Lore questions.

Comments

• edited January 2017
    Duiran about two hours after lunchtime.
    LinSibattiEmelleXenia
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    There's multiple mountains but I honestly don't know which one is the highest.
  • Joke answer aside, I think thematically it would be that one mountain that the Fellowship of Explorers leader hangs out on. Redwing?
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    I don't know that just doesn't feel right. I mean it's like a few rooms off of the highway compared to some where the areas are like HUGE and sprawling with BIG CLIMBS.
  • I feel like Skyreach may be the highest point, as it is atop the Mountains, then you have to climb multiple levels, it seems it is likely the biggest peak?
  • Runas said:

I feel like Skyreach may be the highest point, as it is atop the Mountains, then you have to climb multiple levels, it seems it is likely the biggest peak?

Do you mean Skythrone? If not, where the heck is Skyreach?

Also, I feel like (if you that's what you meant) Skythrone is probably a bit shorter these days than it used to be. :blush:
    Now with 253% more Madness.
    Cute-Kelli by @Sessizlik.
    Runas
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    edited January 2017
    Ooh, geography time!

In response to @Kelliara's question:

Mount Redwing does not have the correct descriptions to denote it as the highest point. It simply refers to ascending or descending as being an athletic activity.

The Pillars of Rahn are described as rising from the Tarean peaks, but also show other peaks in the distance. I'm going to assume these to be the Three Widows.

While Mount Heylai and Mount Hubride never reach any real heights, the top of Mount Humgurd claims the view is unobstructed, showing off the eastern part of the Tundra, and distant valleys and forests. I am assuming this means it rises above the Pillars of Rahn and everything else around it.

Stormcaller Crags offers a magnificent view of the tundral landscape all the way to Spinesreach, which sounds to me as if it reaches higher altitudes than even Mount Humgurd.

Mount Sheine, which houses the community of Grecht in Arget Massai, is described as a "lofty perch atop the Siroccians". It can still house life, and running water in the form of small streams run through the settlement if you look at the descriptions, but at the same time, the aeries around the place speak of thinning air.

My bet is going to be on the Vashnar mountains. There are many locations where one can see evidence of its height:
    - In the Eastern Itzatl rainforest, the mountains are explained to be above the clouds, barren due to the colder temperatures. One can see several peaks above the clouds from here.
    - The range also has a long-inactive volcano inside it, atop which perches Dun Fortress. It never speaks of reaching heights to compare with the mountain range, and only describes leaving the stifling air of the jungle behind while climbing up to the fortress.
    - The Vashnars have several rooms describing the climb to the very top inside the resort area, with a natural transition from plantlife to barren rock. The very top of the peak claims to surpass the rest around it with a good view of things as far away as Spinesreach's spires.

AishiaMarienaMihaketiEmelleKelliaraSarkisVash
  • Kelliara said:

Runas said:

I feel like Skyreach may be the highest point, as it is atop the Mountains, then you have to climb multiple levels, it seems it is likely the biggest peak?

Do you mean Skythrone? If not, where the heck is Skyreach?

Skythrone is joining with Spinesreach to become Skyreach!

SibattiKelliaraFyrrenRunas
  • AxiusAxius where I am
    With Ylem being the source of most things, would you say Steampunk is more and more everpresent on the Horizon? We are still rather gothic over on Sapience, but Albedos comes off as distinctly Steam-punk.. so would it be theoretically possible for the more...fantasy sections of Steam punk to be possible as a result? Things like steam-punk body augmentation and such, of course. The mixture of steampunk with biological parts?
    Fyrren
  • edited January 2017
    Axius said:

With Ylem being the source of most things, would you say Steampunk is more and more everpresent on the Horizon? We are still rather gothic over on Sapience, but Albedos comes off as distinctly Steam-punk.. so would it be theoretically possible for the more...fantasy sections of Steam punk to be possible as a result? Things like steam-punk body augmentation and such, of course. The mixture of steampunk with biological parts?

