inherently dark nor inherently light. This could definitely be that for me.

2. Depending on execution, I think this new guild and class could fill a spot that, as I described above, has been missing. So yes, it could be something that newbies would feel driven towards.

3. Also yes. I've always loved Spinesreach as a city that is undead-friendly but not particularly "evil", just power hungry. A numerologist class that is not so dark but just as power hungry would fit well.

Thank you so much to all the IRE/Aetolia team that has been working on making this possible. I am so excited! So eager to learn more. I could have a home again.
    New class by Monday :) Not delaying from a preparation standpoint, just fitting it into the events of the March promo.
    [---]
    SeirArbreSethFyrrenXenia
    I am guessing Howling on monday, so none of us Euros can keep up. <.< Still love you! I'll be sure to join the guild when I get home from work!
    Fyrren
    Sessizlik said:

I am guessing Howling on monday, so none of us Euros can keep up. <.< Still love you! I'll be sure to join the guild when I get home from work!</p>

My goal is mid-day US time on Saturday, but I am still working on coordinating the rest of the moving parts.
    [---]
    SessizlikTrikalRunas
    See, this is why you are one of my favorites, @Oleis. <3
  • So excited
    I'll be out of town all weekend and this has me bummed. : (
    Arbre said:

I'll be out of town all weekend and this has me bummed. : (

Nuuuu! It's okay. Hop in when you get home and stir the pot. Like most new guild openings, there will be a period of a couple days before the GM is set, etc.
    [---]
    Leana
  • edited March 2017
    tl;dr Do light-aligned guilds care about Archivists? Does nature find Bioessence offensive? Does the Beacon care that obscure knowledge and objects of power are being buried?

I worry that another class has been made that the light shrugs at. Darkies only get Monks as a viable cross-class. Lighters now have access to Syssin and possibly Archivists.

Edit

HELP CLASS COMPATIBILITY needs an update.
    I mean, you know, an amount.

• Reux said:

tl;dr Do light-aligned guilds care about Archivists? Does nature find Bioessence offensive? Does the Beacon care that obscure knowledge and objects of power are being buried?

I worry that another class has been made that the light shrugs at. Darkies only get Monks as a viable cross-class. Lighters now have access to Syssin and possibly Archivists.

Edit

Bioessence makes explicit use of shadow essence, making Archivists a shadow-tethered class.

The rest is up to RP.
    SessizlikReux
  • RhoynnRhoynn Hartford
    Hnnnnnhhhhhh.

HHNNNNNNNHHHHHH.

yay.
  • edited March 2017
    Can quick-wielding for codexes and tokens be added to Bio Tension?

The alternative I was thinking about involves a thing I can't find anymore. I remember seeing repeated books-on-a-belt-chain flavor in WoW paladins, but now I can't.
    I mean, you know, an amount.

• Reux said:

The alternative I was thinking about involves a thing I can't find anymore. I remember seeing repeated books-on-a-belt-chain flavor in WoW paladins, but now I can't.

I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of chain added to forging that allowed this. "Book-chain" or something. And then it can be all fancied up by clever designer people.
    Now with 253% more Madness.
    Cute-Kelli by @Sessizlik.
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    Reux said:

Edit

This seems like something best left up to us. For instance, I don't think I'm the only Shaman that will be interested in learning about these guys, seeing whether or not we can have some sort of accord.
    Kelliara
  • Reux said:

Librams?
    Reux
  • Some offhand observations. Am I the only whole who feels like like a lot of utility/PvE skills were excised from the Cabalist skillsets to make way for a lot of PvP oriented abilities (most, if not the entire two new skillsets)?

