City Gathering Rooms

OleisOleis Producer EmeritusAdministrator, Immortal
What do you consider the 'gathering' room of your city, where players end up congregating? Could be nostalgic or something more current.
You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
[---]
"^," Slyphe agrees with you.

Comments

• LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    Duiran: the Core of the Great Oak, sometimes the western entrance too.
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    Sometimes people go to the Ivory Bough too but it's a bit less common. Or the waterfall room east of the west entrance.
  • EmelleEmelle Dreamshaper Tecpatl's Cradle
  • Spines has a few. Inner Gate, obviously, the Grand Hallway, and there are a handful of few taverns people congregate in, though that takes some doing. Brass Monkey, Hound and Halberd, Tasting Room.

Getting people together is never hard in Spines, although I've NEVER seen people in the Winterbreeze
    KelliaraZailaXeniaTeani
  • RhyotRhyot Bloodloch
    Bloodloch: Nowhere, because nobody idles in the city and there's few Bloodlochians anyway....

But if we MUST name a few places: Crack in the Mountainside, West Gate, East Gate, Boiling Point, or Portals

• Duiran is definitely the core and one east of the west entrance.
    Bloodloch, I've seen people idle at West Gate.
    Spinesreach seems to be the Inner Gate, Outer Gate, and the Directory. Actually, a lot of people tend to idle at directories.

I miss the old days of idling at NoT.

You know what would increase idling and gathering spots? A "Gorgon Lucky Charm"! (see: Artifact ideas thread).

Mihaketi
  • SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    The Eno training courtyard in the Templar guildhall is very popular amongst certain segments of the population.

• KodazaKodaza Los Angeles
    Emelle said:

Enorian: The Landward Gate, Temple of the Gods, the Altar of Fire and Water.

There's certainly reasons to be at the Altar, and people wind up lingering there. But it's not a place I think I would seek out casually compared to the other two? It's so high up!

I see "a garden of scintililies" used occasionally as well.

Emelle
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    @Xanchol is so right about Spinesreach and that's what makes me happy. It's never difficult to congregate in Spines. See someone standing somewhere? Go there and stand with them. Most times they actually respond. Need to practice combat? Go to the Training yard in the Ironmaw and call out for a punching bag and someone is likely to agree (probably drunk enough not to know it involves them getting killed, or they don't care and just thinks it's fun to help out).

Xenia
  • Ages ago there was frequent activity at duiran's pub. So long ago that I don't remember its name though. Player effort can make a location popular, but without that effort it always reverts to locations that attract people for reasons such as:
    Defense (gates)
    Traveling point
    Convenience
    Nostalgia/habit

• I also miss NoT.

Those were the days.
    LeanaEmir
  • Seth said:

I also miss NoT.

Those were the days.

Right. The perfect example of nostalgia/habit. It was popular originally (achaea) because it was a:

crossroads
    important devotion shrine location
    not-entirely-arbitrary distance from Ashtan
    because of the above, it was also worth major brag points if you were the top dog there. "Oh yeah, I'm so badass I can idle at NoT. Woo me."

So even years later in another mud where shrines didn't even exist, people gathered to talk shit and pretend to be offended so they could fight.
  • Wasn't much fighting there in my day. That was SE, heh.