Fishing

123457»

Comments

• I'm pretty sure that Gulleye rod is a scam, myself. It lets you catch bigger fish but you also fail like 4x as often and it takes the maximum amount of time each time (catches are faster than line stress-out). I'll go run the numbers, maybe.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

Didi
  • again. I reiterate my idea, and why I think it should be implemented:

Distance is not a one-way street factor in the fishing mechanic. This fact alone means that tension being such makes fishing larger fish stupid and pointless. It's a race against time, and by that point, you're looking at wanting to reduce your balance times as far as possible. And when tension gain is every tic, and double-gain every reel, I doubt that balance would be a viable option, it'd only reduce the number of tics you get.

Yes, I hear everyone saying that leading and thereby tiring out a fish will help. Yes. It does. It makes Ilmenite rod fishing POSSIBLE. It doesn't do jack-squat for Gulleye fishing.

There NEEDS to be a way to reduce tension. Hopefully as a tradeoff for distance. With too much distance being a factor of losing the fish as well.

I am not the only one to compare to Lithmeria's fishing, but that was because it was a carefully constructed and well balanced fishing system.

You had tension, (fish's) fatigue, and distance. You had to balance the first and last, and it got easier over time as the fish got more and more tired.

Too much tension, your line snapped. Too much distance, your fish got away.

Ultimately this made fishing the largest sizes of fish an actual fight of balancing your tension versus your distance as you wear the fish's fatigue down before reeling it in.

By no means did this actually make the largest fish easier to catch when you fatigued them. Bigger fish, even when tired, still did have the power to draw your line out FAR when you were leading them along to ease the tension, and if you were reeling, they could easily drive the line tension pretty dang high pretty dang quickly.

As a result, the mechanic became an actual fight with each fish that was interesting, fun, and not very easily automated (people did it, they didn't get it done easily. I liked manualling it with keybindings)

Is there ANY way for the code to be adjusted to allow for this kind of mechanic to be put into place? Where tension can actually be managed by the player, instead of by the game's code? Maybe by swapping the code for the fish's fatigue for the code on the tension lines?
    The rushing sound of waves breaking upon a shore fills your mind as Slyphe imparts to you, "Meltas is a bit..special sometimes..."
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    introduce trawling racial to raceskills so I can eat raw fish.
    AtrapoemaMihaketi
  • HadrakHadrak Dorohedoro
    Xandren said:

again. I reiterate my idea, and why I think it should be implemented

We're aware of the issues with the formula and have some changes in the works for August.

Xandren
  • I don't know if this has been mentioned, and I'm too lazy to go over all the pages. I bought an artifact rod at low level fishing rank, and noticed that it was in fact slowing down my progress. Apparently it makes you catch the bigger, tougher to catch fish, and since my rank wasn't very high, it was almost impossible to make a bunch of catches without using fishing lead way too much, and even then sometimes it wouldn't work. I switched back to a bamboo rod and everything works faster with more level-appropriate fish.
  • aside from balance: Do stats affect fishing at all?
    The rushing sound of waves breaking upon a shore fills your mind as Slyphe imparts to you, "Meltas is a bit..special sometimes..."
  • Also! Could we somehow know the number of fish in the bucket just by probing it?
  • could Som explain most of the seemingly "self explanatory" items in his shop? I get the hat and the bucket.. but why not the OTHER items?
    Ingram
  • edited August 2016
    So, I was spending this morning... trying to grab fishing locations for a neat fish finding thing I am gonna make when I made an observation... I thought it important to post because it doesn't make sense for me that it works this way.

So best example would be to start with the river in Pash... over by the delta.. we'll say

v1599:Pachacacha west of the Putoran.

On discern it says
    You are standing within the Pachacacha River.
    The river waters teem with a silvery minnow, 6 of a river herring, 7 of a white sucker, 8 of a dark brown crayfish, a bluefin killifish, 2 of a swamp muskie, 20 of a muddy catfish, 5 of a bronze bream, 6 of an oak toad, 2 of a bluegill fish, 5 of a rams-horn snail, 7 of a rainbow trout, a freshwater grayling, 3 of a spotted sunfish, 103 of a bighead carp, 7 of a mottled pike, a blueback salmon, 5 of a drab toadfish, and an olive-hued walleye.

Which is fine... but further up... I assume to show a fishing hole change you get

v1592:Pachacacha valley.
    You are standing within the Pachacacha Valley.
    The river waters teem with 4 of a silvery minnow, 3 of a river herring, a white sucker, 4 of a dark brown crayfish, 3 of a swamp muskie, a muddy catfish, 2 of a bronze bream, 5 of an oak toad, a Rahn's Mace crayfish, 5 of a rainbow trout, a freshwater grayling, 7 of a spotted sunfish, 12 of a bighead carp, a blueback salmon, 5 of a drab toadfish, and an olive-hued walleye.
    and you get relatively the same fish but a new hole. Which is good!