Oh, oh! I have a theory about this!

My theory is that Albedos became Steam-punkish out of necessity.

What I mean is that Albedos had been traditionally free of the following: Ylem. Gods. Mystical and magickal forces that the folks of Sapience have woven into their everyday lives. Due to this, they've had to come up with alternatives avenues of advancement. Literally every class in Sapience (except Wayfarers now, but they were Albedi originally, so they don't count) has some sort of mystical/magickal thing going on somewhere.

The Albedi don't have any of this, so they've advanced in a different direction, which is why they appear more advanced in terms of technology, but couldn't sling a lightning bolt to save their lives.

I could be wrong, but that's what I deduced based on the information I have.
    FyrrenEmelleXeniaTeaniRunas
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    Regular dudes probably try to make technological advancements and then we roll thru and bash the whole village out and they forget what they were doing.
    FyrrenKelliaraArbreXeniaSeirVash
  • Rapid fire question round:

What's the average height of all the playable races? (to clarify, I don't mean the combined average height, but rather the average height of each individual race)
    Do vampire minions (the new ones) have sentience, or are they just blood animated corpse puppets?
    What about golems?
    Are monks telekinitic as well as telepathic?
    How long is a piece of string?
    What exactly is a raloth?
    Is the gender of a God defined by Their vessel, or preference, or something else entirely?

And finally,

Why ARE Nazetu so darn slimy?

EmelleSessizlikFyrren
  • KerrynKerryn The Black Flagon Inn
    Kelliara said:

Rapid fire question round:

Yes, monks are telekinitic. We can pick people up and throw them with mind wrench as well as some other skills that could be considered telekinitic. We're also well known for picking up our monastery and moving it with our minds. We also have moved Moghedu in the same fashion.

• TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    Kelliara said:

An Aetolian piece of string is -exactly- how long you need it to be. Always.

EmelleXeniaBufordLeanaRunas
  • SaritaSarita Empress of Bahir'an The Pillars of the Earth
    Kelliara said:

Do vampire minions (the new ones) have sentience, or are they just blood animated corpse puppets?
    What about golems?

Everything I've seen suggests yes to the first. I've always assumed golems basically lack sentience, or even if there's anything like it, the powers of animation essentially overpower it by making the golem so tightly bound to the teradrim that it has to do everything that it's been ordered or trained to do. ICly, they aren't supposed to have souls, but I think vampires aren't supposed to either?
  • Kelliara said:

What's the average height of all the playable races? (to clarify, I don't mean the combined average height, but rather the average height of each individual race)
    What about golems?
    What exactly is a raloth?
    Is the gender of a God defined by Their vessel, or preference, or something else entirely?

And finally,

Why ARE Nazetu so darn slimy?

1) As a general baseline, but recognizing that a wide degree of variance exists:
    • Arqeshi, Horkval, Nazetu, Ogres and Trolls stand about a head to a head and a half taller than the average human.
    • Grecht, Grook, Orcs, and Rajamala stand about the same height as the average human.
    • Atavians, Kelki, Mhun and Tsol'aa are almost the average human height, but perhaps half a head shorter.
    • Dwarves stand about a head to a head and a half shorter than the average human.
    • Finally, Imps stand about two heads or more shorter than the average human.
    2) Yes. They are sentient, and they exist under the sole dominion of their creator.

3) Golems are not sentient, but they also exist under the sole dominion of their creator.

4) Yes, as explained by Kerryn.

5) As long as you need it to be, as explained by Teani.

6) There are ways of finding an answer to this question IC, which I invite you to pursue.

7) Gods are above such things as gender. Many fit some standard of masculinity or femininity, while others - like Slyphe - are more difficult to categorize. Shell, while influencing a God's expression of gender, is not the sole determining factor.