With the loss of Necromancy also comes with the loss of access to vigour, sapience, and soulcage. Numerology skills have also largely been tweaked. While empowering Jherza, Numerology collapse hardly cures for much, if it's supposed to be an imitation of vigour. At 5% health regeneration per item collapsed every 2.79s, it's not... at all very significant. Gone is Rafic/fixation, which allows me return back to a previously set place (provided there's no monolith on the location). Link has also been restricted a little more, sliding it down to a max of 50% damage redirection. Constitution has been removed, and replaced with dilation on a 10-min timer. Is there a way to view what positive/negative effects from Numerology dilation I am currently being influenced by without looking at STARGAZE and HELP ASTRONOMY? Perhaps add the details in the diagnose line.

I also feel like the Archivist class has also taken a hit in terms of "tankiness". I'm not sure how powerful Crux as a bashing skill is compared to other classes atm (I tried testing it earlier but my crit chance % is affecting my ability to properly test how hard it would be for people to survive certain places) but I hope it makes up for the changes.

Any intentions of adding further utility to empowered numbers?

**************************[ Minipets Loyal to Elene ]**************************
    Pet Number Name Active?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    a numerologist's gre 292607 Unnamed
    *******************************************************************************

A numerologist's gremlin cuts a sharp caper, its tiny feet pounding fiercely at the floor. [Dance]
    A numerologist's gremlin curses you, your family, and your livestock in its incomprehensible tongue of Chaos. [Speak]

^ That's kind of cool, at least. I never knew we had one.
  • Link can potentially be even more powerful than it was this way, than it was when it forced all the damage to mana first. If you set it to 50%, dividing the damage equally between your health and mana pools, you'll gain a lot more benefit from moss and natural regeneration, since they'll be recovering both at once.
  • The change to link as a 50/50 split so damage is shared equally does make it better than it used to be, I agree.
  • RhoynnRhoynn Hartford
    @Elene

As someone who played a non-PK Cabalist, I can't really speak much to what was gained or what was lost, except to say that I do feel Numerology has been streamlined to be a more valid PK skill, and one that works (Fairly seamlessly) in conjunction with its sister skillsets. However, I will agree that with the loss of a few things (Fixation, Shroud, Lifevision, Soulcage, etc) I do feel that we've been pushed much harder into a 'support PK' role.

While I miss the utility and support of these skills as an individual player (A lot of the Necro stuff we had was -super- useful in adding solid defs), I do feel that the new Archivist class more adequately reflexes the mixture of 'Old Cabalist, Spirean Carnifex, Utterly New Thing' that it's supposed to be. We're not Cabalists, and losing Necromancy, I think, was key to that. While some of the skills could have certainly remained (For instance, I see -NO- reason why, if we're able to force our body to naturally produce adrenaline or steroids, or make diseases out of our own will, why we can't still see life forces or protect our souls?), I think cutting them away helps create the new tone of Archivists.

Hopefully, once Archivists really get out into the field, we'll see how the lower amount of defs and the heavy focus on Aff'ing really works in live combat, and if any changes need to be made.

RE: Gremlin, it's my understanding that that's a pretty new thing, given to old Cabalists (Or maybe all new Archivists?) as a consolation. It's a cool little thing. I like to see it as a remnant of our losing Domination
  • Apparently crux is throwing 2500 damage or so per 3.5 seconds neutral eq at a 17 int. Or it was. This makes it a really, really viable bashing attack. I'd be curious how well it scales to higher int, or if it has been tweaked a bit.

• Every time I see someone mention the gremlin mini pet I just get so mad because I didn't get a ghast one. :(
    (Web): Toz says, "Emir's Express Evacuation and Existence Eradicator, Every Experience is Explosive - Experience the Entirety of your Existence!"
  • Crux damage is identical to Cabalist's decay damage, except it has a 3.01s eq time instead of a 2.84s eq time. That's the only difference I've noticed, as a heavy basher.

Old Link, based off of what I saw while bashing, used to drop health first before dropping mana, but you didn't die until both pools hit 0. In terms of raw bashing power, old link was much better. In terms of balance and 'cool' factor? New link is much better.

Yes, it scales hard with higher int. 17 int = 1680-ish dmg for me, 18 int = 1744.