My concern is with that in mind I decided to travel along this river to grab each hole...
    except every area after gave me the same fishing hole "You are standing within the Pachacacha River."
    So I have
    Pash Valley
    v1599:Pachacacha west of the Putoran.
    The river waters teem with a silvery minnow, 6 of a river herring, 7 of a white sucker, 8 of a dark brown crayfish, a bluefin killifish, 2 of a swamp muskie, 20 of a muddy catfish, 5 of a bronze bream, 6 of an oak toad, 2 of a bluegill fish, 5 of a rams-horn snail, 7 of a rainbow trout, a freshwater grayling, 3 of a spotted sunfish, 103 of a bighead carp, 7 of a mottled pike, a blueback salmon, 5 of a drab toadfish, and an olive-hued walleye.
    Shamtota
    v1587:Pachacacha amid the hills.
    The river waters teem with a silvery minnow, 6 of a river herring, 7 of a white sucker, 8 of a dark brown crayfish, a bluefin killifish, 2 of a swamp muskie, 20 of a muddy catfish, 5 of a bronze bream, 6 of an oak toad, 2 of a bluegill fish, 5 of a rams-horn snail, 7 of a rainbow trout, a freshwater grayling, 3 of a spotted sunfish, 102 of a bighead carp, 7 of a mottled pike, a blueback salmon, 5 of a drab toadfish, and an olive-hued walleye.
    Liruma
    v1009:Pachacacha through the marshland.
    The river waters teem with a silvery minnow, 6 of a river herring, 7 of a white sucker, 8 of a dark brown crayfish, a bluefin killifish, 2 of a swamp muskie, 20 of a muddy catfish, 5 of a bronze bream, 6 of an oak toad, 2 of a bluegill fish, 5 of a rams-horn snail, 7 of a rainbow trout, a freshwater grayling, 3 of a spotted sunfish, 102 of a bighead carp, 7 of a mottled pike, a blueback salmon, 5 of a drab toadfish, and an olive-hued walleye.
    v36268:Sentinel stones overlooking curving waters.

All the exact same fish... exact same hole name... but different areas that are far enough away that it doesn't make sense that fishing one out makes them all unfishable...which it does.
    Please correct me if this was intentional.

• ElyniElyni New Zealand
    edited August 2016
    Fishing holes are tied to an area, not a room. Pachacacha River/Valley (I think) are classed as one area.

It sucks given how big Rivers / Lakes / Oceans, but that's how it is. It's the same with Libec Cay where both 'holes' are split up either side of it, yet it still counts as one.
  • You aren't understanding me then
    I went to different areas and they were all linked to the same hole. I was all the way to dakota hills and it was linked to the SAME fishing hole as by Peshwar delta.
  • ElyniElyni New Zealand
    I am understanding you just fine. All areas you showed are a part of the Pachacacha, which runs through several different areas, yet still counts as the Pachacacha hole, which is intended; it's the same body of water... Hence wording it how I did.
  • I would agree if the TWO holes listed on the SAME pachacacha river in pash valley weren't there.... in fact second hole separates the first from the entire rest of the river.
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    edited February 2017
    Spreading your maw wide, you shove an oak toad into your mouth and chomp down, obliterating it.
    Spreading your maw wide, you shove a puffer fish into your mouth and chomp down, obliterating it.
    Spreading your maw wide, you shove a muddy catfish into your mouth and chomp down, obliterating it.
    I BEAT THE SYSTEM UNICORNERS.
    MihaketiValingar
  • Aishia said:

Spreading your maw wide, you shove an oak toad into your mouth and chomp down, obliterating it.
    Spreading your maw wide, you shove a puffer fish into your mouth and chomp down, obliterating it.
    Spreading your maw wide, you shove a muddy catfish into your mouth and chomp down, obliterating it.
    I BEAT THE SYSTEM UNICORNERS.

Jokes on you. That puffer fish will have its revenge before too long!
    Now with 253% more Madness.
    Cute-Kelli by @Sessizlik.
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    U kidding me IT WILL ONLY ADD TO HER ALREADY BOUNTIFUL POISONOUSNESS.
  • Where did all the muddy catfish go? Pachacacha river use to be full, now cant find one in the river or anywhere else.
    @Ashia did you obliterate them all? :/
  • Nevermind, they are back. Must have been hiding in the mud. :p
  • I bought the artifact rod this morning - doesn't appear to be any better than the Gulleyes rod.

At 0% fish strength, I'm still getting +14% line for - 11% distance. Once you add in the +line while leading the fish down it makes it impossible to catch that fish.

Is there something I'm doing wrong or is there a bug with the artifact rod? :/

Cheers.
  • I'm actually seeing more success with the Gulleye rod, in general, than I was getting with an artifact rod and bucket.
  • The bucket I like.

Maybe the rod needs a bit more tension fix and a reduced balance cost - I'm already running +bal and it still doesn't pass muster.
  • yay fishing keep up the excellent work
    SeirMihaketi