8) The Nazetu are indigenous to hot, humid tropical islands! The sliminess is a hypersecretion mechanism that prevents them from overheating as easily. It is for this reason that the level 75 racial abilities for both Arqeshi and Nazetu involve cold in some fashion.
    SessizlikXenia
  • Are many telepathic abilities the result of accessing a dimension (like Dendara or an elemental plane), or more of a gestalt subconscious network comprised of all sentient beings that Telepaths can tap into more readily than others? Or is it sort of a combination of the two?
  • edited February 2017
    Sarkis said:

Are many telepathic abilities the result of accessing a dimension (like Dendara or an elemental plane), or more of a gestalt subconscious network comprised of all sentient beings that Telepaths can tap into more readily than others? Or is it sort of a combination of the two?

It operates along similar lines to tells. It is a degree of natural telepathy that all Sapient, (EDIT: sentient) creatures possess, but Telepaths are capable of utilizing and weaponizing that natural telepathy to a far greater degree.
    KerrynSarkisHadrak
  • Do the various races have traditional singing styles that are analogous to ones we find in real life? For instance, Rajamala perform something like Chinese Opera, Dwarves have something like Yodeling?
  • edited February 2017
    Sarkis said:

Do the various races have traditional singing styles that are analogous to ones we find in real life? For instance, Rajamala perform something like Chinese Opera, Dwarves have something like Yodeling?

Not an answer, but a pause for clarification - what do you mean by analogous?

Certainly, in those Aetolian cultures that are clear parallels to real-world ones (e.g. the Rajamala follow Aztec cues, the Indyuk follow Inuit cues), you can draw the reasonable inference that their music is along similar lines to that of their real-world counterparts. Where comparisons are less apt, err on the side of caution, or assume that the races in question have multiple traditions and be sure that any RP you create around a musical tradition is potentially open to the existence of others. In many cases, Aetolian music will break down by region more so than race; each of the cities have distinctive styles that thread through the lands they control.
    KelliaraSibattiSeir
    I'm trying to imagine a dwarf yodeling, but I just can't.
  • Tellsoff to stop monks?

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

• Toz said:

Tellsoff to stop monks?

Probably not, since Telepathy is the equivalant of taking a battering ram to someones mental gates.

Whereas tells is more like getting a phone call. Which you then ignore, and send to voicemail (i.e. messages)
  • SeirSeir Seein' All the Things Getting high off your emotion
    With the displacement of the Tsol'aa after the Aalen incident and the destruction of the people of Tasur'ke, I know that Tsol'aa culture has primarily moved on to worship of the late Lleis, or at least Her tenets, as well as overall reverence for nature in general.

However, prior to this, did the Tsol'aa have any kind of faith or elements of their culture that have been lost to time? My assumption was that Tsol'aa put emphasis on ancestor worship, if anything, but mostly only cared for living in communion with the area around them. Any clarification on this would be appreciated.
  • HadrakHadrak Dorohedoro
    Seir said:

However, prior to this, did the Tsol'aa have any kind of faith or elements of their culture that have been lost to time?

A great deal of the Tsol'aa's original worship (and customs) were not recorded and, subsequently, lost to time. The Tsol'aa have undergone several diasporas in their history. You might see it crop up down the road with some developments with the few surviving Tsol'aa denizens.

SeirRunasKelliara
  • What is the lore behind the Radiant Valley in the Shamtota Hills? And the broken sceptre pieces with the beam of light in the same?
    Avatar courtesy of Eleanor. Thank you!
    ~~

~~
    Always interested in knowing how I'm doing!
  • ErzsebetErzsebet Altaholic
    I know the beam of light is part of the Niuri starstone quest. Don't know if it has any other lore, but there's that at least.
    imageimage
    I'm about 97% sure that the Radiant Valley used to be a landmark room from the necromancy/devotion era. That was one of its two possible appearances based on which side was winning, and when the landmarks stopped, it stayed permanently in that form.
  • Oh, how interesting! Thank you both for the answers.
    Avatar courtesy of Eleanor. Thank you!
    ~~

~~
    Always interested in knowing how I'm doing!